Can we have a thread about weird things that happend in history that nobody can explain?

Can we have a thread about weird things that happend in history that nobody can explain?

Starting this thread with

>The Roanoke Colony, also known as the Lost Colony, was established on Roanoke Island in late 16th-century

>The colonists disappeared during the Anglo-Spanish War, three years after the last shipment of supplies from England. Their disappearance gave rise to the nickname "The Lost Colony." To this day, there has been no conclusive evidence as to what happened to the colonists.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_put_Bella_in_the_Wych_Elm?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennington_Triangle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dahlia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysian_Mysteries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiserner_Mann
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Thunderstorm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_IX_Hispana
witn.com/home/headlines/Researchers-hopeful-that-NC-site-is-that-of-Lost-Colony-289071921.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Gigas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_civil_defense#Opposition_to_Cold_War_Nuclear_Civil_Defense
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollinwell_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Vault
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryse_(island)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gray_Man_(ghost)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_of_Newby_Church
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angikuni_Lake
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of_Celtic_Wood
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Horseman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juana_Maria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Colony
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Huge Network of Mysterious, Man-Made Caves in China

>In 1992, a man in the Chinese village of Longyou pooled his money with his neighbors to buy a water pump and began siphoning out the pond in his village, only to eventually discover that it wasn't really a pond at all, but the flooded entrance to an ancient, man-made cave. Upon investigation, it turned out that, rather than the entrance to Chinese Batman's secret lair, this cave was one in a network of 36 hidden chambers in the area, all dating back to the early Han dynasty, about 2,000 years ago.

>There are no documents whatsoever, at least none that have been discovered, that record the construction or purpose of the Longyou Caves, although the excavation would have been an immense, government-contracted project involving the movement of 900,000 cubic meters of rock. This is especially odd considering the ancient Chinese were meticulous record-keepers.

It's likely there was a massacre by Indians who dumped the bodies into the river.

My biggest unanswered question: what caused the Maya to decline?

The medieval snail meme, which remains unexplained.

Mayan civilization wasn't united under one ruler, so decline occurs when periods of war occur.

It seems like the Mayans ironically were terrible at planning. Their societies were a lot more chaotic than similar European societies.

I don't think it was a massacre or a mystery because in the Croatan tribe suddenly had some blonde haired blue eye'd injuns with names like "John"

ancient shitposting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_put_Bella_in_the_Wych_Elm?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

>No please, I have a family!

>Jesus

Who was his dad?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennington_Triangle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dahlia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysian_Mysteries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiserner_Mann
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Thunderstorm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

How the fuck is the Donner party incident unexplainable?

Pantera

Voynich manuscript is freaky. Probably the work of a schizophrenic t b h.

don't most linguists and cryptographers think it's a code?

But why snails?

Although I suppose historians in the future will ask themselves "but why a frog?"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_IX_Hispana

Sounds like somewhere to hide when the Northern Barbarians come knocking to me.

I would kill to know thee orgin of it and who wrote it

The only text from Atlantis

What are the theories on why? Escape bunker isn't the worst proposal ever but I don't know asian history well.

>Atlantis was in Renaissance Italy
I guess that's why we never found the place

Look up Ancient Aliens. It's a fun show

the pyramids were obviously built by ancient finnish rulers, not aliens

i live here, there was a big study a while back saying they fled ~50 miles inland to Bertie county and mixed with friendly indians there, or had a panic fort or something

witn.com/home/headlines/Researchers-hopeful-that-NC-site-is-that-of-Lost-Colony-289071921.html

It's most likely a planned necropolis or tomb complex.

The Qin-Han Dynasty was the last hurrah of extensive underground tomb-making a la egyptian style in China. Just check out the tombs of various Han Emperors, the famous Lady Dai, and Cao Cao's recently excavated tomb. Look at the walls of such tombs and they bear resemblance to how the rocks were cut in the Longyou caves Afterwards it was just meme temples dedicated to ancestors.

