What does Veeky Forums think of this?

nytimes.com/2016/06/02/world/europe/reprint-of-hitlers-mein-kampf-tests-german-law.html

> Should this reprint be allowed?
> How will this affect the interpretation of the text?
> What does this say about freedom of speech in Germany?

I would like to hear everyone's opinion of this article,Deutschfags in particular

NZ fag here, completely banning a book from production is no more justified than straight up book burning. The fact that they would even consider banning this book means that free speech is on its way out in Germany and perhaps the Europe in general.

> Should this reprint be allowed?
Pretty absurd that it was banned in the first place. Banning of books is a pretty huge affront to freedom of speech.
> What does this say about freedom of speech in Germany?
That comedian being prosecuted in Germany for insulted Erdogan pretty much says all you need to know about freedom of speech in Germany.

I'm digging that sword cover on the left

>What does this say about freedom of speech in Germany?
That Germany is a country occupied by Jews .

What it says about freedom of speech in Germany is that what Hitler says makes a lot of sense.

>Should this reprint be allowed
Yes, banning books is insane.
>How will this affect the interpretation of the text.
If you need thousands of words worth of annotations to tell you that Hitler is a goober you're probably already a neo-Nazi.
>What does this say about freedom of speech in German
Freedom of speech in Germany is about as real as gender equality in Saudi Arabia.

>dishonest ""intellectuals"" throwing "you're doing the exact same thing the nazis/hitler did" everytime someone has a strong opinion about something that doesn't follow the norm/rule or it's just too excessive according to their judgement even though he has little to do with the nazi regime
>proceed to try to get this book banned to avoid people to be more like hitler

i don't want to go full ad hitlerum but you know who else had several book burnings and banned books?

(next step: "reeducation" fields for those who refuse to follow the democratic values of the western civilization)

It wasnt banned. The copyright was held by state of bayern and they did not print any. Now its expired any everyone can.

This, except the state of Bavaria.

Laws in Germany aim to protect honor to an extend, that comedian called Erdogan a goatfucker. Erdogan wanted to open a case against that. Punishment will be minimal, if he is convicted.

is Erdogan a german citizen?

Banning books is retarded anyway.

I mean, if you are a sensible and rational adult, there's just no way that you would be convinced by the ideological ramblings of the madman who wrote that book.

>Freedom of speech in EUROPE is about as real as gender equality in Saudi Arabia.

FTFY, pic related.

Can you kill a foreigner in your country without legal consequences?

>tfw you have a copy displayed prominently on the shelf
>never read it and never will, only exists as a conversation piece

kek

Well he is Turkish

>equating comedy to murder

No, equating law to law.

I don't know about you, but here in the U.S. you can say just about whatever you want about a non-citizen in the name of comedy. Cracking jokes isn't the same as murder, Osmanli.

>should the reprint be allowed
Yeah. Fuck censorship, it never achieves anything.
>how will this affect the interpretation
Everyone who reads it should interpret it as they wish
>what does this say about freedom of speech in germany
That it exists and is not ideologically challenged.

I have held a signed copy. Guy in my town sold it for a good amount too, he let me see it once. Friend's grandfather. He also had a photo of Hitler that he took personally that has not been released publicly. I think he plans on selling it at some point too.

It's of Hitler waving out of a car over a crowd taken from about thirty feet back or so.

Bayern is german for bavaria

As I said, there is law against insult in Germany. That law is being applied.
I recall internet trolls in the US being arrested for threatening bombings or something.
So freedom of speech in the obviously limited even in the most free country on earth.

>Freedom of speech
>Exists in Germany
Enjoy getting fined for insulting glorious Sultan Erdogan.

Yeah, but threats of violence aren't seen as speech where the law is concerned.

The book was never banned, just copyrighted. Now the copyright has expired and German publishers are allowed to print the book again, that's all.

>State owns the book
>Refuses to publish it because muh public morality and guilt

Pretty much de facto ban.

Just as insulting without any underlying meaning in Germany isn't protected by the freedom of opinion.
This whole case is really blown of of proportion.
The only instance where freedom of speech could be considered crippled is Holocaust denial and such.

bomb threats aren't free speech though

erdogan isn't in Germany, doesn't live in Germany, has no German passport, isn't a German citizen
false equivalency out the arsehole comparing murder to a joke

>Pretty much de facto ban.
Yeah, except that you can freely buy the book from any foreign publisher.

>Disney owns copyright to mickey mouse
>Disbey doesnt create any mickey mouse for years and no one else is allowed to
Does that mean mickey mouse is banned?

>Does that mean mickey mouse is banned?

Yes, in practice it does, which is why I said de facto.

>Just as

No, sorry. Threatening to bomb something is not the same as insulting someone.

You can still buy the movies second hand and watch them. Same was applicable for mein kampf. Its just copyright at work.

So your analogy to Disney was wrong then, because that actually would be synonymous with a blanket de facto ban.

True. But having closer bounds for freedom of speech doesn't mean it is not-existant or seriously threatened. Laws against insult can of course be criticitzed, but in the end they don't really affect people here.

>freedom of speech in Germany

It's far from a de facto ban, since you can still buy, sell, own, import and export all the mickey mouses that you want. The only difference is that there won't be new ones put on the market until the copyright runs out or the company resumes production.

No if mein kampf was banned, having it in your posession would be a crime, which it was not. Just producing it was against copyright laws.

Ban means illegal to possess. That was never the case for the book. You can argue copyright laws are a form of ban by their own but thats a different topic.

Why was this trashcan of pure ideology even banned in the first place? It's extremely shitty desu. I don't think 21st century readers would become Nazis simply by reading that book.

>It's far from a de facto ban, since you can still buy, sell, own, import and export all the mickey mouses that you want.

Until they say no more will ever be sold. Which they could do.

The only thing that Disney can do is stop production. All mickey mouse articles that are in circulation at that point will remain available, countries where the copyright doesn't apply will still produce them and the mickey mouse stuff that you personally own will stay in your possession. This isn't remotely close to an actual ban.

>The only thing that Bavaria can do is stop production. All mein kampf books that are in circulation at that point will remain available, countries where the copyright doesn't apply will still produce them and the mein kampf stuff that you personally own will stay in your possession. This isn't remotely close to an actual ban.

But Bavaria did print the book. What was it, 100 per year? Yet books get censored in US by libraries and no one gives a fuck.
Its more of piety reason since the writer was promoting and did kill millions of people just because they werent german.
Why am i responding to trolls?

>Nazis ban books that disagreed with their ideology
>Liberal Germans ban a book that disagrees with their ideology
Ahhhhh Fascism

>Freedom of speech
>Europe
404, file not found. Germans, Brits, French, and most other Europeans do not have any real freedom of speech.

>You can still buy the movies second hand and watch them
Now we even have our own secret black market to circumvent the ban. 100% de facto ban.

>Yet books get censored in US by libraries and no one gives a fuck.
No they don't.
And even if this was true, you can still print and buy whatever books you want and the government won't do jack.