9/11 killed bright clothing

that was out of style way before 9/11 though. your meme doesn't work

Just wanted to share this original observation I've made.

People used to wear colorful stuff when the times were still good.

With the paranoia over terrorism and surveillance came a need to camoflague oneself. To draw less attention.

It really took hold around the mid-late 2000s.

Fashion became darker, greyer, muted, earthy. Pastel at best.

This kind of look was extremely common late 2000s. Even for teenagers.

That marone red colour was really popular, and still is.

>With the paranoia over terrorism and surveillance came a need to camoflague oneself. To draw less attention.

meh. I attribute it to larger shifts in technology. think of apple alone...jobs in his black sweater, the clean minimal lines of the iphone and ipod revolution. its that aesthetic that evolves that makes bright colors and fits like OP look goofy and childish. with the advent of the millenium people began to think sleek, futuristic, and all that

The emos of the mid 2000s (with heavy goth influence) were one of the last real subcultures to wear egregious clothing.

They wore dark mixed with bright (e.g. pale foundation, shiny metallic accessories)

It's sad that they're gone

After emos came scene, who mixed very quickly with hipster, and hipster has mixed with everything onwards - feminists, SJWs, numales. Nobody likes these people except themselves.

Subcultures are pretty much all dead now.

The End.

>With the paranoia over terrorism and surveillance came a need to camoflague oneself. To draw less attention.

that's your interpretation? how would that possibly work?

What about the modern fuccboi and basic bitches? Weebs still exist too

when technology allowed us to show much more colors in higher quality pictures we got weary of bright colors, now people tend to focus on other aesthetic appeal in our clothing.

and also bimbos

i wouldn't describe those as subcultures so much ha contemporary archetypes

>with the advent of the millenium people began to think sleek, futuristic, and all that

This didn't really happen though. Arguably.

People were legitimately expecting flying cars, holographic screens, personal holographic cuties to wake you up like in Minority Report or The Fifth Element.

None of that happened. Smart people realize we are in a big slump right now, things are not looking good. Governments are corrupt, Jews are in power, Western countries are being flooded with nonWhites, the welfare state expands.

Maybe I am too /pol/ for you to understand but there is massive fraud going on right now on so many different levels in society. When you want to conceal things you don't want to wear colourful clothing.

I google images'd "basic bitches" and they are exactly the kind of muted earthy that I was talking about.

I don't know about "fuccboi" the real meaning has always eluded me, it seems to have to do with nigger culture which I am not familiar with.

>Weeb

They're probably weeb because Western culture sucks right now, as young people we have been abandoned

well with all the hate going on in the world, why you´d wanna dress up bright? just so that it can be used against you?

i blame society for being petty, hateful, losers. That´s the real reason why we cant have fun things anymore like in the 90s, all the haters and online edgelords get way too much attention and that depresses people. they dont wanna try or innovate anymore coz theres always gonna be people hating.

Sad clothing is in coz it reflects how we really feel about the world, , left wing racists/terrorists, politics, trends etc

Pretty good points there

Especially about how the internet attracts haters

You can be hateful when anonymous

Something else is social anxiety - I think it exists in 2017 at a level never seen before. People will be more reserved when they are scared something embarrassing they do or say can be recorded, ending up on YouTube as a prank with 5 million hits or whatever.

Yeah but the whole "hipster" thing works against that. I think it's more like said.
Colorful clothing will always have it's niche. But i belive we got much better at it by contrasting bright colour with more muted tones.
Mixing multiple bright colored patterns is just less aesthetically pleasing than colorblocking or minimalism.

post some bright inspire

coming back full force in 2020, by teens rejecting the 'boring millenials'

Trumpwave maybe. If it catches on

okay there it is. Let's derail faggot.

>It's sad that they're gone

They still exist, and no it wouldn't be sad if they were gone

sAdRaWr Dx

>Maybe I am too /pol/ for you to understand
WOO lad you got me fuckin good m8 8/10 good run

emo gets a bad rap bc unlike previous subcultures, it came under the hammer of digital photography and mass documentation on social media making it look really bad, but in reality no worse than other subcultures

streetwear is a subculture imo

Nah that's hypebeast

I miss the Ergo Proxy era

Everything after emo has been completely commercialized, its sad

what are these pants called?

