Giving up some hobbies to become successful

Did you quit video games, drawing, etc to get to where you are now?

Did getting a job and reading books like 'Think and grow rich' or 'Millionaire Fastlane' help you become successful ?

>reading books like 'Think and grow rich' or 'Millionaire Fastlane' help you become successful ?

lol

>Did you quit video games, drawing, etc to get to where you are now?

Veeky Forums is mostly NEETs with a couple of trust fund kiddies.

I never played video games to start with, and reading nonsense books except "Secret" are waste of time. Just believe in yourself, polish your skills, learn new things everyday, improve, evolve.

when you get to a certain age you stop caring about video games. you literally just feel like you're wasting your time. your life becomes work and when you have time off you usually do errands or just relax instead of getting hyped up about some fantasy item bullshit

user as soon as you start having some financial success you'll find yourself working as little as possible in order to still have time to play vidya or do whatever it is you genuinely enjoy. Just hopefully gonna be making a lot $/hour.

Video games are a relative cheap hobby if you only buy maybe a game a month or two.

What I never understood are the kids that have to buy xx AAA game day 1 release for $60 and the $60 season pass to play a copy of an older game.

Nethack has kept me for two decades and I never had to pay a penny for it.

As I got older I put more time into working out and less time into video games.

I still game 3 - 4 hours a week though.

i quit spending money

I quit drugs, alcohol, and videogames. I get high from working out these days, I read way more than I ever did before, and I'm well on my way to fluency in my second language.

As for Napoleon Hill, I think he's alright and definitely put some truth out there in a way that is accessible to the average person, but I've personally gotten a lot more out of occultism than I ever did from self-help type stuff.

You can make money off drawing, at least as a side income.

I'm 22, working in I-Banking, and yeah you have to give stuff up if you want to make it big especially in intensive careers (where the money is), I've seen people give up SOs for the job, which is a bit much for me

just quit videogames for the third and final time last night. epitome of soft addiction

what occult material do you recommend

>to become successful
If you're actually using the the vague phrase 'become successful' while posting a photo of a tacky american suburban McMansion, I hope you die in a fire. You are the cancer of our culture.

Those stretched out steps look fucking annoying to walk on. Why not just 3 short steps near the entrance?

>have wasted well over 10000 hours on video games
Yeah cheap hobby.

he meant for everyone that isn't a video game addict and/or dumbass

Hypothetically that's $180,000 of potential income for me

I quit playing video games as soon as I started lurking Veeky Forums, ironically enough. I've also developed better budgeting habits too. Weird I know, but I guess I never really had anyone irl push me forward. I've always been told by others I was doing so well because I was employed and pursued higher education.

This board might be full of bullshit and NEETs, but I've developed good habits reading some of the things posted here.

>hurr durr stop having fun the point of life is to get as much money as possible

Nope. But Dave Ramsey's books were a huge help. I never understood that debt was risk before him. All the get rich books are horseshit and push you into high risk ventures.

>Did you quit video games, drawing, etc to get to where you are now?
I turned those into creative pursuits and business rather than only playing the hobbyist or consumer. I'm a huge sucker for fiction. I've written books ( writing hobbyist growing up ), developed games, am currently trying my hand at web development, and I still use my drawing skill between those projects.

>Did getting a job and reading books like 'Think and grow rich' or 'Millionaire Fastlane' help you become successful?

Not particularly. If anything, Veeky Forums alone motivated me. I got a job at home depot after formerly being a NEET and reading how cancerous I was for it, which I made up to manager with, and then was convinced to turn my interest/hobbies into my current business during my free time. Happy to say that worked out. I have more time for myself without long periods of being unproductive, and more money. As a bonus, Veeky Forums kind've made me realize how poorly I use to spend my money prior to working. I was the same fag that use to spend 200 dollars on sneakers and wind up broke and whining about it the the next week, and bought fast food all the time. I think the bantering threads and personal lurking did more for me than the books, oddly enough.

I gave up sleep
Fuckin waste of time

reading any Veeky Forums board will turn you into a purist in that field as you are relentlessly mocked by autists who obsess about the subject
>g will force you to use Gentoo
>fit will force you to do squats
>lit will force you to read the Greeks
>biz will force you to be frugal

>to get to where you are now
>Veeky Forums
Good thread.

What the hell is I-banking

This. I was never big into games, but anymore I can't play them even if I try. Feels like anything at all would be a better use of my time. I also stopped reading most fiction. Used to be 90% fiction 10% nonfiction, and now it's the opposite. I finish about a book a week, keeping in mind I have full time uni. When I do have jobs I always read on my breaks, so if anything that would increase.

I also draw less because putting in hours a day to it wasn't giving me enough satisfaction to justify the sacrifice. I still draw a bit though, but not like I used to. If you want to be good at it you need to put in like 8 hours a day. For a while I spent 4 hours a day drawing.

I ought to give up Veeky Forums but I sort of do learn things from here that no book can teach you. Veeky Forums saved me from moving to a no-aspects city, for real. Always grateful for that bro's advice that day. Also got me into /out/ /trv/ and Veeky Forums which are now my leading aspirations in life. I've grown hugely more self confident reading personal stories from here and learning from other channers.

It takes several hours to make a drawing that you might sell for $20. What's your hourly wage? You may get 2-3 commissions a week if you're semi-famous. Maybe.

>tfw body needs 10 hours of sleep to function

I wish I could make do on less but it kills me whenever I try. I hate this shit.

