State of Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums is a really bad board at the moment. It was never all that great, but it's really awful right now. Is it moderated at all/do we have any janitors here?

Veeky Forums is the kind of board that needs tight moderation. A lot of threads seem to be from people coming here for the first time, or straight from other boards. If a lot of the trash threads could be deleted small questions could be posted in a general thread. It's important to do this because the board is so slow, it's easy for it to become cluttered with shit threads that move at a snails pace but stay up because a single bump breathes new life into it.

Right now we have tumblr, mom didnt buy me yeezys, what does Veeky Forums think of x, where to cop x, second life, face rate, sneakers all on the front page. It's shit.

If other boards have stricter rules on low-effort threads why can't we? It seems like we gravitating towards a scenario where all threads are just a question with the poster looking for some kind of confirmation or validation. When you start a thread pls have something to contribute.

I know this is another shit thread and I'm sorry to be posting it but I'd genuinely love to hear from people how we might be able to make this place a better and more interesting community.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/effay/wiki
the-tangibles.com/blog/cut-sew-project-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trash posters = trash threads

who fucking cares
go outside and make some friends

>If other boards have stricter rules on low-effort threads why can't we?
I'm convinced you don't actually go to other boards.

I think even a little light moderation would vastly improve the state of Veeky Forums. Even if all that happened was deleting "Is [something] effay?" threads. This would nonetheless improve the state of the board.

Fucking all these fit and streetwear invading my board.
And the fucking trannies with their thinspo. Fuck
This board isn't about fashion anymore it's about
>muh normie core
Board purge is needed

The biggest problem of Veeky Forums is their user base.
Even a year ago we use to have Rog / runaway/techwear threads etc... they left.
Now is just anons making the same thread over and over again,about basic stuff. Asking if they should cop a white sneaker, supreme, Veeky Forums youtubers etc...
It looks like that only newfags are able to make new threads....

If you want it to change: update sticky and any newfag thread is deleted, go to the fucking sticky
Threads should go to the right place: supreme jordans bla bla bla -> fuckboy general
w2c stand smiths and a yellow jacket -> w2c thread etc....
After having everything organized like in other boards, try to find good posters, cause now we have non.
>inb4: I'm a crappy poster too.

>Complaining about thinspo
You're a new Veeky Forumsg

>m-muh thinspo
he is right tho
fuck all to do with Veeky Forums, no idea why it's tolerated here really

Since when being fat is effay?
Never heard about heroin chic?
new fags know shit about Veeky Forumsshion.
That's why this board is dead....

It would go a long way to improve board quality if you morons didnt bump every thread where the OP pic is a cute girl.

Cute girls don't automatically make shit relevant to the board, this is what ruins damn near every board. STOP BUMP SHIT THREADS

>effay
there is that word again
should be instaban to begin with
it probaly isn't but then "being effay" has fuck all to do with fashion also

should be Instaban to anons that complain about Veeky Forums classic threads.
If you don't like it, leave Veeky Forums, instead of change it.
That's why old fags are leaving, because new fags want to change it

You haven't provided a single fucking reason why they shouldn't be just plain not allowed
>you must be new
>it's classic
nah fuck off m8, might as well allow any Veeky Forums threads as well, they are just as relevant

That trannies thinspo post belong in fit not fa
This board is basically filled with fit
>muh body stronk it's fashion
And fucking trap and Transgender
>no you need to be skeleton mode to be fashionable
Nomalfag coming from reddit r/streetwear sharing their fit which is basically the most common tshirt and jeans.
Some new fag browsing this shit hole asking shit question cuz they never read the sticky
And the minority who actually browse for fashion

Board is so dead even moderators left and now it's being ass fucked by every other boards

>"Never heard about heroin chic?"
I gave you an example.
Being thin is correlated with fashion.
Have ever seen a runaway show?
The majority of models are thin and there's a reason. Being thin helps you to achive certain body proportions (imagine golden ratio as an simpler way to explain).
Another example:
ysl look: you only can pull it off if you are extremelly thin, otherwise looks extremelly bad.
That's why you see thinspo on Veeky Forums, alot of fashion trends are correlated with being thin, is part of the look.
If you are into streetwear or whatever, probably don't need to be that thin, but in other styles you need.I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say.

