/skin/ - Skincare General

Everything related to skincare routines, products, acne, and grooming goes in here.

Wiki:
Skin care basics: tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics
Acne treatment: tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Acne_Treatment

Skinacea Links:
Retinoids: skinacea.com/retinoids/retinoids.html
Sunscreen: skinacea.com/sunscreen/sunscreen.html
Ridding dark eye circles: skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html

Veeky Forums skincare FAQ:
pastebin.com/PArDyf2G

Contents:
- Basic routine, skincare guide, and products tips
- How to pop pimples, remove blackheads and whiteheads
- Why you shouldn't use ordinary soap on your face
- How to improve your skin tone through diet
- Studies on how diary and sugars create acne
- How your skin is affected by sleep, sun, skincare ingredients.

"Please don't post your acne as thread picture next time you create skincare general cause it's disgusting" edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ixsM-pj3Pdk
amazon.com/Bio-Oil-2oz-Multiuse-Skincare-Oil/dp/B000VPPUEA?th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just my opinion but dark bags under the eyes are effie AF

Beaty is subjective. I also like that look, but most people probably prefer that healthy look.

Is there any way of getting dark patches under the eyes?

does anyone else take supplements? I take a multivitamin every day as well as a cod liver oil capsule and it's working wonders for my skin

also, everyone post your routines

AM
>shower
>wipe face with micellar water on a cotton pad
>immediately put on lotion (C&C dual action moisturizer)
>immediately after, put on sunscreen (Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry touch, SPF 110)
then I dry my hair, get dressed, etc, and after that I put on my makeup

PM
>first thing I do when I get home is wipe my face with micellar water again
>before bed, I wash with CeraVe foaming
>wait for a while, then put on CosRX blackhead power liquid
>wait for a while, then put on Paula's Choice 8% AHA gel
>put tea tree oil on any huge swollen pimples
>wait at least 30 min, then moisturize with Cerave PM and go to sleep

>tfw I keep scratching my skin

Anyone here use Jack Black face care products? Or is cetaphil the way to go?

Smoking, sleeping less than your body is used to, not eating much.
No need to combine moisturizer with sunscreen I think.
Make sure to not wash your face too much.
Also do you really have to shower everyday? Why in the morning and not before going to bed?
And no I don't take supplements, I thought about taking them, but I'm still not sure whether they even work.

Moisturize your face well enough and it will pass sooner or later.

Cetaphil my man, their cleansers and moisturizers do the job.

I'm on my anti-acne routine now, not sure what happened but I'm breaking out like crazy.
AM
>cetaphil cleanser
>wipe face
>bp 10% (only in most terrible places)
>wait 10-15 minutes
>neutrogena sunscreen (I'll replace it with kiehl's soon most likely)

lots of water in the meantime

PM
>cetaphil cleanser
>bp 10% on whole face
>10-15 minutes
>cetaphil moisturizer

Everytime I apply something or wipe my face I do it as gently as possible, not sure if it helps, but why not to try?

until you start getting old and just look like you've aged badly.

>not using reverse psychology on your skin
I take bacon grease and cleanse my face with it

bump

i quit using cleanser and exfoliation and it fixed my skin. now i only use moisturizers and nothing else.

Eat two carrots a day and in a month you'll have a very nice non-tan like glow. Look it up

it only looks good if you look good
then it's heroin chic

otherwise it just adds to everything ugly

I don't like the cetaphil cleanser t b h
doesn't feel like it cleans the skin.
I want it squeky

only if you're young and thin and have perfect skin otherwise, but lbr in adult professional environments dark circles make you look tired and possibly on drugs

stop watching anime retard

Do 2 rounds of washing and see how you feel - if you're looking for that skin-tightening effect stronger cleansers have know that it usually causes your skin to overproduce oil to compensate.

>not sure what happened but I'm breaking out like crazy.
First off - I remember reading that BP percentage actually does little difference in regards to fighting bacteria - it mainly only carries more negative effects.
I'd suggest you switch to 5% or 2.5% (those are the increments I know off).
Any changes in your diet lately?
Also note how you wash your skin - I know that when I had breakouts I would get pissed off and be more aggressive with my skin which led to longer breakouts.

