Wendy’s moves to self-service ordering as minimum wage rises

Wendy’s (WEN) said that self-service ordering kiosks will be made available across its 6,000-plus restaurants in the second half of the year as minimum wage hikes and a tight labor market push up wages

investors.com/politics/policy/wendys-serves-up-kiosks-as-wages-rise-hits-fast-food-group/

Guess what, you "servers/waiters" and "bartenders" are next. Get ready.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Guess what, you "servers/waiters" and "bartenders" are next.

Not likely, they'll just keep paying them $2.50 and subsidize with tips up to $15 like they do now.

How do people there?
What if I want to pay with cash?

I for one, applaud Wendy's.

Grew up in japan as an army brat... always liked the efficiency of payment machines in restaurants.

Most of the time, you just want to sit down, get your food, eat while you text/surf and leave.

No need to make tedious small talk with an annoying waiter that you have to tip.

Waiters will be replaced next, don't worry

Proving once again the REAL minimum wage is actually $0/hour.

my body is ready

But doing that is capital intense

And restaurant business is notoriously known for the low entry fees. Chains might automate, but small ones?

>Waiters will be replaced next, don't worry

I mean, is that such a bad thing?

We no longer employ manual ditch diggers & street sweepers in america. Life goes on.

revolt

everyone is going to try to steal my neetbux now

REVOLT

>We no longer employ manual ditch diggers & street sweepers in america
But we do.

>Chains might automate, but small ones?

Just how much do you think a payment machine costs?

They're under 10 thousand dollars for standard models w/ touchscreen & voice nowadays. That cost can be recovered by a few months of work from a manual employee.

Just look at japan as an example. Most small restaurants use payment machines... they're not cost prohibitive.

if they'll save $$ ~2x years down the road, then any bank will loan them

> capital intense
I could design a general purpose self service kiosk for less than a hundred bucks. Tech is ridiculously cheap. Sure they can't buy them for every store right away, but it wouldn't be too far fetched to get it done over a year.

The only money pit would be maintenance and possibly security since nigs will certainly have zero qualms about shooting and stealing from a robot. Still this solution would be both cheaper and me efficient than paying retards $15/hr to take an order.

yup... just went on Alibaba and you can snag yourself a good payment machine for as low as $4,000.

All it takes is for the consumers to adjust what they're used to and boom... waiters are irrelevant. All you need are chefs and one or two bus/runner boys.

Cash is already being phased out dude, if you aren't using a card sucks to be you. Although they could just use something like a vending machine and let you slip it in. Or an ATM

God fucking bless the ghost of Dave Thomas!

Gotta love Alibaba and the cheap ass chinks

starting at $1000

That's like a week and a half's work for a snooty ass teenager.

the self check outs at wal mart accept cash.

That's nearly 7% of what it would cost to have a $15/hr moron at the register per year! This is fucking happening.

Most people in the fields will lose their jobs, maybe that doesnt effect you but it effects a lot of americans

Not really the electricity costs a few cents per kilowatt hour. But if you could run these on solar I'd see your point.

Wendys
Waiters

Pick one

>a tight labor market push up wages
literally what

Maybe they were going to do this anyway but where just waiting for something to happen to use as an excuse for firing people and replacing them with robots

Does this mean that they'll bring their prices down? Don't get me wrong, Wendy's is delicious, but it isn't worth Five Guys money for a slightly above average McDonald's.

you are focusing on all the wrong things

Good. Let's eliminate shit jobs like that.

Yeah because that will totally help the economy and the average person. Or someone in college who needs a part time job. Try looking past your fucking nose kike.

>quality
>price
>focusing on the wrong things in the marketplace
Were you born this out of touch or did you take lessons?

Or is he focusing on all the right things? Everything is an alternative to something else; it's completely valid to list the pros right along with the cons.

he probably meant the wrong wrong foods

Also what he said, you fucking kike

>all of a sudden liberal cuck governments make having machines illegal
wouldn't be surprised kek

The niggers at McDonald's are hard to understand anyway. Easier to order with touch screen.