I agree with you, this board is fucking dead.

this board is 100% lost as it's entire userbase is 16 and just doesn't want to look autistic in highschool
I'm pretty sure i'm the only guy over 20 here who owns legit designer gear that cost more than £50. I lurk the board out of habit now

If we get a mod/janitor to delete all of the basic threads covered by fuccboi general and w2c threads, as well as deleting threads andswered by the sticky, we'd have better content which would attract better posters.

This

>I gave you an example.
Heroin chic is fashion
thinspo threads aren't about heroin chic though
same thing for runways, I would love to discuss those, thinspo ain't for that
your mental gymnastics are pretty entertaining to read
unfortunately still not fashion
I get why people might want some place to discuss that kinda shit but this isn't the place clearly

Better tweet Hoot.

You're not alone there's just very few of us

I think one of the problems why a thread about runways is so difficult, is because a lot of people are not able to analyze, criticize and discuss a show. Do they lack the knowledge to? Probably. The lack of interest is also a problem.

>not able
if anything we need to drop this kinda pretentious bullshit and advocate people just speak their mind honestly about what they think about runways for example
the kinda pseudo intellectual bullshit analysis is way fucking worse than reading honest no bullshit comments
and the latter often hit way closer to reality anyway
there is no 'lack of knowledge' because you don't need 2deep knowledge to share your thoughts
stuff like knowing about designers earlier work is good for reference but self referential shows are not common enough that something like that is something you need to know about

IDK what to think tbqh. I started browsing about 2 years ago in uni. Even through all the garbage threads I have been able to pick up on a lot of helpful info. Yeah the "Is __ effay" and "what shoes should i get" threads suck but I feel like they dont subtract from the good material, but rather dilute it. Like instead of having every thread on the first page be good I have to go back a couple. Idk tho. I probably have no idea what a super good thread actually looks like since im kinda new.

user go to discord.

So where should we get a mod for fa?

remove:
-/anorexia general/ aka thinspotism
-is x Veeky Forums, what should i do with my hair etc (only allowed in fuccboi)
-instagram, tumblr (lmao) threads

Done. Board would be fucking tons better.

fucking this
any social bullshit threads in general might as well go to /soc/ cause that's what the place is for, the faceapp threads are in every fucking board right now, they are irrelevant to everything

Also, there is 'use faceapp' with 45 posts from retard on the first page. Idk how it's related to fa.

>when the only good thing about this board is the sticky
Kek what happened

>Im pretty sure i'm the only guy over 20 here who owns legit designer gear that cost more than £50.
no you're not
The people who do just don't make it obvious and rarely post because they have better things to do

Veeky Forums is the worst board on Veeky Forums

there was that gucci runway thread that was really good. All you need is a few good posters and everybody else bounces off them. But this board is so shit it makes all the intellectual posters turn 180 degrees. Ban all the underage posters and update the sticky.

A lot of these runway thread die off. They mostly consist of image dumps without any discussion whatsoever. The question 'why do I like this' is not even answered. For that you need knowledge, you need to understand what makes an outfit come together and why the things you wore 10 year ago didn't a.k.a experience, you need to read fashion magazine articles, watch shows, read literature, visit musea, listen to music, watch movies, read the news, talk to authorities. It's a long process of learning and absorbing bit by bit and it's all readily available. With all that knowledge you'll be able to express your opinion on solid knowledge and reason, to see what the concepts and references are behind a collection. You'll appreciate the finer details as well, cuts and the way things are styled. You can't speak you mind, you can't answer that question, if you can't pronounce your thoughts. It becomes 'the kinda pseudo intellectual bullshit' if the opinion is not written in an accessible manner and if you don't invite others to talk with you about a runway piece.

:stopmusic:

:goodpost:

thank you, user.
the music is still playing, though.

While we're on the topic the sticky is shit and dated. I don;t know who would be in charge of updating it though. Perhaps it could be revamped collaboratively?

>to see what the concepts and references are behind a collection
but you don't have to understand any of that to give your impressions of what you just saw
most fashion isn't that complicated
I saw mocking comments about rick Walrus show that literally hit the nail on the head on what it was about and what he was doing with it. Anyone can answer if they liked something and what they just saw, dropping any pretense and just saying what's on your mind is not hard.

