How old were you when you realised that things won't make you happy?

How old were you when you realised that things won't make you happy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L_30JzRGDHI
youtube.com/user/yuttadhammo/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156028/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I only have a theoretical understanding. Very difficult severing your attachment to material sense objects.

How old were you when you realized that things don't make monks happy because they don't believe it will make them happy, and that all ways of gaining pleasure are equally "pure" and that the only possible true conclusion is to live hedonistically?

mayb ur just pleb lol

This website is for 18+

The nature of the conditioned soul seeks pleasure through merging the senses with the objects of the senses. We propose giving these things up and embracing the higher taste of knowledge and renunciation.
Read the Gita my friend.

Not an argument
Why does the higher taste of knowledge and renunciation eclipse more primal pleasures? Why can't these things been enjoyed equally or as is seen fit?

It is not that material enjoyment is bad. When one attains the higher taste he loses his interest in the lower platform of sense gratification. As the Gita explains most people consider the latter a source of pleasure whereas it only produces distress.

I read literature and learn about new things constantly and these give me a pleasure that is moderate but lasts a long time. I also fuck and make money and dance and break things, and these give me a pleasure that is intense but relatively short-lived

Why does an intense and short-lived pleasure have to be made out as a bad thing? The happiest are those who indiscriminately seek all kinds of pleasure

>happiness = pleasure
That line of thought will get the best of you sooner or latet.

It's literally true though. You just need to shake the idea that "pleasure" always equals "immediate gratification"

A happy life is one that gives you a constant feed of pleasure from your past and present actions

Now i know why junkies are the happiest people on earth.

>tfw too enlightened to reply to this idiot

Ive been having trouble reading lately but I'm starting to do it again, its hard though. I intend to read books about buddhist and taoist philosophy once I read a couple of fiction novels

"happiness" in this context means "free from pain or suffering", not "pleasure"

pleasure is never free because it always leads to pain or suffering in one way or another, usually through "desire"

I think around 19 or so
Wish I had realized it younger but better than nothing

good post

Saw a Buddhist monk on the National Mall the other day with a brand new iPhone 7+ and new Teva sandals, and was rocking some secret bling under his robes.

If you had an unlimited supply of those drugs and continual use of them didn't create side effects that outweighed the pleasure of the drug, then yes they would be extremely happy. However in real life they are not, as any moment they aren't high they experience withdrawal and negative side effects and whatnot

dumbass americans think "enlightenment" exists

youtube.com/watch?v=L_30JzRGDHI

23. Financial independence, good social network, loving partner, and love for your career will make you happy. I have none of those now but hope to soon.

Nothing in this material world will ever satisfy you. Your future desires are just like the false promise of a mirage.

Hahaha! I bumped into that guy too! Did you catch Zhuang, the Tibetan protester with the huge anti-CCP sign?

>all ways of gaining pleasure are equally "pure"
>he is a moral relativist
I gain pleasure from beiting up sissies like you! I am as pure as a monk?
I gain pleasure from executing millions of white people! I am as pure as the buddha.

Prove those statements wrong

Everyone should just watch Yuttadhammo.
He's been corrupted by online fame in recent years but his early vids (how to meditate, ask a monk, (early) monk radio) are still great.
Please remember that meditating (correctly) is much more important than reading the texts.
I too should start again, nothing more effay than the confidence and self-assuredness it brings.
youtube.com/user/yuttadhammo/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

i have been doing loving kindness meditation for a while and i think it made me happier. im also a little better with people i think. there is a study that suggests lkm increased positive feelings.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156028/

>I too should start again, nothing more effay than the confidence and self-assuredness it brings.
he thinks meditation gives these things
m8 thats not how it works

I know from experience that it does.
If it doesn't for you, you either don't have enough theoretical background, did the wrong kind of meditation or have other factors holding you back. I was never more confident, competent and self-assured than when I did multiple hours of vipasana meditation on a daily basis.

>what is the law of diminishing returns
neurology doesn't work that way, mate. eventually you'd get used to it, no matter how pleasureful it is

*tips fedora*

There is nothing more fedora than thinking that you are enlightened and feeling superior to those who are okay with carnal pleasures

Of course, but that's a separate point. You could just continue upping the dosage if you had an unlimited supply anyways

You can't know you're wrong unless you actually do those things

Godspeed user

>The happiest are those who indiscriminately seek all kinds of pleasure

I don't think this is right.