Safety Razors

Is wet shaving effay, or is it reserved to leddit fedora wearing autists?

I'm obsessed with grooming and I read a lot of good stuff about shaving with a safety razors. I find the razors much nicer than modern ones. It's also introduced me to a variety of neat products. Although I find great pleasure in the act of shaving, my skin is really sensitive, I'm hoping to see good improvements on that; less razor burns, etc. It seems a lot cheaper as well.

I'm waiting on my first razor to arrive from shipping so I can give it a try. Pic related

Anyone here has any experience

Other urls found in this thread:

westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE89-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome_p_725.html
westcoastshaving.com/Cella-Shave-Soap-Cream_p_190.html
westcoastshaving.com/Omega-10066-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_470.html
westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Lab-Blue-Double-Edge-Blades-100-per-carton_p_1157.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I shave with a razor similar to the one pictured. It is nice, you feel a closer shave. I still use regular shaving cream because lathering some soap that is equally good or slightly better isn't worth the time for me.

It is cheaper, about 50 percent cheaper. The razor is, and so are the blades. But the blades can be either mega cheap to pretty expensive. It all ranges on how long you want the individual blade to retain sharpness imho. Of course better blades last longer.

As far as sensitive skin goes, you had better be careful. Its so easy to cut yourself relative to disposables and cartridges. You CANNOT just take mindless swipes at your face and hope for a) a clean shave or b) no cuts.

I say go for it user

Being obsessive about lathering soaps and badger brushes stupid mugs and such is indeed fedora-esque.
Being invested in your own wellness, grooming health isn't. Just don't go overboard, take the time to learn what works for you, and accept that sometimes, convenience trumps pleasure. I have a couple of soaps that I like, but most mornings, Aveeno gel does the job great.

Also, I'm sorry about your razor, you fucked up. Got mine 5 years ago and it changed my life.

>equally good or slightly better
fuckin kek if I had to choose between actual soap and a cartridge razor and a safety razor and canned placebo I'd go with the cartridge

I've stopped shaving my head with a safety razor because I was getting tired of gouging off chunks of flesh from my scalp. Scars look pretty badass though.

buy a variety pack of DE blades and see which ones work best for your skin

Safety razor provides a better cut at a cheaper price. The initial cost isn't very much and will save you over the long run. I have feather blades which are supposed to sharper than most. I chose these simply because they had good reviews or amazon... took me max 1 hour to decide. Since you have sensitive skin Id say look into different blade types or try a few to see what works. I couldn't tell you anything about my brush/soap/actual razor. Anything more than this amount of care in the whole process isn't fa, just obsessive.

as a trans person who needs a babi soft face every day, I use one, though I've had bad luck finding the right kind of razor. I think I've tried most of them, Crystal and Feather stick out, but I've come back to Merkur.
I use a sorta regular shaving cream with a badger brush. Cremo Cream to be exact.
That being said, if you can't dedicate an hour to the shave every day you'll fuck up your face big time good, and regularly. It's not something you can rush.

Cremo is some good shit. I use it and Shark super chrome. I'd highly recommend those as a good all around blade in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

Canned shaving gel = soap + additives.

I spray that shit on my shower tile every day and it keeps it from getting mildewy

As for razors, I just use a Gillette mach3 since I'm not a poorfag. And don't want the 5 bladed monstrosity.

I used to use a Parker + derby blades back when I was a broke kid though.

why do you talk like shaving is like cooking a dinner. I use a similar razer since it's cheap to buy the razorblades

I shave with a Merkur-Solingen Futur razor using Feather blades, they're ultra sharp and cut as cleanly as anything I've ever found.

When I was first getting into DE razors I bought the full badger fur brush + shaving soap set but imo that shit is for spergs so I just use canned gel now that lathers into a nice thick foam, plus a pre-shave foam which feels great on the skin.

I have very sensitive skin and occasionally suffered from razor burn before swapping to DE razors but now I get no skin irritation at all. The blade is so keen that it will cut straight through a fingernail though ( I'm not joking, I dropped one I was trying to put into my razor and it embedded itself in the white part of my thumbnail ) and most other things too.