Enjoy having black people destroy them in this winter's riots

What's going to happen to capitalism when the capitalists no longer need to pay workers for their labor? How will the laborers survive?

>330 million people
>141 million Jobs
>Lets remove more jobs
>How does an economy collapse

Please tell me people aren't really this retarded.

>start a war
>jobs for everybody

that's called progress.

America hasn't stopped being in a war for decades.
That's called a depression.

It's a depression because even UBI cant replace the income that a lot of people make if all of a sudden there was no need for their job anymore

If it really becomes a big cost saver, banks will require them to give a business loan

yes, we do. Hows 2050, John?

Waiters will be replaced, same with bartending. Bartending will probably go first desu.

Love how everyone is saying that service jobs are shit and being replaced and how great it is and I'm just sitting here watching Doctors get replaced waiting for economic crash.

This would have happened regardless of minimum wage increases. Or do you expect me to believe that if minimum wage stayed the same companies would have no incentive to invest in replacing human labor even as the technology becomes exponentially cheaper and more efficient?

We have plenty of both.

this

raising the minimum wage will only accelerate the inevitable.

Great. The less work that needs to be done by humans the better.

The only danger is that this increases inequality, which can be counteracted politically.

Automation means there is either less work for people to do, meaning more free time, or that people can work the same hours on something new and we produce more stuff.

>lets be intentionally inefficient to create jobs

Good. Wendy's can never get my order right no matter how simple it is. I don't have that problem at other places but I guess Wendy's has been hiring deaf idiots all along and that's why they have to replace them with machines.

Have fun paying 99% income tax so the government can pay all the people who can't get jobs.

It's fucking 2016. The "average" person doesn't work at fucking Wendy's. Below average people dominate these jobs.

The cotton gin, industrialization, facotry automation, logistics automation.

Millions of basic labor jobs have been eliminated over and over again in American history.

> Every single time, some chicken little runs around screaming about no more jobs in America and the death of the US economy.

Surprise!!! Unemployment is looking pretty god damned good right now.

That pretty much shuts down the "everyone will be unemployed." bullshit

& lol at you low Expectations having mutherfuckers thinking that working at a Fast food restaurant = a career.

Fast food restaurants are for immigrants who don't speak english, retards (literal autistic retards), or people (mostly kids) transitioning into their careers.

You'd have to be some seriously low goals, low expectations loser to plan to work fast food your entire life.

Unless you live in Cali. $20 hour plus stock options here.

Additionally, larger chains have already started. Granted it's limited but you can order appetizers, drinks and pay your bill from a tablet at the table.

It literally says that is the reason in the article.

The best case I ever heard with fast food was an econ professor I had. He said he was a rebellious kid, left home, resorted to fast food for money, found out the basics of the labor market, became a shift and then store manager, and eventually came to manage real estate for Jack in the Box before quitting in 2006, when he sensed the real estate market was thinning. Before he quit, he came to own a dozen stores. Now he teaches econ for $97,000.

will my toxic fast food be assembled by bots too?

>its 2016
fuck off cunt. This hurts the american worker.

You realize being a server or a bartender counts as exactly what you are explaining right? So being a bartender isnt a career? Fucking kek

bartenders have some use... usually they have some big titties and flirt with me while I get drunk.

Bardending is alot more soft skills and socializing than other service jobs...

Of course I'd prefer a live girl to a machine serving drinks.

I could care less if a teen or a machine is taking my money for a fucking drive through sandwich.

I was going to say, I've been in both an applebees and a chilis where they had tablet ordering. Never saw a waiter until someone brought out our food.

Also pretty sure the bartenders I know pull down like 30+ an hour with tips.

They make good money for doing a needful job. Entertain drunk patrons.

I don't need to chat with the waiter or stare at his man boobs while I eat my big mac

I said SERVER or bartender. Like a nigga that brings you food.

>be Chef at Wendys
>lose job to machine

You waited until your entree was ready to get a drink?

>week and a halfs work
Lol no

>i never saw a waiter until they brought our food
Erroneous

No, I ordered my drinks and food and the drinks came then the food. Maybe saying 'food' was a bad way to put it, but 'the shit I ordered'. Does that work?

