Did I fall for the meme? I've had a Vostok for around a month...

Did I fall for the meme? I've had a Vostok for around a month, I left the shower yesterday and it has been like this since. The ticking goes faster than usual.

Military watch lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/142001141124?euid=2ab73cb161ff4998a81dcc27b1940f5e&bu=44136796963&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
forums.watchuseek.com/f10/anybody-here-test-water-resistence-limits-their-vostok-komandirskie-watches-525749.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

showers are never good ideas unless its a diving watch - the steam gets in really easily

it IS a diving watch my man

Diving watches are theoretically waterproof to their stated depth. However, taking yours into hot water such as a bath, shower, hot tub etc. is always a bad idea, since they are not built to block out water at that temperature.

that's so stupid. a 10 dollar casio never gave me a problem in years.

It's like a car. You need to maintain it or it will break. Assuming your watch is secondhand, you should have had it checked for still being waterproof.

In my Slavland only kids wearing this watches - usually it's a gift from their grandpas. Are they popular among European countries and US of A?

first hand. how am I supposed to maintain a watch? wtf

>komandirskie
>diving watch
haha, no

Then it's just a shit watch.

still, water resistant. and it gets ruined after showering lmao

in theory it's the best mechanical watch you can get for the price

Read up on what water resistance ratings mean, and consider that the vostoks aren't even officially rated.

Should've gotten an Amphibia, or even better, something like a Seiko. What do you expect when you buy the cheapest mech watch available?

How water resistant is it supposed to be?

It seriously sounds like you just wrecked your own watch through sheer stupidity.

ive had plenty of watches, showered with them without a problem. if it is water resistant this should not happen

Alright, since you don't want to look it up yourself, here's what the ISO rating 30m says.
>Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing.
Vostok claims 20m water resistance. This is entirely on you.

Apparently your watch isn't water resistant.
Take it back and see if you can get it exchanged for one that is.

It is. Or it is advertised as such.

ebay.co.uk/itm/142001141124?euid=2ab73cb161ff4998a81dcc27b1940f5e&bu=44136796963&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Exact same model.

I obviously take the seller's word since the instructions are in fucking Russian and I don't understand anything.

OP is an idiot.

How? Check the link I've put, am I supposed to guess what the Russian instructions say?

I'm this guy and as Slav I can say - specification on Russian, Ukranian or other Eastern Slav products mean jack fucking shit. They could market it like it was made by bears and get away with it. It's like buying Lada car with anticorrosive coating and then after few months of usage you wondering why the fuck is rust everywhere.

I will translate too you everything you want to know about Slav products - when it is stated the watch is water resistant, it means MAYBE it's water resistant. You can try if it is, but you've already bought it! Удaчи!

See You didn't look at what the water resistance ratings meant, you did something you weren't supposed to do with your watch, and now you're surprised that it doesn't work after subjecting your watch to something it's not designed to handle?
Come on now.

All you can do now is look on the bright side:
Life is a learning process. And you just got $40 worth of education today.

This is like complaining your oven glove got burned sticking it in a bonfire because it's 'heat resistant'. Why in the fuck would you wear a watch in the shower anyway??

dude how am I supposed to know if EVERYTHING IS IN RUSSIAN?

Read this: If this guy can find this information in English why couldn't you? Trying to shift the blame onto your ignorance here isn't going to help you.

He has just found something, where does it say that that applies to my specific model?

You google whatever model of watch you have and find out what the water resistance rating is, which is bound to be out there somewhere in English. Then you read about water resistance ratings are and find out how misleading it all is. Also as someone mentioned previously, water resistance doesn't mean being bombarded with hot pressurised water and steam, so taking it in the shower tends not to be an amazing idea.

Is no one hear going to talk about how disgusting it is to shower with a watch on? Jesus Christ

tell me about it. no one really knows.

forums.watchuseek.com/f10/anybody-here-test-water-resistence-limits-their-vostok-komandirskie-watches-525749.html

We're not even there yet.
That's how epic this thread already is.

