I've been shaving more often lately to keep clean shaven...

I've been shaving more often lately to keep clean shaven, but I'm getting tired of spending big money on Gillette razor heads. I'm starting to look into straight razors and safety razors, but I was wondering if anybody have any razors to recommend, and what your experience is with straight razors versus safety razors. I'm really looking for a close shave that leaves you feeling good, with minimal skin damage and irritation. Money is no object, but I don't want to overspend.

Thanks Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PWSEAXY4UGPY
amazon.com/Superior-Premium-Platinum-Personal-Healthcare/dp/B00EXPTR0W/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491259719&sr=1-1&keywords=astra
amazon.com/Dovo-Shavette-Finish-Straight-Holder/dp/B007PCM87O/ref=sr_1_12_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491259903&sr=1-12&keywords=shavette
amazon.com/Perfecto-Original-Shaving-Engineered-methods/dp/B00LDYFGFQ/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491260051&sr=1-1&keywords=perfecto
amazon.com/Col-Conk-Shave-Ounces-Variety/dp/B0071B7XCO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491261212&sr=8-1&keywords=colonel+conk&th=1
amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bond-Street-Sandalwood/dp/B00158S4RM/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491261240&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=taylor+of+old+bond+street&smid=AMAE8K0LRQPCN&th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The modern day razors are.cheap fast and effective.

Do you really want to spend $125 on a Rockwell razor handle, $30 on a 100 blade pack of obsolete blades fro Israel...$25 on a puck of soap from some candian Reddit or who started the brand of the month and spend an hour of your day heating water, wicking up "artisan" soap into a lather....With a $150 badger brush

Only to get a mediocre shave with a ton of Knicks until you understand how to utilize the shaver?

Or do you want to spend $5.99 on a Gillette head and not cut yourself and also shave your pubes without worrying about aids from a tinder slut getting her juices all over your cut up crotch

boii you got into the right shit. I first got in to straight razors with a cheapo dovo (literally cost a dollar with some razors, but its a bootleg and i'm not sure you can find something like it in american markets). Im guessing you guys call it a shave-ette. With that, i bought a can of barberelle shaving cream and thats about it. After i really got in, i bought a shave set at wallgreens, (soap, brush and bowl for 12 dollars). Then as I went up in the ranks, Got myself a Dovo Best Quality, not the best but didn't break the bank. and i purchased some Taylor of old bond street soap and some colonel conks soaps, along with a aluminium bowl and a badger brush.

any questions?

Shaving good doesn't have to be expensive. It can be as cheap as buying a $25 Parker or Dovo shave-ette and learn with that, and if you're feeling up to buying better stuff, go with whats traditional.

Just last year I got my dad into better shaving (the guy who's supposed to teach you) and in that year, wise spending and a good hand has made each shave cents on the dollar.

The fuck are you talking about? Safety razor shaving is way cheaper than shillettes.

Razor = ~$20
Brush = ~$10
Blades (100) = ~$20 (will last you more than a year if you dry them after each shave.)
Shaving Cream + Aftershave = Whatever you're willing to spend. I use this stuff called Dirty from Lush and some basic moisturizer and it's fine.

So now for a one time purchase of ~$50 you have all the shaving hardware you need for at least 5 years if not longer.

went electric last year. no regrets.

Ma nigga knows what he's talking abou

ooooohhhh..... fuk yo shit up senpai?

amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PWSEAXY4UGPY

OP here. This is what I found earlier while searching. It definitely seemed I could get something like that and spend a lot less than a straight razor, but my main question was then about the closeness of the shave. Is the straight razor any closer? If not, I think I'd be inclined to go for the safety razor.

Safety razor shaver. I experienced significantly less irritation.

If you want to try it out on the cheap, get a boar or badger brush (because you can use this without a safety razor), Weishi 9306, and a soap like the Prorasso.

t. retard

Do you trip over your own feet?

Not sure as to closeness just because I started out with straight. But in all fairness, straight is more of a ritual and you have to dedicate some time to it to get the closeness you desire. I usually exfoliate before i shave and in 2 passes i get the babyface i want. Maybe safety can give it to you in one pass.

Even so, going to blade changing systems is better in the long run, buck wise and healthy thinking

Straight razors can get closer, but they really aren't worth the trouble in both learning how to use and maintaining. Just make more than one pass (lathering up in between each), like one with the grain and one across the grain.

That's currently the one I use. The closeness has a lot to do with blade length as well.

amazon.com/Superior-Premium-Platinum-Personal-Healthcare/dp/B00EXPTR0W/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491259719&sr=1-1&keywords=astra

I grabbed these blades ($10 for 100) and they work fine and each one lasts me a while (I don't shave daily though). For a budget shave it won't be the closest in one pass. Best way to do it (imo) is to do a shave going with the grain, then reapply cream and do another pass going against the grain. Certain locations on your face grow hair in different directions (depends on person) so finding the way it grows and altering your direction for that particular area will be the main part of the close shave.

For example:
- Cheeks: Down (with grain)
- Jawline: Towards Chin aka sideways (with grain)
- Neck: Up (with grain)
- Reapply shaving cream
- Repeat 1-3 in opposite directions (aka cheek is now upwards against grain)

For any specific techniques (how much pressure, what angle, etc) just look on youtube at a few videos.

