/diy/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

Holy shit we almost hit 300 edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

storymfg.com/blog/tahini
youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwFaqwDVI
warosu.org/fa/thread/S10373995#p10378354
pioneerthinking.com/crafts/natural-dyes
global.rakuten.com/en/store/idirect/item/bs-s-011-s/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Currently, I'm about to sew a short skirt. I'm trying out using a jersey fabric

How does the fabric look?

Bump

>Tahini Handloom dyeing with bark and mud
storymfg.com/blog/tahini
I guess you take a bucket, put your clothes in hot water with the pieces of bark. After that, you wash the clothes with mud?

I'll upload some pictures of my sweater tomorrow/later, although I haven't made much progress.

wouldn't that stink? I prefer the old reliable chemical dye

If you wash it afterwards?

The pastebin has a guide on dyeing with black walnut FWIW

bump, I genuinely want to see some oc

youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwFaqwDVI
I'm going to make the sleeve and the turtle neck red and I'm going to sew some figures on the sweater in white, light blue and dark blue.

is there still a group chat?

this looks like it's gonna be an interesting piece

WHERE DO I LEARN TO SEW?!?

i love thrifting awfull fitting jeans and tapering them by hand

post pics when youre done, this looks super cool

There's lots of sewing machine repair shops that teach classes. They'll start with simple projects, and you can learn more on how to do more intricate designs and practical techniques for clothing.

how 2 hand taper?

i should really post my first model alpenflage pants, there's half a century worth of repairs and modifications on them

Please do

Just follow a tutorial on youtube for a normal taper but do it by hand instead of with a machine. I do it with all of my pants and it is a pain in the ass.

I wonder if the finished sweater was ever posted. It looks baller.
warosu.org/fa/thread/S10373995#p10378354

Are there any japanese sewing mags?

Do you thijk if I seam rip the branding on the side that it will ruin the integrity or aesthetic of this trainer?

I really don't want a perforated rectangle where the label was either

idk but it looks awesome

Here's another link for the pastebin, since there's more interest in natural dyes: pioneerthinking.com/crafts/natural-dyes

where do you guys get all your materials from? I'm trying out my first project and I can't find anything to work with :(

Thrift stores
Craft stores

I get most of my raw fabrics from a local fabric shop. A good place for patterned materials would be thrift shops imo.

Don't materials have to be white or off white If I want to dye them for example?

downtown fabricstore

it definitly won't ruin the aestethic, but it might be kinda hard to do

depends on the color you want to achieve. The fabric should always have a brighter color than that one you want to get. So if you want to dye it blue for example, it doesn't matter if it's white or off white, it'll turn out blue. If the material is multicolored or mixed material, the colors will dye indipendently. Also some synthetic materials like velcro won't dye at all.

where can I get plain white items of clothing to work with? I've been looking for a plain white flannel for ages and I can't find anything.

search online dude
global.rakuten.com/en/store/idirect/item/bs-s-011-s/
this one looks good

imo a good fix would just be to paint that white, but reebok brnading isnt even that bad and you should just leave it

I have been looking and the link is sold out, know any others?

Thanks boys, noted

The red cuff is too wide. I got to take that in.

I figured this is how I going to sew the triangles, the rectangles and the circle on my sweater. Months back I sewed stars on a t-shirt, but you could see where I cut with my scissor. I think this looks nicer.

here you go, from the top of my head the knees have been blown out and repaired a few times, a carabiner was attached to one of the belt loops at some point, the crotch was completely shredded so i covered it up with a huge single piece patch, IIRC it came off an old bundeswehr moleskin shirt : altogether these pants have probably seen some shit since the early 60s and it certainly shows, but i love them for how post-apoc and uniquely swiss they are (anyone who has ever dabbled in milsurp will feel me), the cut is pretty great and you can make all sorts of silhouettes with the snap adjustments, it's a real shame they haven't gotten off like flecktarn parkas or other fashionable surplus, though the material is kind of shitty honestly, hence all the patchwork.

also here's the ass end, i've just realized that the pictures are kind of blurry but whatever

does anyone here know if dying is the only way to alter the color of a shirt?

