What was Italian American sentiment during the Second World War?

What was Italian American sentiment during the Second World War?
To my knowledge, Americans of German heritage generally didn't feel too much connection to Germany, and their era of mass immigration (mostly) was decently earlier than that of the Italians in America, who came at the turn of the century. Therefore I wonder, since Americans of Italian heritage arrived later to the country, how their feelings were towards Italy's fascism/alliances/etc across the ocean. Watching Raging Bull made me curious, since the protagonists are Italian Americans and the year start of the film is 1941, and it goes through the rest of the 40s too.

Also on that note, is Italian American diaspora overwhelmingly Sicilian and southern Italian? It seems like common portrayal of Italian Americans that they're dark haired, tanned, and have that southern Italian accent. Most of my friends who are of Italian descent are southern Italian. I can only think of one or two who weren't southern Italian, and many who are and who look it too.

Because after the "unification" of Italy, the Savoy plundered all the men and resources from the South to fuel the wars in the North so most southerners fled the country to start a new life in the USA.

Northern Italy is richer so you would have little motivation to migrate in the first place, and apparently Northerners who were poor enough to consider migrating would prefer South America as a destination.

The rest is connections and communities, bringing more and more of their own families and former neighbors from Italy.

Italian nationals were interned in camps much like the Japanese and German nationals, though they were usually let out much earlier.

You're conflating internment camps for Japanese Americans and POW camps for Italians and Germans captured in Latin America. Italian and German descendant Americans were not interred in "concentration camps", altho the internment camps were arguably "concentration camps" because FDR coined the word, but they were not as Nazi "labor camps" or "death camps".

Source: We had 2 near where I grew up and my grandparents were aware of, and had contact with, people in said POW camps, and amateur historians have written about them.

>is Italian American diaspora overwhelmingly Sicilian and southern Italian?
yes by far
s. America on the other hand was a destination for both, first n. Italians in great numbers, then s. Italians as well
iirc their descendants in s. America are 50/50 from north and south

My grandfather was full-blooded northern Italian, second generation, well-off immigrant to the U.S. He was very anti-fascist, pro-FDR, and married a French-Irish girl.

I grew up with lots of other Italian-Americans (mostly southern Italian), and their grandparents mostly served in the war. If they had more sympathy for Italy, it was about "let's help them get rid of this asshole Mussollini. "

>kiss the fucking ground Mussolini walks on and constantly praise him and fascism
>as soon as it goes to shit, spicks say "we always hated him"
>"let's help them get rid of this asshole Mussollini"

You didn't knock me down Ray.

Our daddy told us not to be ashamed of our dicks, seein' as they was good size n' all.

he never said they were pro-fascist tho

>Not Wops

Do you even racism bro

To be fair, the exact same thing could be said of the majority of anglos right until the war started. Americans in particular loved Mussolini.

>Northern Italians are really different from southerners.
People who say this have never been around Italians for that long.
t. Exotic looking Roman.

False. I know both northern Italians and southern Italians. A few weeks ago when I was in Europe, I went on a hike with three Northern Italians and some other euro friends. Not a single one of them would I have guessed to be Italian off of first glance. French? Sure. Southern German or Austrian? Absolutely.

Most of my friends of Italian descent in North America however, are southern Italian, and they look it.

I know that my father's family considered themselves american first and at least 2 served in the war, one in the Marines the other was a Paratrooper.

Northern Italians are Germanic

No, southern Italians are Greek and Sicilians are Arabs.

Nice meme

Northern italians got celtic and germanic ancestry genetically.They got overrun by the invaders

Northtalians are of Celtic origin to 70%. The Venetians are of Central European origin. The Sicilians are of North African, Greek and Arab origin, but they 've a considerable influence of the Normans (Vikings) 4 this reason many people have blonde hair almost white. Typically the North Italians are almost similar to the French, in the Veneto region with German influences. Untill 1920 Italians arrived in USA were calssified in Nortitalians (who born in the north Florence, and southitalians in the south of Florence. Southitalian weren't considered white races.

>"Sicilians have a considerable influence of the Normans 4 this reason many people have blonde hair almost white"
>Sicilians physically stereotyped as swarthy non-whites with curly black hair

Northern Italy was Celtic BEFORE it got conquered by Rome.

>is Italian American diaspora overwhelmingly Sicilian and southern Italian
yes my family is Milanese and despite me living in Lower New York State my entire life I have never met another italian kid with similar ancestry (they have all been south of Florence

Aosta Valley, Piedmont, Liguria, Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna, Veneto, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol are gauls in denial?

Veneto isn't, don't know about the others.

Family was from Milan province in northern Italy. Traveled on the ship The Labrador.

After WW 1 my great great grandfather served as a logistics officer for Italy. Took his money and headed to New York. After 3 months of nothing moved to California. During WW II my family swore an oath to the US. My great grandfather served in the Pacific with the Marines as a supply NCO. They were saddened to hear a few of our relatives died in Egypt but the entire family was split about the Fascism thing. While they hated the fact a few of their neighbors were interned in the camps they didn't argue against in protest because those who did were interned. That was the last time they voted FDR. In 1944 they voted for the opponent.

That's my family history.

Similar story in my family. One of my great uncles was an Ethiopian veteran who was a devout Fascist and his brother was a Communist partisan who was executed by the SS in front of the entire village.

italiean non sone blanche.

Italian americans from the south are the worst, closer to stereotypical jews than actual jews. No surprise, since they came here to hide their money and steal our moonshine. I would not be surprised at all if they acted as Spies for the Axis powers

Rome began as a colony of Etruria, Black people