How do you feel about neopagans?

How do you feel about neopagans?

Other urls found in this thread:

america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2016/1/a-norse-temple-for-the-21st-century.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I only respect the hellenic ones that actually read up upon all the stuff believers like cicero or ancient philosophers wrote about gods in a way that results in a modernity-compatible religion that doesnt get btfo by the first abrahamic theologician that pokes holes in it.

half nazis half stupid nerds
actually they're all stupid nerds but half of them are nazis

Well, you could argue that other legit ethnocentric religions like yazidis are nazis too them because they are ethnocentric.

The main issue is that it's a revivalist movement that makes up half the stuff as it goes along rather than a preservation of anything.

>any religion
>modernity-compatible

I don't think the nazis were yazidis user

I don't feel neopaganism has genuine root in tradition. Of course there's the argument that "all religions are made up", and I'm ok with that position, but if one does not have that position, if one contends, "this is the correct way to be", modern "pagan" spiritualities don't have appropriate reference or connection to the predecessors.

This is aside from the fact the term "pagan" was literally "anyone who follows a different god than I", so a person who calls himself "pagan" is saying "I worship a different god than I worship" which is ... whatever.

I don't.

Hyperautists, especially Celtic Neopagans. At least Hellenists and Norse Neopagans have some sort of frame of reference for their delusions. We know so little about the ancient Celtic religion that I don't think any genuine belief can come from it.

I get it, I really do. I'm a huge greekaboo but even I can't convince myself that Dionysus is actually real.

>tfw actually interested in Egyptian/Kenetuc stuff but the community is full of egomaniacal cult leaders, insane people who "talk to the gods," and WE WUZ

Irrelevant and silly.

I do have some perennial interest though, and do see pantheist faith, shamanism and many aspects of hinduism as True, especially shamanistic practices I think are very interesting and powerful. I am however having troubled deciding whether this is dangerous and demonic or simply perennial expression that could even become orthodox.

People can do whatever they want I just want them to shut the fuck up about it 99% of the time.

I once had an argument with someone calling themselves a historian who claimed that Ireland wasn't Christianized until the 14th century. I have no idea why he thought this, there's absolutely nothing in historical record to suggest it, and I suspected he might be one of those neopagan types trying to push an agenda.

I looked him up and found this:

>P. Sufenas Virius Lupus is a metagender person, and was the founder of the Ekklesía Antínoou–a queer, Graeco-Roman-Egyptian syncretist reconstructionist polytheist group dedicated to Antinous, the deified lover of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, as well as a practicing Celtic Reconstructionist pagan.

Says it all, really. These people are loons.

>dedicated to Antinous, the deified lover of the Roman Emperor Hadrian
Wait what. Why would you worship someone who you *know* wasn't actually a god?

there no priest class around so they are all just LARPing

It is pretty sad that all the native European religions are dead.

Pls.
People believe in the modern world and will continue their beliefs.
These however will have to be more transcendent and not defie scientific observations.
Muslims had to dump that hadith that said sperm comes from the spine for example in order to stay compatibel.
(Eurasian)
Christians relaxed over the 7 days part.

>not bashing your head bloody at a stone shouting praise to Crom Cruach.

Look up El maries and the "christian" midsummer rites were you light a fire for saints and throw mugwort and other herbs in it.

>be Irish
>once had the misfortune of meeting a group of Neopagans once
>they were all from Dublin and didn't actually speak Irish so they mispronounced the names of the Gods they claimed to worship
>didn't have the heart to tell them

>Abrahamic theologicans
>Poking holes in anything but young boys

That's a bit of a question. Because you're talking about a bunch of disparate movements that don't really have much in common.

I think conceptually, a return to polytheism has potential, and could stand to draw from the philosophical and theological work of the ancient Greeks.

I support further decentralization of faith.

They tend to be oddballs, but are mostly harmless.