I know there have been some attempts in the past. Check warosu for that. What would you like to talk about? What does a person need to know before posting here? Maybe we can host some books and articles too?

github.com/effay/wiki

I'd say that's true because the whole appeal of Veeky Forums is that people have let go of their shame for the most part. They have hit rock bottom so the interactions have a perverse but refreshing honesty to them provided you are familiar with the customs and rituals with which the honesty is conveyed.
alone among the boards does Veeky Forums cling to their conceit of being in control of their lives.
It's all the pomp and circumstance of nihilism without any of the accompanying reflection.
All this would be fine if this board were made up of self-assured alphas who have it all figured out but we know this isn't remotely close to true.
It's scared shitless kids spending their parents' money trying to impress each other.
Anyway. As a result of the hipster-in-denial attitude that all Veeky Forums boards have, at least it introduced me to some interesting brands that I wouldn't have otherwise found out about.

this. the userbase is very clearly younger than almost any other board, and it's obvious even if you don't see all the "...at my highschool" or "i'm starting uni next year..." comments. every other thread is questions about h&m tshirts or $60 white sneakers--what normal people just go to the mall and buy like all their other friends, and don't need autistic anonymous users' opinions about.

The knowledge and understanding of fashion on this board is too low. That is the prime reason for it being bad. It wouldn't matter if everyone was from r/streetwear if they had actually become knowledgeable too but right now the amount of people who are interested in fashion but don't understand it well enough far exceeds the amount of people who are interested and understand it well. To attack this we need to help as many as possible learn as much as possible.

There are two good ways that should both be done at the same time. The sticky should be revolutionized, and good posts should be made by those who are knowledgeable. A good sticky will inform and put new people in the right mindset, and good posts will steer the entire discussion in good directions.
The sticky I don't know how we can change it, many attempts have been made but I feel powerless, I don't know if we can get an admins attention and cooperation. It would be super if we could accomplish something there though.

A good post is constructive and including but not afraid to be direct, and it is also expected from people receiving the eventual critique that they control their cognitive dissonance and don't freak out when they dont get only love and approval like on reddit. And good posts discuss fashion as an objective artform after qualities such as silhouette, material, cut, proportion, styling, craftmanship, texture, colour, mood, cultural inspiration and cultural relevancy, and also vision and direction. And a good post makes abstractions based on these factors so that other people witness these thought patterns and learn to understand fashion after its objective factors and qualities, not just thinking of fashion as dressing up in what looks good to yourself. Make good posts.

Good moderation is also heavily needed. Shitposts should be kept, it's part of the atmosphere, bait should be removed though. Shit threads should be deleted.

honestly all """face rate""" selfie whoring threads should be immediately banned. literally has nothing to do with fashion at all, and is just filled with insecure geeks desperate for some validation. there's usually not even any advice to give except lose weight and/or shave

>And good posts discuss fashion as an objective artform after qualities such as silhouette, material, cut, proportion, styling, craftmanship, texture, colour, mood, cultural inspiration and cultural relevancy, and also vision and direction. And a good post makes abstractions based on these factors so that other people witness these thought patterns and learn to understand fashion after its objective factors and qualities, not just thinking of fashion as dressing up in what looks good to yourself. Make good posts.
This for the most part is totally unnecessary pretentious shit, we don't need this kinda shit and the fact is this kinda fashion forum does not even exist online. None of this is really necessary for this place to be 'good'. It's a fucking Veeky Forums fashion forum not central saint martins, the average fag here doesn't necessarily find runways intriguing or want to discuss fashion as an artform but that doesn't mean he can't contribute and make good posts.
If anything this:
>not just thinking of fashion as dressing up in what looks good to yourself
Is what people need to realize better. Updated sticky and guiding people there would improve this board a ton. All it really needs is introduction to color coordination and silhouette aside from basic guides how shit is supposed to fit and pointers for basic wardrobe and this place would be lot better.

>This for the most part is totally unnecessary pretentious shit
No, it is not. It is what fashion is. People don't need to mention specific qualities in their posts but they need to understand it when they evaluate things. A better understanding is what every user on here needs to make the entire place a better environment. It is what makes fashion.