That's pretty fascinating, it's huge and ancient.
However for China caves are a relatively normal thing, they've lived in caves as long as recorded history. Still millions of Chinese live in caves.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

Pretty much the whole Amazon forest is apparently man-made

Makes me want to build a kiln out back so I can throw some bone ash in the compost.

You want to talk about Chinese caves and creepy shit? Well here's one that's p. scary.

One of Mao's crazier though (somewhat) sensible projects was to build massive complexes of underground shelters ready for a Nuclear showdown with USA (and then USSR).

These were huge, the size of cities, and connected some of China's major cities with each other. But afterwards the project was abandoned. They're also closed nowadays. But people still regularly enter and do lord knows fucking what within them. The one in Beijing though is pretty inhabited by small shops, brothels, and gambling dens.

Same as the USA. And the USSR. And the UK. So...? They act like a normal state with nuclear weapons.

The cave gap is not a joke.

Except US and UK bunkers are pretty much policed?

Also these werent meme tunnels but large spaced cut underground. And the chinks left it to people without bothering to seal em off.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg
>there was some space battle over earth at one point
>but due to the fact it happened in a time where we can't clearly document things it's now nothing more than a myth that no one will believe

>pyramids, which take a long time to build, were built by the Finns who had recently gained autism

That's true.

But in terms of tunneling, the weird thing about China is that these tunnels are only obscure, not secret.

>pro-tip
>before electricity there was a lot more ball lightning

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dahlia

What's so special about this?

it's a mystery

So? There's like a million of unsolved murders around the world. What makes her so special?

mutilated women don't often appear in busy parts of LA overnight, that coupled with the mystery made it majorly publicized

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Gigas

> dancing plagues
ERGOTISM
R
G
O
T
I
S
M

Go over to South America and you'll see this thing quite often

she was chopped in half

Just who the hell was he and how did he get away with it?

>Be serial killer
>Be careful
>Have simple MO: shoot people
It's the weird as fuck SAW-tier serial killers that really get caught.

Saved

>what kinda country you want senpai

> I want to be a cavalryman, as my father was

Dancing Plague
There is still zero explanation.

That one boat on Bouvet Island.

This is just a shitty urban legend/

What's the story?

There is abandoned boat un that island. Nobody knows why it is here.

wasn't he just a liar?

They found the horse and secret room where he was contained so he could be more than just a simple liar.

The PRC and USSR put a lot more effort into civil defense.

NATO more or less figured everyone was fucked if the bombs started flying.

But that's just a lifeboat left behind by the Norvegia expedition. Trust me, I know. I'm norwegian.

Nazca Lines
Dyatlov Pass Incident
Tunguska Event
How, specifically, humans made the leap from groups of illiterate ape clans to the first civilizations with literature and religious conviction

gaikowksi did it.

>humans made the leap from groups of illiterate ape clans to the first civilizations with literature and religious conviction
To call it a leap is a bold lie.

The "transition" then, you know what I mean.

>conlanging makes you a schizophrenic
please

Not so much as figured out as misled heavily by anti-nuclear factions in western society. An example:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_civil_defense#Opposition_to_Cold_War_Nuclear_Civil_Defense

>Claim that nuclear war is unsurvivable
>Interfere with attempts to make it survivable
>Make it unsurvivable

They can just check KnowYourMeme

> Dyatlov Pass Incident
Just camping gone wrong
> Tunguska Event
Meteor or meteorite.

ITT:

>Just camping gone wrong
m8 people don't just tear themselves out of their own tent and wander into the snow by accident, also the radioactivity is unexplained

Undressing, wandering into snow - Paradoxical hypothermia + delirium from any number of reasonable, natural causes
Broken bones - avalanche, normal hiking accident
Missing bodyparts - scavenging crows, foxes taking out soft tissues
Radioactivity - all is normal comrade, nothing to see here

Conspiracy explanation: Ruski military secretly tested minor incapacitating agents in the area, unaware that the hikers had ascended to the altitude of their detour. Toxicological analysis was not performed and artificial delirium from any number of agents, BZ for example, are totally plausible as factors influencing skin discoloration and strange behavior, while the reported orange glowing lights in the sky, metal shrapnel and extreme impact wounds are consistent with explosive ordinance distributing chemical bomblets or cluster munition.