Most seem to be edgy retarded neo-nazi who keep spouting how they want to go back to the way of their ancestors and kick the jew god way and bla bla bla ... the fact that there's little to none written works about pagans traditions, make the whole thing stupid. In the end, they're just a group of edgy people dancing around a bonfire and wearing itchy clothes.

On the other hand, there is a few actual neo-pagans who base their practices on a ancient texts, for exemple the Icelandic sagas.
america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2016/1/a-norse-temple-for-the-21st-century.html

I'm okay with them. At least they don't go around planting bomb on someones embassies or hotel.
>inb4 Varg.

Don't forget the very few guys who are technically neo-pagan but only as a result of a larger belief system.

The nazis weren't neopagans either for the most part.

Too lazy to green text
Be Irish
From Dublin
Meet rocker emo looking chap
Talk about religion,
He says he's pagan
I say stfu
He says yeah man come to the hellfire Club we sacrifice a fox
Mfw
Mfw there's no Mfw pic

savage

For all we know the centuries between christianization and the writing down of sagas could have completely altered what the narratives and stories actually were.

A sanitizing is not beyond the realm of possibility

I wish they weren't as lame as they really are. Japan (in b4 weeaboo) has a good thing going on with quasi-on-the-down-low state endorsed Shinto and its particular Japanese flavored Buddhism. China's getting it together but it feels like it's only one rung above neopaganist movements in legitimacy and authenticity.

Picture related. Imagine this but with Wotan or whatever instead of dumpy fat alt-thots and neckbeards.

I can respect the Norse neopagans who actually take it seriously and have dedicated time and effort to building traditional places of Worship

But most people who are neopagan because their politics has overrun their life and they hate non-Europeans so much that they refuse to identify with Christianity because It is technically not a European religion.

Why not create something entirely a-new?

Like Scientology?

Candomble, Umbanda, Santeria, Vodoun, Palo, 21 divisions, Shango, Winti, etc.... Have all done well and are truly beautiful manifestations of Africans diasporic faiths but sometimes I'm around black Americans who don't get it and it's like "Y'all are damn near like the wiccans I grew up around"

Idk maybe it's because I'm not in the black church and converted to a completely different religion but looking at black Americans make other religions into black church or "I'm going to Yoruba down" is cringy, not as bad as Neopagans because we have unbroken lines practice for centuries but it's like when Americans of the U.S. touch anything from Africa or Europe it just...gets stripped from reality.

It's not cringe with immigrants who retained those traditions though.

Christianity in europe sponged up so much european thought that it can be linked to the people living in europe by now.

Buddha came from India, still buddhism was refined in areas beyond the hindu sphere.

I agree with you. Christianity is for all intents and purposes, a European religion, even though It originated from the near east.

That won't change the views of a lot of Neo-pagans.

But does neopaganism come with any philosophy? Or is it just 'worshipping' pagan gods and 'doing' traditions?

Probably just "don't be a cunt"

Met a neopagan priest of 20 years the other week when working the night shift. Wore a big fat Thor's hammer medallion but other than that he seemed alright.

I feel they should stop being edgy.
Seriously, paganism has been dead in the west for centuries and any kind of revival won't do shit.

He's saying half of them are neonazis, dumbass.

So like that wicca stuff "everything is allowed as long as you are not hurting anyone"?

And the proof of this is? I mean you do know that the Sagas have plenty of stuff in them that would seriously offend the average conservative christian, right?

>>I feel they should stop being edgy.
>>Seriously, paganism has been dead in the west for centuries and any kind of revival won't do shit.
That's your opinion, and besides a religion doesn't need to have a billion adherents or some shit.

This. I just don't understand how anyone in this day and age could actually think that Thor or Anubis or Hades or whoever else it is they worship is real.
Not that the existence of gods worshipped in more popular religion is any more plausible, but at least adherents of those religions have the excuse of having been brought up in societies where there's widespread social pressure to believe in them.

Unless you're from some shithole isolated native village in Mexico you don't really have that excuse as an adherent of a "pagan" religion.