How many dollars of U.S. mixed coins would you estimate are in a 5 gallon bucket filled to the rim...

How many dollars of U.S. mixed coins would you estimate are in a 5 gallon bucket filled to the rim, I estimate it weighs over 150lbs I actually cant lift it so maybe more, this guy has been collecting it for a few years just tossing in all his change at the end of the day.. I have been harassing him to sell it to me and I would take a gamble on how much is in there, but we haven't been able to agree on a price yet he offered to take $1500 and I offered to pay $1000....so what do you anons think how much is in the bucket roughly? pic is not the actual bucket but closest thing I could find via google the bucket in question is a single full 5 gal

Other urls found in this thread:

coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pay him the 1500 user

If filed with pennies then around $300
Quarters $6000.

it's a mix of pennies, dimes, quarters, nickels, it hasn't been picked thru, the guy never spends coins even if something is 1.01 he will break a dollar instead of digging a penny out and it all goes into the bucket

estimate the circumference and depth, fill some fraction of a bucket with coins of your own and multiply

Particularly if you take the time to sort out the 1964 or older quarters and dimes.

I had a few half gallons at home a few hundred each. just face value.
If you check the dates of the quarters and dimes you'd be boosting the worth of the quarters and dimes a few thousand percent each.

coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

played around on wolfram alpha
says between 26k and 30k pennies depending on density.
unless the five gallon bucket isn't actually five gallons of volume

or 14k - 17k quarters. or $3500-$4000
33k-39k dimes or $3300-$3900
16k to 20k nickels or $800-$1000

if you want to be better weigh an empty bucket.
quarters would weigh at least 175lbs
Dimes would weigh at least 165lbs
pennies would weigh 143lbs
nickels at least 176lbs

So if you average this out nickels and pennies you lose everything else you win.

99 cents has 3 quarters,2 dimes, and four pennies

so you take the 175 lbs and find the weight of these coins

penny .08818oz or 2.5g
quarter .2oz or 5.67g
dime . 08oz or 2.268g
multply
=1.11272 oz per group

divide and that comes to 2516.4 groups

I get 10064 pennies
7548 quarters
5032 dimes

or $2490.84 would be a good firm average given an inefficient distribution.

about tree fitty

thanks bro, that would be excellent if it was anything close to 2400...hell id be happy making a $100 on the deal

Bout tree fiddy

Thanks guys

Bumpin for a guesstimate

Before you make another bid, you need to understand that 1) people don't tend to toss quarters, so the change is worth less than you think (per lb.), and 2) you need a good guess as to how much a single lb. of coins costs, so you can properly extrapolate to ~150 lbs. (which I'm assuming is an estimate, in which case you're a weak fuck who can't deadlift 150 lbs. and I laugh at you, girly-man).

you sneaky shit! i'm going to sort through it now.

I'd say between $500 and $1000 depending on the mix ratio.

About 2500 if he wasn't skimming the quarters

This is how I save my change

no quarters were skimmed I have actually seen him dump in like 10$ of quarters before....

I once "stole" a 10gallon bucket about half way full.
I was not able to lift moar then a few second's with adrenaline pumping to the gill's. When i cashed it in i received about $700 on the first , which was 3/4th's of the bucket. And when i cashed in the rest with very little sifting threw i got around $350 or so. It also had wrapped up $10 $20 bills not including in estimate.

I know this is very vague and inaccurate, but thought i would share due to relevance.

BTW this is "FICTION" ;)

>I always carry quarters and spend them
>people don't tend to toss quarters
you need to back that shit statement up

English isn't your first language, is it?

measure how much in random spare change to fill one half inch of the bucket. Multiply that amount how many half inches tall the bucket is.

That is the common solution to the problem. You won't get the exact amount but you'll be closer to it than any other person in your class.

Also....forgot to mention....make sure your buddy doesn't have a false bottom under a few inches of spare change.

In the oil business it is not uncommon for marketers to fill the test pipe of a barge with good oil while the rest of the barge is filled with bullshit type material/liquids. Low cunning is so common in the oil business it is laughable.

>bullshit type material/liquids
Like what? Genuinely curious.

OP, in order to successfully valuate if this opportunity is good, weigh in your risk; are you prepared to potentially loose a couple hundred bucks or more?. Second, you would need a rough estimate as to how much is in there; you have weight and volume on your side, but no proportion as to whatever denominations are within that bucket. Could be 50% pennies 25% nickles 25% quarters and vise versa, more or less; the less you could take from a bucket full of random change is a bucket full of pennies. Meaning that 150lbs of pennies is 68.18 kgs x1000=68180g @ 2.5g/penny is (2.72x10^4 pennies/100+272.72 dollars) 272 dollars is your lowest estimate, Work with what is known and against you- your friend has the bucket day and night and so has all the time to know for the very least how much is in there; that offer he took you on >1500 bukos could very well be 100-200 dollars off if not more.