Veeky Forums I was a fucking loser who graduated at 24 with a shitty GPA in accounting...

Veeky Forums I was a fucking loser who graduated at 24 with a shitty GPA in accounting. I couldn't get a job because of the economy for two years because of the economy, and couldn't pass the CPA exams because of stress. If I were to pass the CPA exams now being almost 30 would I even be considered at a decent CPA firm? I don't have any accounting experience besides a handful of individual tax returns. And if you must know, I've been working a low paying meh job (there's things about it that keep me sticking around) for over a year and I payed my debt off. I could easily study with my job and actually have funds to pay for it with out going into debt.

Other urls found in this thread:

another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/entry-level-career-path-advice
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes you fucking fag. A guy at my gym got his CPA license at like 45

CPA here.

what firm do you think is going to hire you?

there are a thousand kids graduating college this year. I can go and hire any of them. Many of them have already passed sections of the exam.

I don't care that you pass the CPA exam, you've been hauling bricks or whatever for 8 years. Passing the CPA exam doesn't mean a firm will hire you.

Was he always in accounting and recently decided to go for the CPA or he just starting his career later too? This makes a difference because if he was already 'in' that says a lot about if it's going to be worth it or not for me. I hear it's still super competitive and having the exams passed aren't necessarily a golden ticket anymore.

What are you looking for then? What if I provide very tangible evidence (outside of having the exams passed) that I'm extremely adaptable and learn very quickly? If the entire public accounting profession has been reduced to a pump and dump new hires scheme I'd rather pass altogether if you're implying that's the current situation.

>would I even be considered at a decent CPA firm
no

but you can get into a shitty firm probably.

>that I'm extremely adaptable and learn very quickly

if this was true you wouldnt have a shitty gpa in accounting, been unemployed for 2 years, and failed the first time.

I couldn't get a job because of the economy for two years because of the economy

lol - FUCKIN ECONOMY

Why not get CPA, work at some shitty firm, doing people's taxes on the side, and then open your own practice in 2-3 years?

another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/entry-level-career-path-advice

Yeah, it's still a thing. This is board is fucking cancer.

I should add. I passed on the sections and was scoring 70-74 (need 75) on another. I ran out of funds and had no will to keep going at that point. I'm not a complete fucking idiot.

>muh economy
>muh im brilliant and capable but SOCIETY SCREWED ME OVER

kek

whatever you say buddy

What are you so mad about kiddo? At one of my last interviews dude went into his email to find my resume to print. He had to scroll through like 50+ responses to his posting to find mine. Even if 20% of those were people were qualified that means there's 10 people going after 1 position. Seems like a pretty legitimate external problem to me.

Oops. I didn't edit Nevada out. Oh wait, this might actually help me. How about you go check out Nevada unemployment rates and compare them to the national rates and go ahead and shut the fuck up.

am i supposed to be impressed you failed a CPA exam, but, you know, you ALMOST passed?

face it buddy you're not "extremely adaptable and learn very quickly" you're just another mediocrity who doesn't want to confront his own inadequacies

kek

Are you me? Also can't find a job in accounting. Passed one section of the cpa.

Could you just learn how to prepare taxes while in the down time take days off to prep for the CPA exam.

I'm thumbing through the exam prep right now, I downloaded Wiley CPAexcel's material, and honestly it looks more like law exam than an accounting exam. There's way more material on regulations than preparing forms.

the entire profession is not a pump and dump scheme.

here is the problem:

we hire a kid straight from school
we know he doesn't know what the hell he is doing, but we teach him.
he has to work hard during the day and study for his exams at night
we expect him to have the CPA exam finished in about a year or so. After 2 and no CPA license, we tend to part ways.

In your case, you have a low GPA. We look for 3.5 and higher in our new hires
You have already been passed over by the industry. Why would I want to bring you in when everyone else passed on you?
You have already shown you cant pass the exam.

See where I am going here?

This thread is depressing lol.

>See where I am going here?
No not really. I was under the impression that the consensus was that the exams are so hard they override GPA. Not to mention a lot of fims pay the exam fees for new hires that are studying. If they can find a new hire that themselves the firm can save some expenses hiring them. What changed was the fact that even at the CPA level the markets oversaturated.