>pol will make you become a storm front
>lit will make you read infinite jest
>tfw you realized 99 percent of anons are fedora cringe nerds

Sad life

I still play Video Games, but nothing that hasn't been out for over a decade: Halo 3, CoD MW1, that kinda shit. Not online, just invite a couple of friends over every couple of weeks to smoke weed and play. Also have a gym membership and lift 3x per week. That, and being am active member of a research group at the college I graduated from to get publications with none of the tuition are my only real hobbies. Hard when you work 40 hrs a week

Work hard and know how to manage your money is the code, OP... don't be fool

Yeah, I've noticed that. I think it's a bit interesting though, because if you have any sort of social life outside this site it won't consume you entirely.

Besides this board is too slow to get caught up in all the "haha wage cuck" and "invest in trump coin!" shenanigans.

>I also stopped reading most fiction

Yeah, reading fiction is mostly cringe. You're right when it should be 90 percent non fiction, 10 percent fiction. I read 100 non fiction for almost a decade now ...

Quit wasting time on alcohol, drugs, video etc.

Invest your time into developing yourself - mind and body. Become a better person than you were before and success will come naturally.

>Sad life
I'm actually happier than I've ever been, thanks.

To be honest I avoid vices these days because I had a tendency to go overboard when I did indulge, be it in drugs, alcohol, or sloots, and would rather not fall into bad habits again. I have much healthier hobbies these days such as golf, fencing, and waving glowsticks at underage Japanese girls. I'm not suggesting everyone follow my lead or anything though.

what do you mean by no-aspects city?

Most fiction is trash. I read only good shit. You can tell within a few pages if it's gonna be worth reading, so I drop everything else. And no, not what Veeky Forums says is good. Veeky Forums has shit taste.

Heh. I can't think of a board this isn't true for. /trv/ will have you go to thailand and bang a ladyboi, Veeky Forums will make you eat ramen and mcdonalds, /a/ will have you watch moeshit of the season, /mu/ will have you listen to hipstershit and old rap albums.

>Nethack
kek

Man, at least move up to dwarf fortress

I asked for advice on moving to the biggest city near me which I won't name, because I wanted to babby first move out of mommy's suburb house. Some guy actually lived there and warned me to stay clear, told me it was an awful place and literally nothing was good about it at all. Years later I find out he was totally right and the place is a crime-ridden no-jobs shithole. I was like 19 when I asked so I wasn't the smartest at the time, he really saved me from making a literally bad move.

Fuuuuuck that. I don't want to be successful at the cost of giving up the pastimes I love.

>Veeky Forums will make you eat ramen and mcdonalds

that's kind of gross though? you'd think they'd have more refined tastes

im trying to get rich so i can be a dinosaur again

>/ic/ will make you draw from life

>It takes several hours to make a drawing that you might sell for $20.

I do characiture on the street in a city, i get 15-30 (depends on the haggle) for what takes me ~15 minutes of drawing. With rainy days though, my hourly wage evens out to about $12/hr.

Nyc?

I gave up video games for a bit but felt it was something I enjoyed and helped me relax during my down time. I don't play anything time consuming mostly old shit or stuff you can play in short stint and come back to. I've given up my pursuit of art due to my own fear and doubt about making a living from it. It's always in the back of my mind everyday all day so I feel guilty that I'm running away from my calling.
It really keeps me down because I want to create art and other stuff but I don't put the time into improving.

I agree that most fiction is not worth reading. Instead of casting the book aside and forgetting about it, I tend to read the plot summary on wikipedia if my interest in the book wanes after reading the first chapter. A lot of nonfiction is like this too, but whether a nonfiction work is good or not tends to be more objective.
it's a mix of people who actually care about cooking, people who are economical to a fault in cooking, alcoholics, and people who love meme foods

how long would it take to learn how to draw caricatures? like 10,000 hours of practice or is it kind of formulaic?

I quit collecting rare sneakers

>Waving glowsticks at underage Japanese girls
Good man.

laughably poorly: 2,000 hours of practice
poorly: 4,000 hours of practice
meh-ly: 6,000 hours of practice
mediocrely: 8,000 hours of practice
competently: 10,000 hours of practice

very well: 20,000+ hours of practice

I don't play videogames enough anymore for quitting it to really change anything.
It would be better to quit Veeky Forums, but its difficult as I don't get much social interaction or entertainment elsewhere.

People who collect fucking sneakers anger me. I'm pretty sure that has to be some form of foot fetish or psychological issue spending hundreds of dollars on shoes and hording them.

>implying

>meme fortress

why ? explain

i quit drugs not too long ago.. its amazing how much money i wasted on them.. I save around 20K annually not doing drugs, and watching my investments grow.. I still get the cravings but i have it under control

>20k on drugs

how? Coke or opiates?

20k isnt that much for a yearly consumption

average around $50 a day

cheep stuff, mostly weed, meth, and liquor

The fact that you think this is actually good or commendable is pretty sad. If your life becomes your work, you better fucking love it. Otherwise you might as well kill yourself.

No because im not a faggot

I loved the book The Millionaire Fastlane. It reminded me I should stop fucking around. Plus it reminded me I was doing the right thing by starting my online business.
I am currently working less and less at a job in favour of working on my own biz, which is great.
Because working for yourself doesn't feel like work.

I would still do hobbies if I would have the time for it, but I don't. Maybe in the future.

Wtf am i reading dot jaypeg

Yes because people quit their jobs to play video games. Those 10,000 hrs pf gaming wernt going to be profitable unless you spent them collecting cans on the side of the road

you know this is very interesting, since in the recent months I noticed that games don't bring so much enjoyment as they used to be.
Maybe its that games are worse or I changed or both I don't know. I developed interest in politics (which I hated back then) also as I noticed the older I got I dropped the everyone is equal mindset.

drop these stupid self-help books.

there are legitimate books on creating your own company, but stop the self-help bullshit.

>WALK
>THE