What happened to sub-fashions/cultures in America? Like, why aren't there any new ones...

What happened to sub-fashions/cultures in America? Like, why aren't there any new ones? I don't think I've seen a new subfashion since the scene and emo days. Is there some reason kids don't want to express themselves anymore? Is it because everything is commercialized? I can't be the only one who feels nostalgic about this shit.
(Stupid make up tumblr subfashions don't count fyi)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_(subculture)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Tumblr, Twitter and Instagram.

List one new subculture that isn't made up shit like "pastel goth"

the same thing is happening in japan where all the alternative fashions are replaced with "normal" fashion, almost exclusively Uniqlo. isn't this what most people want? normalization of dress and conformity? i have a separate wardrobe of what i consider "normal" clothes and alternative fashion clothes(lolita), but I wear almost exclusively my normal wardrobe because Im a college student and want to fit in and just do my studies.

>that isn't made up shit

Surely I can't list anything since you will default to this.

Also, I think minorities are the ones that killed it. They're obsessed with "gangsta rap" shit. They don't philosophies and digest the culture they live in, so they're hostile against teenaged angst. Thus, there is more bullying and teens feel less comfortable in expressing themselves. If you look at twitter and Instagram most of the cancerous new trends are influenced by PoC. Kids aren't starting their own bands anymore and aren't generating performable music. There are a lot more ethnic minorities now then there were back in the day, and they've had a devastating effect on us culturally.
Their cultures are generally macho and anti intellectual. Most young people are very materialistic and empty headed.

I'm talking about the shit that has a wiki article and a sufficient amount of followers, not just something people dress up as to post pics on tumblr.

>They're [the minorities] obsessed with "gangsta rap" shit.

This is so inane, good lord.
And yet your post managed to go even further into silliness.

not him but you are retarded. go on the Internet once in awhile

Anyone who's lived in a diverse city or who went to a minority majority school knows what I'm talking about.

>these are the things white people think in their heads but won't say outloud.
Christ this is so cringeworthy. Go outside, man.

I do go outside, this is my general experience with mud people. They're generally just boring and vapid. They all have, like, the same exact personality.

When everybody is an individual nobody is

>What happened to sub-fashions/cultures in America?
>(Stupid make up tumblr subfashions don't count fyi)

lol stupid flyover state poster

Most of the kids I see these days dress the same. People are saying there's a big counter culture but I just don't see it. Most young people like Kim K and Coonyay West.

>you can't make this up

this guy is the only logical response to OP

I live in a big city and it's pretty diverse. The diversity is what I think is the problem.

I live in Paris. I know about the whole rhetoric. Yes, there is bullying. Yes white kids can get bullied in poor neighbourhoods.

The fact is everything you describe has nothing to do with the matter at hand - sub-fashions being fewer than in the past.

The problem here is that you are not saying that "white kids can get bullied in poor neighbourhoods".
You are actively writing a work of fiction, spouting the most inane, absurd and ludicrous things to somehow justify your delusion.

Or maybe you're just "trolling".

this, this is literally me

What I'm talking about is the fact that minority culture has taken over and become the new mainstream. If white kids were the ones in charge of shaping the culture, it would be very different. We would have lots of new and uneiqu subcultures and music instead of the stupid black people twitter memes
white kids=interesting subcultures
mud kids=no subcultures and anti-individualistic environment

subcultures and other fashion microcosms still exist but are few and far between

because instagram and tumblr exist its very easy for culture vultures to hop from scene to scene without actually partaking in anything

>interesting subcultures
>white people
>culture
kek

just because your a racist doesn't mean whites can do anything

>You are actively writing a work of fiction, spouting the most inane, absurd and ludicrous things to somehow justify your delusion.

Now see this thread going down the pooper with people fuelling that /pol/ crossposter
sage goes in the options field

>all options
>Anonymous
hmmm

hes right tho

i cant recall a single impactful subculture from the last five decades that hasnt been started by whites

maybe streetwear and its 20XX's resurgence + the (((art hoe))) movement aka white people art made trendy again and reclaimed by annoying instagram lightskin girls

nvmnd read wrong, my apologies

name some

Hype beasts are relatively new.

