Post World War 1 memorials from your country

Post World War 1 memorials from your country.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War
youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War_prison_camps
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_on_the_Spot_Declaration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_during_World_War_I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Bear_Expedition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/339th_Infantry_Regiment
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

oh fuck, wrong board. Never mind.

I don't know how this is a wrong board topic but here's the big horse dick in my town, I can see it from my window.

Who the fuck did that

could be anyone. nobody likes war criminals and mass murderers.

Leftist autism strikes again

We have hundreds of these

Canadian National Vimy Memorial
it's in France not leafland though

Majestic

That is an Eiserne Front logo, I can tell you that much.

Still odd.

wew lad, literally have zero on my HDD.
time to travel again i guess
but in germany it's in every village bc propaganda in pre ww2

probably the most badass one

how is Mannerheim a war criminal or mass murderer?
because he defended Finlan from smelly Ruskies?

>that text

This is in my city. It's more of a catchall "war memorial", but it uses a Doughboy so it probably counts.

Mannerheim commanded the "bourgeoisie" side in the Finnish Civil War

Translation please?

Japanese Navy Memorial in Malta

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

Every french village has a war memorial to its sons who died during WW1. And it's actually incredible how different they are, and really shows what the people were thinking at this time.
In some villages, you had triumphant french soldiers, rifles raised, glorious. In other, like pic related, you have a lone soldier, tired, at guard, relieved the war is over. In some, they commemorated peace and hate war ; In others, it really shows how atrocious the germans were and somehow call the people to fight again.

This is in my city centre.

not because what hi did to ruskies but other finns twenty years before that. after the battle of Tampere the that shit became more like a genocide than war

Please name exactly what he did wrong, if its just lead the lawful goverments troops then you dont have much of a case.

>Please name exactly what he did wrong,

nothing

Not my country, but worth posting. Probably the best of any war memorial.

>Japs
>In Malta

What

We have one in France too.

if it's "just" leading those lawful troops to murder 30000 people from already small population then that's pretty clear case to me.

This is my local one. Although that's a bit misleading because there are a whole bunch of them throughout it and lots of smaller ones dedicated to each battalion, listing the local men who in them.

One of the benefits of having a national identity forged by the first world war is getting a shitload of these monuments. The national memorial is also pretty great.

Please provide your source.

An orthodox chapel built by Russian POWs in 1916 in honor of the fallen Russian POWs who have died in an avalanche while building a military road through the mountain pass Vršič, Slovenia.

So im guessing you have no source or anything beyond shitposting?

I really like this one

they teach you this at school if you live in Finland. if you don't or just didn't bother going to school you can start civilizing yourself by reading these:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War_prison_camps

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_on_the_Spot_Declaration

It's a shame how poorly maintained it is compared to the other war memorials in Washington

Yes i think most of us are aware, what exactly is wrong with this? Are you saying theres something unusual about executing people on the spot for murder and other crimes during war?

the thing is that the country wasn't even de jure at war so death penalty would have been illegal even if they did (and they usually didn't) give them a fair trial. yes, everyone knows that war is brutal business and you really can't expect it to go by the book but that guy literally gave his officers an order to murder their prisoners as they please during peace time.

Pretty ugly but I like the message.

>peace time
i think you should take your own advice and go back to school and read what actually happened during the civil war.

at that point country was technically at peace because government didn't want to declare state of war because that would also have affected their own authorities. and that is actually a war crime itself.

what's wrong with killing gommies who want to turn your country into Soviet puppet state #103402?

yes im aware. and since you clearly read the wiki article you are aware the shoot on the spot declaration was a comprimise between the goverment and the army in practice. so what exactly did mannerheim do wrong here again? technically broke a law that was being broken by his leaders already because they didnt want to give ultimate power to the army? youd have preferred ultimate power to the army which would have led to the same conclusion anyway?

it's completely different thing for field troops to independently and impulsively kill people because, well, that's what they do, and for their supreme commander to officially command them to do so.

???
in the latter and the former cases a supreme commander is ordering the killing

Technically speaking it's on Canadian soil, France gave it to us.

>tfw so many feels that even Hitler was moved

Bigger pic

It's easy to overlook that Japan participated in WW1, on the Allied side no less.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_during_World_War_I

What's inside?

This feller

I love the Vimy memorial, it was breathtaking when I went. The one at Beaumont-Hamel is canuck as fuck.

>tfw He will never rest in German soil

Japan only participated in the war so they could steal some islands Germany had. They're pretty irrelevant other than being opportunistic thieves.

>tfw he didn`t want to

>Post World War 1 memorials from your country.

Michigan checking in;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Bear_Expedition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/339th_Infantry_Regiment

The communist subhumans destroyed it tho

Liberty Memorial in Kansas City. the mightiest phallus

>tfw he will never get his wish to rest in Germany when the monarchy is restored

Central Park, Manhattan New York

7th Regiment, which saw defensive action on the Marne against the Germans' last major offensive and was part of Battle of Argonne Forest. Incidentally, the deadliest battle in American history to that point, with 122,000 U.S. casualties.

you can't make shitty posts like this without providing translation

Toronto

Here's the Verdun memorial/cemetary.

(each white thing is a cross btw)

Same place in the fog, actually impressive... Just crosses as far as you can see

An happy little one, for a change.

(shameless bumping is shameless)

Very eerie.

I can't for the life of me find a picture of it, but there's one similar to this at UT at Austin. Apparently it's a statue of a student of UtaA who was one of the first American soldiers to die in the war.

To be honest it's easily one of the coolest places you'll ever go to though. It is kind of an eyesore outside but I loved the inside.

what is the point of this statement, they contributed and were rewarded by being on the winning side, they ventured quite a bit to help people hardly even cared that they existed and were rewarded for it.

unless you are korean and if so I understand

Just under the Arc de Triomphe, it's basically an unknown soldier chosen to represent them all.

my ottawa nigga

Okay last one, this thread doesn't seem to have his public :^)

Looks pretty comfy honestly

Fuck turks

From Melbourne. I worked at the Shrine of Remembrance for a year, which is basically a WW1 memorial/museum.
This statue is called Cobbers and commemorates the giant fuckup that was the Battle of Fromelles.

The Shrine of Remembrance itself.

We didn't even participate in WW1 lol

But, the largest naval battle known to many did happen off our coast, so there's a memorial here.

Statue called Driver on the Shrine reserve commemorating the men of the transport services.

On the other side of the Driver statue is this one called Wipers. Wipers was how Australian soldiers pronounced Ypres.

And this is the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. These walls are behind the arched walkways to the left and right here.
Because the war is so important to Australias self image there was a shitload of building and commemoration work done in the interwar years to fluff it all up.
The whole place is impressive though, even if it lays on the religious theme a bit thick.

The chapel at the back of is the tomb of the unknown soldier and has a bunch of these stained glass panels.

beat me to it, fellow countrymen. good job

From out the front. The museum of the AWM is definitely worth a visit though, thousands of great exhibits.

i love these modernist ones the most. i think only they capture the horror or war without glorifying it.

Whenever or not what Mannerheim did was bad, anyone who thinks he was terrible while supporting the reds should be shot.

what the fuck is Captain America doing there?

pitzhanger manor war memorial, Ealing, UK

This was at Shiloh but feels appropriate

Belarus?