I'd say it took me a good week or so to stop cutting my face when shaving, nothing major but definitely the sort that bleed a lot. Especially hard to shave with these when coming around the jawline.

The key I found was to not put ANY pull on the razor at all and just let the weight of it guide itself down your face, supporting it with your hand of course. It's a different technique but it's quite therapeutic once you get used to it.

Would highly recommend over a cartridge razor.

the only leddit way to shave is with a straight razor
everything else is cool

this.

I only shave with a safety razor, cheaper long run, closer shave, more comfortable than any standard razor I've ever used. I couldn't care less if it's leddit, the pros out way the cons, also, who's going to know how you shave once you step outside your bathroom.

Holy fuck the misinformation in here, Feather blades are NOT any sharper than other blades, you idiots are falling for this meme.

Why are shaving threads always garbage on Veeky Forums? Being into something that provides self-care and goes into appearance is the fucking definition of being Veeky Forums.

Get pre shave lotion you absolute baboon

The autism here is amazing. Let's do it by the numbers:

(1) Pic related, or something like it, will probably give you every bit as good a shave as an old-fashioned safety razor. There's a reason that people stopped using the latter. They were MUCH easier to cut yourself with, by factors of hundreds.

(2) It is a myth that a disposable won't last you several months, IF you take care of it. Just make sure you dry it out before storing between shaves, and the edge might even last up to a year. Really. This makes disposables the cheapest option, probably.

(3) Lathering is for fucktards. Always was. Any old vegetable oil is a perfectly good lubricant to soften the whiskers. I've had great success with olive oil and things marketed as "moisturizing gel". Just let your whiskers get a little steamed in the shower, and then spread on the oil or gel.

1 You won't cut yourself all the time. Look at pictures of your grandpa, did he have a million scars on his face?

2. No blades last several months unless you are only shaving peach fuzz. The DE blades cost 10 cents a blade, not even the disposables can top that.

3. lathering really is for idiots, it takes time and does not provide any advantages over regular shaving gel. Depending on the brand (like that proraso stuff in europe) it might be cheaper than the canned stuff to leather up (provided you don't waste money on silver bowls and meme hair brushes)

holy shit how fucking wrong can you be in one post.

>There's a reason that people stopped using the latter

Literally fucking no. The reason that disposables came into widespread use is that they are a cheaper initial investment and ad men know that most people are retards and will spend more long term if they think theyre getting a deal in the short term. Also watch a razor commercial some time, every single razor has to be marketed on some gimmick or "improvement" that makes them stand out. This is usually a good sign that the underlying product is pretty shit. I will agree with you that if you're going to buy disposables buy the cheapest possible, since theyre not going to be any worse than the expensive shit.

>MUCH easier to cut yourself with, by factors of hundreds.

False as fuck. First, where are you getting this "factors of hundreds" bullshit. Also, a safety razor is incredibly easy to use if you practice and take it slow the first few times. I've shaved with one probably around 500 times at this point and cut myself maybe a handful of times. If anything I'd argue that disposables are easier to cut with since people think they can go super fast with them and not worry about the fact that theres multiple razor blades against their skin.

Fuck. I was on the verge of going to sleep and now im going full autist

I have personally used both old-fashioned "safety" razors and several varieties of disposable. There is no comparison in how much more careful I had to be with the old style.

There are wide differences in quality among disposables. You have to shop around a little. I have personally used the same disposable for three or four months, with decent results. I've read of some people using one for up to a year.

I remember both a father and a grandfather who used the old kind, and they cut themselves pretty regularly. Minor cuts, and it was probably a macho thing to think nothing of it.

My recommendation is to avoid safety razor shaving if you're pressed for time.

When you have enough experience you'll get a smooth shave no matter what soap and still finish quick.

Inexperience and going fast will lead to pic related.

This is usually the result of applying pressure. The result is smooth, but it also looks like shit and everyone will see it.

