Dane here

Dane here
>tfw you live in the oldest country in the world
What unique feat can you country brag about Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Chile
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Northern Ireland is the only country in the first world where paramilitaries are regularly government officials.

Also only country in the UK where you can own a handgun if I'm not mistaken.

We had the largest Empire and still control the world behind the scenes through shadow ops

>9gag.com

>paramilitaries are regularly government officials
True, but the number people who are members of paramilitaries who are also politicians is dropping now that everyone realizes none of them have any reason to exist anymore

>triggered by watermarks

Hello 2011

we have the oldest national flag in use you fug, not the oldest country

>is dropping
It's dropping because they're old as fuck and starting to die or retire.

In general Sinn Fein and radical unionists are still strong as ever.

I'd say radical unionism is more on the rise than nationalists, famalam.
The "fuck off IRA we politics now" attitude is stronk, but Unionistfags get triggered by every single waking moment of their lives and think they're the niggers of NI for some retarded reason.

NI is such a weird fucking place.

What country is older? Also we have the oldest monarchy

well france or Austria
You could stretch and say china has been a country since 200+ BC

apparently San Marino has existed continuously since its founding in 300 AD

Czech flag is from 1920, not from 1990's

San Marino, Ethiopia, China, France, Japan, there's a million and one countries older than Denmark.

Denmark isn't even that old.

Oldest Anthem

Kinda shared that with Japan IIRC.

That chart is fucking retarded. Instead of showing national flag age it mostly shows the age of the states.

Do you think a flag is all you need to have a country, Danefag?

The UK flag is like 200 years younger than they're saying it is

The Eternal Anglo strikes again

The English flag is older than the Danish one from OP's image.

We had the most valuable company of all time.

Apple still exists though.

That graph is incoherent as fuck. Minor changes are counted as new flags for some countries (like Italy, Spain) but not fror others (UK, USA..).
What a shit job.

You're not even the oldest Scandinavian country.

Countries like Japan may disagree with such a bold statement.

Indonesian reporting here: Nothing. Literally nothing. Our country's independence was practically given by the Allied Forces. The only thing I'd find brag-worthy would be the fact that we colonized Madagascar. Even that's fucking laughable.

What about creating the favorite dish of 18 million swamp Jews?

Estland here Gib back flag it's not yours

When people say "oldest country" do they mean how long a nation has existed even if it had periods of loss of independence of how long an independent government has been established?

*or, not of

say that to my face and not on the internet and you will see what will happen

>Mark Rutte

First colony to overthrow a major European power

purely the name of Denmark has existed from the same era as that flag to today.

Anytime someone claims they're country has existed over 200 years, you ought to get a little curious and ask about major governmental changes or political climates, as they are drastically different between the beginning of 200 years to the end of 200 years, so much so that calling them the same thing is a long shot.

i.e. 1776 US to 1976 US, although the country may technically be the same, so much has occurred in between that they are hardly alike.

That's what I thought. If we apply that same logic for Denmark to every country, they are far from the oldest. So why is Denmark often called the oldest country?

>country
>first world

Are you telling me that America had the fourth national flag? EVER?

That doesn't make sense. How the fuck did the UK even create the Union Jack without official non-English flags?

>German flag
>mid twentieth century

Other countries have altered their flags a bunch of times.
But adding stars doesn't count as altering apparently.

Well a lot of national flags only became important when nation states arose.

Prior to that it was coat of arms, religious symbols, totems, standards, pennants, banners, and colors associated with the realm. Rarely flags. If anything flags spent a longer time being battle signals than a representative of the state.

Our flag has literally been changed approximately 50 - 13 = 37 times since its adoption, however, and I haven't even accounted for the Civl War or times when states were simultaneously or near-simultaneously admitted to the Union (the dakotas, say).

The present flag has been in place since c. 1960, depending on the exact date of HI's admission. IIRC it was Eisenhower's executive order which still stands, characterizing the 50-star flag. Look up Jasper Johns, WWII footage et al for the much better looking 48-star flag. In other words, we belong with that huge pile over there somewhere.

That isn't true though, the american flag has changed over and over throughout its existence.

