Why is it socially acceptable for software engineers to dress badly as fuck even though it's a high prestige...

Why is it socially acceptable for software engineers to dress badly as fuck even though it's a high prestige professional job? Those fuckers could afford decent clothes but they just don't care.

Software engineers are autistic socially awkward retards. They think their sloppy style is somehow hip and anti-authoritarian. They are wrong.

It is not a high prestige job. Software engineers often earn a high income and their jobs require a high level of expertise, but it isn't a job that necessarily commands respect.

Because it's a fairly new(ish) field, some of these people are trying to rewrite certain rules about what being "professional" is all about. To people who don't work in tech, this is mostly cringey.

They used to dress in business casual/smart casual but then google came along with their bean bags and aquariums and shit and since everyone wants to be google they stopped dressing for work.

Because there is no costumer contact and prestige and recognition are not build on social interactions in which your looks are integral.

It's perfectly reasonable that people shouldn't be held to a high dress standard in the workplace. How do you expect people to perform good work if they're uncomfortable? It's unreasonable to have your employees turn up in stained ripped clothes but if they're reasonably presentable then I don't see an issue.

Also, this happens in tech because the people being employed usually don't care about how they dress and tech companies are more progressive

This. There are high prestige software engineering jobs (@ the Googles and the Facebooks), but most software engineers are getting basement pay working in cubicle dungeons at places like oracle. If you look at typical engineers of places like Google & FB, while they do not wear business casual, they are usually dressed with pretty well fitting clothes

they don't call them code monkeys for nothing. they're just skilled autists they quarantine off in some back office.

A lot of software engineers at Google dress like shit or just dress pretty plain.

>autistic socially awkward retards
is Veeky Forums full of software engineers?

Software engineer here

Its not a high prestige job by any means

Most people think of you as a glorified IT assistant

giving these people (and most people desu) a dress code will just put them in poorly fitted business casual so why not just have them wear whats comfortable?

millionaire game dev here. The moment I got rich I started wearing pajamas all day.

I think the reason for the shite clothing choice was that I suddenly felt superior to every male I had encountered.

As a result I felt a deep cave-man urge to humiliate them, to rob them of their self worth. Especially my friends for some messed up reason.

So I dress in cheap rubbish and drive a broken car to frustrate and mock them.

This does not help me with women.

lmao how petty can one be

You must live in a shitty burb. Downtown SF here, live in a very beautiful and vintage area; populated mostly by software engineers who work locally. I am respected as a professional and to answer OPs question, who the hell wants to wear uncomfortable and clunky suits everyday? Especially at a start-up where it's people you see everyday, there's no room for that type of formality as we are the back-end of things. Shit head.

too busy making money & enjoying life while you obsess over clothes.

can't take your clothes with you to hell, buddy

>who the hell wants to wear uncomfortable and clunky suits everyday
no one said to wear clunky suits

but you're working at a job, autist. dress like an adult

I'm not a software engineer, but I have to work with them sometimes. And they way they dress / act / carry themselves is disgusting

maybe they just have no fucks to give because they're making so much more money than you

I dont live in America

I think the real answer is when you work all sorts of fucked up hours and struggle to sleep most nights because of stress you don't give a fuck about your suit

I work in aerospace and some of the engineers that I work with dress in the most fucking astoundingly awful ways. These jobs are engineering wet dreams to people fresh out of college my age, but fuck, you'll see some guy get out of a rusted 70s pickup with a mullet, size too small short-sleeve button down with stains, and painter jeans with those five finger shoes. He will go to his desk and design a fucking propulsion system for a fighter jet. This shit is straight embarrassing when they attend my supplier meetings. Engineers and Software developers are so fucking awkward.

>but fuck, you'll see some guy get out of a rusted 70s pickup with a mullet, size too small short-sleeve button down with stains, and painter jeans with those five finger shoes.

that sounds Veeky Forums to me

We're not that smart.

>drive a broken car
I hope it's a rare AE86 with unlimited meme value that no one but a true /a/nimelord gets

>They think their sloppy style is somehow hip and anti-authoritarian.

don't think that's true at all. looking decent is just at the very bottom on the list of things they care about

no one said anything about clunky suits, but even so good suits arent even uncomfortable. youre just a delicate little snowflake

>i'm a software engineer you know, we're changing the world, the project we're working on right now is going to be a revolution. My work is so important that i just don't have time to waste picking up nice clothes. Besides, who wants to look like one of those self absorbed people wearing fancy suits? this tshirt cost $10, those jeans $30 and those sneakers $20. This is what successful people look like. This code monkey gig pays a lot you know. Sure I work a lot and barely have time to do anything outside of work, but that's the price to pay for success.

cant take money to hell either

is this a mega bait thread?

They don't dress like shit because they're engineers, they're engineers BECAUSE they dress like shit

coders and engineers are people who were bullied/teased by girls and found solace in the computer lab. When you're time isn't taken up by the girl's that don't pay attention to you, or the parties you weren't invited to, then you just have more time to debug and work on projects.

they've always dressed like that, and they always will because it's what feels comfortable to them

you probably don't have success with women because you try to be a petty dick to everyone. Or at least that's what you think of yourself after trying to rationalize your inability to take care of appearance

im a software engineer at google
most people dress like shit anyways, software engineer or not.

I think you're playing yourself a bit to make you feel cooler than you really are. The only thing that I really believe is true, is that you wear PJ's and drive not really a broken car but a cheaper one, but I don't doubt you're horrible with women.

notch, just buy 4chin already you lazy faggot

I think the brains of engineers (software and otherwise) tend to be logical and value efficient functionality over anything else. In their mental hierarchy dressing nice doesn't rank highly unless they work closely with other people who always dress nicely (suit or whatever). I imagine they think, 'Put on a shirt and hoodie and pants and you're dressed enough to solve computer and design problems. Why waste effort on your outfit?'

That being said the city I live in is a major software development hub and I see a mix of people dressed sloppy and people dressed in a nicer but still pretty cringe-worthy style. Maybe a slightly over-groomed beard, a decent quality leather jacket that still looks awkward on them, a checked collard shirt, a slightly too relaxed pair of chinos, and a pair of memey sneakers like Stans or ugly as fuck oxfords. Messenger bag is mandatory as well. It's a very specific style that immediately screams software developer to me and I think I don't like it because they clearly tried to dress nicer but they can't figure out how to find a balance between full on suit and 'casual everyday male'

I was one of them until 2 years ago, wearing cheap jeans and running shoes all year long

Then I started my PhD in machine learning and I had to meet with people which I noticed were way better dressed than me.

I still don't wear suits*not that any PhD student does) but now I go to work with either a t-shirt and blazer or pullover and topcoat

I'm not in tech, but I am in a field where I command respect. People come to me because I'm "the expert" even though I'm like 25 and don't have a whole lot of experience in the field, but I do have certain skills that 99% of people do not have and do not care to attain. I normally wear a step above business casual. I have a client-facing position, so I need to look presentable. But the nature of my position allows me to be a little eccentric too, so that's OK too.

I do notice I get more respect, both in and out of work, when i wear a tie or sportcoat

>high prestige professional job?
topp laff

Because they're ugly nerds. They earn lots of money and women still hate them. Think about that.