Is being a waiter a good part time job for someone in their 20's Veeky Forums...

Is being a waiter a good part time job for someone in their 20's Veeky Forums? I am looking for something to do to make good money while I figure out what to do with my life. I have an amazing personality and I think I could really shine in making tips which is the one reason I want to do this. I just want to make more than 10 dollars an hour. Thoughts on being a waiter/server?

Ask yourself this: "Do I have tits and ass?" If yes, then you might make some good money serving.

Ive known plenty of good looking dudes who could make good money by being a server

that or pizza delivery are both great
I have averaged 10-18$ an hour with both.
it's getting the the point where i don't even want to get an internship.

don't settle for some cheap ass restaurant, though
i was lucky enough to start as a barista and the place morphed into this small-menu, $25 entree dinner setup, so you might want to consider driving first if that's more your style

i see

Restaurant manager here

One of the restaurants I manage in peak season (which is now through september) they are walking out with $300+ for like 7 hours of work (10am-5pm and 5pm - 11pm shifts).

You can work as a waiter and make $70k a year with no degree but you'll be forfeiting your nights and weekends. There are some restaurants in the financial districts where the peak time is M-F during lunch rush but those are a lot more scare and even then it's lunch so much lower check averages.

The job is also a lot more stressful than one may assume if your only experience is from the customer side of things.

If you can work fast, handle stress, stay organized, and pretend to like people then it can be a good job. Just don't piss through all your money because a lot of bartenders and waitresses have no concept of financial responsibility and will spend hundreds of dollars drinking and partying every week.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah i am good with money since I have been on Veeky Forums for a while now. I have no serving experience though, any idea what would be a good joint to apply that that will take me? And how long should I work there before I move on to another place that requires experience? Thanks much

Yeah I make $13-$14hr. Fast and easy money but you'll get burned out after a while but I need the money

Just be mentally prepared. As a waiter, you'll have to deal with horrible and demanding customers.

I'm an attractive and charismatic guy, 20 years oldn and I do pretty well serving.

Waffle house wants to hire me, they say you make 10-14 dollars and hour and its a super busy one too. And apparently you can move up into management if you stay with them long enough which you make a lot more than 10-14.

then why are you even asking dude go for it

Confirmed for /real/

As near as I can tell it's a personality thing. Some people take to it easily and some people just can't deal. If you are one of the former it's a good part time gig.

Just don't get sucked in.
I have seen people start serving 1 day a week to earn extra money while not at thier white collar job, and slowly get sucked into restraunt degeneracy and have it legit ruin their lives. Don't be that guy.

Serving is great cash. I've been serving part time for years. When I've been between jobs, I've served full time and it's more than enough to live comfortably. Just remember to save your money. Since the cash comes fast, a lot of servers spend it just as quickly. Don't fall into that cycle- be responsible with your money.

>I have seen people start serving 1 day a week to earn extra money while not at thier white collar job, and slowly get sucked into restraunt degeneracy and have it legit ruin their lives. Don't be that guy.

can you elaborate on this?

Sure.

I don't mean to paint too broadly here, as some people are more susceptible to this than others.

It starts with the fast cash. People start serving or bartending and get used to those nightly payouts.

Thier is a kind of restaurant culture at work. Restraunt people tend to work nights and weekends, so they naturally start hanging out with other industry people.

Now, if you keep it to part time this is where it ends. When people really get sucked in is when they decide they can quit that bullshit day job they hate and do fine serving 4 nights a week ( since they aren't paying taxes)

Once full time, they only hang out with industry people becuse of the hours, and devolve into the industries excessive weeknight drinking culture.

It's fun at first, but tons of servers get caught in this cash at close, party every night culture. You can only live like that for so long before it ruins you.

Again, not everyone falls into this, but it happens, and it's easier than you might think.

Thanks for the input, I think I should be okay though. I dont like to drink as it is and I have no friends. So it should all workout!

this is all true. most mid to upscale restaurants will be a cesspool of degeneracy, to one degree or another. you will have servers who are working their way through school, or work part time for side income, and are normal - but you will have many who are career servers.

the nature of the job is high stress, many people in the industry will turn to drugs and alcohol to cope. restaurants are extremely high turnover and don't drug test, so it's normal to see people using outside work and on the job. speaking of drugs, there will always be a line cook, dishwasher or busboy who will have coke, pills, etc. there will always be attractive girls working there who party after work, who will probably fuck you if you put in a little effort and stay out until 5am partying.

the flip side is that you can make much more in a restaurant without a degree, than you could anywhere else (unless you have trade skills). not only that, but you CAN make connections through restaurants, although it's rare. i worked for the past few years waiting tables, got myself enrolled in college, majoring in finance. i was offered an internship by a guy i waited on - walked into the office of a wealth management firm not knowing what to expect, walked out with a $25/hr internship. that opportunity would never have presented itself if i was one of the typical hungover party people; anyone successful can tell immediately who has their shit together, and who doesn't.

Every once in a great while I can sit back and marvel at the brilliance of anonymity. No names, no credentials, but it is clear that we have some real niggas here

you can't get a job as a waiter unless you're at least in your 20s

I work at a Thai restaurant and make around $30 an hour and I get two huge shift meals that I bring home and eat for the next couple days .

If you are good looking and personable it is the best job you can get as a student.
I have saved 10k this year. What should I do with it?

This guy must be serving at sizzlers and Applebee's. Any 5 star restaurant doesn't have druggies working front.

I just applied at a local country club. They are open 10am to 8pm, and its on a gold course and shit so I feel like if im good i can make good money

work as a cam-whore, user.
invest a few hundred bucks in a couple of dildos and a decent webcam, then just stream yourself playing with your butthole until you get some old geezers to bank your college classes and send you money (gifts)

lol

bump

OP,OP,OP

Listen, i come from a complete Restaurant family! I know degen life but....

Grand Mother>Waitress for 30+yrs
Mother>Waitress/Bartender 17-20yrs
Aunt>Waitress 25+yrs
Older Sister>Waitress 10+yrs ongoing with 2 kid's
^Brother In-law>Waitress 5-6yrs ongoing
Younger Sister>Bartender/Waitress 2+yrs ongoing but still in school
ME>Cook 3+yrs but im getting out asap

Just take what everybody said into great consideration about getting sucked in to the restaurant game.

It is a great income for a collage job, second job, or uneducated no aspiration job. But take it as a TEMP job and only as one.

Btw Degenerate trying to make thing's happen and break my family's tradition ;) kek

>i am good with money since I have been on Veeky Forums for a while now

Why do you recomend looking at it as a temporary job?

Is it better to work as a full time server while studying and working to become a bartender or is it better to work part time server? Being a bartender is the goal, I want to do that to make quite a bit of money for the next few years so I can atleast be happy and can take care of myself. Should I start at an O'charleys joint? I have an interview on monday, they will probably ask if i wana do part time or full time but again its a serving position and I have never done it before and im 22. I want to bartend in the next year though, this is a start right?

Ask the richest cunt in your area if you can work for them for free if they will teach you everything they know.