Is it really necessary to drop 800+ on a leather jacket?

Is it really necessary to drop 800+ on a leather jacket?

This one is 130 dollars and all the ratings and reviews on amazon say that its good and heavy leather which makes me think about what makes other jackets like the Schott be so much more expensive when they both are made out of real leather

Other urls found in this thread:

ysl.com/us/shop-product/men/ready-to-wear-leather-jacket-classic-motorcycle-jacket-in-black-leather-and-sequins_cod34648374sv.html
keepshooting.com/german-leather-police-jacket.html#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally just buy a used one. this is not a difficult concept.

>Is it really necessary to drop 800+
Yes!

why? both looks the same

They will not age the same, won't feel the same and won't fit the same on an actual body.

so the leathers are different?

I thoguht there was only real and fawx leather

There's different methods of tanning animal hides to make them leathers, also there's many "genuine" leathers that are not even real leather.

keep in mind that a positive review means that person was happy with it shortly after buying. It does NOT mean they looked good in it, nor does it imply that it will last, even if they did.

>Is it really necessary to drop 800+ on a leather jacket?

YES and no.
No because you can get something second-hand that was expensive/first rate when it was new.
If you're buying new then then you should absolutely expect to spend that much.

leather comes in several different grades, the worst usually called something like "genuine" leather.

>unironically wears a leather jacket
>doesnt ride
>mfw
lul@u

if you are going to unironically wear one without riding, any riding jacket will be infinitely higher quality than a "fashion" grade jacket. riding leathers are meant to survive 80mph+ abrasion on a rocky surface, fasion leathers are meant to survive walking down the street. guess which one lasts longer

Leather jackets aren't all intended for riding, though. They never were.

>fashion doesn't change
if you wear a leather jacket in contemporary times without riding a motorcycle, you look like a fag. this becomes exponential once you are near an actual biker/motorcyclist wearing a leather jacket

sorry to burst your bubble

>If I aggressively assert my wrong opinion then I become right.

Not really m8. Just admit your knowledge of fashion is quite limited. Even today not all leather jackets are based around motorcycle jacket styles so you're simply wrong about that.

The better thing to bully people that want to wear leather about is how they are cuckfaced and will never look good in leather. With these posts you can add choice pictures like that smug, baby-faced guy trying to pretend to be a greaser in a perfecto jacket.

I ride and have both leather and textile jackets and have to wear them almost daily depending on the weather. I have many motorcyclist friends who also wear leather jackets. Amongst us, who are by no means the end-all be-all authority on fashion, it is agreed that wearing a leather jacket without riding looks laughably autistic. If you look old and grizzled it would most likely look fine, but if you are a younger guy who isn't gear that would be something normally found on a motorcycle, it looks dumb. Leather jackets have a connotation of being worn by bikers and badasses. Wearing one with chinos, all stars, and a shirt looks stupid.

If you don't look like a biker or a badass, it doesn't look right. Similar to wearing a full suit everywhere, if you don't look like a businessman it looks fucking retarded.

how can you not understand this?

autistic beta

So you're saying if I wear a leather jacket that is clearly not intended to even look like a motorcycle jacket nor hold up to the stresses of falling off a bike - you think I should be wearing it on a bike or else I'm a fag?

That's silly. But I think we are arguing when we mostly agree. My POV is that almost no one should be wearing leather outside of riding.

Where my POV differs from yours is that I am asserting that not all jackets are biker jackers and I think that it's ridiculous for you to think they are.
And also that a gifted few can wear those non-biker leather jackets and look good.

I'm not one of those, by the way.

post a pic of a leather jacket that you have in mind, and i'll give my opinion on it. i could very well be wrong and there could be nice looking leather jackets that don't look dumb that I haven't seen yet

I could see a brown leather looking more acceptable than black, though dont let it influence your choice

pic

By the last line in my post I meant that I would not look good in leather.

People can do leather blazers and bombers successfully, among others, and those aren't riding jackets.

just googled a bunch of leather blazers, they look autistic even by normie standards

leather bombers make whoever is wearing them look like a major tryhard

they just dont look good man, unless you have a bike they exude "i want to look tough but have nothing to back it up". if you think this is untrue, start slapping up some pictures of guys in leather fits that look good

Explain to me how having a bike makes the blazer make more sense.

By the way, my theory on why leather doesn't look good is not lack of bikes. It's modern living.

In that a man that lived a sedentary lifestyle through childhood and adolescence and ate mostly soft food does not develop the same face as a man that played outside, played sports, ate tough food.
If a guy with a cuckface becomes an operator and then after his service he becomes a longshoreman that also rides bikes semi-pro: he still has a cuckface, right?

The guys that look good in leather today are the ones fortunate enough to escape cuckface.

>implying riding a motorcycle isn't massively gsy

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Average leather jacket wearer

Baby face
Grease haircut

Boooo

>riding a bike makes you tough

Skinny fags shouldn't wear leather jackets.

