Dear Veeky Forums

Dear Veeky Forums

How do I stay fashionable without losing my individuality and becoming a faggy follower of trends? Are there any timeless looks that aren't too boring?

thank you

just b urself

The end ideal of being "fashionable" is knowing what works and what doesn't and dressing with what appeals to YOU, NOT what's in trend.

Do whatever u want and look good while doing it

Then Why are there so many fuccbois with bombers round sunglasses street goth all looking kinda samey thinking they are the hottest shit because they are on the edge of latest street wear trends?

There is such a thing as timeless style but there will always be trendy faggots who call you basic and boring for not dressing like they do.
If you think you look good than you probably do to most people.

...said the autist, after asking Veeky Forums how he should dress to finally be cool

i just noticed that guy wearing a hair net

also did they just rob the dr martens dealer or what

The thing a lot of people don't understand- at least in my opinion (after working in the fashion industry for 4 years) is that it wearing things that are trendy doesn't equal following trends.

It really comes down to how you carry yourself and coupled with that is the motivation you have for any given outfit. If you truly feel that a certain style compliments your personality or
even personifies you then the motivation is pure.

That's really what fashion is all about. The difference between people who look good wearing trendy shit and hype beasts is the fact that the people who can "rock it" are the people
who would be wearing it regardless of trends because they like it and feel it's an accurate depiction of who they are or quite simply just legitimately like the aesthetic appeal of any given style.

People, especially on this board, place too much importance on what other people think (see WAYWT threads). And before anyone tries to argue against this by claiming that that isn't the sole purpose of those threads (I never said it was) it is an undeniable truth that a good portion of posters use WAYWT as self-validation- this is uncool.

You shouldn't need to be validated when you wear what you like, you should be wearing it because you like it. Fuck trends, fuck hype, wear what you want and disregard everything.

Obviously beginners won't be able to just throw together random articles of clothing they like and look good because there is some objectivity to how good certain things look ie silhouettes etc but that's a different topic and I don't feel it's worthwhile to go into it.

Please excuse any grammatical errors, I'm pretty wasted right now but I genuinely mean what I have written.

when did I ask Veeky Forums what to dress to be cool? you seem triggered

keyword *thinking*

shit *posting*

well you obviously can't think for yourself so

What is a timeless style?

tfw ive completely and utterly lost interest in following any sort of trend at all

working on your own style is so much more fun

>the people who can "rock it" are the people who would be wearing it regardless of trends because they like it and feel it's an accurate depiction of who they are

you can't honestly tell me that anyone would have worn a ralph lauren cap regardless of trends just because they felt like it priosr to 2015. Most things are informed by trends. It's really sad if you confront these hipsters with the stuff they followed like 3 years ago. They all pretend that they were too young to have good taste back then or that they only were wearing deep v-necks ironcally

>asking for a different point of view equals the inability to form own opinions.

why don't you even communicate with other humans if you see every question as a weakness? Ah never mind. You are just a retard I honestly don't care what you *think*

>if you confront these hipsters

You have never done this

You don't know me boyo

Yeah, I was aiming more at things like statement pieces and different types of clothing styles not particular brands. That's a whole other beast which is seriously damaging the fashion industry.
Obviously not the people making money but rather the people who actually give a shit.

I don't know. I just feel that a man who was well dressed in the 50s wouldn't be considered Veeky Forums today regardless of his objective aesthetic appeal.

I think that's kind of a given when looking at such large time gaps.
Fashion is fashion and at its core will always be influenced by society because of the nature of fashion.
I definitely could have worded my original post better.

The 50s was just a crass example. Even when you look at what was considered to be fashionable only 5 years ago you would probably cringe. You are kinda reinforcing my viewpoint that fashion is just a vapid mimicking of popularity

I won't lie and tell you that it isn't because it mostly is. At the same time though, you're arguing things that are pretty much subjective.

Sure, the average human will wear trendy stuff, they'll follow whatever the new style is but that's just the average person, the type that doesn't actually care about fashion as an art form (I legitimately believe it to be so).

Your main point, not that it was "wrong" in any way, is that something that was "considered cool" isn't considered cool anymore. But the whole point is that you shouldn't give a fuck what people think.
Obviously some people take this to extremes and just end up looking ridiculous as there are limits to everything.

I've seen plenty of people at fashion shows rocking old-school shit that actually looks interesting, I wouldn't imagine the average joe on the street would line up to buy the ensemble but that's not why these people are wearing it.

I think the best thing to look at when examining this is what people wear when they're in an environment built for that specific type of expression. People will express themselves however they feel like regardless of what people think. This, in turn, can easily be translated into everyday outfits with some obvious limitations as some things you see during fashion events are ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

An example, albeit a shitty one could be that Danny boy likes sell his paintings, he primarily does it to garner attention and become famous ,he paints what he thinks people will like.
A true artist would paint what he wants to and what he feels needs to be painted due to its perceived importance at the time of creation.

Im still drunk as fuck and it's nearly 5 am so I don't know how coherent my thoughts are but I'm trying to communicate as best I can.

You did pretty good man. not the guy you were talking w but I agree