It appears that almost all the software jobs are front-end JavaScript web jobs...

It appears that almost all the software jobs are front-end JavaScript web jobs. Should I consider ditching server-side languages and just learn JS/HTML/CSS?

There's a very low barrier to entry to learn Javascript/HTML/CSS which means tons of pajeets know how to do it as well. I'd guess that while there are more jobs in it there are proportionally greater numbers of competing programmers. If you want to be marketable, I'd go try to learn something emerging which hasn't been deskilled e.g. embedded systems for Internet of things.

Plus, even though many organizations are completely Windows on the desktop, if not the server room too, and they never ever test outside of Internet Explorer, management is frightened of native applications and just shouts WEB WEB WEB like coke addled autists.

OP, seen as you're in the 'coding' industry. Can you please answer me this: How do I get a website or App built without the guy making it stealing my idea?

Learn to code it yourself.

Just got a Senior Developer job at a .NET shop. Here are some tips if you're willing to listen:

1.) Move out to a metropolis: LA, Bay Area, Seattle, Austin, New York. Inb4 "cost of living", learn how to budget. The depth and breadth for opportunities are unreal in big cities. Want to do server-side languages? They'll be there in spades. Want to pick up the next meme JS framework? There will be someone hiring for it.

2.) Your earning potential for server-side development is much greater than front-end (depending on what career path you take and how you manage your employment), however landing that first job is difficult. There are ways around this: contribute to Open Source projects and build your portfolio. Can't think of anything to create or too lazy to? Don't worry that was how I was when I started. Double down on the Open Source experience. Another way to get your foot in the door: QA. Find a Software tester gig and grind it out for a few months, but while you're there it is crucial that you do the following...

3.) Network and develop relationships with your coworkers. Your employer is much more likely to hire you on as a software developer if you're established and well-liked in the company. Also any reference from a working professional is worth way more than your "experience" if you're just starting out.

That's all the vague meme-tier advice I can give for now, if you want specifics, ama.

I don't yet, but
>without the guy making it stealing my idea?
patent or copyright? or just DIY.

Thanks user.

Would getting a Government ICT cadetship/apprenticeship help get my foot through the door? Its something I'm considering applying for.

At startups specifically, no one gives a shit about credentials/certifications. They want to see that you've done cool ass shit and are willing to work hard. Portfolio > everything

You make a contract. You hold the copyright since you came up with the idea.

We are in the business of coding. Money in projects out, we don't want to deal with your ideas. Plus we get paid if it bombs.

Yes!
Currently in an aus gov ict cadetship, and it's a great way to gain real experience, and get paid.
you'll learn more in a month there than you would in a year at uni

Alright, thanks for the recommendation user!

What stuff are you doing there?

At the moment a bunch of python and cloud stuff, but the others are doing a mix of C and some front end, it really varies project to project.
great on a resume, so if you decide the gov isn't for you, you should be able to walk into a nice job in the private sector afterwards.
there is lots of internal and external training and l developmentt, all paid for.

Sounds like the kind of thing I want. Is it difficult to get in to?

I think for the cadetship, there were about 80 positions and over 800 applications, but a lot of the applicants, weren't very special.
the trick is to remember these are government agencies not google or amazon.
show initiative, confidence, leadership, teamwork
social skills, and then top it off with some tech experience, not super tech wizard with minimal team skills

>show initiative, confidence, leadership, teamwork, social skills, and then top it off with some tech experience, not super tech wizard with minimal team skills
Oh sweet jesus, yes. This is the confidence boost I needed. All of those are things I'm already working on or pretty good at.

I didn't think I'd find anyone here who knew about Australian government programs, so thank you very much for this. Enjoy the night, user.

>It appears that almost all the software jobs are front-end JavaScript web jobs.

u fekkin w0t

No worries bruh

For some reason it really triggers me when people say SQL is a programming language.

> If you want to be marketable, I'd go try to learn something emerging which hasn't been deskilled
What are these emerging fields, do data mining and machine learning count?

Yes, also AI. Some of these aren't offered at bad schools, so not all CS memers & pajeets have knowledge in these areas.

Maybe. I work in data science and get hit up by recruiters almost every day, but it seems like a lot of what was once bespoke is turning into an as-a-service type deal. Soon, non-technical types will be able to do it. My honest opinion is that if you are still in school you're probably going to miss peak hype.

Assuming you have a good grasp of maths, is it feasible to learn one of these topics without schooling, or would I have to go attend a good uni to really learn it

I'm a low tier Java monkey and even I get hit up by recruiters frequently

shits cray