Red Pill me on the earliest historical human civilization - Ancient Sumer

Red Pill me on the earliest historical human civilization - Ancient Sumer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QUcTsFe1PVs
youtube.com/watch?v=JU4QRxsZhjg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's not Sumer. The chariot came from somewhere around modern day Ukraine, and then eventually spread to the Middle-East around 1800BC. By then, Sumer had already been absorbed by the Akkadians, and the Akkadians had already collapsed.

The Ziggurat in the background indicates that is Sumer.

There aren't any chariots there, just ox carts. Yes they were different.

They built civilisation from mud, because wood and stone were scarce. They knew how to divert rivers so that they could irrigate the land. This gave them the necessary food surplus so that some people could learn trade and crafts instead of working land, so that cities, trade, and art appear.

As a consequence of urbanising very early, the Sumerians can boast many firsts in recorded history; alcohol, standing armies, glue, contracts, even the organisation of time into sets of sixty seconds/sixty minutes.

They are also notable for producing a flood myth which predates the Hebrew bible, the Epic Of Gilgamash.

They shared many of the same pleasures and concerns that we do.

Sumerians weren't the only people with ziggurats. Akkadians, Babylonians, Assyrians and Elamites had them too. Though to be fair, Sumerians, Akkadians and Babylonians are pretty much the same thing.

But is right, that's a fairly typical Sumerian cart (pic related).

Can you tell me about their art and philosophy?

trying to read up on Sumer right now
>Ubaid period villages begin to sprout up in Sumerian area, pottery and agriculture tools mainly (read somewhere that these guys weren't Sumerian but founded a lot of the famous Sumerian cities like Uruk)
>3 way divide between farmers, pastoralists, and fishermen
>Uruk period, villages become actual city-states
>Earliest cuneiform shows up
>Weather changes or Semetic people show up or something and Uruk period ends for some reason
>Jemdet Nasr, whatever
>Early Dynastic, hegemony over Sumer passes from city to city (mainly Uruk, Ur, and Kish)
>Rule of city-states transitions from priest ensi to secular lugals
>Lagash dynasty unifies area under one banner for first time
>Semetic Akkadians (we can't even find Akkad lol) BTFO those weird ass isolate Sumerians and yay first actual empire
>Sargon of Akkad first ruler (name later adopted by YouTube autist)
>Naram-Sin first ruler to declare self a God
>Akkadians fall cuz of weather, revolts, and conflicts with nomads
>Nomad Gutians take over but can't into civilization
>Rule returns to Ur, "Sumerian Renaissance"
>Akkadian mainly spoken, Sumerian reduced to ceremonial and literary language
>Sumerian Renaissance ends because of Amorite invasion and Elam
>among Amorites is first filthy kike Abraham

>every structure ever built disappears when a civilization is conquered

I'd love to know how a bunch of hunter gatherers metastasized into actual civilizations. There has to have been pre-sumerian empires that time has forgotten

Well, you see -

> redpill

Oh, nevermind. Okay, so it was a great civilization that was brought down by feminists and jews.

mandatory for Sumerian threads, here is a recreation of their music youtube.com/watch?v=QUcTsFe1PVs

"no"
innovation was much much much slower back then. how many hundred thousand years of human history passed before we had agriculture?

I guess Gobekli Tepe > Catalhoyuk > Sumer, would be roughly the transition.

>Anatolia site > Anatolia site > Southern Iraq civilization

That's kewt, but I doubt the Sumerians had any way of transcribing their music - I know the Romans didn't. Plus I doubt they woulda put up with music in 3 minute chunks - that's kind of a modern invention.

Gotta give the homo-erotic WWE raw mush up that is the Epic of Gilgamesh some credit for surviving all this time though.

Redpill me on Göbekli Tepe

they had lyres, too youtube.com/watch?v=JU4QRxsZhjg

my bad, thought you were trying to actually show the origins of Sumer, but now realize you're just showing how hunter-gathering transitions to civilization in general

Hunters and Gatherers had civilization.

Yes they did.

Most ancient music is of course reconstructed, and a good amount of it is guesswork. But it most definitely has a basis in ancient notation.

Interesting...

It may be a case of the Sumerians moving en-mass from a threat, landing in Mesopotamia, and realising what a resource the Euphrates and Tigris were, and so settling.

Populations move and settle often in the ancient age.

Is it possible there was a civilization living in what is now the persian gulf, but was wiped out when the ice caps melted?

I don't quite know all that much about how musical archeology is done quit yet, especially not how rhythm is generated. But it seems that there are two schools of thought, one where it appears that they try to make note length correspond with syllabic lengths and phrasing with line breaks on the actual tablets themselves, all very dry and academic, and more intepretive, rubato performances like

>earliest farmers stick to northern Mesopotamia where rainfall can support crops
>after 6500 BC, farming spreads south into central Mesopotamia where rainfall can't support crops
>farmers have to rely on irrigation instead
>after 6200 BC farming reaches the rich alluvial plains of southern Mesopotamia, giving rise to the Ubaid culture
>irrigation based farming in alluvial plain causes rapid population growth
>by 5000 BC Ubaid culture is culturally dominant throughout Mesopotamia
>craft specialization increases, wheel-made pottery appears
>villages grow into towns (architecture consists of reed-houses and small mudbrick temples on platforms)
>after 4000 BC, Ubaid transitions into Uruk Period
>increasing aridity dries marshes, opening up new arable land
>plough and sails invented, copper tools are used
>population increase follows
>increasing population gives rise to cities and increasing social complexity
>increasing social complexity gives rise to kingdoms and organized religion
>increasing economic and administrative complexity gives rise to writing
>Sumer is a fully formed civilization before 3000 BC

Sumer had nothing original. It just had everything in one sport.

The first signs of writing, metallurgy, agriculture, music, pottery etc etc all are outside of Sumer, but Sumer was the area where they all meshed together

not really, the Akkadians and Babylonians were Semites who were just big on Sumerian culture

i like to think of the sumerians like the greek city states and sargon like alexander, unifying them all

it happened so slowly anyone living there could have just moved upstream

What family language does Veeky Forums think sumerian belonged to?

Probably Kartvelian, considering they're both agglutinative

It was we jews, creators of all western civilisation

>Red Pill me
Kill yourself.

fuck off sumerfags

Prehistoric religious practices were likely organized to some extent as well.

I'd say North Caucasian is more likely since Georgians have more of an affinity with neolithic farmers. Some have posited that Kartvelian languages may have originated with migrants fleeing Mesopotamia and settling in the South Caucasus.