>safety razor
>unsafe

No one can tell you how to shave - however, I am about to.
The best, closest and quickest shave with the least amount of irritation is achieved by using:
-A 5 blade cartridge razor like that of Gillette Fusion is best but do not buy into the swivel ball handle
-A heavy duty oil which is relatively waterproof such as Taylor of Old Bond Street (there's probably an oil blend out there just as thick with no sandalwood oil)
-An antibacterial, antiseptic lightly lathering shave cream which contains ingredients like lactic acid and tea tree oil to help exfoliate (chemically) and provide a clean (as in sanitary) shave.
-A good BHA exfoliant like that of PC 2% BHA which will prevent ingrowns, redness and other irritation without alcohol or irritants
-A good moisturiser
Your routine goes like this:
-Take a shower, or, if doing the shave when you don't shower, use a face towel soaked in hot (as hot as you can stand) water and press it against the face, repeat several times
-Apply your oil to the area to be shaved, make sure to massage it in
-Do something for 5 minutes or so (brush teeth, get dressed etc.) to give the oil time to soften the hairs
-Wet hands with warm-hot water and lightly rinse face (this way the oil does not clog the blades but has stuck to the skin and hair) to remove excess oil
-Apply shaving cream and let sit on the face for 2 minutes or so before moving onto the shave
-Shave your face it small strokes and only do small segments at a time, making sure to rinse the blade frequently and thoroughly to prevent clogging (You can do this against the grain because the skin will be prepped so well)
-Lightly rinse face before cleansing the skin (whichever cleanser you prefer)
-Pat the face dry and apply your BHA product (it will sting slightly even though there is no alcohol - you're applying an acid to tender skin, this is not bad for the skin)
-Follow with the rest of your routine which should include a good moisturiser

There is no better shave.

Would you prefer one of these?

>used shitty bic disposables and cheapo shave foam daily,they work perfectly
>girlfriend buys me a safety razor from Aesop with some 'shaving serum' it shaves off basically none of my fucking facial hair

what on earth

Did you put the blade in?

yeah, though they were just the blades that were included so they're probably just shit

knurly

>Is wet shaving effay, or is it reserved to leddit fedora wearing autists?
The process is neither effay nor autismal, only the outcome -- a neat shave -- is effay. How you get there is up to you, you don't performatively shave in front of a fucking audience so who cares how it comes off while you're doing it.

That said I personally find wet shaving about 5000% more effective and pleasant, my skin around the throat is very sensitive and it gets chewed to fuck by electrics and multiblade razors.

Yes

Hey, Op. I'm glad you're into traditional wet shaving. Not only is it a lot cheaper, its healthy, and it's also entertaining. It saves you a fortune compared to cartridge razors. Just do the math. There's lots of products out there when it comes to classic wet shaving. Just don't get obsessed and go on a shopping spree. For beginners, I recommend a mild razor, a shaving cream bc they are easier to lather up, a boar brush bc its easy to make lather with, and some average blades. These things are essential for a beginner because it makes it easier for them and builds their confidence.
Here's a list of products I recommend for a beginner.
Razor: westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE89-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome_p_725.html
Shaving cream: westcoastshaving.com/Cella-Shave-Soap-Cream_p_190.html
Shaving brush: westcoastshaving.com/Omega-10066-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_470.html
Razor blades: westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Lab-Blue-Double-Edge-Blades-100-per-carton_p_1157.html
Hopefully, you anons follow my advice.
Here's a pic of what I started using as a rookie.

Don't give that advice. Your technique is jus crap. Work on it.

It's all about technique. There are men out there who have mastered shaving with a straight razor which is far more difficult than shaving with a safety.

I bought one a couple months ago to shave my head

I don't know if the blades are shit or if it's my skin but I have to shave the same spot a dozen times to get the closest shave possible, which fucks my scalp up

I like the whole ritual though

It is neither. Both terms are cringy. Shaving is a necessity, unless you want to look like a hobo. Men with beards also have to shave certain areas of their face

How can you possibly fuck up this bad? I don't even look like this after straight razor shaves and I'm really inexperienced.

I just shave with water and an average razor, shaving cream is a meme.
>no products
>no technique
>just a steady hand