>not just thinking of fashion as dressing up in what looks good to yourself
Is what people need to realize better
You agree with this, which is the same as what I previously said that you disagree with. People looking at fashion beyond their own choices and wants and instead as something based on objective factors. I said the same thing just more developed first, so first you disagree and then you agree? It's because you somehow misunderstand what I mean

>No, it is not.
It is cause that is where you are drawing the line for 'good posters' no such online community exists, be realistic here. Again, this is Veeky Forums.

It is not where I draw any line. It is what I encourage

ngl, r/streetwear is better than Veeky Forums atm

*anything is better then Veeky Forums atm

then get the fuck out

That's why I'm in itt, because I'm old enough to know what this used to be.I want to make this hellhole better.

I said you had misinterpreted something, I know now what it was. This entire time you think I've been trying to set some standard of what a good post is, that I've been trying to draw a line where everything below is not good enough: that is not true at all. All I've been trying to communicate is what types of posts actually are good not where they are good only, so that people can have this in mind and be the change they want to see.

I feel there's way too much of a divide here. The people who care too much about being different from normal people and the people who care too much about wearing trends. There's gotta be a middle ground so people can stay current but still branch out to they're own shit. People don't realize that streetwear got some of its roots here, and everyone new or not is quick to attack it. While it is generally considered beginner tier, most people posting here are beginner tier. I really think we have to find a middle ground, so we are able to expose the new streetwear kiddos to higher fashion while the more avant-garde people can appreciate the occasional interesting outfit.

Most people here base their opinions on "Will Veeky Forums like this" and not on "do I like this". As long as you make internet fashion more important than your own opinions, you will never make it.

>All I've been trying to communicate is what types of posts actually are good
See, that's my point
that is ridiculous fucking standard for 'good post'
SZ which is probably the most concentrated fashion community of people who actually know shit has next to never discussion about 'art as fashion' or really anything you pointed there, just people shooting shit about clothes they like

It is not THE STANDARD
It is things to understand to INCORPORATE if you WANT and not the only way to have a good post
I'm Not setting a standard do you need me to say this again

okay
well still "advocating" that kinda posts or whataver is still bit silly, this is bottom of the barrel, we are on Veeky Forums, making Veeky Forums good takes lot less

Good post. I think the problem is people try too hard to fit in, and will end up looking like posers. It's fine to be inspired by a specific look, but I think you need to put your own unique spin on it and be confident enough to pull it off.

That being said, something about this bothers me fundamentally. Why do people decide to go along with trends and who decides who posers are and who isn't? For example, if I took up skating tomorrow and suddenly started wearing dickies and cut off jeans, would I be a poser? What about the people who skate and have that style who would call me a poser -- why aren't they posers too, as presumably they started wearing that style because they saw other skaters doing it before them. It seems to me like a kind of fundamental philosophical problem behind trends.

For example, I live in London and the whole thrifted/retro/wavey garms thing is big. I actually quite like that and have incorporated elements of that style into my everyday look. But I feel like I wouldn't completely switch to 100% that look because it seems fake to me, and like I am just copying other people.

>saying what can be improved and how in a thread about improving the board is useless

try and contribute instead of fighting me to death over a misunderstanding and then continuing to devalue my thoughts on improving the board. you put forth your own thoughts then, i have done something and you nothing

What problem do you see on this board? How can it be improved?

I don't think there is nothing wrong with going with trends or whatever, people do what what they do for their reasons, they don't need to explain shit to validate what they do.
But like if everyone starts wearing adidas snap pants with mustard yellow wifebeaters next year and you post a pic here with such fit, you have to understand the context and be self aware enough to know that there will be bantz and people will call you out. Like you know what you are doing exactly so you must know also how people might react and accept that. It's not that serious anyway, but if you get hurt by comments on internet maybe you don't have the confidence to wear something?

That's not what I said at all m8, don't put words in my mouff

>and you nothing
read my posts again, in pretty much everything I gave something, don't be too butthurt to not see that

It's shit like this that makes this board so fucking bad. You know people can give a shit about a fashion and still go outside and enjoy life right? Not everyone's content with mediocre discussion of streetwear as you. Fuck off newfag.

