How the fuck do you all do it

And that's a serious question.

How in the hell are you not constantly overwhelmed by all the different aspects of what makes an outfit work?
How did you know if something did fit right?
How did you know what things in your closet you should keep and what you should chuck?
How did you learn what to ask from your tailor?

I'm just going through all the aspects of the sticky and my head starts to spin at all the aspects and variables. I'm not even asking for help, I'm wondering just how in the hell you all did/still do it?

Feel free to bash me for it as well, fuck, and sorry for shitting up the board.

I don't. I have no fashion sense whatsoever and not a clue on what I am doing or should be doing or how. But all of these threads are too entertaining, so I stay.

You progress user, you don't just buy full rick one day, you make sure you look good in basic fits, and then you can start to incorporate more advanced pieces and aesthetics.

Lurk more and you'll at least get some idea of what works and what doesn't.

My only problem with that method is when it comes to my work clothes. I don't even know if those are fitted correctly let alone if they look good. I don't even know what changes to make, with the longer I wait to improve the longer I look like shit. I hate this so much.

Fashion is not all that complicated lol. Just look at a lot of inspos and try to find a healthy balance between being obnoxious(vlone/palace tier) and boring(r/manswear/alpha m). Stop trying to be so proper and perfect(fit/color and all) with your outfits, that shit just looks try hard at worst and boring at best.

I remember feeling exactly like this two year or three ago when I started to get into all of this. I can't say I'm the most knowledgeable person about effay, but as someone who recently got into this I know how overwhelming it is and how that changed for me. The real secret is that it isn't that much work because at some point it just becomes natural and something we don't have to worry to much about. Once you know what looks good and have a good set of clothes to pair together stuff gets easy

It seems your interested in this if your looking at the sticky so I'm just going to post advice and hope it helps. For me it was really just a matter of practicing every day. People have a tendency to want to be good at things instantly, but it's going to take awhile to develop your ability to see what looks good and doesn't.

Look around and take notice of people who look really good, even if you can't put your finger on it. Make a mental note of what they're wearing and try to break down why you think that looks good. Perusing inspo threads is good for this too.
Understand that your going to be bad at fashion for a while, and further down the road you'll probably cringe about what you wore. The fact that your trying will still make you better than lots of people.

Also, clothes are expensive, but you still need practice picking out clothes and developing the skills to tell if something is a good cop. The best and most original advice I can give is going to a thrift store for this. You can develop those skills without having to spend a ton of money and expand your wardrobe at the same time. Go with a friend and use them to help get a second opinion (preferably someone who's a different size than you so you don't end up competing for clothes). It's super fun and you'll probably feel like your hunting for treasure.

Anyways, it's really not that bad, the longer you stay interested in fa and the more you think about it, the easier it is.

>How in the hell are you not constantly overwhelmed by all the different aspects of what makes an outfit work?
most people on Veeky Forums dress worse than the generic MFA-clones, don't worry

Here's a cleaner looking fit. There are so many sources to take inspirations from, ie sportswear/casual and shit doesn't have to be a 'perfect fit'. Look at comfycores and terrorwave inspos which have some genuinely good looking fits which you can try to emulate.

I think to a point that's my problem, I see the inspo and try to emulate it so much then I panic because I realize I don't know where to start and just continue looking like shit. That goes for my casual and my work clothes.

Like, I literally have no clue if my shirt is poorly fitted or if I'm wearing it wrong or if that guy I see wearing the clean button down and thin expensive khakis clothes are cut better than mine or if it's just lighting and im over thinking it and so I never bother going to a tailor to see what they can do or just getting the new shirt in general.

And I know your point is that fit doesn't matter, but in some aspects of my life, it does, very much so in my work life.

>How in the hell are you not constantly overwhelmed by all the different aspects of what makes an outfit work?
Because the trick is not to attack every possible look. Start with basics because then you only need to worry about fit and colour.
>How did you know if something did fit right?
I shop with the only effay friend while also being somewhat self aware. Once you've worn well fitting clothes you know what to look for.
>How did you know what things in your closet you should keep and what you should chuck?
If I don't wear something after a season I typically toss it.
>How did you learn what to ask from your tailor?
That's not hard at all, asking to have parts taken in is e z
>I'm just going through all the aspects of the sticky and my head starts to spin at all the aspects and variables. I'm not even asking for help, I'm wondering just how in the hell you all did/still do it?
Just do one bit at a time and work from there my man. It becomes second nature. Was driving a car overwhelming at first? Absolutely. Too many things but after a while you naturalized it
>Feel free to bash me for it as well, fuck, and sorry for shitting up the board.
Nah mate. If you're here to get better I will never bash you.

I actually have some inspos in regards to what I want.
It's whether or not the store I'm at has it.
Or whether or not I'm picking the right fit.
Or whether or not clothes I currently own are good enough.
And on, and on, and on.

I think the worst part is knowing what I want but not knowing if I'm actually attaining it. The other problem for me is time, going on a 3hr scavenge at a thrift shop becomes quite difficult when you don't even own a car and work a 9-7 and still need to lift and all my other bullshit excuses.

See thats whats stopping you. Stop being so scared of looking like shit. Its inevitable at first. Just embrace it, keep trying, and time will pay you back eventually.

The problem is that you're looking at fashion as if it's a job interview or something. How you look greatly depends on your confidence and personality. Just reading this, you seem fucking timid and insecure about everything. Fashion is not an SAT, you don't have to look perfect all the time, good taste comes from experience and experimentation. You don't go from underarmour to Yohji Yamamoto overnight.

Search Ashley Weston the section how clothes should fit that is a good start.