Japan's monarchy is older than ours. Besides "Denmark" only exists in historical context from 964 (even though we know that it's at least two generations older).

If you want to stretch it as far as possible, Hygelac (Chlochilaicus) is the first king of Denmark, that has been found out to be a real person, and not from a Saga. Hygelac died in 515 AD.

But we do have the oldest flag.

It doesn't count because it's the same design formula.

>Norn
>Country
>first world
>Implying

This is obviously wrong. The Union Jack isn't that old.

by that logic half of those flag ought to be older because they use the same design formula as in the past
e.g. heraldic colors
the chart is pants on head retarded

Two of three of the flags integrated in the Union Jack are older than that of Denmark's.

>What unique feat can you country brag about Veeky Forums?

Uhh.. we're the only first world country that is over 70% forest

We've always had equal voting ever since we had democracy. Which is why it always pisses me off when people say my country was the second "to give" women the right to vote, when in fact they weren't "given" anything; they always had it.

No, that is taking the concept of same design formula even further, and you know it. Simply adding stars isn't changing the formula. Simply keeping the same colors doesn't necessarily mean the same formula is being used.

> Northern Ireland is the only country in the first world where paramilitaries are regularly government officials.

Ireland is Lebanon-tier.

I like how O.P. Andersen made a thread about feats other countries can brag about, but the whole thread is about why his country's feat is false.

>Denmark
>Oldest country in the world

It's not how you spell Ethiopia.

And your chart is replete with errors.

Oldest national flag, you illiterate cuntwad

Thats not what OP said
>Dane here
>tfw you live in the oldest country in the world

sound like a chill country. you descended from matriarchy senpai?

I mean, being the most powerful country in the world as of now is pretty nice.
In all seriousness, probably being the first relevant democratic republic and first overall independent state in America. I know the French Revolution was more important than our shit, but let me hold onto
>muh dates
for now.

The Swedish flag dates back to the 1500's, calling bullshit on this.

Most of the flags are older than they were adopted. The current Swedish flag design was adopted in 1906 if wiki is right. Before it they had a diffrent one.

arbitrary naming, probably from someone who is ignorant of the subject.

Only nationalists would gain anything from claiming connection to a long ago heritage.

Oldest alliance
Oldest frontiers(never changed unless you count that Olivenca village)

And more and more

How is your country so old, yet so irrelevant?

Not that guy and I understand the argument, except it's a bogus argument.

This variant, for example, is a /substantively and inherently distinct/ design from the present 50-star flag. That's the phrase I wish to use to continue the argument:

"If the flag design has not experienced any /substantively and inherently distinct/ changes /to/ its design from the time of its adoption, then the flag may be said to be the /same/ flag on such an interval of time."

This admits of subjectivity, but it could be made objective, or at least something like "settled law" if such a thing were to be argued for some reason before our supreme court, or before some international court, say. And then they agree on some standard interpretation going forward.

I would make the argument that the American flag experienced substantively and inherently distinct changes each and every time that its union was changed, particularly in the cases of the addition of a star (state) to the union.

Meanwhile, I would consider making the distinction that certain simple euro tricolors which have remained unchanged for an extended period (France?) have /not/ experienced my so-called "substantively and inherently distinct" changes over their tenure, /even if at some point in the 20th century their designs became standardized in terms of computer graphics, standard coloration, etc. TBQH what I have in mind is to include the changing USA flag in this definition (and therefore be right by definition), while excluding certain of the above, where a nordic cross fluctuated for want of a standard over the years, say, or the colors were subtly different from flag to flag for want of the right material.

Moving any color or geometry around in an immediately noticable way yields a "different" flag. The Netherlands is clearly not Russia.

We're thinking of an abstraction.

upper and lower Egypt were unified in 3000 BC

Bulgaria or Greece have been the same people, living in the same place, under the same name, for 1500-2000 years.
The chinese and the indians have also been the same people living in the same area under the same name for a long ass time. The egyptians too, they are probably the oldest in that regard.

>Bulgaria or Greece have been the same people, living in the same place, under the same name, for 1500-2000 years.
I don't know about Bulgaria, bur Greeks are just Turkish rape babies at this point
I'm not a white nationalist who think that Plato and Aristotle looked like Norwegians, but but the old Greek stock is mixed out unfortunately.

