What went wrong? He should have been the greatest, but

What went wrong? He should have been the greatest, but...

he let the Romans take Hispania behind his back

That march to the Alps. Dumbest decision ever.

What do you mean? rome was the only bastion of goodness, decency and a truly beautiful culture at the time. did you actually want him to snuff out the one light in a world of darkness?

>rome was the only bastion of goodness, decency and a truly beautiful culture at the time.
for starters that's not even what i'm talking about at all, but holy shit, what a retarded statement

it's true.

maybe if you're looking at history through a peephole

No, if you understand history and virtue, there is no other conclusion you can come to.

i can see how someone would think that if they blindly worshiped everything about western civilization and disregarded everything else that was happening elsewhere at the time because of misguided historical and ethnic fanboyism
not saying rome wasn't great, i'm saying it wasn't literally the only great thing like you are

Spent too long in Italia trying to convert cities to the Punic side.

Great tactician, but weak on strategy.

Publius Cornelius Scipio was as good as Hannibal tactically, but superior on strategy.

Roman culture and virtue is synonymous and strictly bound in my world-view. It might be that from your subjective and incorrect perspective other things can be virtuous, but you are wrong.

He picked a fight with a state that had every conceivable strategic advantage. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?

Name literally one.

>i'm a complete and utter romeaboo, so my subjective views are objective so your subjective views are wrong and gay
okay then

Glad you agree.

Strategic advantages Rome held

>Greater population base
>Greater access to wealth
> Larger network of allies to draw support upon
>More solid internal coherence of the state
>Naval control of the central Mediterranean

Need I go on?

i can't believe i ever thought that anything other than rome could be positive
go sacrifice yourself to jupiter

I would if I could. Unfortunately rome abhors human sacrifice.

i knew that
after all, they were the only good thing in the entire classical period, if not all time, right?

yes. Well the greeks had some things going for them, which the romans adopted.

greeks? but they're not roman? or maybe you're starting to get a bigger picture...

no, the greek culture was adopted into rome, making it roman. so the parts adopted by rome were roman, meaning that greece was virtuous in the elements of its society which were also roman.

take that train of thought, and take it further, and you might begin to get it
history is not a straight line

I have been consistent in my statements.
If rome was destroyed, Greece would cease to have virtuous elements for they would no longer be shared with rome

you have, and your statements are incredibly narrow minded and shortsighted
i just don't understand your religious infatuation with rome, to you rome is god and all else is darkness
guess what, the world is a big fucking place and the romans were just one part of it at one time

disregard that, i suck cocks

explain specifically why rome is god, because that's essentially what you've been saying barring a couple brief flashes of reality

He was a great tactician but Rome had a lot of fucking manpower. You can't win a war by just winning battles.

I don't need to explain it. That is the stance I have taken, we all need a few arbitrary decisions to base our worldview around, this is one of mine.

How about the most important one, how Carthage itself didn't support Hannibal.

He sucked at sieging, which is far more important than winning battles.