Did I break some sort of job interview etiquette? After my interview was done, I was offered the job...

Did I break some sort of job interview etiquette? After my interview was done, I was offered the job. I told the interviewer I would get back to him. (I literally got a voicemail from another place asking to do an interview while waiting for the interviewer to show up). I feel like he gave me a strange look, or maybe it's just in my head.

you probably could have communicated it better, maybe let him know that you're considering some other offers

Is it possible to not be nervous in an interview? I've had 3 this week, and I feel like I'm not coming off as awesome as I actually am

do a lot of interviews. or drink a beer beforehand

jack off and work out before the interview

Feel like I'm more confident before I Fap

Interesting... Maybe a shot or two so I don't reek of booze

You're absolutely fucking retarded and for that you deserve to have no job. What if the other place doesn't want to hire you? Then you're left with no offer from the other place and the original guy who offered you a job will be thinking 'what the fuck is wrong with this person, I offered them the job they came here for and they didn't accept it?'

Oh and also

>I feel like he gave me a strange look

No fucking wonder, holy shit. What you did is pretty odd.

>What you did is pretty odd.

It's not really that odd, considering other offers is pretty normal

He didn't fucking deny the offer, are you fucking retarded? He said he had other options.

By not immediately accepting a job when its been given to you right after the interview you've effectively denied it. You think the employer is just going to wait for his response? Fuck no, you naive little shit. Read the OP again, he said he'd get back to him, this makes it unclear as to whether he had other offers or not or was just unsure about the job. He fucked up in general.

might wanna get back 2 him

get beta blockers. they are the cure to public speaking/stuttering/stage fright

next time just tell them you accept. and then if the other job accepts you, tell them you got a better offer.

market is way too competitive for you to be honest

Lol fucking poorfag detected. I don't think he was going for a cook position at waffle house. Actual careers involve back and forth during the interview process. I haven't accepted a job straight up at the interview since I was 18

Employers HATE a two way street. Yeah you should have accepted and bailed if you got another offer. But I don't think employees need to be blatantly kow towing--shows a lack of value/Independence

At least you got a read on him vis a vis confrontation

You've gotta be 18, or you haven't gotten a job since you became a xyz 15 years ago. It is important to keep your options open, to accept right after an offer almost makes you seem desperate.

>By not immediately accepting a job when its been given to you right after the interview you've effectively denied it.

That is incorrect, unless he denied it he probably just went with a, I need to check my options so I'll get back.

>You think the employer is just going to wait for his response?

They did try to offer him the job right after an interview, so I'm gonna go with yes.

Which fast food place are you working at lol? If the guy is a good accountant/engineer/software developer/lawyer/finance guy hell yeah they're gonna wait. He might get an email with a better offer in a day or two as well.

>beta blockers
That's exactly what he needs.

>makes you seem desperate

How? You went there to get something and you got it.

>almost makes you seem desperate.
Kek. This isn't meeting some random chick at the club and waiting a few days to text her back. This is a job interview. If you want the job, commit to it. If you have another interview lined up somewhere else, let your potential employer know that. Don't get cutesy. Thats a good way to irritate people.

>These cucks actual the first offer.

Kinda depends how you said it.

24 hours is very normal.

"I'd like to think about it and get back to you in 24 hours"

But i guess if you tell the interviewer exactly what you want and they offer it to you and then you tell them you wanna think about it, it's a little strange.

What did you need to think about?

Why is this board so hardcore about being subservient to employment?

The slave life didn't choose you, you chose the slave life. Seriously, you are acting people should grovel at employers' feet the second they can.

>After my interview was done, I was offered the job
I've been on many face to face interviews for 'real' jobs and this has never once happened to me. Was this an entry level position in a sales, service industry or blue collar career path? Every other professional position should, and I imagine would, give you a phone call to confirm your interest and give you a verbal job offer. This would be shortly followed by a formal job offer letter via email with the benefits package for your review, etc. This time frame can typically be either almost immediately after the interview to 5 days.