Name one subculture in the US started by mud people that's not gangsta based ogga booga where da base at shit. Rap music has been a cancerous subculture that's been infecting the youth for years. Meanwhile, things like emo, scene, goth, ect were interesting and unique..

thought you referring to my boy Aziz at first

>Meanwhile, things like emo, scene, goth, ect were interesting and unique.

those arnt even true subcultures

All fine literature, classical music, theatre, cinema and fashion has come from Europe or been developed in Europe from something else, what is Africa doing? What culture does Africa have? Despotism, gang rape, murder.

In Europe you have 225 languages spoken in fifty sovereign states, who the fuck do you think you are to talk about me and my people like this?
The people that developed computer science and the internet you're using to talk about white people where white, thousands of years there were people inhabiting Africa, not a road nor church built until the Dutch arrived.
How dare you.

And in those fifty sovereign states there are all unique cultures spanning thousands of years back in to the past, a few kilometres away from one another, different food, different fashion, tradition, political opinions.
You had nothing before us and what we introduced to you, the only reason you aren't in chains now is because we don't want it, keep prodding the sleeping giant you insect.

I think the popularisation of the internet changed the game when it comes to subcultures. Kids nowadays get their fashion from the internet instead of from eachother, and there is less incentive to belong in an IRL group with similar ideals and style, so the only subcultures we see are shallow ones focused on aesthetic and hard to find outside instagram or tumblr
a sadboy doesn't actually need to know any other sadboys IRL, he just does "aesthetic" photos on instagram and listens to yung lean, that's all it takes

who tf aziz

In America dummy. nice insecure /pol/ rant though. 3.2/10

What about crust punk and neofolk? Both are not "new" but still exist and don't seem to be dying down anytime soon. Both have their specific music and other cultural goods, their specific practices and their specific fashions and both exist in real life more then on the internet.

Eh. We're probably just in a lull. It happens. Look at the fifties.

There's hipsters right now, and orange county trash is still going strong. NY Bohemians are probably having a resurgence. I wouldn't know.

Beyond that, though, we may just be in a conservative period. If the leftists can learn to be more convincing or enjoyable to be around in the next ten years we might have a new sixties. If not, whatever. We'll have to wait for the next major war/social depression/drug craze cycle to kick it off.

You have to think about why these trends come about, user. Emo/scene was the end of a long string of movements that dovetailed into eachother nicely. The world right now is also so pluralistic that there is nothing specific to react to. Thus, the base state of conservatism reigns.

The feels
>The days of MyYearbook
>Could easily find kids from my school and message them without all the bullshit FB makes you go through
>Made a fake account using pictures of cute emo boy
>Get messages from girls in my school (and girls in general)
>Play along and then troll them by pretending to be in the Ku Klux Klan
>Some of them were actually okay with it
I also pretended to have molested my little brother. Good times, good times.
The best part...
>Used fake account to contact high school bully
>Start an online romance with her
>Break up with her with claims she's too fat/ugly
>mfw she deleted the picture I called her fat in

Subcultures are artificial. Hippies were created by the CIA.
It's possible that the engineers are now busy elsewhere or they believe they have engineered society enough to where they don't really need to do more at the moment.
Or possibly it's that with increased college participation their focus is just slipping what they want us to think into academia.

Would you happen to have paranoid schizophrenia?

Goth certainly is. Emo arguably is too.

Where do you think the whites come from in America?
I don't go to /pol/ I'm not saying we're superior I'm sick of people fucking saying we have no culture, I'm English we have a fucking culture.

Good God...
>I think minorities are the ones that killed it. They're obsessed with "gangsta rap" shit.

Reality: Gangsta rap is more or less dead. Rappers wear skinny jeans and dress like ASAP and Kanye. There

You sound like a clueless, overprotective Boomer parent... in the 90s.

Where literally does your perception of the world even come from? Do you actually not go outside?

>There are a lot more ethnic minorities now then there were back in the day, and they've had a devastating effect on us culturally.

What the actual fuck? You realize Emo was only like 15 years ago m8? I can tell you racial demographics in the US have changed only slightly between now and fucking 2002. We're not comparing now to 1950 or something...

