How good of an investment would a vehicle be for a college student?

How good of an investment would a vehicle be for a college student?
I'm finishing my first year, and I've concluded that I need a car for commenting more efficiently opposed to taking the bus.
So, for those who have experience, how good of an investment would this be?

I need something that is reliable. I'm not getting a new car until I graduate, but as of now I'm thinking maybe $10k for something that wouldnt go to shit so quickly.

>How good of an investment would a vehicle be for a college student?

A deprecating asset with more costs added on(fuel, maintenance, repairs, tickets) is not an investment, it's a liability.

>but as of now I'm thinking maybe $10k for something that wouldnt go to shit so quickly.

There is virtually no difference between a $3k car and $10k car in terms of practical usage.

This is not an investment, this is a money sink.
There is virtually no difference between a $3k car and $10k car in terms of practical usage.
No. There is significant difference in the amount of maintenance one would have to do between those two ranges. If you buy a car with $10k, you're not going to worry about a head gasket, struts, compressor, etc Buy a $3k car and you can have fun replacing everything from the windshield wipers to the timing belt

Alright, time to come out. I agree 100% with you. My friend has the thought of spending $10k for a fucking car. I told him to get a piece of shit $2k Japanese car (parts are easier to find) just to get around. He says no, we have no experience so disregards my suggestions.
Plus, the resale value wouldnt mean shit. He's spending so much in the now when he can go for so less. He's looking for luxury, fucking retard.

Not only this, he has $8k saved up but wants to work to $10k. Basically spend 100% of his savings on a fucking car. Why not just spend $2k and the rest as it is the depreciating asset.
Fuck. I'm pissed off. Give me more arguments to convince him to not be retarded.

>If you buy a car with $10k, you're not going to worry about a head gasket, struts, compressor, etc Buy a $3k car and you can have fun replacing everything from the windshield wipers to the timing belt

No not really. Not sure where you got that idea.

It's really diminishing returns, anything past $3-5k is pretty much useless for practicality.
Sure it might not be a car you pick up gold diggers in but for getting where you need to go it's good.

Also take into account that for the cost of that $10 you could buy THREE $3k cars. You can't tell me 3 of them will last you less than one $10k car.

Bought a $1100 1996 Chevy Cavalier 5 years ago and I've never had a problem.

Bought a $12,600 2010 Jeep Wrangler and the tranny went out within the month.

Cars are a waste.

This.

Cars are a huge moneysink for no good reason, you need to be VERY mindful of diminishing returns.

More expensive = better is not even close to true for them. It all depends on the model too, some models have virtually no issues and thus can be reliably bought at Fuck. I'm pissed off. Give me more arguments to convince him to not be retarded.

Just don't bother, not your money why do you care how he spends it?

It's hard enough giving advice to people who ask for it, let alone people who don't ask for is impossible to convince.

If it get yo a$$ to work!

I care about the guy. He's been my best friend since middle school but holy fuck he's stupid.
He asked for advice and I told him what to do. But nope. He's going with his initial thoughts.

Same thing happened with a laptop. I'm known as the tech guy in our group, so naturally he came to me for advice as to what laptop he should get. I gave him some good suggestions on laptops that would last him the next 3 years comfortably. But nope. He wanted to get this bullshit $1000, outdated specs laptop because it was 1lb lighter than mine. I tried so hard to convince him otherwise but that 1lb argument kept coming through. The dumbfuck spent 70% more than he should have.

>I care about the guy. He's been my best friend since middle school but holy fuck he's stupid.
>He asked for advice and I told him what to do. But nope. He's going with his initial thoughts.

You did your part, if he doesn't want to listen you can't break his cock.

People need to learn things themselves.

>Same thing happened with a laptop. I'm known as the tech guy in our group, so naturally he came to me for advice as to what laptop he should get

His loss. I'm using a $200 laptop without any issue, loving it so far.

Regarding the car, tell your friend that he also has to pay for liability insurance, which is going to be quite expensive for a male under the age of 25.

He's going to have to bust his hump to net $2,000 to get him up to $10,000 total savings only to spend it all on a car. Then he's going to need maybe $1,000/year for liability insurance.

Regarding friends who ask for advice but don't seem to follow it. Give the advice when asked. If they ignore it, offer good reasons why they should heed the advice and, if possible, tell them how the future will unfold if they do the stupid thiing. If they continue to ignore the advice, let it be.

When things ultimately go pear-shaped, don't gloat.

The only thing that will teach these kinds of people a lesson is financial pain and, shockingly, even financial loss is sometimes an inadequate teacher.

Cars not an investment, dude. It's transportation. So get yourself some basic transportation and rock on.

If this idiot buys the right car it could be an actual smart investment. Buying a car like a Pontiac G8 and actually taking care of it might yield a return in 15 years

Beautifully said.

>Buying a car like a Pontiac G8
>Buying a car like a Pontiac
>a car like a Pontiac
>like a Pontiac
>a Pontiac
>Pontiac
Poor Old Nigger Thinks It's A Cadillac
Old
Nigger
Thinks
It's
A
Cadillac

Your friend is a stupid poorfag. Let him fuck up. You'll get free blowjobs when he comes begging you for a couch to crash on.

lmao, I'm white and drive a pontiac but 99% of the other pontiacs I see near me are driven by blacks. I wonder why this is

Depends, bought a old 1990 red convertible at an estate sale for $5k, put $1k into fixing it up and sold it for $10k, just depends on what sort of car, but most cars are money sinks.

A car is as much of an investment as a burger king whopper.

by feeding yourself you are able to keep on living and therefore earn more money.

a car won't appreciate in value, but time, mobility, and convenience may be worth more than the cost of the car. for example i needed a car to commute to work in a town with shit public transport.

I drive a Ford Ranger. I paid $2100 for it.

I had to buy tires and get an alignment, had to replace some tie rods, replaced the water pump and serpentine belt, new battery, just basic maintenance that any car will need. All in all I'm still in it for maybe $3000 and have been driving it for 3 years without any issues whatsoever.

only white guys drive miatas, dunno man

Pontiacs and Chevy sedans are black man's territory

>Fuck. I'm pissed off.

Why are you pissed, though? It's his money, atleast he's not taking out a loan to do it. Not everyone wants to go through their life eating noodles and driving a cheap toyota for a measly mil in savings by the time they retire.