Prehistoric animals thread. Pic related most badass fish in history. Fuck your memedalodon

Prehistoric animals thread. Pic related most badass fish in history. Fuck your memedalodon.

Other urls found in this thread:

archaeology.about.com/od/hterms/qt/history_definition.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology
twitter.com/AnonBabble

< Where's your God now?

Devonian period fuck yeah

Are prehistoric plants welcome?

What about prehistoric bacteria desu?

Dunkelosteus? Gud taste.

Fuck yeah! Cyanobacteria in the hizzow! Fuck this gay Earth! Needs more oxygen! Needs so much fucking oxygen that we freeze ENTIRE FUCKING SURFACE OF THE EARTH!

Who /walkingwithseamonsters/ here

I'm /walkingwithdinosaursandseamonsters/ over here.

How is this thread Veeky Forums-related?

God dam, fucking forgot about Alien Planet, that shit was great.

It's the past, bro. Archaeology and shit. Archaeology is Veeky Forums related.

>how is prehistory Veeky Forums related

you dumb fucking faggot

Archaelogy is the study of man and man-made artifacts tho.

Do people just post whatever the fuck they want on this board?

>how is prehistory Veeky Forums related
>prehistory
>pre

pre is greek meaning Before. Ergo before history = not during history This belongs on sci or animals and nature

>dumb fucking faggot

Are you 14?

Prehistory is just a dumb word made to make extinct animals sound cool. These species are historical, because they existed at one point in history. And we can discuss their appearance, abilities and the ecosystems surrounding them, just as we can discuss Ancient Greek Society.

>pre is greek meaning Before. Ergo before history = not during history

There is no such thing as 'before' history, as history is simply the study of the past, prehistory refers to the time before human recorded history. It's still history, it's just not recorded.

Paleontology is a legit branch of historical study.

Kek top bait

Shut the fuck up if you can't muster up any arguments. If you insist we cannot discuss extinct species, I say we can't discuss the Roman Empire, because that shit is long gone.

This may surprise you, but history is not "whatever I define it as", but the study of the past. Did you know that once upon a time, there were no humans?

It's fine that you don't find Paleontology interesting, but don't shit up the thread we are trying to have with your arrogant smug idea of what belongs on this board. Fuck off.

oh man imagine how much better Veeky Forums would be if it was people discussing interesting animals instead of pseudo-intellectuals trying to push their misunderstanding of a popular philosophy on eachother

Post more crazy dinosaurs, especially sea ones

This is paleontology mate

>sea dinosaurs
Don't exist.

Okay autismo, sauropterygians then.

>using words correctly is autism now
Jesus Christ.

Here you go, one the biggest and meanest bastard's in the Triassic Period.

Have any of you guys wanted to become Archaeologists?

Anyone studying Anthropology? How is it?

when I was a kid after watching indiana jim

>sitting
>archeologists

pick one

He looks like a dolphin on meth.

Between the ages of 5-14 I wanted to become a paleontologist. Then I lost interest.

History refers to the human history in matters of culture civilization etc.
This URL is linekd to the first sentence of history on wikipedia just saying:
archaeology.about.com/od/hterms/qt/history_definition.htm

According to your definition literally everything would be history:

Well the Big Bang happened so it's history, right? Well an animal lived once so the science regarding this animal must be history, right? Well gravity did exist in the past, so it's history, right?

Gravity exists now and existed in recorded human history, so science is as much history to those who define it as recorded history as those who simply define it as the past. Your strawman becomes a lot less convincing when you take out science and stick just to events stretching back to the Big Bang.

So astronomy, geology, biology, chemistry and psychology is history? Well that's far too much content for one board.

I'm sorry but if you really think that biology or physics becomes history just because it's in the past you are actually mentally deficient.

History is a recording and study of everything that happened in the past. If an animal once lived, the record of its life and times and meteors that ended its species is history, the study of its appearance, capabilities, skeletal structure etc. is paleontology or maybe paleobiology.

If you can't make this distinction you are an actual retard I'm afraid.

It's either this or 15 more threads about Rome or LARPers from /pol/ jerking off the the crusades in Christianity threads.

Well I'm knowing a surprisingly small amount of historians talking about prehistoric (!) animals and not talking about human history of civilization.

Reread my post. I didn't say that.

Can't deny that Veeky Forums does have a lot of shitposting. You can't even mention the Holy Roman Empire anymore. But this is Veeky Forums and nobody expects otherwise.
This thread although has literally nothing to do with Veeky Forums at all and should just be moved to /trash/ or be posted in Veeky Forums or animals and nature. We don't have boards for no reason.

