Lost knowledge

Does it make you cringe?

"Arresting thousands of natives suspected of idolatry, Landa supervised the torture of more than 4,500 people over the course of three months; many were tortured to death.

On July 12, 1562, at the Maní mission, Landa oversaw a huge auto-da-fé, a public spectacle meant to demonstrate the superior moral and political power of the Christian Church. Huge piles of idols were set to the torch and many convicted idolaters were put to the lash.
The inquisitions and tortures continued, as did the destruction of idols. Many of the so-called idols were Maya sacred books. Only three survived the fires. Scholars consider the destruction of these sacred Maya texts among the most tragic losses of accumulated human knowledge in world history.

Other urls found in this thread:

zmescience.com/science/news-science/canadian-clay-antibiotic-resistant-24052016/
io9.gizmodo.com/a-civilization-without-war-1595540812
pastebin.com/tdkd7Ja5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script
youtube.com/watch?v=qBF0jaK1RnE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_artworks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>"books"
>without words

ISIStianity. Enough said.

Lost mayan texts would have shed a lot of light on their society, but there probably wouldn't have been anything groundbreaking. We can still see a lot of what they left behind, and it's pretty rudimentary.

Now, the Libraries of Alexandria that have burned down? FUCK.

What do you mean without words? you do know its another writting system right?

The first loss that comes to my mind are the works of the Roman Emperor Claudius, who reportedly wrote an Etruscan history and dictionary. It did not come down to us, and would have been an excellent source on the civilised peoples living in Italy before the Latins. Not to mention his several volumes on Carthage.

And then there is the so- called Q document, which would be a collection of things Jesus had said, by which the gospels would have constructed their books.

A damn shame

Manichean and Cathar/bogomile texts have been mostly lost sadly.

Fucking cunts. ISIS tier degenerates.

Believe it or not those balls with drawings inside are letters.

Literally everyone did this across history.

You should give more credit to the natives. There is always something "new" to learn from ancient people.

"a rare clay used as medicine by aboriginals in northern B.C. contains antibacterial properties that could be used to treat antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Some 400 kilometres north of Vancouver, on the Heiltsuk First Nation's traditional territory, sits a 400-million kilogram deposit of glacial clay in Kisameet Bay that scientists believe was formed near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 10,000 years ago.

The grey-green clay, known as Kisolite, has been used for centuries by the Heiltsuk First Nations to treat a range of ailments, including ulcerative colitis, arthritis, neuritis, phlebitis, skin irritation, and burns. Locals have also historically used the clay for eczema, acne and psoriasis.

The clay exhibits potent antibacterial activity against multidrug-resistant pathogens.

Testing conducted by UBC microbiologist Julian Davies and researcher Shekooh Behroozian found that the clay, suspended in water, killed 16 strains of ESKAPE bacteria samples.
As a result of those tests, the scientists recommend the clay be studied as a clinical treatment for serious infections caused by ESKAPE strains of bacteria, a group of potentially deadly pathogens that cause many infections to "escape" antibiotics.

"Infections caused by ESKAPE bacteria are essentially untreatable and contribute to increasing mortality in hospitals," said Davies, the co-author of a paper published Tuesday in the American Society for Microbiology's mBio journal.

Link from zmescience.com/science/news-science/canadian-clay-antibiotic-resistant-24052016/

I'm pretty mad the Spaniards destroyed all those Inca Quipus. That's like a couple hundred years of economic information we'll never see. We could potentially construct a model of the Inca planned economy and study how it worked but the retarded Spaniards were like "duhhh evil witchcraft knots! Burn!'

I'm so glad Spain is suffering right now, they bring it on themselves by being arrogant morons.

Look "books"without words" lets burn them!

The Allies actually almost destroyed the Dresden Codex (Basically the largest and most informative Mayan document we have) during the Dresden Firebombings of World War 2

The more you know.

How can you know for sure? Those books could have documented the history of Mesoamerica and detailed what techniques and methods they used to build all of their structures

They are words, not our fault you can't read the Maya script. The Mayan writing system is actually similar to Japanese in that it uses both a sylabic and logographic system. And they interchange often.

Wasn't it some Russian soldier who rescued it and later would go on to help decipher it?

This makes me butthurt every time. This is among the worst, but another example that frosts me is how the Romans destroyed the library of Carthage.

The burning of the House of Knowledge. I actually feel a little sad when I think about rivers running black wither ink

What if the destruction was a coordinated revisionism of history by God to prevent a greater tragedy from coming to pass?