Take it slow that's the primary thing I'm picking up on, and in all honesty that's probably my best move. Ill probably start with new t-shirts and jeans and start working my way up until I'm finally smart enough to upgrade my professional wardrobe. I guess the only thing I'd still want to know is where explicitly not to shop, like is Kohl's a shit show, are all department stores, etc.?

Thank you senpai

I just go loose or just put on whatever you feel like wearing. Wearing fits that look like from 2003-2005 atm and it feels great

I know this Veeky Forums and most people are by definition assholes on here but if you just cover your face and ask those questions about how your stuff fits in a waywt on here i'm sure you'd get some good feedback on it.

In all honesty this is really the only thing I'm ever timid about, nothing horrifies me more than trying to look good only to end up looking like an idiot who both A.) Tried too hard, and B.) Still missed the mark

are you fucking stupid?

Yes, extremely

huh? not you you dingus the other guy

Just look at the waywt threads here and realize that 90% percent of the public dress 700x worst than that and doesn't give a flying fuck about what they wear. Under no circumstance should you give a fuck what people think of your fashion sense. Unless you live next to a fashion runway, the zenith of fashion for most people is just plain white tee, black pants and boots or sneakers.

I'm a dumb phone and frog poster m8, you should expect no less

When you want to know the general quality of a certain brand, just look at their catalog. If their stuff looks like aliexpress shit, dont cop anything from them. Or at least be very picky if you do.

But yeah please just focus on building solid basics first. The more solid basic pieces you have, the faster you will be able to fit in unique and attractive pieces you want, since youll have a wardrobe that can complement them.

what is going on? this /x/. kick rocks loser

Its frightening and it sucks, but remember that for when you get better your compliments will outweigh the bashes by magnitudes

I just get validation from other people

All good advice, my only thing is, I don't know how my dress shirts or really anything should look, so I don't want to embarrass myself at the railroad by just saying "make it look better" or asking to have something taken in when it's actually fine

>Railroad

Jesus Christ, I meant TAILOR

Making clothes fit well is part of their job, just ask them something like
> Hey I got some shirts and I'm not sure if they fit me well, could you take a look at it?
Your a customer so they're not gonna make fun of you (and even if you weren't a customer most decent people wouldn't)

Worst case scenario is they already fit you well and they can't help you but then you know in the future what a well fitted shirt looks like on you.

What are interest of yours? What kind of art do you like? Maybe you can incorporate that into your outfits.

did you never get that feeling of "my fit really is on fire today" when you look in the mirror? i already got that when i was in elementary school, when my mom bought my clothes - even though i didn't give a single fuck about what i was wearing.
it's just a basic sense of aesthetic, some people have it and some don't and if you don't have it you just gotta "learn" how pieces have to fit and what colors go well together. but in this case i'd just stick to basics and look for a different hobby.

You're obviously a fucking sperg. Fashion is aesthetic values, if you can't into art don't bother with fashion.

Yes actually, another problem I have is consistently finding it though since I'm a Veeky Forums manlet. T-shirts end up being too long but we'll fitted or too tight but the right length

What do you mean by too tight?

One thing I learned when becoming effay was learning how clothes were supposed to fit since I was used to a super-relaxed cut. Clothes that actually fit well might feel tight at first because you're not used to it.

Go to a slightly nicer department store, Macy's at a minimum. Nordstrom has nice things also.

Seriously, look at what the mannequins are wearing. Obviously not every outfit on display will be something you like, but if you see something and say "yeah, that looks nice" give it a go.

A tailor is a professional. His whole job is tailoring. Say "I don't even know where to begin" and he will help you. Don't get a black suit unless you are going to a funeral.

The only way to ever improve is to try. Say "I am not leaving this mall without two outfits I really like and make me feel good" and stick to that. You don't need to be a master of everything, start small. Two outfits.

>What do you mean

As in you can see my nips, or I can feel the back stretch or it looks like I'm wearing children's clothes or some combination of the above

My suits are actually the only thing in my wardrobe I KNOW fit me well, I may need to tailor them again since I've gotten a bit more muscular, but I've always looked sharp.

That's a good tip tho, I'll visit Nordstrom first for some nicer t-shirts and long pants

Trial and error user. I've probably wasted a $1500+ on clothes that I don't like anymore, doesn't fit me right, etc. You have to come to terms with fucking up. You should research a lot of brands, understand what styles look good, understand what styles make you look like an autist, browse this board and r/mfa, etc. before you consider throwing a final wardrobe together.

I'm fully prepared to drop serious $$ on this, I mean Ive legitimately thought about renting one of those personal stylists for an hour or two. Idk, one step at a time.

You start from the bottom and work your way up, the basics are knowing your body, your proportions and understanding the basics of silhouette. After that pay attention to coherence of colors. After you figure those out you are already doing pretty well.
>How did you know if something did fit right?
See above, if you learn all that you will know when something fits how you want.
>How did you know what things in your closet you should keep and what you should chuck?
You keep the shit you wear a lot.

my 18 year old self was wearing green / yellow / purple Superstars, Kidrobot shirts, Hypebeast jeans with shit screenprinted on the cuff so that, and flat-billed caps
28 now
it took a long time to get the point where my look is totally effortless, I can put together an outfit with no thought and it looks good

The only way to go wrong is trying too hard m8.

this
buy some cheap basics first, a nice vaguely well-fitting sweater and pants + nice simple sneakers will make you look better than 80% of people
then slowly start aquiring slightly more interesting things, maybe thrift a bit so you don't blow a lot of money, learn to understand what looks good on you and what kind of styles you like