ONCE AGAIN, look at the ISO rating stamped on the back of the watch and see what it means.
It's all over the Internet. Here's just one source:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

A "water resistant watch" rating is also much different than a "dive watch" rating.

For water resistant watches, 30m is the lowest standard. It means it is guaranteed resistant to splashes and rain. It is NOT guaranteed resistant to things like swimming, diving, or in OP's case SHOWERING WITH IT ON.

So in effect, OP just voided his watch's warranty through misuse.

what a fucking idiot

if you can't read and understand Russian you're a pleb and fashion probably isn't for you.

The problem with russian military watches is that Russia doesn't give two shits about their individual soldiers. Why would they give even a single shit about their watches?

reading too many russophobic memes or just paid kiev shil?

It's not that. Vostok makes quality things, and if you know what you're looking at, they really were being straightforward about what the watch was. It's just that OP and lots of people here don't know what the terminology really means.

So the lame excuses of
>"oh it's Slavshit"
Or
>"Russian things are just shitty"
does not apply here.

Here's a stock pic of the back of the watch model OP has. You'll notice the Russian crest, on top the Russian word for "automatic" (aka mechanically self-winding) and on the bottom the word for "Waterproof".
That last word is VERY important, because it DOES NOT mean what you think it means.

If a mechanical watch is not "waterproof", it means that the case does not seal fully. I have an old WWII Bulova mechanical watch that is not waterproof. If I do not take it off when doing things like washing my hands or going to the car in the rain, water WILL get into the case, cause problems and potentially wreck the movement. You have to exercise due care in any kind of wet environment with these watches, because they can and will get ruined by water.

The next step up from that is "waterproof." It has a case that seals fully, but the case does not have things like O-rings or gaskets to reinforce it against water intrusion under pressure. Just the tolerances of the metal and glass fittings is all that keeps the mechanism inside dry. Water can still get in to wreck the watch if the water is under pressure (like in a shower or at depth if you're diving with it), or if the watch is heated or cooled so that it expands or contracts the metal enough to affect the sealing properties of the case.

The final step up from "waterproof" is "water resistant" with a depth or pressure rating. These watches do have o-ring gaskets in them around the glass and case back and can be expected to survive down to their pressure rating.

Diver here, you're full of shit. Dive watches are meant to be water tight - this also takes humidity into consideration.

Dive watches should be at LEAST 200m water resistant. Hell, my old Seiko was "50m water resistant" but still let water in when I went swimming in it. What you want in a diver are:
screwdown caseback
screwdown crown
at least 200m water resistant
preferably COSC or ISO certification - will say "certified chronometer," "ISO #", or "Diver's" on the face (see Omega Seamaster, Certina DS Action Diver, Seiko SKX007, etc)

You either didn't have the back screwed on tight enough of the crown screwed down enough
Water kills watches. Unscrew the crown and leave it on a hotplate or something, either take it to a watch repair shop or adjust the speed of it your self(mechanical watches don't run exactly anyway)

Would it be disrespectful for me as an American to wear this

If you're an American you shouldn't touch communist trash

Shut up

obviously not you idiot. they were our ally during the war.

more Amero-Soviet inspo

as a certified slav I can tell you that modern vostoks have shit quality, don't fall for the meme. vintage russian watches are much better value, especially if they're from before the 1980s
if you want a new cheap mechanical buy a chinese ones - seagulls are actually better than modern vostoks

>democracy
fucking lmao

I'm from a neighboring country and know enough to not ever to trust Russia. Russians, yes, but not Russia. Lighten up.

Don't lecture me about watches, I've been into watches for years and I know more than is healthy. Russian quality is a fucking joke. I've had enough dealings with that shit.

> will say "certified chronometer"

"Certified chronometer" has nothing to do with water resistance, it's just an independent cerfiticate that requires certain accuracy from mechanical movement. Some brands decide to pay them, some not and are not "certified" regardless of meeting the criteria.