I think you're getting a lot of shit because here you are posting largely about excuses you've made for not having passed the CPA exam. Don't compare yourself to the thousands of kids graduating from college this year, acknowledge that your situation is pretty shitty, and start fixing it by passing the damn exam.

If the local job market sucks, go to a thriving one so you can get your auditing hours or whatever and get your damn license. Don't make excuses about the costs of living or whatever.

+noWAHhD isn't going to hire you, nor will plenty of other assholes, but keep trying until someone finally does.

the exam that everyone in the profession had to pass in order to have their job doesn't override GPA.

remember that almost everyone who is a career CPA passed the exam their first time taking it.

sure we reminisce about taking the exam when the new guy passes his exam, but for most CPA's the exam is just something required to start your career.

I will say this though: production in the office is what overrides all.

So: get your license, start working in a small firm, 2 years later, move up to a larger, or don't. The work life balance is tons better at small firms than large firms. The secret they don't tell you in school is that large firms only pay about 10% more than the small firms, and they work your ass a lot more.

So OP, get your license. Buckle down and commit yourself to studying, and pass.

I used Becker, others I know used Wiley. But everyone who passes committed themselves to it.

Cpa= cant pass actuarial exams.

Get on my level bro.

>remember that almost everyone who is a career CPA passed the exam their first time taking it.

LOL each section has a pass rate of 45-55% and not even 20% pass all four first try.

Maybe I'm not interested in being an actuary?

Well I'm not going to deny I underestimated the test and overestimated my abilities for the test. But the no job in accounting excuses are pretty fucking solid. I'll probably start saving for a few months so that I'm not living off debt while studying like I was before.

Who be studying for the CPA?

>ninja MCQ Reg section

tfw when averaging high 80s for AUD and jeff himself told me I was solid but still failed.

You be memorizing answers, not understanding concepts. That said I failed REG twice already! Last time I did Ninja but I didn't spend enough time on it. Funny thing is I saw a few questions on the CPA exactly how Ninja had it. Not sure how he does it, but I'm happy with the program and price!

So, I started in this profession a few years ago in my late twenties, am currently taking my third exam (finished 2 exams while working at big 4 firm) and am now at a regional firm with a nice work life balance and healthy salary.

Don't make any fucking excuses for anything, and if you really want to be a CPA then find some books and start studying tomorrow.

>finished 2 exams while working at big 4 firm
I hate you. You probably got the job because you knew someone like most people in the big 4.

Mate don't mind the naysayers, keep trying. But don't come I am here and bullshit us so much,

you're asking for it if you do

But by providing evidencc the of having failed, you provided evidence of being distinctly NOT adaptable and hard working. user, anyone can pass any exam if they try. Especially a USA exam where transparency is maximum.

Cpa would override GPA IF YOU COULD PASS IT. you didn't, so why are you questioning it?

>so why are you questioning it?
Go back and read the thread. I am asking if IT WOULD BE WORTH IT SHOULD I HAPPEN TO PASS AS THE CPA CERT ITSSELF IS BECOMING WORTHLESS. CPA trumps gpa, period. That's how difficult the exam is.

I received my offer due to good soft skills and a good GPA from my MAcc program.

Taking exams while at a big 4 firm creates an even worse work-life balance and I don't recommend it. My mental and physical health deteriorated rapidly, and looking back I should have been on adderall to have seen it through more smoothly.

well this guy is telling him the truth and not what he wants to hear, it'll ultimately be better for him this way.

It should be pretty fucking clear to anyone that passing the exams will definitely help your chances in getting some kind of accounting job, maybe not one at a "decent firm" by your standards.

From my understanding, you have a shitty job right now, so any accounting job and a CPA license will be a step towards the profession or even valuation/consulting/etc. The profession is changing and a CPA won't be absolutely worthless if they find a way to adapt to a changing world like any driven person has done in the last couple of thousand years.

Just don't go any further with your fragile ego until you're ready to accept that you haven't worked hard enough so far in your adult life and are ready to prove to yourself that you can.