>I feel like he gave me a strange look, or maybe it's just in my head.
If the job was an entry level position, were an on the spot offer might be appropriate, it's hard to tell if you burned the bridge. I would say get your ducks in a row and call him back with your acceptance or rejection of the position ASAP.

>drink a beer beforehand
Never EVER do this. Any hint of alcoholic odor or indication of possible intoxication will immediately disqualify for most serious positions.

This guy knows what he's talking about

Standard practice is formal email with the pay and job description

Holy shit you guys are dumb. If you're applying for any position that actually requires some sense of skill and competition you are probably applying to more than one place. If you have an offer from company X but an interview with company Y tomorrow where you'd much rather work, you'd be an autist to take X and retract your application to Y, or to decline your offer at X without an offer from Y in hand. You can't wait indefinitely of course, but a day or two is reasonable.

Plus anywhere where it is non-trivial to replace someone (no, your job at McDonald's doesn't count) and working for a non-trivial sum with some benefits involved, it's perfectly reasonable to take some time to review the offer and read through the contract without the employer looking over your shoulder. That isn't too much to ask. Companies would rather have people who know what they're getting into and want to stay than someone they'll have to replace and retrain five months down the road.

lmao there are people with this low self esteem. Stop wrecking the job market for the rest of us, slave

Who cares if you come off as "desperate?" They offered you the fucking job, you got the fucking job.

>Oh, you'll take it right away, never mind then, we're retracting the offer because that tells us you're desperate.

How's McDonalds treating you bro?

If OP was interviewing for an actual job, this would be perfectly normal. He should have asked for an offer letter and then a few days to think it over.

boom answer

>know what they're getting into
no they don't. 99% of the jobs people get out there are presented with as little as possible about what you're actually going to do and while it's your responsibility to squeeze out a few answers about the position, the company doesn't give a shit what you find out. hr people are pretty scummy about all sorts of details but factoring in how long you take to decide when you're already offered a job isn't there.

i agree that it's smart to go to the other interview first but i feel like you'd have gone over your situation in the interview and when you're available to start. if you say "immediately" and then hesitate on the offer it might look retarded, but i can't believe anybody making a big deal about this shit. i think OP is humble bragging to strangers.

Just say yes they won't give you a contract right away cause dumb HR, from then till you sign the contract you are not obligated. They seldom offer contract up front cause negotiations and stuff. You screwed up.

why would companies hide your duties from you? How the fuck would they know if you were qualified or good for the job?

I always say, "Ok, I have a few offers to go over. Can I get back to you with a decision in 24 hours?" Never had an offer retracted. Companies dont want you to quit on them 2 months in

You must have never had a real job before. You should know pretty much even before the interview if you want the job or not. Any self respecting professional would research the damn company he is applying for thouroughly before the interview. As long as the interviewer is likeable and friendly and doesnt throw you any curveballs like adding extra resposibilities to your job description or offer you a pay way under what you feel you are worth, there should be no problem. No employer is going to look down on you or consider you "desperate" for taking a job after both parties realize its a good fit.

If you do have other interviews to attend to before you make your decision, say so. Dont be a sperglord about it. Be honest and upfront. If, however, you are not comfortable after the interview and want to keep looking then by all means bow out. Otherwise, dont shoot yourself in the foot and alienate a potential employer by playing coy. Odds are they dont think your little 'hard-to-get" game is cute.

excellent strategy, in sales we call this technique, "the takeaway", and it works every time.

>why
so that you're more likely to commit and because its a waste of their time. they know you're qualified or not based on what you share, not what they do. most people are just employees following instructions that they get trained on at the company. you compete for the hardest working and the most dependable people by being concise and enthusiastic about the position. you don't know what might turn somebody away. when i was entry level even when i asked direct questions i would get a word salad about how great everything is in every way without telling me what i'd be doing.

and yeah turnover can be high in some places but effectively nobody is worried about somebody quitting 2 months in. you could make an argument for being more likely to leave after a year but its still worth taking you on if you're the most qualified candidate.

Wow it's like these companies want to fail lol. I dont have experience in office work but that sounds like a horrible way to do business. There must be officestyle companies out there that do business properly, right? A company is only as good as its employees, after all