This. Even if Trump promises to lower taxes, the preexisting spending budget will just be shuffled to give more in welfare to jobless skillless shiftless niggers and human garbage. Why should I work just to have the same income after tax as some unemployed drug-using bum? What are we gonna do with these unemployed chumps is the question. Hopefully they will just fuck back home to mooch off mommy and daddy, but who knows? I want them to have nothing, because that's just as much as they contribute.

Some people literally cant find a job you mong. It is your country, show some respect for the people in it.

Pleaaaase obliterate tipping

>Why should I work just to have the same income after tax as some unemployed drug-using bum?

So don't. You're on Veeky Forums, so you probably qualify for NEETbux anyway.

Nobody hates America more than neoconservative Americans.

Retards itt don't realize that the business is shifting the labor onto the customer.

Fuck this form of automation. I go to service restaurants for service, not to do shit myself. I demand human slaves for my overpriced shitty meat otherwise I can make a vastly superior product at home for cheap.

Am I crazy for wanting this? I'd rather pay higher taxes than deal with more people in the workplace. That being said I have a bias, everyone in my city is a shithead who doesn't care about their job anyway so we may as well replace them with robots so they can sit at home doing nothing and get paid for it instead of sitting at a counter doing nothing getting paid for it while fucking up my order and potentially spitting in it.

How do you even get neetbux?

This makes me laugh so goddamn hard
All those faggots thinking you can "just increase wages"
All those faggots who lobbied and worked for "make it a living wage" for YEARS, and now that they finally got it, they lose their job

Daily reminder that 99% (yes, literally 99%) of jobs people used to have, has already been replaced by technology and we're still doing fine.
This is nothing new. This is nothing dramatic, this has been happening for centuries.

what about a server or a bartender?

what do you mean?

will that be replaced by technology in the next 10 years or so?

They're being replaced now. Same with Lawyers and Doctors and Nurses, and Warehouse Labour, and literally anything else you can think of.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

$15 x 60 = 900 bucks so he was pretty close

I don't know. I guess some people will want human interaction (and be prepared to pay for it) still though.

I don't see why you're asking about those specifically regarding my post.

Dubs checked.

I feel badly for the workers who will lose their jobs in the hiring environment since the first Great Depression. But I'm looking forward to not fighting language barriers.

Fuck america, and fuck the service industry

I honestly don't even give a fuck about an economy based on that bullshit. If we could get back to our roots, we'd see the value in actual labor rather than this bullshit.

Any actual sources (not just amateur YouTube videos) to suggest doctors, nurses, or lawyers are being replaced? Don't worry, I'll wait.

just using common sense shows that they cant be replaced

Agriculture ---> Manufacturing ---> Service ---> ???????
What is next for America's obscenely poor workers?

>buying Chinese payment kiosk
>expecting your client's credit card to not get stolen

Pick one man. Go ahead and buy chink shoes or shirts I'd you want, but don't even think about having them build you a networked device unless you want your shit stolen. Even if it doesn't come pre-hacked, it'll be riddled with vulnerabilities.

It's already in a number of non-chain lunch shops I go to near my office downtown. It's easier to "train" and set up, and takes up less space behind the counter than a person in an area where floor space is at a premium. I can only imagine that trend increasing if wages go up.

>implying all 330 million are employable and/or of a working age

Hoo boy that straw man looks pretty strong billy! You sure you can knock him down?

Thats the whole point of the new chips - it sends a code when used thats only good once

Yeah, that shit was supposed to be implemented in 2014 though, and yet here we are, with the majority of the market still not using chip and pin, and a number of point of sale terminals not even offering it.

they will have to learn, meaning go to college incur debt and be slaves forever, unless they serve the people that did do that by being tradesmen. heh. or they can read books themselves and learn the one thing every one will want to learn, automation. such is the future.

Who makes these kiosks? Now would be a good time to invest in that company.

Only a matter of time before a machine at a bar will serve u the drink youd like:) bartenders and servers btfo next.