Which group was historically the most Veeky Forums?

Which group was historically the most Veeky Forums?

Do you feel like fashion is much more limited today than in the past?

jfc what stupid, boring, impossible questions to answer

So you're too stupid to answer?

The discussion starts with you op. Who do you think was the most fashionable? It's an interesting question as rick Owens references traditional silhouettes.

Cultures that value prestige and spirituality over practicality so nips and most of ancient east asia, no fucking question. /thread

I think that the feudal societies of the medieval period struck a balance between practicality and aesthetics, creating cultures in which beauty was a virtue and end in itself.

The age of monarchies and feudalism definitely gave extreme importance to fashion and will probably never occur again.

The Romans, from any time period in fact, managed to look well attired in their gear. I prefer the later Roman Empire periods between the 200s through 500s, rather than the lorica segmentata era (1st century through early third). I guess it's because I almost always see Roman reenactors portraying early to mid imperial legions, and the idea that the late Romans mostly wore trousers appeals to me. This picture is of the Legionis Herculiani Seniores.

Another example of a later Roman soldier, of the Comitatenses legions.

The earlier Republic period of Rome had very interesting gear for their soldiers. The Triarii:

>those legs
hhnnnnnggggg

15th century is rarely brought up in these threads but it's probably the most Veeky Forums period in history. Baggy tops/skinny pants all the way.

the nazis

/thread

I am really happy somebody made this thread. Historical fashion is one of my obsessions. To me i prefer rococo or 18th century fashions. And yes of course modern fashion sucks. We are a throw away society now. The fabric and aesthetic is shit.

without the invention of mass production a simple cotton shirt would cost £2000 in materials and labour costs.

this is the same guy who enters Favorite Movie threads and types in the dark knight (2008)

I don't see many people today looking anything like the other cultures pictured, but I still see pic related, even in a northern big city once in a while.

A style largely stolen from Mexican, stolen from Spanish.

all you post high class, Slavs 19 th century are dope.

Fem user here.

obviously the Landsknecht mercenary, they fucked shit up, and looked fly doing it.

Ancient Greece

The Greeks, obviously.

What's this type of foot binding called and where can I find more?

I hate how people are completely ignorant of or just shit on the late legions. If the square scutum, gladius and segmentata were the end all choice in hear they would have stuck with it till the end. But really the equipment of the late legions was more versatile and just as effective against enemies. And undoubtably more effay. I especially love the look of lorica squamata

*gear

>Do you feel like fashion is much more limited today than in the past?
no are you insane? this is the first time in history anyone can wear anything from any time period and combine whatever they want

Definitely Carthaginians.

French always had the best military uniforms.

S E X Y
A
X
O
N
S

freedom =/= no constraints

Putee

>If X were the end all choice in hear they would have stuck with it till the end.

Not to whom you're replying but is this a rule we can apply generally?
From my limited knowledge it seems like a lot of changes in arms and armour through history may have been part fashion, part wealth and capability of the particular group etc.
Weren't there a fair amount of sword design blunders, for instance?

>tfw no winged hussars

Best example of sacrificing mobility and comfortability for fashion and looking awesome.

As far as the Romans go, there's a few reasons I can sort out why they switched equipment around the third century ad. First, they were focused more on skirmishing against raiding parties, and border defense, which was mainly handled by auxiliary troops. So, instead of having the normal legions hanging around not doing anything, they gave everyone the rounded or oval shields, and longer spatha instead of the gladius so they could work in that role better. The square scutum and short swords were really only good in tight formation, in an offensive role during pitched battles, which didn't happen so often after the empire stopped expanding. They also faced much more heavy cavalry than the early imperial legions had to deal with. Longer swords, and normal spears instead of the flimsy pila gave them a bit of a reach advantage to keep cavalry at bay. The round shields would let them lock together to form shieldwalls, while being better suited to individual fighting than square scutum. Also they had to deal with nearly endless civil war, so I suppose that the old style of fighting led to too many casualties on both sides? Maybe the change in equipment and allowing for a bit longer range of attacks might have been intended to mitigate casualties?

100% agree

>tfw qt walks by and her clothes cost more than your entire lifes savings

Japanese Emperor wearing the clothes of the Order of the Garter, one of the conditions of the Anglo-Japanese alliance was that the Emperor would be made a member of the Order.

That archer's shirt is great

It's also a question of economics, available materials and tools, specific demands of the country and battle. It's not some video game stat comparison.

Exactly. Against the kinds of people Rome was facing in their later years (heavy cataphract cavalry, endless raids from barbarians, one civil war after another), they couldn't keep going without some restructuring of their military. The late legions simply used what was best for that point in time.

Spot on

you can't /thread your own comment faggot

What does Veeky Forums think of zouaves?

bumping interesting thread with some OG qt aryans from Kashmir.

Go on...

There's no better or worse equipement. They changed it because it wasn't appropriate anymore for the new ways of fighting.

Fucking weeb

>not going with 1830s

The fuck were Americans doing?
The middle one looks very fuccboi-esque

these two are best in thread