Theres a big difference between being into clothes and being into fashion, the issue arises from thr fact that most people and most teens especially just care about clothes

And there isnt anything wrong with that, maybe having a seperatr board for fashion would work but i doubt thered be enough people posting on it

I'm not really talking about people posting their fits online, I'm more curious about how and why people begin to adapt existing trends. It was a slightly off topic comment to the thread.

See
You are part of what's wrong with this board

You don't need to be into metaphysical bullshit to discuss fashion, I agree with that. However you need to be open to it, to be able to understand what others find appealing in that. Otherwise you're unable of keeping up on interesting discussions and you eventually end up shitposting because you simply don't get what others are trying to talk about

I saw a good example of that yesterday : someone was asking for alternatives to Guidi shoes. 99% of replies were "this shit is overpriced", "muh clown shoes" or "take zaras, they're the same" tier. I have nothing against people who hate on a particular style / piece / brand, as long as they have good reasons to do so. But here, their reactions were simply induced by the fact that they were absolutely clueless about those. They really did no get why they would appeal to anyone

I would have loved to see people criticizing this brand with relevant arguments and going into actual debate, even if that would have been off-topic. But it was only shitposts, because they did not have the knowledge to do so. And in my opinion, if you want to get this knowledge, at some point you need to understand the metaphysical bullshit that can surround fashion, which could be achieved by having people discussing those topics on a regular basis. So I wouldn't call it unnecessary pretentious shit, because such threads could actually participate to elevate the board. Get people into higher considerations that fuccboi general, and eventually make this place's community mode open-minded and interesting

That's sad as fuck if you really believe that. Because I swear r/streetwear is the cringiest fashion board I've ever seen

This, if Veeky Forums created a real fashion board, is going a really slow board. Good posters left Veeky Forums

No im not i just realize that shit cant be helped at this point times are changing

I drop by every once in a while and post a bunch of autistic paragraphs which people seem to appreciate but i do it for myself to organize my thoughts and connect the dots whenever i feel that i have enough points of reference to weave a dialogue or commentary about something

Then whenever i post nobody responds or people just respond stuff like "good post", they dont try to engage or ask questions or throw out some of their own opinions

Theres just too big of a divide, i dont know the people who post here so i cant help them find the experiences that would propel their interest in fashiom further its just futile

If youre meant to get it youll get it
If not then thats cool im not gonna try to put the time and effort into helping or whatever cuz im busy with my own life

the bottom line is, like most every board on Veeky Forums, its full of people shit posting and making memes. there arent many thoughtful posts talking about runway shows or different opinions on certain designers aesthetics, and discussing textures and fabrics and contrast and all that kind of stuff. Its like the art of fashion and the appreciation of it, is long gone from this board.

shit posting and memes are part of Veeky Forums.The problem is on Veeky Forums we only have entry level threads, something that should be on a sticker.
Reading the catalog is quite depressing, creating the same thread over and over again about basic things.
Ex: what jeans to cop under x amount, what white sneakers, etc.... stuff that should be on a sticker.

I agree, it is pretty cringey but there's a large portion of this board that is just straight retarded

I'm glad to see that many people here are in agreement with the fact that much of the posting on Veeky Forums is completely uninteresting.

A few years ago there were better threads. There was less: "facial aesthetics", less "thinspo", less "am i effay", less general bullshit. There was more: WAYWT, discussion about designer, discussion about trend, image dumps.

Of course, its Veeky Forums, there will always be shitposting. When done well and in proportion, general trifling on Veeky Forums can even be elevated to an art, but the way its done now? Just trash. Not clever or funny. There's been a general decrease in posts of actual content.

It's up to the members of this board to take ownership. Those of you who want to have a discussion about the philosophy of fashion, or of a specific recent runway show, or of the streetwear scene - what have you - YOU should post. Perhaps the only way to filter out the trash is to create good content again, and let the trash posting be relegated to page 10 and beyond. People WILL respond if you do a great image dump of an interior design, or of streetstyle, or new images of pale wave or what have you. Be original, contribute to good threads, don't respond to "rate my facial aesthetics effay" bullshit.

There is almost no place on the internet for discussion of fashion. When I say fashion I mean in the most broad sense. Other posters in this thread have argued over what this board should be - high fashion only, etc. In reality, fashion isn't just runway or high fashion concepts (that IS part of it, though), it is high fashion, it is streetstyle, it is the philosophy of fashion, it is predicting and analyzing trends, its CREATING trends, in jest and for real. Its experimentation, its taste, its inspo threads, its aesthetics.