>Fuck your memedalodon.
But that one still exists

> when you take out science and stick just to events stretching back to the Big Bang.

Geology is history of what happened with/on earth in the past and in the present and why.Well,if you think about what happened in the middleages and why that's undebatable history. Same for astronomy...

Is this your idea of fun?

So what is your argument? You personally don't know many paleontologists, and as such their field of study doesn't count as history?

>another thread gets derailed by butthurt christposters
when will they fuck off

Paleontology is not history. Go to a history professor and aks him something about paleontology. Go to a paleontology professor and ask him something about history. Just not the same.

>This thread although has literally nothing to do with Veeky Forums at all

By whose judgement?

>Paleontology is not history.

Overview[edit]
The simplest definition is "the study of ancient life".[2] Paleontology seeks information about several aspects of past organisms: "their identity and origin, their environment and evolution, and what they can tell us about the Earth's organic and inorganic past".[3]

A historical science[edit]

Paleontology is one of the historical sciences, along with archaeology, geology, astronomy, cosmology, philology and history itself.[4]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology

Veeky Forums - History & Humanities
All images and discussion should pertain to the humanities: history, philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.
Discussions about books, poetry, and other forms of literature should be posted on Veeky Forums.
Discussions about politics and current events should be posted on /pol/. Global Rule #3 is in effect: blatantly racist posts may result in a ban.
Please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago.

are you retarded?

Cosmology, yes. Geology, yes. The HISTORY of astronomy, yes. The HISTORY of chemistry, yes.

History (from Greek ἱστορία, historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation")[2] is the study of the past, particularly how it relates to humans.[3][4] It is an umbrella term that relates to past events as well as the memory, discovery, collection, organization, presentation, and interpretation of information about these events. Scholars who write about history are called historians. Events occurring prior to written record are considered prehistory.

wikipedia history

I'm presuming paleontology is included in that "etc.", as most of these animals have lived before the current 25 year mark.

Also from wikipedia:

8 Areas of study
8.1 Periods
8.1.1 Prehistoric periodisation
8.2 Geographical locations
8.2.1 Regions
8.3 Military history
8.4 History of religion
8.5 Social history
8.5.1 Subfields
8.6 Cultural history
8.7 Diplomatic history
8.8 Economic history
8.9 Environmental history
8.10 World history
8.11 People's history
8.12 Intellectual history
8.13 Gender history
8.14 Public history

So as a historical science it doesn't count as actual history? Better take down all those language threads, and all the ancient weapons threads, archaeology and philology are historical sciences NOT history!

It's puritanical scum like you that ruin boards. This thread is clearly related to a subject pertaining to the historical sciences, it is not harming anyone with its presence.

I'm sure there's a nice >H>R>E meme thread somewhere that needs your attention more.

wikipedia:
These are approaches to history; not listed are histories of other fields, such as history of science, history of mathematics and history of philosophy.
Ancient history : the study from the beginning of human history until the Early Middle Ages.
Atlantic history: the study of the history of people living on or near the Atlantic Ocean.
Art History: the study of changes in and social context of art.
Comparative history: historical analysis of social and cultural entities not confined to national boundaries.
Contemporary history: the study of recent historical events.
Counterfactual history: the study of historical events as they might have happened in different causal circumstances.
Cultural history: the study of culture in the past.
Digital History: the use of computing technologies do massive searches in published sources.
Economic History: the use of economic models fitted to the past.
Intellectual history: the study of ideas in the context of the cultures that produced them and their development over time.
Maritime history: the study of maritime transport and all the connected subjects.
Modern history : the study of the Modern Times, the era after the Middle Ages.
Military History: the study of warfare and wars in history and what is sometimes considered to be a sub-branch of military history, Naval History.
Paleography: study of ancient texts.
People's history: historical work from the perspective of common people.
Political history: the study of politics in the past.
Psychohistory: study of the psychological motivations of historical events.
Pseudohistory: study about the past that falls outside the domain of mainstream history (sometimes it is an equivalent of pseudoscience).
Social History: the study of the process of social change throughout history.
Women's history: the history of female human beings. Gender history is related and covers the perspective of gender...

Just report and ignore these assholes.

I don't know why people get so in a tizzy about keeping Veeky Forums on topic. I've been here an embarrassingly long time and the only constant is that if you want good discussion on a topic, avoid the board about such topic. /v/ is shit for talking about games, /tv/ is shit for talking about film and TV.