Are there any shaving creams/soaps that don't dry the hell out of your skin?

LOL

>it usually causes your skin to overproduce oil to compensate

I tried to find a possible mechanism in the skin for this, but I didn't find any science on it. afaik the sebum glands can't change their output based on skin dryness/exterior sebum levels, even though of course it would be great for them to be able to do so

Whats the best way to deal with blackheads?
The rest of my acne is under control but my nose looks like the million man march

is this pic a meme or is it the best product of each category? for example, is cetaphil gentle skin cleanser better than cerave foaming facial cleanser?

how can i cure acne redness lads

Does anyone know what this shit is on my shoulders and how to get rid of them, seems like some kind of acne, looks much worse irl

Yeah I was using 5% bp but I felt like it did nothing, maybe I'm just shitty at applying it. I'm very gentle now. Sometimes I think I just should get a prescription for accutane and stop giving a shit.

When taking a shower, do you wash your entire body with soap and scrub with a loofa? If not then you need to.

I think you should also consider that maybe your routine is a bit too harsh on your skin - I used to have a similar routine to yours and I always had "okayish" skin but I never broke through to real clearness or at least comfortably looking at my face on a close mirror - that changed when I started cleaning once a day using only very light cleansers (cetaphil cerave and the like) instead of twice, exfoliated twice a week, dropped the BP and got my moisturizer amounts right - it was a bit counter-intuitive at the start but consider that some skins take longer to heal so they can never fully grow right if you keep cleaning and applying stuff like you do on a bi-daily routine - my skin finally got good and I even got a couple of compliments which has never happened.
Another thing I did is start taking zinc and vitamin D - it's mostly because I'm training but I think it might be worth mentioning in case that helped some way.
Good luck anyway.

You know desu, I remember googling it a while back and while I couldn't find direct studies there are enough people who have experienced this effect to warrant giving it a try in my IMO

I had that stuff, I stopped showering using body gel and switched to that basic dove body wash and started using a body moisturizer every other day.

How to get rid of dark red/brown spots due to acne? And indentation in skin

is Aveeno daily moisturizer suitable as a morning and evening facial moisturizer?

Morning:
>wash face in shower (always last, so my pores have time to open up) with It's Skin Prestige d' Escargot cleanser
>Spritz face with bottle filled with Art Naturals Vitamin C Witch Hazel Toner, allow to dry naturally
>Apply It's Skin Prestige d' Escargot serum or Derma E Hydrating Serum
>Apply Derma E Deep Wrinkle Peptide Cream
>Apply Neutrogena Age-Shield Face SPF 110
>carry the sunscreen with me in case I need to reapply

Nighttime:
>once I'm home and am not going anywhere, I wipe my face with Aveeno Positively Radiant face wipe
>before bed, wash face with Derma E CoQ10 face cleanser
>spritz face again with Art Naturals Vitamin C Witch Hazel toner and let dry
>apply Derma E Deep Wrinkle Peptide Serum
>apply Derma E Hydrating Night Cream

Once a week: alternate between glycolic acid peel and lactic acid peel (straight acid peel applied with a cotton ball and left on for 2-3 minutes, never longer or your skin will burn)
Every two weeks, or when I feel like my skin really needs it - use a charcoal mask.

How often, and at what point(s) during the day, should I moisturize my face?

>eyebrows literally have dandruff now and the skin right above them is red and dry.

Mosturizing the fuck out of does nothing and I can't use dandruff shampoo on them without getting some in my eyes. What do I do?

Exfoliate your eyebrows with a washcloth (don't use "exfoliator scrub") every time you shower. After you shower, pat your eyebrows with witch hazel on a cotton ball. Then moisturize.

JUST

can't believe nobody has said this already but it's incredibly likely you just have keratosis pilaris. it's very common. you need to exfoliate and moisturize daily. best thing to exfoliate with is one of those body gloves but make sure you do it after warm water has softened up your skin a bit. within a few weeks it should be basically gone gl

exfoliate before or after cleansing?