Not sure what you mean by that. As in, if you need fabric dyes specifically?
It depends on the material. Natural materials can be bleached, but that fucks fabric up.

Generally, you can also dye cotton (100%) items with "natural" colourants by boiling. ie: boiling in tea, onion peel, beets, etc. If you do this, don't machine-wash the clothes, since the colour will bleed.

I want to have the collar of a shirt be different to the rest of it.

Ok... Man, you really gotta learn to explain yourself and your plans if you want people to be able to help you.

Is this an existing shirt, or a shirt you're sewing from scratch? Do you have a specific colour in mind that you want to dye the collar to, or what? Easiest way is to just sew the collar out of a different fabric. You can dip-dye, but you'll get a bleeding effect into parts adjacent to the collar.

just finished sewing this bag. I like this material and I have a lot left. What else should I make that wont look absolutely ridiculous?

looks like its made of felt lmaoooo, fuck that

Lads? I have to pair of jeans, one I want to dye and other I want to bleach.
I know these are very basic questions but I've never done it before.

I want to achieve a very dark blue, indigo color to the point the jeans don't have any fading, is it possible? does it matter if I use two packs of dye vs one?

And how much bleach should I use in order to achieve a very light blue, almost white?

pants? shirt? cape?

I believe 1 pack is enough

pocket on a tshirt

You wont get white if you are bleacking blue. You will get a dirtty orange-red

Previous thread someone was working on a backpack. What's the status on that?

I'm studying for my finals rn (or at least I'm supposed to be)
I'll fail
shitpost a bunch to feel better
and then I'll continue the backpack

Are there such thing as Cotton Jersey t shirt blanks?

very minimally /diy/, but could I scrape/buff the foil off these and seam rip the tag without issue?

Not sure about the foil. The tag should be easy with a seam ripper or embroidery shears

I have taken the tags off a pair of pumas, its not bad. Don't know about the foil though.

Question m8s would this jacket look good if I dyed it black?

it can't be worse than this color, go for it

bump

I bought two sizes of Palladium black leather Baggies but missed the return date. They both fit me well, however. I'm planning on spray painting the soles of the one I was going to return white and replacing the laces with white ones, like I did to these Jack Purcells.

What do you think? Would it look good or no?

The boot in question

Hmmm, I don't think it would look that good..
The versatility of an all black "combat-esq" boot is extremely appetizing considering you can pair it with most pants and fits

>Pic related, what I'm working on
trying to find fabric to sew onto joggers jeans to make WW1 style pantaloon leggings but a more updated version

Well I already have a pair of those boots, you see. I wear them constantly

It would look more like the black ones, I'd have a pair of black leg wraps for black joggers and pants, and dark wash blue leg wraps for dark wash denim joggers and pants
It would give more layers and textures to the silhouette of the outfit, since you see tapered pants and joggers everywhere, this is a more experimental, and different take on a very old design.

MMMM i like that very much. What are you using specifically for the leg wraps?

I was just gonna go to a fabric shop and get a few long strips of black and dark blue fabric and just use safety pins to hold them in place, but I think you can actually just buy WW1 style leg wraps online for $15

the photo has a slight nap to it but i feel like for your application, a stretch twill would be a good fabric choice
the luxurious version of that would be a wool gabardine

>Well that was very informing

I've been playing ALOT of BF1 lately and have been learning alot about WW1 and all the different weapons and clothing and armors, and what life was like for the avg footsoldier and pilot, and like I said I figured WW1 puttees wrapped around modern denim and joggers would be a very interesting experiment and would make for cool everyday fits especially since it's cold as fuck here in Canada so it can be easily paired with boots and a military jacket and cool layering.

fuck this looks pretty good.
too bad it would be retarded to put them on with actual combat boots I've got, since they are already pretty high

They would work with thin fabric boots like paladiums, since you could just wrap the puttee's around the ankle covering the boot fabric, but actual combat boots would be a little harder but I imagine you could still do it, the easiest way to pull these off would be to use some sort of all black shoe like converse or an all black shoe you see in these ww1 pics

is it possible to paint the stripe on the converse mid sole white or remove it somehow?