Imagine if we had developed nuclear weapons before we had formalized the United States of America. Everyone in the world would have wanted a piece of that, and had the means to take it by using Mayan technology.

Why did the Annunaki want to create a Dyson Sphere for?

Why was the Antikythera Mechanism hidden inside the deepest trench in the world - what were they trying to hide?

Why was the making of Greek Fire only passed down by one family?

How did the Harappan civilization avoid war for two millenia? io9.gizmodo.com/a-civilization-without-war-1595540812

What are Puma Puncu and Göbekli Tepe, and where did those people go?

Library of Alexandria in Egypt. In the ancient world this library was the most impressive in scale, longevity and achievement. It fell victim to accidents, arson, vandalism and the actions of early Christian zealots. That it survived so long is remarkable if we consider the series of disasters. During its heyday, the library absorbed as many texts as possible. Legends tell how all visiting ships were required to hand over their texts for copying by library staff. As a hub of Empire it had access to the writings of conquered nations and neighbours. Imagine the collections of Egyptian papyrii that would have been in there!

I sure wish there were words here, oh well lets burn it

Claudius wasn't the best emperor but he was certainly the most likable and sympathetic

The red army destroyed a shit ton of artifacts and texts during the cultural revolution b/c Mao blamed historical Chinese thought for their economic failure, lul

neat, but medicinal clay arose in many other cultures

To paraphrase Lindybeige, you can always identify a middle-class person by whether or not they wince whenever they hear the burning of the library of Alexandra mentioned.

It's probably one of my softest spots. Knowledge, no matter how seemingly insignificant is such. A fucking terrible thing to destroy.

To do so purposely just blows my fucking mind.

I think everyday about the history being destroyed by ISIS right this moment and it saddens me.

>cites library of alexandria meme
>fails to recognize how much we could have learned about one of the most sophisticated societies in the Americas and how it developed in total isolation from the Old World
baka senpai

Neat. I wonder what mechanism or structure it inhibits.

Too bad it'll be overused and bacteria will develop resistance in a couple years like every other antibiotic.

A tragedy like the burning of the library of Alexandria. Christianity thrives on ignorance, even to this day (muh creation """""""science""""""")

leave medicine to niggers and they'll start "curing" themselves with mud

Thanks to monasteries a lot of history/science/philosophy has been preserved. Of course your euphoria is through the roof to realize this and you probably get all your information from Wikipedia.

>great historical movements have both positive and negative consequences

>Hey guys we didn't burn all the books from antiquity (just a huge portion of them), we even copied some of the more useful and tame ones
ChristIslamity preserved shieet

WE WHZ PRESERVERS N SHIET!

No, I don't care about all those missing books on how to perform "magic" and how a certain position of a star is an omen or how you shouldn't anger the volcano gods by killing a virgin every third full moon or how Bob the chief god was able to kill 40 demons with his teeth.

we also know that some monestaries took greco-roman era philosophy/math/science texts and scraped off the ink to make hymnals and prayer books....preservation was often scelective or depending on who was in charge....some monks were fine with knowledge outside of religion and others felt that anything not firmly based in christianity was outside of god

What are you talking about? Which supposed books are these?

Most of the lost books are pseudoscience and useless philosophy.

t. time traveler

>we will never have a narrative history of the 3rd century AD

why dont they do advanced xray scans to see if there is any residual ink?

there were probably a lot of interesting histories and interesting stories/jokes etc.. even the useless books would tell us something about the beliefs and society of the time

>Goes to a history discussion board
>Doesn't care about the preservation of historical documents

Royal library of the Kings of Burma
The British looted the palace at the end of the 3rd Anglo-Burmese War (some of the artefacts which were taken away are still on display in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London) and burned down the royal library.

Ironically, while we did lose a lot of Aztec records from the Spainish conquering them, a lot of the Aztec records were already destroyed due to Montezuma 1's brother Tlacaelel who rewrote Aztec religion to focus more on human sacrifice and burned everything from before then.

What DOES hurt my soul that we lost from the Aztecs is their capital (sorta) Tenochtitlan

Every god damn account the Spanish have them being dumbstruck at how pretty and large it was, bigger and more wondrous then anything in Spain or any city they had even heard about even in stories. We also know it was actually amongst the largest cities in the world at the time, population wise only being behind Constantinople, Cairo, Bejing, and like one other place

>"Our astonishment was indeed raised to the highest pitch, and we could not help remarking to each other, that all these buildings resembled the fairy castles we read of in Amadis de Gaul; so high, majestic, and splendid did the temples, towers, and houses of the town, all built of massive stone and lime, rise up out of the midst of the lake. Indeed, many of our men asked if what they saw was a mere dream. And the reader must not feel surprised at the manner in which I have expressed myself, for it is impossible to speak coolly of things which we had never seen nor heard of, nor even could have dreamt of, beforehand."