Alright I will try smaller amounts of bp first and I'll see how it goes. Did you start eating products with zinc and vitamin d or just took supplements?

> I can't use dandruff shampoo on them without getting some in my eyes
Consider closing your eyes

Supplements, I heard zinc especially has really helped some people with acne - again, I can't say that's definitely what helped me but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of science. Good luck senpai.

Agatha is effay as hell, I agree.
youtube.com/watch?v=ixsM-pj3Pdk
I get anywhere from 4-6 hours of sleep everyday, and I don't take naps during the day. The baggy eyes/dark circles are coming along very nicely. Don't torture yourself for them. Just to bed a bit later, and wake up earlier.
I usually sleep around 1:00am and wake up at 5:30am

for face scrub I use brown sugar and olive oil for toner I use apple cider vinegar and for moisturizer I use coconut oil. (I use coconut oil for oil pulling as well because it helps get rid of acne) Since ALL bar soap does is clog your pores you should never use it, stick to the alternative instead. To exfoliate I use pic related.

Try coconut oil

Does BB Cream do anything besides being an entry level foundation?

That's Keratosis Pillaris, get intense moisturizers and do it twice daily. Exfoliate with a loofah but don't scrub on it hard.

my skin is actually pretty clear and smooth for the most part, but i ALWAYS have at least three or four whiteheads somewhere on my face and while they usually go away in 1-2 days they always leave behind tiny red/pink marks and it's fucking annoying

they're always along my cheeks and jawline and i'm thinking it's dirt or whatever getting trapped in the follicles of my facial hair, but even when i shave they pop back up

do i need to exfoliate more?

does anyone know if vyvanse affects skin negatively? it might just be that im consuming more dairy in protein shakes but id like to know.

seborrheic dermatitis

this is correct

I have rash behind ears. What is this?

Well, how often are you exfoliating?

Probably psoriasis but could be a form of dandruff or eczema. A simple steroid cream will fix this.

Most sunscreens do not have moisturizing properties. That neutrogena one is particularly drying.

You were probably using shitty products/the wrong formulae for your face.

After

Sugar is natural but there's no reason to use it to scrub your face.

This is the only best answer to this problem. Ammonium lactate and AHAs work well together to fight KP. You can exfoliate without manually exfoliating.

Get a steroid cream and put it on before you sleep.

Cerave moisturizing face wash once a day in the shower. Otherwise just rinse face with cold water.

I've started using this as of last week.
Absolutely fucking amazing.
Great smell, not too abraisive, covers your skin in a nice film rather than lathers up, and leaves your face feeling so nice afterwards!
Got a massive tub that will last easily a year.

>I have rash behind my ears
>It's probably psoriasis

lol wut
eczema or sebderm is way more common than psoriasis, and more likely.

Holy fuck do not use this.

what the fuck do i do about scarring and redness? it's driving me crazy

Thanks a lot I hadn't heard of this, I'll buy a loofah and some moisturiser

Bio-oil, or things with vitamin e in general. I use this one on acne scars and stretch marks and I like it.
amazon.com/Bio-Oil-2oz-Multiuse-Skincare-Oil/dp/B000VPPUEA?th=1

There are more aggressive ones to use on your body, like merderma advanced, but I have sensitive face skin and it made me peel so I'd only recommend it on body scars.

thanks user, i'll give it a try!

And why not?

First time in these threads so edify me.

How the fuck do I get rid of racoon eyes? I cleanse, use a Vitamin-C serum and moisturize. Sleep well, stay hydrated. Really not that much of a difference

I don't know if this will work for you but this is what I did for my dark under eyes.

>Drink lots of green tea
>rinse your face with (cold) green tea
>open green tea bags, take the tea leaves out, mix with honey and make a scrub. leave on your face for 10mins
>place already used tea bags under your eyes/ on top of your closed eyes and leave for as long as you can
>tomato juice under eyes
I did all of those things last night, and when I woke up in the morning, not ALL of the dark under eye was gone but it was really noticeably less.

