What is the finest Naval General ? I think it it Afonso Albuquerque

What is the finest Naval General ? I think it it Afonso Albuquerque .
In one live time he has done so much .

"Afonso is generally considered a military genius, and "probably the greatest naval commander of the age" given his successful strategy – he attempted to close all the Indian Ocean naval passages to the Atlantic, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and to the Pacific, transforming it into a Portuguese mare clausum established over the opposition of the Ottoman Empire and its Muslim and Hindu allies. In the expansion of the Portuguese Empire, Afonso initiated a rivalry that would become known as the Ottoman–Portuguese war, which would endure for many years. Many of the Ottoman–Portuguese conflicts in which he was directly involved took place in the Indian Ocean, in the Persian Gulf regions for control of the trade routes, and on the coasts of India. It was his military brilliance in these initial campaigns against the much larger Ottoman Empire and its allies that enabled Portugal to become the first global empire in history. He had a record of engaging and defeating much larger armies and fleets. For example, his capture of Ormuz in 1507 against the Persians was accomplished with a fleet of seven ships. Other famous battles and offensives which he led include the conquest of Goa in 1510 and the capture of Malacca in 1511. He became admiral of the Indian Ocean, and was appointed head of the "fleet of the Arabian and Persian sea" in 1506."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cochin_(1504)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ponta_Delgada
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Of course not Admiral Yi meme

Admiral Yi was a fine one, but not in the level of Afonso Albuquerque , since the later traveled the world and build the first Global empire against much larger empires . Portugal at the time had less then a 1 million souls

Nelson.

This guy is definatly worth mentioning, armed with only 2 frigattes and 4 smaller vessels he annihilated the entire Swedish fleet of over 44 vessels.

Don Blas de Lezo.

They're all shit, naval battles are for literal babies.

yeah, his age makes it even more impressive.
>joined the navy at 14 years old
>rose to the rank of Vice-Admiral at 25 years old

I'm parcial to duarte pacheco pereira myself, a shame he got renegated when he got back.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cochin_(1504)

Also Blaz de Lezo was a fucking beast, even though he was a spaniard

>8 posts in
>the world's greatest admiral hasn't been mentioned yet

pic related

Alvaro de Bazán:
Islands taken 8
Cities taken: 2
Towns taken: 25
Castles and fortress taken: 36
Defeated admitarls:10
Knights and lords defeated: 60
French sailors captured: 4759
English sailors captured:780
Portuguese sailors captured: 6243
Liberated soldiers: 1564
Galleys captured: 44
Barquentine's captured:21
Galleon's captured:99
Brigantine's captured:27
Trurkish elite ships captured :10
Galeasses captured: 1
Artillery captured: 1814.
Defeats: 0

>Alvaro de Bazán
Source of this info?

Ok this a runner up for Afonso Albuquerque .

But the Portuguese one, ended all naval comerce from Africa to Japan , so i would like maybe for other anons to discus ?

>Whoreatio Memelson

Dont bring this meme here
even tho he was a fine men , he wasn't in the same level as Afonso and Alvaro

>Leading a bunch of top notch bronze cannon armed carracks against people in glorified rowboats and dinghy's

Why is Nelson a meme? I know that he won in Trafalgar because Villeneuve was a retard,but his record seems solid to me.

And now show us a picture of the Indian and Mamluk navy.

Bazan defeated the Portuguese/French/English navies combined and the Turkish fleet at Lepanto and other battles. He was undefeated,and was able to contest the ottoman empire's hegemony with a smaller fleet,literally winning every encounter against them. He fought against the most developed and powerful fleets in the world and beat them always. His record is ridicolous and probably unmatched.

Portuguese military at that point was inferior to the Spanish, also Portuguese had a very few men unlike Spain, All that men did was defeat the resistance (that was only ONE Portuguese lord), and conquer Açores witch are almost impossible to proper defend .
Now , if you told me that he indeed defeated enemies of ratio of 100 to 20.000 i would agree he would be close to Afonso. Read about Afonso Albuquerque in the Wikipedia , he didn't fight in battles he knew he would win , he fought the ones that EVERYONE thought it was impossible

Portugal got help from the Dutch(huge navy),England and France. It was an impressive victory. As he was putnumbered 2:1. But he also defermated the Turks on a regular basis,with a smaller fleet. And participated and was a fundamental part in one of the biggest naval battles in history,Lepanto.Alfonso mostly fought technological inferior navies.

Check the ratio , he won a battle against the OTTOMAN witch were NO pushover , the ratio was something of 100 to 20k, dont give me memes i want a proper answer with proper numbers and sources

And most of it in the so-called empty spaces in America & Africa.

Meanwhile in Southeast/East Asia
>Being driven out by Spics, Nips, Woodenshoes, and Chinks.

WHAT?! do you even read?

He MADE the first European connections with Southeast Asia u stupid fuck, just leave or POST PROPER SOURCES . u know nothing have u at least read his wiki page?

ok allow me to explain that the army protecting azores was a shit one and NOT the Imperial Navy .
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ponta_Delgada

A fine Victorious batle in his record indeed , but its not by any chance a reflex of the Portuguese Navy.

Dont speak about the Dutch's there is alot about Portugal and Netherlands that people dont know about

Have u heard about Macau? Nagasaki? Timor?

People should be ban from shitposting in this board

The Dutch helped Portugal in that battle. The later wars and the Dutch stealing Portuguese maps is another matter.

De Ruyter. Nelson-babbies can fuck off.

The Ottoman ships were desingned for the mediterranean. While the Portuguese ships were mostly focused around oceanic travel. I would say that this was a huge factor as fighting in a sea has nothing to do with fighting in the Ocean,at least at that time.

The war was ok, stealing the maps was KINDA ok. BUT what happen after Portugal got independence from Spain was when the Dutch showed they're true face .

Fun fact did u know that the Crown of the Netherlands had more then 80% of they're annual money come from a deal the Portuguese gave them , the only country in Northen Europe allowed to buy Portuguese stuff was them . We literally gave them the means to fend off Spain or else today they would speak Spanish

Well, we forbid non Portuguese boats on the Arabian Sea what is the excuse?
Do keep it mind that most of the Portuguese ships were made in Portugal. With much less then a million persons .

In a battle of the Malabar coast a single cannon shot from a caravel dismasted the Mamluks flagship and pierced a hole in it's hull big enough to sink it.

Gimme a sec and ill get a source.

>De Ruyter
No, he was a fine commander but not a Naval Conqueror .
Check Magalhães diary and see what he writes about the Dutch "Captains"

Thank you good sir

>We literally gave them the means to fend off Spain or else today they would speak Spanish
Nah,it was mostly France. Until they came,the Dutch lost every single major battle in the 80 years war.