If you want more, here's a pastebin with some more: pastebin.com/tdkd7Ja5

Anyways, after the Aztecs got BTFO'd by smallpox and the returning conquistadors came back with Tlaxcalan troops and mopped up, they dismantled the whole city, and new spain aka mexico city was built right on top of the ruins. The lakes the city and it's neighbors were built on got drained in the 1700's, and that's also why the axolotl's are extinct in the wild.

So thanks Spain, we traded this for modern day Mexico city.

By the time the Library of Alexandria was "destroyed" (read: gradually decayed), most of the works it housed had been copied or transferred to other libraries. We didn't miss much.

be careful not the die with that edge

I'll never understand why they felt the need to dismantle the cities. I understand tearing down the temples (jesuschrist fuck yeah!) but why the rest of the city?

There has been some scholarship suggesting that the Q document might still exist as the Gospel of Thomas, or that the Gospel of Thomas may at least be the most closely related descendent of it.

>Wanting Templo Mayor to be taken down anyways even if the rest was kept intact

but for what purpose

I was going to say this too. That one cuts me deep.

Fucking Mongols, I swear to god.

guys, most of the city was destroyed in the final siege of the city by Cortes. There was extremely fierce urban warfare and the aztecs fought tooth and nails before they were destroyed. This was not a "mopping up operation" by Tlaxcalan troops; the spanish had to build portable ships that could be reassembled on the lagoon and shoot cannons on the city and maintain the siege. In the city itself, the spaniards had to fight one street at a time, and it was easier to burn buildings down and clear out the rubble to prevent ambushes and getting killed by rubble getting hurled at them by the aztecs on the roof.

>This was not a "mopping up operation" by Tlaxcalan troops

My understanding was by the time the Spanish got back with the tlaxacalans most of the mexica were dying from smallpox and famine already.

What makes you think if you actually lived in that time, you wouldnt have done the same?

You are just a pathetic idiot who has no idea of time context.

mayascript

heh

Landa was a fucking piece of shit. Even the pope (who was in favor of the inquisition) told him to chill because he was on-par with Hitler. Soooo few people can actually described as being on a level with Hitler.

yes, this is true. but the aztecs put up a fierce resistant nonetheless. the diseases, as far as i know, were devastating, but so long as one maintained a healthy diet/lifestyle the effect of it could be blunted, though it was probably a terrible ordeal nonetheless. so when the conquistadors came back to siege tenochtitlan there were still many thousands of warriors, not to mention inhabitants, who could still repulse the invaders. the strains of the siege, however, intensified the incidence of disease and cause much death, but you also have to remember that the tlaxcalans were just as susceptible to disease. iirc thousands of tlaxcalans perished trying to take the city and there was actually a mass grave made for all those who died.

>someone's ancestors did something to someone else, so that means they should suffer!!!!!
autism everyone

There was a history book written by a historian accompanying Alexander the great. There were log books detailing each day. All gone.

Greek writers praised painters. If they're skill was equal to their sculptures then they were probably pretty good. Masterpieces that were referenced are all vibe. All we have are farhun tomb portraits and other minor works fine by lesser craftsmen.

There's a whole library in Pompeii filled with charcoal manuscripts that instantly disintegrate if you open them. Hopefully scientists will figure a way to scan and read these books.

It's a look into a different culture. I find it interesting

>anthropologist hate him!

That's what they call it dingus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script

>Library of Alexandria
I agree, fuck Caesar. It's too bad Christian monastics weren't around at the time to help preserve those works.

You're thinking of the library in the Temple of Serapis in Alexandria. It was a small library, and probably little of value was lost even if it actually was "vandalised", which we don't know that it was. Library of Alexandria was most likely not even in existence anymore at the time.

ALIENS WERE HERE

Totally co-signed.
If I were traveling through time with Steve Austin, no doubt this would be my first stop
youtube.com/watch?v=qBF0jaK1RnE

how do you think we got cicero's more obscure stuff?

hmm didn't know that. I feel like there should be at least a few good finds every year or maybe I just don't hear about them... I remember though they found a lost work of archimedes using xray imaging or something

It happens to sound like "manuscript", you wingding

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_artworks