Negan fag

go outside

not an argument

you should only wear leather jackets if you're skinny

nah, buff and skinny guys looks equally fine, skinny is for model look and buff is for badass look

>Is it really necessary to drop 800+ on a leather jacket?
>800+
You are not yet enlightened.

ysl.com/us/shop-product/men/ready-to-wear-leather-jacket-classic-motorcycle-jacket-in-black-leather-and-sequins_cod34648374sv.html

Dude, there is a whole world of different gradients of leather quality that you have yet to learn about.

w2c

Why is that piece of shit so expensive?

My 20 dollar jacket looks way better than this

You faggots are getting jewd so hard

u won't afford so dw about it

wear it with the inside out and call it normcore

>Wearing a leather jacket
Unless you're a 8/10 or higher girl you can't pull it off and you'll just look beta

>ifunny
>filthy frank
no wonder you're such a pleb

Get a nice one and take care of it. Good leather will outlast you. Think about the kind of leather you want. Lamb, calf, synthetic, etc.

>everything about this post

Has to be bait.

Looking good, man. ::thumbs::

Its not they're just dumb

>buff and badass look
cringe

I found out this jacket is top grain leather which according to my research is the second best leather so it still doesnt make sense to pay for something thats 10 more expensive only because it feel better to the touch

>buying a leather jacket from amazon

>all the ratings and reviews on amazon say that its good and heavy leather
the people ordering 130 dollar leather jackets don't know shit about leather jackets so it's fair to assume they are just straight up wrong

This. They usually look better used anyway.

So we're doing the MFA "your clothes have to match your lifestyle" thing again are we? Don't forget to match your belt to your bike.

Excellent advice desu

Yeah, don't do that.

>this thread

>cringe

cringe

the only one that doesn't look like shit itt

your taste is shit

True, you kind of have to look for reviews with updates after a few years but not a lot of people do that.

If you get a quality jacket you'll enjoy wearing it more. And you can resell it easier if you want something else.

Me to be honest
[spoiler]Though it doesn't fit because it was my father's before he passed away[/spoiler]

>>cringe

>cringe

cringe

very wrong

i thought slp leather was a meme until I tried a few jackets on at an slp store

that shit feels so ridiculously luxurious, would totally cop if i had the money

I feel bad even posting this in such a terrible thread, but leather is one of the most versatile materials available. Pretending you have to be a faux badass biker to wear a leather shirt or jacket is autistic, and pretending you can get anything that looks presentable (and that will last for more than a month) for

this is what a real motorcycle jacket looks like you inbred fuckwit

no leather is going to survive the friction of flying off a bike at 80 miles an hour. YOU would be lucky to survive at all

>not spending a minimum of 5 figures on your leathers

top pleb

eh, Balmain is still better, and less memey

this thread is so funny

like are the people saying you have to spend that much trolling or just retarded

yes something more expensive will look better, last longer, and be higher quality

but if you just want something that will last a couple of seasons and you aren't committed to dropping £2k and wearing it for life there are loads of great cheap options, particularly in the used market

there are tonnes of people wearing cheap leather jackets that still look great because they fit well and match them with their other clothes well

feel like Ive been baited even replying to this shit but w/e

never tried on balmain

i'd like to though, they look nice

they are amazingly nice

thicker than YSL but more supple in my experience

squid detected
that mesh is gonna hold ur armour inserts in place real good til it touches a mildly abrasive surface at 5mph
shit like in your pic is really only good for low speed impacts (really fucking low), if you take it for any sort of slide then i see skin grafts in your near future
there's a reason people race in leathers, leather is still perhaps the best material to be sliding along the asphalt at any given speed

>imitation perfecto

yuck

i respect your opinion, what is it that you don't like about it?

I just don't like things that are made to imitate other things and do a substantially worse job at it. These are probably decent quality jackets but they should come up with their own cut. Ripping off YSL or Balmain is just tacky. You have the belt, the shoulder epaulettes and the small key pocket, but no thought went into their placement or construction. They're just there to get that look. Likewise with the flared lapels.

I think I can see where you're coming from, what you say is perfectly reasonable but you have to remember that this blk dnm jacket was $995 and ysl and balmain is what, upwards of 4k?

If they were similarly priced, I could agree 100%

buy this
keepshooting.com/german-leather-police-jacket.html#

But price is primarily a reflection of material/labor cost plus brand prestige surplus charge. There's no cost related reason why you can't have somebody sit down a sketch an original cut for your jacket, or at least something that's not such a point for point rip off. It's like how the Russians copied the B-29 down to last bolt, including all the defects of their model. It's just insipid.

I've certainly seen worse looking jackets, usually in the sub-500 dollar range. I'm just not a fan of a reference piece, something that's deliberated made as "our version of" etc. Have some originality. You can still make a quality product without borrowing somebody else's aesthetic. Leave shitty knock offs to Zara and that lot.

Like the beaded pull tabs on the zippers. That's a neat look. It also makes the piece distinct. More stuff like that. How about a round buckle on the belt, or even a square one? Why do the same rectangle and pin configuration? There are a million ways to build a belt. Maybe roll the ends of the lapels over themselves or something. Fuck man it's not that damn hard.