Leather Care

So last night I ordered a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and started researching leather care. Holy shit did I go down a rabbit hole.

What do you anons use on your leather boots/shoes? Should I use polish on pic related of just stick to conditioning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cY6lX2MigBc
theshoesnobblog.com/polish-your-shoes-properly
youtube.com/watch?v=KGe75OaF6gI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is my thread but what I'm truly proud of is this PLEASE RESPOND here.

horse piss

I've had a pair of Frye's for two years in which every now and then I'll rub mink oil on it. They still look baller.
I think it depends on whether or not you want your leather to look worn or not. If you do, just do the mink oil. If you want them looking brand-spanking new, use polish as well

Fuck you for bumping in less than 40 minutes. Use KiWi Lotion.

Collonil
pricey but well worth it

The Walking Company leather shoe wax for water and salt protection.

Did you size down whole size or a half?

my issue with iron rangers is that they look great on their own but dont go well with my levi's 510s, they make my feet look huge

Spit shine

>trying to make your feet look smaller than they are
you have to be 18+ to post, dipshit

Saphir Renovateur, followed up by Pommadier; both applied with a flannel rag.
Also, when you use a brush, actually buff your boots; don't be afraid of brushing too hard.

0:54-1:12
youtube.com/watch?v=cY6lX2MigBc
That's what can happen when you're too gentle, regardless of what type of wax you use.

that guy is only worried about keeping polish on his dress shoes
OP wants to know about how to clean / condition the leather

seriously, this shit is pricey, but it will bring crusty leather back to life

>that guy is only worried about keeping polish on his dress shoes
My point was that you shouldn't be a little bitch when buffing your shoes. Otherwise you end up with white flecks all over the creases (which happened to me the first time I polished my boots).

What's the right way to fix scuffed toes?

there's no real way to fix them. You can use some colored wax to cover them a little and make them the same color of the rest of the leather, but you'll never cover them a 100%.

Damn that sucks. I have big feet and often scuff my shoes on stairs

>mink oil

Clean off with lexol leather cleaner.

Condition occasionally with lexol (it's a pure neatsfoot from pork bones).

Optional: use wax based conditioner on toe, heel, and welt.
Obenaufs
Obenaufs oil
Leather honey
Dayton OK oil
etc

Fryes are complete shit. I'm sorry you fell for the meme. Buy some real GYW, leather insole, American leather boots like Truman, Allen Edmonds, Alden, Viberg, or Dayton.

Even redwing uses shit quality glued-together leather insoles now.

Usually some oil and/or wax will smooth down the fibres. If it's good leather it'll almost heal.

>American
>Viberg
wew lad

the same bro, but there are some leathers that resist more, like waxed leathers. That shit is immortal.

can we keep this going plz?

I just use Bick 4 on everything. Polishing casual/work shoes is dumb imo.

Dayton is Canadian, too.

Can you explain why fryes are shit? I was thinking of buying a pair.

Coconut oil.

I bought some 1000 Mile boots and I don't think I'll ever need to clean the, because I'm too afraid to wear them outside. Madness. Genuinely terrified of getting them dirty. They probably the most rugged footwear I own and I'm treating them like a delicate flower.

t. sideshow bob

>tfw size 13 at 5'9

I have to be careful when I pick shoes. Not only am I short, but when I wear certain shoes my feet look even bigger than normal.

I would never be able to pull these shoes off.

nobody looks at your feet, man
from far away, you'll look shorter depending on your outfit, but it doesn't matter if you have big feet

I don't know man...I look in the mirror and I legit feel like I'm wearing clown shoes. My feet look super long compared to my height lol.

Red Wing's got leather care products for all the different types of leather they've got.

You know you guys don't have to wear faggot pants 100% of the time, that's why you're feet look big.

I use lard or tallow to condition my boots, after a few coats being massaged and melted in a seal them with beeswax to waterproof them.

Saphir + shoe trees

Every single pair of my leather shoes have lasted for years on just this regiment, and are going strong without the slightest cracking marks

Just use regular shoe polish OP(scuff clean, apply polish, scuff and buff with cloth). I've used that on both my 1000 miles and iron rangers for years and have had zero problems.

Pic related is all you need. I've been using the parade gloss variety lately as it's what's available near me. Don't listen to people trying to shill $50 'high fashion' tins of polish.

just obernauf's heavy duty, which is bee's wax.

I use a cream polish all over every week or two. Then a wax polish on the toe and heel to get a mirror finish.
theshoesnobblog.com/polish-your-shoes-properly
This is how you get a mirror finish. It takes a long time first get it, but maintaining it is easy. Use saddle soap to remove stuff you don't want on your boots, e.g. you used too dark of a polish and don't like the new color. To get rid of scoffs/scratches use wax polish. Every few months use a leather conditioner. Buy some shoe trees, wood type doesn't really matter and the harder it is to get the tree out the better.

youtube.com/watch?v=KGe75OaF6gI
commentary is muh but video is good to see the procedure

Chippewa's or Red Wings?

Bump

Chipps are a little more beatery, redwings are a little dressier.

I would also like to know, I'm in the same boat.