Is it insane to save money and be thrifty in your twenties

If your earning value will only go up, why not borrow money now and get accustomed to the type of life you want to be living.

Obviously done with common sense, ie. no short term high interest loans or credit card debt, but what do you think about the idea that saving and being super thrifty in your 20s is just a painful waste of time and you should start in your 30s and 40s

>what do you think about the idea that saving and being super thrifty in your 20s is just a painful waste of time and you should start in your 30s and 40s
I think you're an idiot who doesn't understand the power of compound interest, risk that your value won't go up, and really just wants to make excuses for living irresponsibly.

well thats a pretty stupid assumption. have a deeper think about it before you shitpost the same nonsense the rest of this board does you worthless limey faggot shitcunt

/thread

Why don't you just rack up huge debt living a crazy life then kill yourself when your 40 so you don't have to pay it back?

Why would you ask a question just so you could attack someone who answered honestly?
It feels like you wanted validation rather than an answer.

Simple, the only shitposter here is OP.

you are all full of absolute shit and are unable to take another perspective that goes against the ideology of this board. i would be better off asking reasonable people you bunch of cunts

>get accustomed to the type of life you want to be living.
well, does that mean you'll start sucking dicks from now on?

shutup

It sounds nice because once your 20's are up, that's it.
Personally, I'd rather have more capital to invest, so it compounds and I'll be a much richer man in the future.

I think as long as you *are* saving, you're good. Some people obsess over it, either because they aren't saving anything and they know they should be, or because they don't know what else to do so they just save their money and don't take any risks.

i think that's called student loans

Because spending money on booze every weekend and a fancy car is much better than saving it.

You can invest in your twenties riskily.

But no one on a business board is going to agree that you should throw money into the wind at any part of your life without considering where that money could have been spent more intelligently.

Maybe rather than "getting accustomed to the type of life you want to be living" you should spend your twenties working towards that life and using your saved money to do so.

if booze and cars is your idea of taking risks...

>If your earning value will only go up, why not borrow money now and get accustomed to the type of life you want to be living.

>If your earning value will only go up,

> If

Jobs phase out. You get soft, sick, or were never really good in the first place. Younger smarter people replace you.
Seems to me that in your case it wouldn't be too hard.

Second, you might have a point but the math become a double edged sword. It also depends how you weight different non monetary stats like education level and earning capacity.

X earning Rate ^ Y Earning Time. Transferring those to Q Spending Rate and R Spending time

You could argue that the minimal real savings of your shitty twenties will be counterbalanced by boosts in your later life.

However from a risk. perspective You risk a few things. Opportunity cost. You may never obtain the correct skills to save or your meager early savings form the foundation of your investments. The decisions of small hardship and meager sacrifice will help you make difficult decisions when the hardship is significant and the sacrifices truly painful.

The real question is why aren't you working hard now?

And what are you trading the money for, how are you coming out ahead? What timeframe does this alternative investment create returns in?

Frankly, your ideas about great wealth are likely small. Once you start thinking big. You realize how little time you have and that the consequences of your spending through the aeons are multiplied greatly. How long are your investment threshholds and how much do they cost now vs 200 or 500 years from now.

The way of the wealthy is measured. You must be able to react at all times to an ever changing world.

In this day and age everyone starts saving somewhere and likely at 0 or less.

Capitalists Require Capital to Capitalize on opportunity.

The decisions and number opportunities to save get harder as you grow older.

There is a wide gap between frugal and cheap.

>Capitalists Require Capital to Capitalize on opportunity.
i'm going to put that on a shirt user...

Never in the history of faggotry, has the level of an op been over 9000
Congrats op, by the way i can lend u money with only 1% ann. Interest

But if u dont pay it back i feed u your family

Save money but travel too. Don't waste money clubbing or on shit like clothes ect.
Travelling is easier when you're younger. That is my bitter old fag advice

I'm in the opposite position.

~40k in liquid savings/investments/etc right out of school but don't do anything besides dick around on the internet. Would be nice to pick up a hobby or something but don't want to lose out on those sick compound gainz.

OP it depends on how financially well off you are now and for the future.

Every dollar you spend is 60 something dollars wasted due to compound interested/investing from your future.

What I do is I save/invest my "saving" money from my check right when I get it, and I only leave a comfortable amount of money to spend for luxury things (I add about 200$ to this fund every other week, but I don't spend that. If I go over 500 in this fund then I put the extra in savings)

You really think you;re going to get a 60x return? Even considering compounding, a 5% return per year for 50 years will get you 11.47 dollars per $1 invested.

>B-b-b-but I'll get 10% return
No you won't

join the rest of the modern generation of retards and live in the now and pay later scheme of things. It's going to bite you in the ass if you arent careful. My opinion is that a lot of kids are going to be so royally fucked up the ass in the next few coming years and they have no idea how devastating its going to be for them.

i lov u

This kind of quitter attitude is toxic to success

if i could get 10% on inflation i could retire in 5 years.