>acne on face has almost completely disappeared, only one or two zits pop up on forehead nowadays, along with a couple stubborn fuckers on the back of my neck
>face is still tinged red, won't seem to go away after months of moisturizing and cleaning the fuck out of it
What the hell, guys.

>fuckers on the back of my neck
Change your pillow case every two days(flip over to get one night on each side), change sheets once a week, wash your neck with cetaphil or whatever you use on your neck after shampoo and conditioning to wash off residual soap

I hate anime

forgive me if this information is in the sticky but i have a question.

I'm almost 27 now, and ever since about age 13 i've had dry peeling skin on my face. it's worse around my nose and in between my eye brows. No amount of exfoliating, or lack thereof, or moisturizing, or lack thereof has ever cured it. The only thing that slightly helps is this microdermabrasion shit in pic related but only for about 24 hours then i start flaking like crazy again.

I don't really know what to do. I've never been able to figure it out and i'd love to finally rid myself of this awful condition.

>shitty severe cystic acne for years
>fancy solution after fancy solution all fail, 3 month trial periods for every one
>every suggested AM/PM solution fail
>salicylic acid, no popping, benzyol peroxide, all fail, no matter the schedule used
>horrifying scarring on clear days, bleeding constantly on bad days (a few days a month were usually bad enough that there would be a little bit of blood and pus on the pillow when I woke up)
>even do meme minimalist solutions like oil cleansing with coconut oil, vegetable oil, each tried daily for a month
>aztec mud masks fail
>almost consider isotretinoin (Accutane) but really don't want cancer/depression/permanent flaky skin
>get really close to doing it
>but wait!
>move from CA to CO
>start using Dr Bronners during hot shower, basic no-brand moisturizer and no-brand sunscreen immediately afterwards, every morning, nothing in the evenings
>8+ hours of sleep a night no matter what
>face clears up completely in a week
>scarring heals up over the course of a month
>no more acne at all except for tiny zits once a month or so
>mfw

>mfw image upload failed with no warning
>mfw no face

Lol, do people actually want this or is this a meme? I have naturally really dark patches and it fucking sucks

But I guess what said + being pale

I'm taking Accutane, I'm almost done with it and my acne is cured, anyone here mind sharing their experience with Accutane?

Using a physical exfoliant over-exfoliates your skin and leaves small scars, making your skin more vulnerable to breakouts. This is the first face wash for a lot of teens so it makes sense that it makes your skin feel nice after, but most face washes will do the same.
By conflating washing with exfoliating, St Ives tricks you into thinking it is cleaning and saving your skin when really it is damaging it further, drying it out and setting you up for a wrinkly future.

I was once in love with a guy who was taking Accutane. Every time we kissed his lips would bleed and I felt bad.

Yes, if you use it every single day that's bound to happen...
I use it once or twice a week!

considered seborrheic dermatitis?

somebody redpill me on wheatgrass

>regarding dairy and acne
i eat fair amount of dairy
milk in cereal at breakfast, cheese for lunch/supper, milk in coffee 3+ cups a day
feel like i need to change, but what's a good replacement? dairy just tastes so good
(not looking for a literal faux-dairy replacement, just something of a similar role in meals)

Totally cleared up my acne, fucked my right hip joint up temporarily tho which was fucking annoying. Also I'm now depressed and anxious but I doubt that has anything to do with the medication

I'm new to this thread, could anyone with grease skin tell me their skincare routine? How do you keep your skin clear without looking like you run a marathon?

For cooking(tomato bisque, mac n cheese, etc) I use soy and it gets the job done. For just as an addition to things, like milk in cereal or in a smoothie/coffee, I use coconut. For crumbled cheese on things(nachos/burritos) I use cashew.
Cutting dairy really cleared my skin up, you're on the right track. Other things to look at could be chocolate, fried food, or oily food like peanut butter/nutella.