>most of the cancerous new trends are influenced by PoC
So why don't white just do something better and be influential themselves--I mean the white race is the master race and superior...right? Why can't the high IQ, philosophical, creative amazing whites just outdo "nogs" and shit?

w o k e
o
k
e

THIS

it's not niggers, it's social media and the atmosphere of constant publicity of each and every move you make, the obvious divison of culture into the normals and the outsiders and the fear of being different that comes from it, which are at the core of cultural centralization among young people.

>find old school mates on FB
>pretend to be gay and trap
>have sex with said mates
>make sure to get picks of him pounding my asshole and his ballsack roughly hitting against mine
>swallow his hot cum
>post the pics on his wall
>expose him
>mfw I was only pretending to be gay
normies never saw it coming

i know

This is true, we're basically back in the 50s.
Which is exciting, soon there might a new tiki culture equivalent and then a new dada or beatnik movement equivalent. Hopefully the next hippie revolution equivalent will do away with all the scientism successfully.

Best post in thread.

Also, I believe that hipsters are still the most dominant subculture,sure their fashions have changed, but the basic idea is the same.

If you go out in any 50k+ town, the only real subculture you can find are the hipsters. (try finding a sadboys bar)

Also people on Veeky Forums and on internet in general are so obsessed with finding the next big thing, that they overinflate every little stupid trend like sadboys, palewave, slavcore etc.

Also niggers will always have their gangsta streetwear kim k shit, and some whites will wear it too, it was always like that, so telling that minorities are changing todays fashion is stupid.

>English culture
>Culture
Maybe a couple centuries ago. Boiled meat and blood pudding is quite the cuisine. Mwuah

Also I'm just taking the piss friend. Don't take this board too seriously it messes with people's heads.

i'm a berniefag liberal

but this is the reason

>tfw already 20
>by the time a new, cool subculture comes along i will be too old to participate

0/10 terrible b8

>"Whales"
I'm just sick of the "white people have no culture" thing people say it here too, it's just not true.

It's just a meme, obviously it's not true. I wouldn't take it too far, friend.

Also I think the reason for that dish is because of WWII. Things were rough.

Thanks

>4 fingers around handle
REEEEEE

Also why the ironic mug?

The hippies thing is legit, look into it. All of the major players that started it were kids of high ranking military and intelligence officers.

The only subcultures that might be legit are the ones that are short-lived, isolated and never receive media attention.

>Anti intellectual
Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G., Kanye, etc...
This argument is so pretentious it's unbelievable.
Gangsta rap died in 2005 with College dropout.

>any of these
>intellectual
baka senpai kanye dropping sum mad truths on his new LP, shits woke af

the nogs embarass themselves daily well good enough top kek

This kind of thing will radicalise white people mark my words, two years ago my brother was a normal guy now he's an angry racist.

What are you talking about? You are saying minorities are the mainstream?????? A MINORITY CAN'T BE MAINSTREAM THEREFORE THEY ARE MINORITIES!!!!!!
There are so many variations of "minority" it isn't just "NIGGAZZZ". There are Asians on the west coast, Slavs, litterally every race imaginable is in America and not to mention there is a big difference between a higher upper class black person who lives in LA and someone who lives on the ghettos of New York.
>TLtR; you're using "minorities" as a umbrella term to suit your image made up by your own ignorance

yeah so can we just l+r+a+start this thread

honestly, this.

This post proves that you're a moron who has no idea of how any of this works. Fun fact: "scene" didn't have a wiki article or much information about it outside of MySpace when it was actually relevant either.

Who cares? Most subcultures have been uninteresting as fuck. Hippies, hipsters, emos, preppy: they all fucking suck. Good fashion always comes from the outliers and proceeds to be normalized, first by sub"cultures" and then by mainstream fashion players. The difference is the internet has acelerated this process tremendously, making hyped styles peak, be normalized and crash in just a few years instead of a decade or so.
Just experiment and try to create your own unique style, as impossible as that seems

gen Z probably wont have subcultures anymore

It will all be continous hipsterdom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_(subculture)

>embarass

How fitting of you to bring up embarrassment. Makes fun of "nogs" but can't even spell. Moron.