>Egyptians
are you implying that Arabs (Semites) built the pyramids?
WE WUZ memes aside, they were probably Copts, or related to the present day people

>Are you implying that Arabs (Semites) built the pyramids?

Yes, I am. Are you implying that several million people just vanished overnight, and that probably he least populous tribe in the world, the arabs, filled up the space?

no, I'm saying Egypt has been conquered numerous times
that includes a complete fall during the Bronze Age collapse
after that they have been ruled by Greeks, Romans, and Arabs

The Semites conquered Sumer
and they adopted their civilized culture
is it too much of an implication that the local Egyptian population was replaced by Arab invaders?

they are not mixed, the turkic admixture is miniscule even in anatolia.

What happened was that locals became turkified, majority of greeks are not turk rape babies, majority of the turks are turkified greeks

greeks are very similar to both to turks (particularly western turks) and to ancient greeks. "They are just rape babies" is a theory pushed by stormfags due their belief in race and race only. "How come ancient greeks dont produce as much scientist as they did before ! I know it must be the foul t*rkroaches!"

Guess what, cutlure also matters.

>same people
>same name

>get conquered by 1295219 other nations
oh nothing will change in terms of genetics or culture i swear!

the greeks, bulgarians and egyptians aren't the same culturally and genetically as they were before the ottomans

>some guy with a funny hat comes asking for taxes
>magically my children change hair and skin color

I take it you graduated from the /pol/ school of history.

>is it too much of an implication that the local Egyptian population was replaced by Arab invaders?
it is, unless you want to trow logic out of the window for the sake of WEWUZ

That graph is off, the Irish Tricolour was made in 1793 by French Republicans. It was only made a state flag in 20th century because the state literally did not exist until then

>Indonesian
from europe, itseems exotic. i wish I live dhere

>hungary, russia, czech republic
>1990

this chart is bullshit, Russia had this flag from 1696, Hungary since the 1700s, and the current Czech flag is the same as Czechoslovakia's since 1920.

I don't get this chart. Does it represent when a national flag started to exist "de facto" or when it was written down in a constitution or whatever?

Brazilian here, we never lost a war.

flag =/= country

The oldest country is probably France.

>What unique feat can you country brag about Veeky Forums?
>mfw

Surely it would be China, no?

China wasn't even united until the Mongols conquered it in the 13th century.

Wut? The empire was founded in 200's BC by the State of Qin. If you want to be anal about it, institutions and the Confucian-Scholar Bureaucrat shit started with the Han dynasty. Which...is also 200's BC.

>Italians make many great deed under the Romans
>Suddenly get invaded and ruled by Germanics for hundreds of years
>End up as what they are today
Hm, I think we may be up to something here.

They are though

Well I'm Austrian, soo something something Habsburg, something something starting world wars.

China is a series of successor countries that use the name China to legitimize their rule.

>oldest country
I thought that was Moortugal.

Something something losing world wars.

That too, but that's not exactly something special about Austria, the Germans did that too.

Is it a germanic thing? Losing world wars? It feels like it is.

Starting and losing them apparently, yeah.
Except for the Swiss of course, damn mountainjews.

The Germans did manage to win the Seven years war though, which was sort of a world war. though they was fighting that against other Germans.
Then they won the Napoleonic wars, another world way... By getting bailed out by Russia and the UK.

Egypt was conquered many times though. It was a territory ruled by Hittites, Nubians, Macedonians, Romans, Arabs, etc, with these parties ruling for many years at a time.

>The English flag is older than the Danish one from OP's image.
yfw you learned that the english flag is actually an italian flag that was adopted by the english
yfw the english would actually pay money to the italians in order to be able to fly their flag on their ships and thus receive italian naval protection
yfw britbongs try to deny this

does the St George's cross not count??

I see the point for Czechia and Hungary but you could argue that russia had a different flag for an extensive period of time, the Soviet union.

lmao, sauce?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Chile

First, most diverse, and largest (by area) European nation in North America.
>inb4 Florida