Some people have a dairy intolerance and that's why they break out, but you might not. A good way to test it is to cut it out for 2 months, if it doesn't improve you need to look elsewhere.

Everyone post your favourite gentle cleansers please.

Here's all the shit I use. (Dry skin here)

>The cleanser is alright, dries my skin but my pores do look smaller.

>I just started using the moisturizer but it's doing good so far plus it's $5 for a big ass tub.

>Biore is the sunscreen I can stand wearing since it seems all sunscreen here in the U.S is greasy, heavy, smelly, shit.

>Amlactin did wonders for my KP, it's still there but much improved.

>Safety razor gives me a much better shave and shave soap doesn't fuck my skin like canned gel does.

I also use Everyday Shea body wash which is enough to moisturize the rest of my body.

Wouldn't mind recommendations for new cleanser but this one works just fine.

I can't find the source anymore, but I've read that the cosrx bha isn't the right ph to be effective. You might want to try paula's choice or stridex redbox or something. Also, tea tree oil should always be diluted, not put directly on the skin as it can be irritating.

If you don't like it use something else, there are better cleansers out there. I don't know why fa jerks off to the stuff

I do hope you're trolling, sleep deprivation will fuck your skin and body up

Sugar can cause tears in your skin, it's better to use a chemical defoliator for your face.Coconut oil can clog pores as well, but ymmv

At the very least use a sunscreen and moisturizer, bud

is right, listen to them. They've even got lawsuits going on right now because it damages peoples' skin. The walnut shells they use have jagged edges that create tiny tears in your skin

Depends on the cause but it's genetics and caused by thinning skin there's not much you can do short of fillers, desu. But take care of your skin to keep it from getting worse. And please, start using a daily sunscreen.

What actives do you guys use?

I'm on a cocktail of L Ascorbic (C15) Acid, Niacinamide, Azelaic Acid, BHA (Salicylic), and 2% Retinoid.

Tips of newbies: there is no more important step in skincare than sunscreen. I use COSRX's SPF 50 PA+++ Aloe Suncream.

Does anyone know about skinfix? Are they really actually good or is there a more effective alternative?

AM
>Wash face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
>Apply Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 mucin power essence

PM
>Cetaphil cleanser
>Neutrogena Rapid tone repair moisturizer
>Snail essence

Been doing this for almost two weeks and it's already made a noticeable difference.
Anything I should add though ? Sunscreen ?

Does cystic acne go away just like regular whiteheads? I never really had many problems with cystic acne before but now I'm breaking out hardcore on my left cheek. Kill me.

Yes, sunscreen. That's pretty good for a basic routine, do you have any specific issues you want to target?

ya, best thing to do is wait
and wait
and wait

and DO NOT touch anything

Wash the red and flaky areas with tar based shampoo. I use Neutrogena T Gel. Only use it two to three times a week.

After you shower, when your eyebrows are dry, put some hydrocortisone on it. Or go to your doctor and get a prescription for amcinonide 0.1 to make it go away faster.

show us your face

Any anons here have an experience with skin bleaching?

What are some skin whitening/lightening creams that won't give me cancer?

Ever since I've come to America from Canada I've had nigh-constant chin breakouts. I've had successful luck treating them with Cerave cleanser, rosewater toner and Cerave moisturizer but they just keep fucking coming back. Right now I have the biggest clusterfuck on my face right now ever and I want to die. I think it's the American food tbqh

Anyone recommend me a good quality dermaroller that won't break the bank?

Not really I just want to get rid of the blemishes. My face never gets oily and hasn't gotten extremely dry like it used to since I started the routine.

can someone tell me what this red irritated area on my chest is? even went to my dermatologist and the bitch couldnt tell me shit. ive had it for years it sfucking annoying.

Help me famu's. Skin keeps peeling off my fingers and it won't stop. I usually get my teeth and rip flakes off. Pic related - looks like I was in the water but this is what they always look like

Are you in California? They have really bad air pollution problems there.

Also really bad food

Couldn't breathe properly in Commiefornia. It sucked,,