>Gangsta rap died in 2005

It is basically dead. I mean, drill rap is a thing but it's not a super mainstream thing. Rap continues to talk about the high life and shit, but yeah cop killing and the hood is kind of over.

does /pol/ have to infect every board?

maybe i'll be safe if i try /po/

You know rap music today is a lot less masculine generally than it was in the emo days. And mainstream rap actually evolves unlike mainstream rock so that might have something to do with it.

"Streetwear" as we know it today spawned from the grunge and skate movements of the 90s. Nike SB, Stussy Supreme had huge parts in this, along with old roots in punk music and recently hip-hop

people grow up and have to get jobs, bands lose popularity or change their look. it's the same reason your mom doesn't have a blowed out hairspray afro and dresses like she's going to a blondie concert. there's probably bands coming up that are "alt emo punk rock" that fit that mold that have a similar following of girls that dress a certain way to fit in with a certain aesthetic, but you're older so you're not aware of it.
like is this really that hard to understand?

Theyve diversified, meaning rappers are taking elements from punk and rock aesthetic. And white people are taking elements from gangster culture like sagging ripped pants and oversized/tall tees. Also normcore/uniqlocore trend is popular because you can look good without being too edgy or drawing too much attention (dad caps, earthtones, peacoats etc). Also the fetishization of depression created the future goth/punk sadboy shit.

Yeah

But at least the 50's had an actually interesting conservative culture

I hate this world

I found something lıke the 2010s equivalent.

Go to the Facebook group "death grips trash posting"

Look at the girls there. Black band shirts, Dyed hair, chokers and piercings. Not all are fat feminatzi tumblerites either. some are just as attractive as a girl could look in that or the retarded shit scene kids would wear. Music has evolved. There is still dark and emotional music but it is more electronic.

>white culture
>bionicle

Maori screeching intensifies

Also the mata are objectively more effay than any other bionicle set with the acception of the rahi

Not OP, but I was just thinking about this recently. I realize there aren't any "alt girls" like there were in the 90's where it was a subculture separate from the mainstream . Think prep vs goths or rockers back in school. Now it's all been co-opted by the general population in what you can describe as the Tumblr look. It's not so much about the music and subculture anymore, now it's just muh pastel goth A E S T H I C.

>shitty things don't exist anymore in the same shitty way
what a travesty

>shitty things
>same shitty way

Great opinions man, you've contributed immensely to this discussion.

>mata is effay

correct, this one is most effay

blow it out your ass. haha. jk man you're alright.
I miss those sexy emo girls too.

The deal is that there isn't really a mainstream anymore.

Name one musician that everyone likes. This is why no one can be happy with the super bowl half time show. In the 90s people were happy because you could find musicians everyone loved.

So when you see mainstream brands catering to all the subcultures it isn't really the normalization of subculture but the lack of a mainstream.

what country do you live in

who gives a shit what happen in burger land..they are irrevelant when it comes to fashion..

>Americuck
>white
even your 60% """white""" is not pure white..but keep saying that we wuz white and shit

>It's not so much about the music and subculture anymore, now it's just muh pastel goth A E S T H I C

so music basically defined the subcultures and has changed into nothing but appearances now?

I doubt that. theres a whole thread on this thread about """indie""" girls

man emos where hot as fuck famalamo. I'd love to pump dat pusi b0ss

IMO the internet has led fashion in 1000 directions at once instead of several main branches. people buy online from around the world instead of locally. people buy what they see as cool online instead of what they see other people wearing in person. sure some groups dress in similar aesthetics (5 goofy rick ninjas photographed together) but it isn't nearly as uniform as it used to be.

>I'd love to pump dat pusi b0ss

does this work as a pickup line?

i didn't even get any emo putty back in '06, i was fucking girls that worked at abercrombie and hollister FML

every single time
>tfw you will never fuck a 16yo hot emo chick

The commodifying of "geek culture", the rise of hipsters, and the proliferation of the internet simply democratized and stratified most, if not all, of what were once fringe subcultures. It's no longer a matter of which mall store you go to, because now everybody knows the kind of things that your kind do and talk about.

The lines have been bluured so much, that we're at a point where previous social rejects like weeaboos and furries are now just as fluent in Twitter and Instagram memes as most normies.

As far as I'm concerned, the future of youth subcultures lies in the realm of politics.

Reminds me of this.

These days you can be whatever sub culture group you want to be in and still be considered normal.