What's stopping a rich person from buying like 5000 acres, building a town...

What's stopping a rich person from buying like 5000 acres, building a town, and then renting out space to people to live in?

Let them build shops, etc. etc. you'd be like a medieval lord. The only thing is you wouldn't be able to pass laws. I wonder how profitable it would be?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, if you allowed them to start their own business on your land, is that possible and could you demand to get a cut of the profits?

I suspect there would be some fairly major logistical and legal roadblocks, but I really want to get rich enough to try this now.

The state government would come raining down on you and force you to hold elections, have city officials, open schools, pave roads, etc.

There is no reason for a private person to build infrastructure and a whole city when people are willing to pay for it through property taxes already. For your plan to work, the rent for everything would have to be astronomical to make up for the cost of building the infrastructure, and no one would move there.

Like a shopping mall or apartment building but bigger?

Already been done. Read about boom towns, mining towns and what Carnegie did.

I wanted to make a small town beside an already fairly major area that no one is looking at. I would install basic shit like a starbucks, some houses, etc... but the main factor would be 0 taxes on anyone bringing businesses and free 1gig internet.

Then after a few years when all the faggots come in and more people want to move in, I jack up the housing prices and sell it all. Making the next San Francisco. I then hire some goons to burn the city down and I re-buy for 1/3 of original price.

With that money I buy my own private army and whatnot but it's too long to get into here.

you wouldn't get your money back for like 30 years

Lex is that you?

Pioneers already did this.

Regretted California ever since.

You need to give people a reason to move there. Location is everything in property, so you're kinda stuck in a catch 22. If you want cheap land, you'll have to build the town in the middle of nowhere, where there are no jobs and no other attractions. If you want to build the town in an attractive location, it's going to be fucking expensive and somebody else has probably beaten you to it.
Your best option would be to start a cult. Fill the town with the people you've indoctrinated.

Is everyone here 14? When you're asking questions like with 'What's to stop X from doing Y' you assume you've had a eureka moment and discovered something that millions have overlooked somehow.

Fuck off, retard.

This.
In China they're building huge ghost-cities (included a pathetic fake Paris) where no one lives because everyone who buy properties does it as an investment and doesn't want to live in them.

Maybe you can build a "bubble-city", where you somehow convince everyone that it will be amazing in the future, so they all invest in it making you rich, and then live with the regret of falling for your scam because the city was never that good to begin with.
You would need some good testimonials for it though. Someone who's notorious for being good at this kind of thing to be your partner and convince everyone that It'll be great.
Maybe if you get Trump you'll be able to do it.

nothing look up charter cities.

towns and infrastructure are really expensive. Would you spend your personal $17B to build a town in the middle of fucking nowhere?

It would require somebody rich to actually do something besides squeal about their bootstraps or being a job creator or what a victim they are.

>building a town

It's more efficient to develop land the normal way. Build houses, or build commercial property, then flip it or rent it. Massively fucking profitable.

> Implying you didn't just describe life as we know it currently

Can you get into detail please?

Agricultural property is the cheapest. It's zoned as such. The next up is residential, which is worth twice what agricultural is worth. It just has to be rezoned and sold. Then up from that following the same pattern is commercial. Then up from that is industrial.

So basically if you buy some agricultural land and develop it into commercial then you make 4-1 what you paid, plus whatever you built onto it.

Good thing would be to buy a small accredited school, then open up a satellite campus with housing. Have low admissions standards, and heavily market towards foreigners.

Someone in rural Canada is building a giant boarding school that is only taking students from China. They're like Disney in Orlando and bought up all the land first, so they can now sell the smaller neighboring properties to finance the bigger development.

This. wtf.

This lol

But seriously
>you didn't build that
>you didn't do it
>obama.jpg
lol niggers

came here to post this shit. OP is a faggot once again.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town

gee i dont fucking know. the effort it takes to manage all the? or maybe its the cost to pay someone to manage it for you? hm which could it be.

Oh cool, didn't know about that.

I assume that's in the USA, right?
I'll look for an equivalent in my country.

Thank you very much.

I did this with 3350 acres by building a shopping center opposite of a slightly populated area (pop under 10k) after this other interested parties (restaurants, spas, hardware stores) contacted for leases and subdivisions. 7 years and the pop is near 30k. I only have 1472 acres staked left but they're shit because the engineer wouldn't apprrove construction on improper soil conditions. Interesting that he has city connections and have been getting heavy lowball offers.