You could try sanding it off to see if it comes off, or getting a white paint marker and just painting it over, I did that to a pair of all white converse but the paint marker made it thick and slightly sticky, so I sanded it down and it smoothed it out and luckily it kept the white paint over the line

>I've been playing ALOT of BF1 lately and have been learning alot about WW1 and all the different weapons and clothing and armors, and what life was like for the avg footsoldier and pilot, and like I said I figured WW1 puttees wrapped around modern denim and joggers would be a very interesting experiment and would make for cool everyday fits especially since it's cold as fuck here in Canada so it can be easily paired with boots and a military jacket and cool layering.

>putees
Gaiters are pretty gr9 too

Why'd you greentxt my whole explanation??

Gaiters would look cooler if they went higher than your ankle, the main reason I like puttee's is the fact that you can make almost any pair of pants/denim/joggers into tapered and textured pants and they're something you never see in day to day outfits

A pair of pants ive been working on i think they are done, but idk how i feel about the colours, im thinking i might over dye them black. What does fa think?

And I'd like to make these black puttee joggers with OD military style jackets and layering similar to something weird or funky like pic related

WW1 leg wrap guy here
These are SOOO FUCKING COOOOL!!!
I love them!
Leave them as is as far as color goes, I like how the color is broken up so you can see where you sewed on the new pieces, only thing I'd do is taper them since I like tapered pants/joggers but I guess you could always pin roll them or something or use leg wraps occasionally or something, I wanted to make pants similar to these for a long ass time

>pic related only person in pop culture that has worn anything similar to this

there are patterns in Liniere man
I've seen knitting magazines at Kinokuniya
I'll be on the lookout for anything I can upload for you though

Some WW1 pants

Gonna draw some sketches of what I want my leg wrap joggers to be like

Is everyone ded?

i wish

How do you guys get all this knowledge of like terms and fabric names etc do you all just research online or have some of you studied this in school I really want to get into making my own clothes

"intern" studied this in school, the rest of us don't know what we're doing but we try

i've been thinkin about doin somethin similar

but i think im gonna put some plasti-dip on some boots

>Why'd you greentxt my whole explanation??
To highlight how retarded you sound.

You could search in your neighborhood if there are sewing classes you can follow. I do that every Tuesday evening. You learn as you make your project. The books you can download in the sticky also explain a great deal.

i like the gorka/dual tone a e s t h e t i c and the texture looks fantastic I wouldn't dye them if i were you

They're called putees
Pic kinda related, american leggings used through ww2

how do you search for t-shirt like that?

Palladium guy here again
I think it'd be much better to dip the soles in white Plasti Dip instead of spray painting, however that leaves the question of what to do with the toe box

These are the three primary options I can think of. Which do you think would look best? Keep in mind the laces will be swapped out with white ones as well

I suppose this is also an option

>Lmao
You still haven't explained yourself at all, it's been over a day and your attempt at insulting me by a simple highlight of what I said hasn't really done anything.
If anything you're mentally retarded in thinking just cause you greentxt a whole paragraph it somehow means you've actually insulted anyone, now go back to the delusions inside your head, they must be very fun. Esp for uncreative ppl.

This is WW1bro, I thought your idea might not work, but looking at it now it looks much cooler than I thought, it has a very geobasket-feel to them except they don't look as clown shoeish like Rick decided to make them,
Imo I think the top right square would look best since it follows the curvature and mold lines of the toe box and looks the most natural to that specific shoe

Top right