How much should I spend on a nice watch I can hand down to my son

How much should I spend on a nice watch I can hand down to my son

Other urls found in this thread:

fossil.com/us/en/products/machine-mid-size-chronograph-brown-leather-watch-sku-fs4656p.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That watch is ugly as fuck. Stay away from gold unless you're a nigger.

even pocket watches?

Whatever you can afford. You want an automatic or a manual wind, no quartz bullshit. A simpler movement (no complications like a day, date, chrono, etc) is probably wise. Decide what type of watch you want-a formal dress watch that needs a suit to pull off? Or a more casual look? The dress watch is timeless and will be less likely to get damaged due to the way it's used, but your son will have fewer occasions to wear it when he's young.

I'm sure your wife's son would appreciate a nice Rolex

A good automatic watch is what you want, something not gaudy or over the top and something that won't go out of style.

You're probably going to want to look at steel watches with a black/white/blue dial, and probably spend at least $5000 on it if it's something you want to be able to pass down.

You could get an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra for around $4800, a Rolex Datejust for around $5000 and from there in terms of classic styles you might want to look at things like the Audemars-Piguet Royal Oak, they start at around $16000+

I'd stay away from chronographs and other 'sporty' complications, maybe a moonphase or day/month indicator would be good though.

The final one I'd recommend is the Rolex Daydate II, it's a classic design but very pricey as they're only made from rare metals ( white gold, rose gold, platinum, etc. ) and don't do steel.

There's also Vacheron-Constantin, Patek Philippe & hundreds of others.

Veeky Forums here. You should spend at least 50% of your networth. Make him proud.

casio terrorwave, truly iconic design, unsurpassed reliability and it means more as an heirloom because it has no financial value. Expensive watches are for autistics and amateur golfers

I don't want any of my dad's stuff though. And I doubt your son would either.

i inherited a rolex from my dad, i love it. most people i know who inherited similar heirlooms feel the same way. i think it's a good idea

how much can you afford?

>manual wind
Why would you do this to yourself?

Otherwise yeah, pretty much this. More complications means higher costs, so keep it simple.

If you're looking for cheap(er) but good, try Baume et Mercier, Longines, or Frédérique Constant.

>Why would you do this to yourself?
because it allows the watch to be thinner, which is why it's most often found on dress watches. Besides it's a genuinely enjoyable habit to wind your watch every morning

There's a world of difference between a PP manual wind and the type of manual wind OP would be buying.

What brands are I have no idea what I am doing core?

Daniel Wellington, Tissot, Tag Heuer

Get this

Personally, I'd save up a few grand and get a steel and ceramic rolex. I'd never ever buy a precious metal/jewled watch since those depreciate like rocks sinking to the bottom of the ocean

patek is the only option so 100k+

fine timepieces arent that expensive, find a brand you like and see how much are you willing to pay for it.

I'm considering buying the Omega Dark Side of the Moon. Thoughts?

>A watch without the single feature that makes a watch remotely useful in modern society.

please

very nice watch. i think you'll be happy with it

Just pick something you like for your own sake and hopefully it's something durable enough and tasteful enough that it still runs and isn't out of style when your son is old enough to have it. I have two watches my dad gave me and one I inherited from my grandfather. They're nice watches but they were never super expensive to begin with and they aren't really worth a whole lot now. The value isn't what makes me like them anyway, it's the story behind each one.

I don't really care too much about style
I just want something that won't break

nailed it, any swatch brand basically

Veeky Forums here, used rolexes are your best bet. Flex for a few years and if your wifes son would rather have an applel watch like most brain dead millenials then you can probably sell it and break even or maybe even turn a profit

You can buy pretty decent Tissot, maybe they're not high end watches but don't compare them to DW.

Fuck that op needs to jam as much precious metal on/into himself as possible

thoughts fa?

i personally like it but idk how childish it looks or whatnot

>Tube socks + sandals tier

it's that bad ??

Yes

>Obviously cheap
>Matte black case
>Dial looks like shit
>Leather strap is probably bonded, stitching looks rough

Wearing no watch is better than wearing that watch.

the strap is genuine leather, steel casing; don't see what you mean about the dial but i guess matte black is a bit plain?

fossil.com/us/en/products/machine-mid-size-chronograph-brown-leather-watch-sku-fs4656p.html

if i don't drop 500/1000+ i should just not wear a watch?

>genuine leather
'Genuine leather' is a marketing term, doesn't mean shit. Leather has different grades and this is obviously crap leather.

>steel casing
Never said it was plastic, just meant that it's ugly

Adding insult to injury, you'd be paying $155 for a quartz movement. Save your money and buy a Casio instead.

>if i don't drop 500/1000+ i should just not wear a watch?
Unless you're genuinely interested in mechanical watch movements (you're not), yeah, just don't wear a watch.

yeah i literally just bought a casio before i saw this reply

i know fuck all about watches, i was just offended my taste is apparently that bad

No way dude, the rose gold Daydate with the green dial is straight fuego.