I'm considering buying some silver bullion coins to resell later on next year since it looks like silver is going up...

I'm considering buying some silver bullion coins to resell later on next year since it looks like silver is going up slowly.

I know it will not increase as fast a stocks if it does, but is it a good idea?

its just a meme

i already bought some at $15
they already made the bonus before they arrived.

so here is my thinking:
1) silver mining is not profitable under $24
2) mines are not operating or outright closing
3) silver shortage on the markets
4) silver has to go up to $28 for a while for mines to reopen
5) probably will overshoot at one point i' guessing above $35 but this is unsure
6) industry needs silver and there is less of it for trade than gold (usually 12 times the amount of gold)
7) it is under-priced compared to gold like crazy

so yeah i think it's a good idea to buy some.

Transaction costs are too high invest in something tracking silver without hidden fees

Is it true that whatever dealers you buy bullion from must record your name and info by law?

There is a bullion dealer with a storefront near where I live and I would buy from him in cash if I decide to go through with this.

In the US, yes they will record your name and transaction amount.

>Transaction costs are too high
wut?

Why do physical silver? Isn't there some kind of stock tracker for it, like SLV

the entire point of physical silver is to avoid the trap of paper silver market manipulation and not get horribly burned when it all comes crashing down as several hundred claims are made on every ounce of physical silver.

ishares silver claims it has 334,724,214 oz of physical silver
while the entire world only has about 1 billion oz... so they claim ownership of 1/3 of total.
sure... and they claim an other 1/3 351,750,000 outstanding...
totally not suspicious at all.

The whole thing smells like gambling/speculation.

the whole thing is and banks are right in it.
silver is shorted by some serious money. and it's been going on for years.
they can't keep it up when the panic breaks out when finally it becomes evident there is not enough of the stuff. by then the ones shorting it to shits made their purchase.

So physical silver yes, paper silver no?

that's the cautious approach.
i mean it's very costly to daytrade or short real silver but if you long it especially when undervalued buying physical is not too risky or punishing.

but if you don't expect hyperinflation and a rush to metals and simultaneously a silver shortage to develop i guess it's okay to buy paper silver. you would get your money out of it at least. however in a hyperinflation environment that's suicide.

Welcome to the market

it's never a good idea to put all your proverbial eggs in one basket
having some physical metals is a good idea but they shouldn't be more than about 5-10% of a well balanced, diverse portfolio

also if you buy just small quantities of physical coins you will lose out on the buy/sell spread

the end of the world is not likely to happen so you might as well buy into a silver ETF.

>the end of the world is not likely to happen
i agree but the usd will see hyperinflation in our lifetime or i eat my hat

Gold is only reliable as a way to deal with issues with fiat currency like inflation, as far as I know.
Silver is probably similar. Just remember not to dump it because it goes sour for a few months.

gold is more stable silver is more of a speculative asset. gold is undervalued probably but compared to gold silver is way way undervalued right now.

gold and silver are not investments OP. they are a store of your wealth thats protected from inflation and third party risk. thats all.

it's an investment if you buy low to sell high.
i don't know what else to call it. you invest money for future gains.

>buy low to sell high
that's not investing that's speculating. you can't forecast the income of gold and silver because they don't generate any.

>i don't know what else to call it.
you call it an inflation hedge. gold and silver are a hedge against inflation in reasonable, well diversified investment portfolios. they are not an investment in and of themselves since they don't produce an income.

>you can't forecast the income of gold and silver because they don't generate any
they do the minute you sell them.

anyways i think shares are not that different dividends are shit right now compared to market valuation so to invest in shares you basically speculate on the price.

How does anyone know that something is undervalued, anyway?

never mind. forgot where i was for a moment

okay so a shop doesn't generate income because it doesn't produce anything? are you going to tell me this now?

Can't argue with people who speculate on rocks any more than you can argue with the rocks themselves, dummy.

historical data at one hand presumed demand and production / availability at the other.

bump

because paper traded silver and gold are being over sold even though they don't have the physical metal to back up the paper. I read somewhere that there are 500 pieces of paper for every piece of gold sold like this. If everyone came to cash in then it would cause a huge uproar

Agreed. Buy silver? 1-3 % fee. Sell silver? 1-3% fee plus tax on the profit

like every derivative market

Why not use Bullionvault? Buy and sell in any quantity from 1g, it's stored + insured in vaults. Very quick.

If it's not in your hands it's not your gold.

you dont pay tax on precious metals profit if you own it physically yourself

Buy as much as you can, and never sell it ever. I am being honest, it will go to the moon someday.

Seriously though, if you are going to just sell it in a year, then don't even buy physical, buy mining stocks or silver ETFs. But If you must buy physical for selling purposes, then only buy Silver Eagles or Maple Leafs.

So where would you recommend storing gold?

I have old school pandas. Those things are awesome. They have a panda on them.

Don't get me wrong dude, those things are really cool, but there are a shit load of fake pandas out there, I see fakes selling on Ebay all the time. I figure coin dealers will be more likely to buy Eagles and Maple Leafs closer to spot price since they're trusted and always in demand. Personally though, I'm kind of a doom and gloom person, not gonna explain my reasons, but I never plan on selling my silver while the Federal Reserve continues to fuck us all over.

old silvers are faked a lot new maple leaf is pretty hard to counterfeit. the detail on it is insane.

Not being facetious:

1. Somewhere safe that only you and your most trusted confidantes know.

2. Near or with your guns.

But it is best to diversify your gold holdings. Some physical, perhaps in a safe deposit box, some allocated in a vault like with BullionVault, and some in a gold trust like PHYS.

yeah I noticed I have a 1987 silver eagle and I'm not sure if it's a fake.

ASE should weigh between 31.072 grams to 31.103 grams

Do you want physical bullion or virtual?

Do you want a to invest in a specific brand (ASE, Maple, Panda, Kookaburra, Britannica, etc.) or plain silver?

Do you want to invest in bars/rounds or whatever you can get a hold of?

If you spend over $10k in a single transaction, they have to report you to the IRS. Anything less than that is none of their business.

see

>But it is best to diversify your gold holdings. Some physical, perhaps in a safe deposit box, some allocated in a vault like with BullionVault, and some in a gold trust like PHYS.

Good.

This is what i plan on doing. Just bought 40k USD of gold/silver with bullionvault.

that's not a reliable confirmation at all.
no, not even the conductivity acid test density test weight and dimension tests are a 100%.
it's hard to ultrasound thin coins but that in theory detects layers but only if different density i'm not sure about hardness.
so if the insert is a meal mixture that has similar magnetic properties and density to silver it will be pretty fucking hard to detect unless you melt it down.
cheaper fakes will have dimensions not matching the weight or be nonmagnetic or too strongly ferromagnetic.