I have an electric razor but I'm not a big fan. I tend to get bumps from using it on my neck. It does my face okay, however, but it isn't a very close shave. Maybe if I upgraded it would be better, but I mostly use it for touch ups and for the beard trimmer.

amazon.com/Dovo-Shavette-Finish-Straight-Holder/dp/B007PCM87O/ref=sr_1_12_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491259903&sr=1-12&keywords=shavette

me again, if straight interests you, go for a good shavette, maybe this one

Oh and in regards to health, I'm just saying that because I used to use Gillete Machshits and would get nasty rashes after shaving, Maybe because I was forced to use the same head for 5+ shaves before I could get a new one

Also this is the brush I use (currently $9). If you look at the little combo thing at the bottom you can grab a bowl and a stand (I recommend the stand for drying out the brush and not flattening, but not necessary). I don't personally bother with a bowl since I can use literally any other container. And like everyone else said, Safety razor > Straight. It's safer, easier, and just as good imo. Have fun!

amazon.com/Perfecto-Original-Shaving-Engineered-methods/dp/B00LDYFGFQ/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491260051&sr=1-1&keywords=perfecto

Thanks Veeky Forumsm, I'm getting a safety razor, set of 100 razors, badger brush, and some other shit now.

Dont forget a good soap.

amazon.com/Col-Conk-Shave-Ounces-Variety/dp/B0071B7XCO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491261212&sr=8-1&keywords=colonel+conk&th=1

amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bond-Street-Sandalwood/dp/B00158S4RM/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491261240&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=taylor+of+old+bond+street&smid=AMAE8K0LRQPCN&th=1

The taylor of old bond street may seem a bit expensive but it comes with a wood bowl that'll last an eternity.

yeah, i had a bad experience with electrics causing irritation and just not giving a clean shave. switched to wet shaving with cartridge blades for a decade plus. but i never enjoyed it and would regularly go 2, 3, 4 days between shaves. so i splurged on a series 9, thinking i'd be more likely to shave daily if i could do it while multitasking in the morning... and that turned out to be the case. now getting a daily close shave, no irritation, while scrolling through email. couldn't be happier.

i like the idea of a daily wet shave and a well-considered ritualistic experience, but i'm way too fucking lazy to bother honestly.

I for the life of me cannot get a good shave on the contour where my neck meets my chin (to one side of the addams apple / windpipe).
Any tips?

Angle of attack is the one way to get some stubborn hairs. Feel with you fingertips what way the hair grows and shave in the other direction (of course, after shaving with the grain)

I personally have trouble there too. and since im on straight, its ten times harder than with a cartridge or a safety. Maybe try to exfoliate too so the hairs aren't as thicc and the blade can grab then

Since I still have a bunch of Gillette razors left over, even after I get my safety razor I'll probably be going to my Gillette for the really tough contours. Just like I use my electric razor on my mustache area because its difficult to get an against the grain stroke.

>I'm getting tired of spending big money
>Money is no object
thought-provoking

and your balls, dont forget your balls

Are you literally retarded?

Shaving using only cold water with a safety razor: can it be done?

bad idea son

lmao I know exactly who you're banting on reddit here. Also Sieg shut the fuck up you're fat and clearly now retarded if you think this.

don't buy a shavette, bad advice
bad advice, do not get a boar or badger, get a cheap synthetic to start out OP. Only go boar/badger if you're a hobbyist, the actual good ones are more expensive
DO NOT BUY A SHAVETTE
piece of garbage brush, get a cheap synthetic OP, bad advice. A bowl is largely unnecessary (face lathering is preferred by most) and a stand is completely unnecessary as a brush can dry standing up.
Both not that good, Col Conk is shit soap and TOBS is meh-tier at the very most. More bad advice.

Why are these threads consistently filled with posters who have no fucking clue what they're talking about..

Idk why this post is giving me a (You) when I didn't write it

I shave cutthroat. Takes a bit longer for me than with safety but maybe that's just me. The shave is good.

Larry over at whippeddog sold me some cheap gear.

It's been previously confirmed that Sieg is in fact retarded.

>bad advice, do not get a boar or badger, get a cheap synthetic to start out OP. Only go boar/badger if you're a hobbyist, the actual good ones are more expensive

I feel like lathering up with a brush is a pleasant experience regardless of whether or not your using safety razor, and is something you can use even if you don't like the safety razor. Therefore, I think it's worthwhile for a beginner to splurge on a nicer brush

I dont wanna get into details of my mulatto hair, but should I use a straight razor to cut my side burns? Ive been using regular safety razors but I feel like a straight razor is more accurate in the shape I want.

2017 and kids still fall for the "art of wet shaving"

the marketing people of de razor brands must be really proud

2008 bladeandbadget called, they want their meme back

>tfw able to grow full facial hair relatively easily
>tfw LOOK WORSE than when I'm clean shaven when I have stubble or a full beard

Literally forced to shave or else I look older (and not in a good way) or homeless.

red pill me on straight razors

PROTRIP

TRIM YOUR HAIR WITH A TRIMMER BEFORE SHAVING, LIKE SUPER LOW

IT GUARANTEES A CLOSER SHAVE AND LESS IRRITATION.