I used to really like Veeky Forums. Personally, I really enjoyed the inspo and WAYWT threads, they helped me develop my taste. Not to mention learning about the high fashion world through other posters.

I still have hope.

This, great post user.

I'm not going to keep feeding you. I've bothered enough.

Did you even read the post I responded to? is literally "haha dont take the board so seriously bro its just clothes XD", given by people who don't care about fashion enough to discuss it. What does the post you quoted have anything to do what I said?

>fukken streetwear get out newfag

Yeah, I take it back, I realized what you meant after I made that post. I criticized streetwear because most people who make posts like are satisfied with fast fashion, and that's literally the antithesis of what Veeky Forums was made for.

My sentiment still stands though. Mediocre discussion of no depth is what's made this board absolute shit. If you're first reaction to someone wanting to improve the quality of this board is "go outside", Veeky Forums isn't the right place for you.

honesty I think it's a reflection of the times. It's less about what i like to wear, but more focused on ourselves and branded things. Did things like bape and yeezys exist back then? Did clothing companies do collabs on a weekly basis? I really think Veeky Forums is shit cause it mirrors today's society on fashion and how one dimensional it became.

>catalog
fa is really a mess right now
I don't think it was EVER great but its gotten worse than it was 4-5 years ago when we purged mfa to reddit

user bape was huge back them, when Kanye Pharrell etc wore it.
The problem is that know we only discuss normie tier clothes on a fashion board.The majority of threads are about basic jeans and t-shrits.

Nah this board just lacks people who are passionate about fashion. Every board on Veeky Forums is good because the average Veeky Forums user is so autistic that when he becomes interested in something his autism isn't satiated until he knows everything about it after being fixated it by it for ages, which is why every board is elitist af, or at least they used to be.

Even /tv/ which is basically just /sp/ let loose still has the odd kino thread now and then in which you can discuss literal works of art passionately with people who have seen over 3k films that aren't all capeshit.

I'd say about 10% of the current userbase of Veeky Forums is actually interested in fashion and of those 10% only about 2% will actually channel their autism into the medium of art that is fashion whereas the other 90% are just here to ask if they look dumb in their new t-shirt and fake yeezys that they bought to impress their PEERS who know fuck all.

We need to bring back elitism to Veeky Forums, stop the spoonfeeding and basically just eradicate the newfags by cyberbullying them until their autism kicks in and they either become one of us or leave to pastures less green but with softer fences

This will never ever happen though.

If you want better quality you can try reddit.

But Reddit is horrible.

(EDIT: Thank's for the Gold!)

I agree with you that thinspo isn't fashion. I just disagree with the implication that Veeky Forums is strictly a "fashion only" board.
There is a broader ethos here. Thinspo threads are quintessential Veeky Forums threads.
They take their subject matter to taboo extremes that would make more mainstream social media user bases feel uncomfortable.

r/streetwear is cringey but not because of the fashion they display there (which is no worse than what you see here on average).
What makes r/streetwear cringey is what makes reddit in general cringey: the saccharine obsequiousness in the responses and the quivering fear of offending someone (lest they relatiate, god forbid!).
I actually envy the effort some of their users put into their posts. This is a random example I just pulled off their fp
the-tangibles.com/blog/cut-sew-project-2
We can debate how good or bad the fashion itself is (I actually like it but the guy is a nip manlet with a giant head, dopey mustache and childish hairdo) but regardless it's hard to deny the meticulousness of the work behind it or the rationale with which it is made.

oh look it's the bi-monthly meta thread

kek'd

Hand over your mastik gum and common projects.
2 week ban for insufficient enthusiasm

I'm part of the 2% and I agree

From now on I'm gonna start posting under this trip and I'm not gonna be nice

>cyberbully
>not nice
Thanks for the explanation tripfag.

Take the keys to my ricks, I don't deserve them

shut up you stupid idiot

post a good fit or one grail worthy item you have or don't trip

Is this the best you got?
you're a joke, not good enough to be a cyberbully.

Oh boy. A new contender for the cyberbully trip arises

>tfw part of the 8%
>tfw will never be autistic enough to be a bona-fide fashion connoisseur