9/11 killed the West honestly.

It's all been downhill from there.

emo girls make my dik diamonds (hot emo girls not the fatties and uggos)

i live in a big city and every once in a while i still see someone done up like this.

it's really weird, like looking through a wrinkle in time.

The bright colors had already left mainstream fashion by the late 90s. 1996-1997 was probably the last year in the 90s where people wore bright yellows and lime greens anf shit like that. And plus hair and clothing became simplified that time as compared to the 80s leftover styles which had began to really die out by 96. 1998/1999 unless you were a raver or some shit, fashion for the average person became plain, there was still color but they became normal hues and not very bright. That yuppie(but not) look was in, think about how the average person into trip-hop looked, leather jackets, regular blue jeans and maybe a grey/black shirt or non
bright color under it.

Watch a movie like Go, Chasing Amy or something to see this.

We've been down in the mire eversince

They look like heroin addicts in this picture.

I looked around in lecrure today, this is still the case. Didn't see much besides black/green/blue/brown.

I think bright colors also got a bad association because, at least in the US, in the earlier 2000s bright colors were the domain of tube dresses and track suits. A lot of mall brands, like American Eagle and Abercrombie, to this day mostly use neutral or muted colors, making most kids outside the city think fashionable= preppy or bohemian. The only time neons really got a revival was during the Jersey Shore era.

Global rates for depression and anxiety have also been increasing yearly since the late 90's. Does it surprise us that most of society dresses in monochrome colors when most young people are less healthy mentally than any other generation to date. Mental illness is going to be the biggest killer in the years to come, why do you think pharmaceutical companies are the biggest players right now, influencing politics and slowly poisoning the general population.

Sorry to resurrect your conspiracy thread but i didnt want to make a new one

>WHERE TO COP COLORFUL 90s SHIRTS?

Like the ones Mahershala Ali wears in Moonlight

thxx

or maybe you've internalized so much questionable information from a satirical internet board that you believe that you can never be understood by "normies". and that isolates you and makes you think that your half-assed theory actually holds much weight in an actual conversation

itt: a lack of perspective
Things are, on the whole, better than they've ever been and are likely to continue improving, with a few speed bumps along the way.
Stay away from people trying to manipulate you with masturbatory pessimism.
And there's no particular reason why colors have become more muted in our culture, that's just your brain doing what it does and finding patterns where there are none.

>contrasting bright colour with more muted tones.
>Mixing multiple bright colored patterns is just less aesthetically pleasing than colorblocking or minimalism.
This.

what about the edgy /pol/ subculture?

dressing like a chav is not a subculture, and calling it 'streetwear' does not make it any different to how kids on benefits have dressed for the past 20+ years

they dont leave the house

>Things are, on the whole, better than they've ever been and are likely to continue improving, with a few speed bumps along the way
Are you insane?

crime rates are down, living standards are up, unemployment rates are low and getting lower, how in anyway is it worse?

so is there a name for this type of pants or what

Nice positionality ya got there, user.

you from denmark or something because that's definitely not true in the US and a number of europeans countries (at least in the recent scale, if you're talking about compared to the 19thc or something then sure whatever)

Check the statistics consensus, cuck.
Unless you're a paranoid infowarrior who thinks that anything that disagrees with your poorly supported opinion is a conspiracy. In that case, you can gtfo to your hugbox.

more convincing:
look at music and pop culture futurism pre-911

lots of hopeful and exciting imagery, upbeat positive and elevated experiences.

i want to see the world of president al gore sans wtc fall :(

commonly called "parachute pants"
AKA "hammer pants"
AKA "zubaz pants"
pre-cursor to today's drop-crotch
(I also notice that we use more literal names for clothing now.)

>smart people realize we are in a big slump
>the typical trump voter is a high school dropout

hmmmmmmm

full rick to flex on our computer

really makes you dink

This movie was supposed to be set in 1998 tho. And other than Hermione's vest, it looks pretty period accurate imo

Things are really really bad user

Think: 20% unemployment within the next decade

emo is back, check out bala club and gravity boys

T H R I F T
H
R
I
F
T

This thread is actually interesting, why didnt it get more attention?