>Radioactivity - all is normal comrade, nothing to see here
Not even. Radioactivity is a meme that got thrown into a lot of mysterious stories from the time to make it spookier. Odds are it was just added onto the account later to make it a better story.

Its more likely they just assimilated into the native populations.

Cryptoautist here

First time I went through it I got the feeling I felt from other such works since decoded.

I believe it is some form of extremely complicated and thoroughly convoluted language.

Making up a language is fun, try it yourself!

literally everything in this thread is aliens, how long can they keep denying it

when was LA ever located in South America

he's saying that women often get chopped up in South America, not that LA is in South America

>Green children of Woolpit
It was proven a hoax, they were most likely Flemish kids that were fleeing from war. The green tinge was from malnutrition. Literally says so in the article

What's so spooky about the Dionysian Mysteries? Unless you think they're somehow the work of some terrible dark god.

I desperately want this to be true. If we can make ONE fuckhuge rain forest, we can make more. Forests for everyone!

wu tang clan aint nothing to fuck with!

They were killed or absorbed by neighboring tribes while probably trying to escape a possible famine.

They carved "Croatoan" into the fence around their old settlement to indicate they were going to Croatoan, a nearby island with friendly Native Americans who would hopefully take them in after a likely massive crop failure (The cities of Manteo and Wanchese on the modern island is actually named after their two allied Native American chiefs, although Wanchese severed his alliance with the English after visiting England and returning home). The reason it was likely crop failure is because they had been instructed to leave a Maltese cross if there was violence causing their departure, but there was no cross and only the word of the place they were going.

After that some were ambushed and killed by Native Americans who were hostile to the tribes that the settlers had been trading with and converting. They stole their possessions and these were traded around the Chesapeake/Pamlico areas. Chief Powhatan actually showed John Smith some of their metal pots and pans he had acquired, which Smith knew must have been of English origin because of their make and the Native American's lack of metal and metalworking techniques. Smith claims that Powhatan says he ordered their deaths, but that may be untrue.

Meanwhile, the others who survived just adapted to living with the friendly tribes. Because the relief fleet returned to Roanoke (years late) right before a storm, they decided to leave and didn't search out Croatoan Island, which they clearly knew about based on their writings. So much time went by without contact from the English in the region that the survivors were probably just adopted by the tribe they had been allied with. This is supported by reported Native Americans with European features in the area decades later.

tl;dr the English totally left & forgot the colonists and they just lived with (or died alongside) their new friends

t. speculation the post

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollinwell_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Vault
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryse_(island)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gray_Man_(ghost)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_of_Newby_Church

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angikuni_Lake
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_of_Celtic_Wood
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Horseman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juana_Maria

what was that one murder of someone being followed by people in black suits in some Nordic country that was never solved?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_of_Newby_Church
Looks like a double exposure with a Halloween costume.

t. I didn't even bother to Google "The Lost Colony"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Colony

It is speculation. You can't know for sure that those people went with the natives to the island. You don't know if they breeded with the natives. But muh european features. Those could have come in from a later date. The word Croatoan could have been writen as a warning.

Croatoan was actually the name of Hatteras Island before the modern age. And multiple European travelers' accounts confirm the Native Americans in the area of Croatoan claimed to have relocated from Roanoke and had European features. Some even had older forms of English words in their language.

The only reason it's "speculation" is because there are no written accounts from the settlers themselves, for obvious reasons. But the Englishmen of the relief fleet admitted they didn't bother to search for them, and that they had a clear indication of where the settlers had gone. The people did not just disappear, and that is attested to by later Europeans and the oral history of the Native Americans of Croatoan themselves. It's not rocket science to piece this together.

What's with Juana Maria? Nothing mysterious about it

She was alone for 20 years comrade.

I know, that's hardcore and her mental health must have suffered really bad. But that's no mystery, if so, "savage childrens" and hermits are mystery too

I've been alone for 20 years