Dinosaurs had feathers and butthurt nostalgiafags can suck a lemon.

Correction, only /v/ is shit about talking about its subject matter.
I've had excellent discussions about cars on Veeky Forums, anime/manga on /a/, weapons on /k/.

Well only some dinosaurs did. But yeah velociraptors were only like 3 feet tall and covered in feathers, no idea why that name stuck with stuff like Jurassic Park where the animals are clearly a very different species of raptor.

The raptors in JP were based on Deinonychus and the recently discovered Utahraptor. But Velociraptor is way cooler and more threatening name so they went with that.

Utahraptors were basically what they had in Jurassic Park but they called them velociraptors because they had a cooler name.

They can explain away physical differences in the movie as changes geneticists made to the original dinosaur genome.

Because "velociraptor" sounds cool, and that's all most people care about

Fucking

Why do I find them more terrifying with feathers?

honestly the idea that certain dinosaurs had feathers doesn't really diminish them in my eyes
after all there's some pretty darn badass birds around and they all got feathers

that said Sauropods probably didn't have feathers right? They'd look silliest with them

>implying words have correct uses

>I'm not stupid for misusing a word because words don't have meanings. THEY ARE JUST SOUNDS!

I don't see why anyone thinks feathers make dinos look lame. If anything it makes all birds cooler because they ARE dinosaurs. People are just looking at the whole situation wrong.

>because words don't have meanings
I didn't say that

>that said Sauropods probably didn't have feathers right? They'd look silliest with them
I've wondered that myself and as far as I can find out, no. They probably didn't have feathers. I wonder if iguanadons though.

makes the Jurassic Park "giant turkey" scene pretty hilarious in retrospect, velociraptor was essentially a toothed turkey

though that just makes turkeys a lot more badass, after all anyone who's seen an angry rooster in action can attest to their dinosaur heritage

we might never know unless we find a particularly well preserved piece of skin

That is exactly what you are implying. You think that language is a race to the bottom, with idiots mounting misconceptions atop misconceptions until nothing makes sense.

Dinosaurs did not fly. They did not primarily live in the water. This is super fucking simple.

some of them could most certainly glide and really where do we draw the line between bird and dinosaur?
heck depending on your views there might be swimming dinosaurs right now in the form of the penguin

See that's what I mean. Birds are all badass dinosaurs trapped in tiny bodies. Not their fault the earth got fucked and they had to become small to survive like we did while they ruled.

That's not what he was talking about though, he's ranting about people thinking pliosaurs or pterosaurs are dinos.

We've been "racing to the bottom" ever since language was invented and we're still communicating just fine

So talking about extinct animals from earlier Earth history isn't Veeky Forumstory related?

When that thing has four or five meter+ long jaws and eats medium size whales, let me know. Megalodon is the king of the sea, m8.

FYI: Young and adolescent T-Rexes probably had feathers, but adults probably didn't because their size produced more than enough heat for their environment.

>Stupid people exist so I can be as stupid as I want and you can't bully me about being stupid.
>smug_anime_girl_02.png

Lots of fossils of dinosaur skin have been discovered so far, so it's pretty safe to say that the "dinosaurs looked like birds" hype is a huge exaggeration for the most part. Sauropods had scales, Iguanodontids and most other Ornitischia likely did as well and so did at least some large Theropods. It seems more plausible that feathers were limited to smaller species for the most part, while their larger relatives retained only rudimentary filaments or no feathers at all.

A lot of large dinosaurs may have feathers early in life.

Except paleontology is not one of the humanities.

yeah, its part of history

fuck off

>Dinosaurs did not fly.

>I've had excellent discussions about anime/manga
>on /a/

Yeah, and I'm the second coming of OP's fish

Actually working in an archaeology lab during grad. Mostly cleaning up and cataloging the shit you found in the dirt. And research, and sometimes field trips. It's fun, but not the kind of stuff I'd like to work I guess

Oh fuck off, /v/.

We're not all as bad as you.

>/v/
My first board was /e/ and my very first home was /a/. But that was a long time ago and I've gravitated towards Veeky Forums,Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums for a few years now, and only come to Veeky Forums on my phone to shitpost and read cool stuff on my lunchbreak. /v/ I've only been to once and it was a terrible experience

Not him but anyone who is here whose first board was not /b/ seriously needs to fuck off.

>actually defending your boards.
Fuck off, they are all shit.

/a/ is one of the few mainstream boards that's not completely terrible. no more cancerous quest threads (probably because the mods kicked them out to Veeky Forums), record low amount of tripfags, its great