Of course the "comfycore" Asians-in-sweatpants thread has 100 replies like we haven't seen that thread and its pics 1000 times in the past few years

You mean its sad that they still exist

If you wore happy pants in 1996 you would be bashed.

There were oversized coloured jeans (crisscross?) That you couldmwear upon about 1998, by only for dudes into rollerblading or ice-skating. Or your be bashed.

This thread was made by stupid kids under 30.

What killed this type of pants in NYC is when they became known as "Joey Buttafuoco Pants." They disappeared practically overnight.

thanks allah

you're retarded
unemployment in the us peaked in the early 2010s and even though it's dropping it's still pretty high. many european and south american countries have insane unemployment rates right now
the 00s were a decade of severe warfare and paranoia. the 10s already have insane racial turmoil and warfare all over the world
even though some stats are actually better, our outlook is definitely more pessimistic than it was in the 90s

I don't know if I agree completely with OP's thesis, but there's definitely been a shift towards more neutral, desaturated colors in the recent decades or so

>racial turmoil and warfare all over the world

hmm

True. What people call 90's these days kinda more applies to late 80s and EARLY 90s.
There should be a word for that late 80's early 90's vibe.
Neighties?

less death =/= less warfare
modern warfare is more precise even though more assymetric, therefore less casualties

I agree with outlook being much more pessimistic, but I blame that on alarmist news and media, and the availability of information online making more people aware of what they otherwise would have been oblivious too.

Philosophymajorposting is the cancer killing Veeky Forums in 2017

he is right tho

Oldfag here.

Around 9/11 the big styles were:

>Sport uniforms on men (basketball jerseys, football jerseys on fat guys)
>Fitted caps with bi-color panels and flat bills
>XXXXL T-shirts
>Extra baggy pants (khakis on skaters, jeans on wiggers)
>Striped sweaters
>Bead necklaces, metal or wooden
>Silver chain necklaces
>Spiked hair/pillowhead crew cut
>Button down plaid
>Soul patches
>Brimmed wool toques
>Columbia jackets
>Logo parody t shirts
>Backwards fitted caps
>Wraparound shades
>Gas pump shirts
>3/4 length shorts
>Shirts over shirts

In general everything was oversized but shit like neon had flown the coop. Maybe "skaters" wore bright colored t shirts but that's about it.

AMA

>>gas pump shirts
?

The downfall of civilisation was when the Geo Tracker changed in 1998 from the boxy, capable, rugged 1st generation frame (like found in the 1992 Geo Tracker, the official car of Veeky Forums), to the plastic, oversized mall crawler that was the 2001 Chevy Tracker, the official car of societal degeneracy.

It wasn't even offered in 4x4 after 2002...

are you guys forgetting that industrial music and dressing like you were in the matrix was actually a mainstream thing in the 90s?

I remember my skater-phase. Brightly colored shirts and baggy raw denim. Fuck me. One day my grandma told me that "you don't always have to stand out with bright colors". I just laughed at her back then.

tl;dr : listen to grandma kids.

This photo breaks my heart. Painful to look at.

MAKE THE GEO TRACKER GREAT AGAIN

This or bowling shirts was what you wore bro

Nah they still think Mine inch nails was totally edgy back then and not on MTV with korn or Rammstein

yeah but what if I want to dress like a terrorist

Not really. Trenchcoats were the Fedora before fedoras and "Neo" ray bans were for edgelords who did XTC and spent all night in the cyber cafe playing counter strike and used to brag about hacking into the school computers. Matrix core may have been a thing but it was never cool

bright colours are coming back lowkey

just look at ozweego, paint splashed jeans, rappers and feminists are dying their hair bright colours, with bright coloured jeans and jackets... normies mostly stay away from it and that's a good thing

Hotdog

right but we know what fedoras are now. it's a mainstream look that most people have a picture of. not saying that the trenchcoat goth thing was ever cool but it was a bigger thing than it is now.

keked hard

lol fuck up u dirty homo XD

yeah late 90s early 2000s . People then were getting ready for the future, and waht did we get in the end

bringing bright colors back

>assymetric