Is finance considered an Veeky Forums career?

I hope so, I'm studying economics.
My uncle used to work for Lehman Brothers and he told me that basically everyone in the city wore a dark grey suit.

>I hope so, I'm studying economics.

Have fun in Grad school

basically the new factory worker for Capital

Eeeeh I know. But I'm just a freshman so I'm not going to worry now.
We also have a very nice double degree project with some really cool foreign unis so maybe I'll do my grad somewhere cool.

I really hope that I can get into a good school in the US for my MBA so that I can earn okay money, live in a nice suburb of a smaller city and spend my weekends at a the local Country Club. I hate being europoor

Veeky Forums sure, but otherwise it's a shitty career

You need to look successful to get anywhere in finance so you're going up against rich frat boys no matter how smart you are

Even then, you're being replaced by algorithms more and more everyday. At my bank new hires in technology outnumber bankers 10 to 1

pretty boring in clothing choices desu

it'd be much better to get a job where you can dress business casual

Is business casual a good choice for a medfag/someone who earns good dosh?

You don't need to go to grad school to work in finance as an econ major. Do you go to a top LAC/Ivy?

becoming a corporate slave is not Veeky Forums to begin with, the sector does not matter

Hahahahaha fuck no. It's the most chad of areas of study.
this
Nothing Veeky Forums about normie-tier laden careers.

what, are you saying if you should dress business casual all the time just because you're in the medical field? do you want your career to affect how you express yourself?

I'm European, but my uni has been rated as the best in the country in 2016. I think we have some kind of partnership with Stanford and others, some of my profs taught at Harvard, so I guess it's a pretty good school internationally as well.

It's not at all Veeky Forums. Believe me, I work in one of the Big 4

Pretty sure subordinating yourself to the demands of society isn't Veeky Forums

>medfag
work uniform/dress code

Which country, if you don't mind me asking?

Italy :)

Tfw finance/comp sci double degree master race

Similar situation in Switzerland. A couple really good friends of mine went to your uni (and apparently liked it a lot).

Oh did they? We are talking about Luiss university, right? I'm enjoying it too so far.

My bad. looked at the wrong ranking, I guess. The one I had in mind was further up north

Our rivals, Bocconi :P joking of course, we get along pretty fine, at least for me. They were the first of the country in 2015 but we surpassed them in 2016. Their uni is much older and bigger so they're probably known more outside of the country.

Yep, as an outsider you don't get much exposure to domestic rankings.

I'm interested in knowing more about it as well. I am looking to get a degree in finance or economics. I would be really interested to hear about it from some of you guys, and how it has affected your "effay" lifestyle, is the pay good enough to buy designer clothes every month?

The pay is amazing, you can buy pretty much whatever you want. The amount of work and hours you put in are brutal though. I don't work in finance but I have a good friend who does. He worked 100 hours per week, not every week, but nearly every week. He did that for nearly a decade and makes around a million a year.

>2017
>not studying MIS or other hybrid majors

Been in various trading roles for the last few years now, and your experience depends on where you end up. It can either be the most joyless office drone job, or it can be crazier and more bohemian than than an artist's lifestyle.

Just don't fuck up in school and take the first job you can in NYC

What's a good way to get your Series 7 and 63 Licenses if you're not from a target school and can't get into a competitive training program.

Why do you want it? Most places that you need it for sponsor their employees if they don't have it

I'm hoping to go into wealth management and majority of openings want you to already have the licenses.

Do you think I should just apply for positions that say they require them?

Yeah if it's an entry level position usually the implication is that they'll pay for it...though most places just spell it out some sort of addendum to the Series 7/63 requirement that says "or ability to obtain within 3 months", which means it's paid for but you gotta get it done on your own time before the deadline.

Otherwise you can take it on your own I think for like $1000...pretty steep and it's not going to really open the doors on its own without some experience to back it up

A lot of the openings say that they want x amount of months or x amount of days require around 3-5 years financial experience. Would working as a personal banker count? Or do you think I should pursue a role with AXA, Vanguard, or a sketchy small firm that makes you pay for your licensing.

literally the least effay thing ever

Any tips on getting in the door?

I did well in school and have been applying for months, but barely get any responses.

I think if you look around you can find a place that does entry level and pays for the license...most commonly with the small sketchy places, they'll pay for the license but you'll be doing awful grunt work like nonstop cold calling and be paid a pittance with the promise of commission that never comes. Knew a guy that started at one of those places and it was torture, but after a year or so he got a job with Merrill Lynch at 50k with better commission prospects.

I had a CS degree from a shitty state school and just went to New York to chance it with a friend of a friend who had a fintech startup because I knew I wanted to get involved in trading. The startup was terrible but one of our investors was the head trader at a small prop firm. From there I was set because I made so many good connections and bounced around to different jobs.

I'd say take whatever you can that gets you meeting a lot of people in the industry. There are many prop trading firms that don't even advertise positions and just like to take good people that they meet. Try First New York Securities...they hire a lot of regular state school students and the last few years have been tough for them so there's been a bit of rotation. There are also shit prop firms like T3 where you have to put up some capital (5-10k) to trade about 100k. These places really don't care if you succeed or not, but if you want trading experience that would be the most immediate way to do it

ignorant af

this

Any quants/aspiring quants here?

How do you like it? I was considering doing that for undergrad and getting my masters and phd in statistics.

Which role in banking or finance in general should I aim for if I want the bohemian lifestyle?

My friend said he once went to a trading floor of a BB in NYC (think BAML/DB/CS) and all the traders he met were wearing rollies. Is that something common?

Probably. They would want to display their success somehow to get more clients. Either fake or real.

>Implying finance is only banking
Kek don't comment on something you don't know about

how old are you

There are many lower end Rolex watches that men buy themselves when they start working, especially if they didn't grow up wealthy. Yes they're still around 10-20K but they're mass produced and a "standard" accessory for the industry.