Tell me about the Scottish clans Veeky Forums

Tell me about the Scottish clans Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_kilt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Recently wrote my dissertation on Scottish familial systems, what do you want to know?

What sort of authority did clan leaders hold and how did this mesh with the legitimacy and authority of the crown?

Clan Chiefs didn't have absolute or exclusive rights over the land they governed. Ultimately they were subservient to the King and Clan land was regarded as being quasi-communal, at least until the 18th century. The Chief owned the land, his Tacksmen rented the land and allowed his own tenants to farm it, but it was commonly regarded as "Clan land", rather than the Chief's land. Most Kings were happy enough to let the Clans do their own thing, especially once Scottish royal authority started to concentrate in the Lowlands, where Clans existed but were more feudal in their operations. This changed a bit with the later Stuarts but it wasn't until the Union that their power started to be consciously and purposely challenged.

How genetically varied were the clans and were there cadet branches of them like many contemporary monarchies at the time?

Was there a noticeable difference in evolutionary traits such as height, build etc between the lowland and highland situated clans?

>muh ancient clan tartan

tell me about scots
why do they wear the skirts?

Cadet branches of Clans are generally called 'Septs', they sometimes retained the name of their parent clan and added the qualifier "of" and then the new seat of their own Chief, or they might take a different name entirely.

Clans would be as genetically varied as the common people would be, I suppose, it's not really something pre-modern populations were concerned with so we don't really know. You'd occasionally get propaganda about how Lowland clans were just English bootlicks and how the Highland clans were knuckle-dragging barbarians but it's mostly propaganda.

They didn't exist. SNP invention to foster a national identity.

Neat. Were there any clan rivalries or were they all generally quite content with one another?

For that matter, how would a member of these clans see themselves; as a Scotsman first or a McGowan, Arnut etc?

Oh yeah, there were Clan Rivalries up the wazoo. They weren't codified or anything but generally one member of a certain clan would have a beef with another member and their respective clans would back them. Sometimes this would extend into centuries-long blood feuds, like between Clan Campbell and...well, basically everyone they ever encountered, but especially Clan Donald.

>For that matter, how would a member of these clans see themselves; as a Scotsman first or a McGowan, Arnut etc?
Immediately and practically their first loyalty would be to their clan, whose chief might call upon them for war in the national interest, but they would definitely consider themselves Scots. It's hard to tell whether they would have viewed themselves as a Clan member "first", since national identity and clan identity occupied such different positions. They had to consider their clan identity more often than their national identity but there's no reason they couldn't have felt both equally.

How did the eternal anglo ruin it all?

It used to be a giant cloak in ancient times.

>The Breacan an Fhéilidh (belted plaid) or Feileadh Mòr (great plaid) is likely to have evolved over the course of the 16th century from the earlier 'brat' or woollen cloak (also known as a plaid) which was worn over a tunic. This earlier cloak or brat may have been plain in colour or in various check or tartan designs, depending on the wealth of the wearer; this earlier fashion of clothing had not changed significantly from that worn by Celtic warriors in Roman times.[2]

>A letter written by Ivan Baillie in 1768 and published in the Edinburgh Magazine in March 1785 states that the garment people would recognize as a kilt today was invented in the 1720s by Thomas Rawlinson, a Quaker from Lancashire. After the Jacobite campaign of 1715 the government opened the Highlands to outside exploitation, and Rawlinson went into partnership with Ian MacDonnell, chief of the MacDonnells of Glengarry to manufacture charcoal from the forests near Inverness and smelt iron ore there. The belted plaid worn by the Highlanders he employed was too "cumbrous and unwieldy" for this work, so, together with the tailor of the regiment stationed at Inverness, Rawlinson produced a kilt which consisted of the lower half of the belted plaid worn as a "distinct garment with pleats already sewn". He wore it himself, as did his business partner, whose clansmen then followed suit.[4]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_kilt

The Porridge wogs rebelled in 1745 and were utterly BTFO. To stop them from rebelling like the catholic traitors they are, the English put them down and subjugated them under the heel of the eternal anglo -- just like they did the Irish. (ps based Cromwell did nothing wrong)

>Cromwell did nothing wrong

Lies, he made his dumbass son his succesor for one.

>porridge wogs
TOP FUCKEN KEK! where does this epiphet cone from?

Wasn't the "clan tartan" a pretty recent and invented tradition?

Like in the 17th century, was it just people wore tartan fabrics, and in what colours/pattersn they preferred and if it was a military unit they might try to aim for some sort of cohesion in them.

I am of clan Mckenzie on my paternal grandfather's side. Is there any truth to their claims of being descendants of Normans, or are they Celts, Nords, or Britons?

It's not some ancient tradition but it's not an "invention" like that hack Trevor-Roper has been trying to convince people it is.

Generally a clan would get their cloth from local weavers who would produce the same pattern. Different areas produced different patterns and since Clans governed these areas certain patterns became associated with certain clans. It wasn't codified until the 19th century but the association is older than that.

>1745

Yet another instance of the Anglo losing every battle but the last one.

Scots won every battle including Culloden

It was invented by the eternal anglo the make the scots look hilarious. Literally a costume designed to be quaint. Seriously look it up.

>Lowlanders
>Scots
w e w

What's the only anglo national costume again?

This is a gross oversimplification, if not an outright lie. An English businessman took the costume his Scottish workers were wearing and cut off the top part of it. More Scots started wearing it because it was more comfortable than the traditional kilt, and with the rise of Scottish writers like Burns and MacPherson, English and continental Scotaboos started thinking it was quaint

I like you

If my surname is "Findlay" and I live in England how likely is it I have scottish ancestry?

I know I've got English, Welsh, and Roma Gyppo ancestry

English welsh gyppo?
Thats some shit i'd expect from a jew.
Just pick one & stick with it

are you cute?

I've got no Jewish, but I've got some Italian lol