General discussion of why you want to be Veeky Forums

So I know people (elderly, dads, mom, etc) who don't focus on fashion. Generally people conscious on Veeky Forums fashion tend to be high schoolers to college age or people who really enjoy it for what it brings. So what makes you focus on your fashion? Is it to attract girls? Is it to be more knowledgable on how you present yourself? Is it a status thing? I just want a fluid discussion from people who makes this board what it is

OP here. I'll start it off. I'm into fashion because i feel like being knowledgeable of what's in and out, what brands are making waves, and opinion of others on particular clothing is fun to know. It also helps me make informative decisions in what I wear and stay away from the meme culture that clothing def has. I'm not Veeky Forums core and dress pretty normal... kind of like the characters on Hey, Arnold. Nothing impressive but not goober af. I guess I want girls to know I'm intelligent and not some weird creeper or anything. I'm happy with my image and thank Veeky Forums for many laughs and insight to clothes

I'm in a project of getting pussy.

OP here. tip for you. I guess what you wear can attract girls (brand, appearance, etc) but i feel like it'll attract shallow ass girls. Girls friends i have don't care much about your clothes as long as you're not poor creeper basement core. Have you been successful in your endeavors with girls? Are they shallow?

i do photography and kind of deal with street fashion but not like r/streetwear shit cause i feel like photography is demeaned by those types of shots and people.

and that photography helped me to know what types of people to avoid and etc. I dont want my fashion to attract people who care so much about brands and fuccgirls.

I'ts just that having a basic sense of self-consciousness about how you dress is a big factor on getting girls, so I started to actually put some thought about how I dress, that's all.
Haven't been really successful with girls, but I think it's because I always thought they had to come for me, and not the other way around. Don't really care if it attracts fuccgirls as long as I get some experience.

i like to wear dope shit

So I'm a big suit, dress shoe, tie guy, I do it for a few reasons. First, frankly, to be different. I've always been sort of a loner who has a very different philosophy to life than almost everyone around me. Second, people perceive you very much by how you dress, by getting into a tailored suit, people believe you are smarter, wiser, more cultured, more successful and fit (all but the last two I believe I am (I may be wrong)). Third, the history, being a history nerd I love how long it roots extend. Forth, how versatile it is, from going to strict business formal to almost street casual by changing a few details (accessories, shoes, and shirt). Fifth, the aesthetics, the suit is a thing of beauty (in my opinion), how all the small parts (lapels, pockets, DB vs SB, shoulders ect.) interact within it to build a structure.

That being said, I only wear a suit maybe twice a week at most, and if I'm not in a one, I focus on practicality and comfort. I'm usually in one of my beat up hoodies, ball cap, jeans, and hiking shoes. I cannot bring myself to do the mess that is in between business casual and street casual.

you sound a bit young. Def girls want the guys to initiate. They'll welcome it if you're attractive. Some girls don't like that their space is being invaded. It really depends on the girls and doesn't mean you're ugly or etc. It just depends and expect rejections. Rejections shouldn't be something to avoid. It happens to everyone.

Having confidence from what you wear is good. But just remember only a few people really go hard into fashion like Veeky Forums. Unless t hey're tumblr girls where you should rock ricks, CDG, Yohji, Issey, etc

Yeah, turning 20 years old in a couple of months. Confidence is what I've always lacked, so I'm trying to build some.
I'm actually enjoying a lot the Veeky Forums sphere and I'm seriously considering of being hard into Veeky Forums when I have a job.

i'm into Veeky Forums to learn how to present myself properly while creating a solid aesthetic for myself (color blocking, colors that look good, not looking cheesy, what to avoid, what inspo i can gather, etc.). honestly not into memes or brands really.

I only come here for certain threads, but honestly fuck this board.
I dress to please my self esteem and portray myself in a certain way.
Being Veeky Forums has no meaning

its fun

My mom still is vastly interested in fashion, because when she was a teen she was a model in the Phillipines. She says she does it because she lived in the villages, and didn't have much opportunities then unlike now.

>Makes me focus on fashion
Since my mom was invested in appearance, I grew up with constant discipline on how I looked, so it grew on me. It's one of my insecurities of how I dressed myself.
Yet when I reached middle school, I developed my own style. I always received compliments, and it made me feel good, unlike being home and disciplining my tastes in clothes.
I believe that clothes play an important role as a reflection in personality. Clothes also boosted some confidence in me.

I used to dress like shit.
Even when I dressed up I still looked like shit.
I don't want to look like shit anymore.

A lot of artists talk about what they were wearing at the time of them making art, and I like to think wearing what you think personifies you most at the time gives you a unique sense of confidence and identity

I feel like the way I dress allows me to present myself the way I want to be seen. It accentuates parts of my personalty. Never actively done it for sex appeal, but I'm defiantly more confident when I feel myself

Used to be the worst dressed person in any given room. wantede to blend in as a "normal guy"

then went out bought designers just to prove that i can

over that phase now and back to average 28 year old clothing in the 10+ years i was on here

Market research to shill overpriced clothes with bold branding to absolute retards such as yourselves.

I'm not joking I'm literally paid to monitor and analyze shit from Veeky Forums and subreddits and also float trial balloons and design to gauge reactions. This is probably the worst generation as far as fashion goes in as much as quality has zero bearing on anything. You idiots buy China made gear done is factories next to the ones that do mass market shit, only difference is some QC and prints.

there was a hip girl in hs that i wanted to fuck
ditched the skate tee's and went meme-ochrome
eventually got good (with ur help) and now i can't help but want to dress well

mostly social status and to better present myself

I hate myself and clothes I like make me hate myself less. But it's quickly losing its shimmer and I'll be back to where I was soon enough

Even though I'm still a newfag lurker(please be gentle), I got bored of the whole pattern tshirt, jeans, and vans getup 365 days a year. Starting to like the smart casual style but dont wanna go full Memeswear. Plus my dad didnt want me to dress like a nigger when I grew up.

This is the guy that keeps making "is x Veeky Forums" threads

Veeky Forums was created in -09 you fucking newfag

>go to uni and realize that I should probably put more effort into my appearance
>like well-made things
>other hobbies aren't using up much of my cash

At the end of the day, it's just a confidence boost and "hey, this looks cool".

I'm 21, college student: for me it just ticked in that I used to not care, and suddenly started watching how other guys dress and how terrible some of them looked because of their choice of clothes, eventually I saw my own flaws and wanted to start dressing well. I don't care at all about being cutting edge but you have to pay attention to trends, what looks good to everyone today won't be 10 years into the future, maybe

to make me look less ugly

Makes me feel good if I think I look better than the people around me

to make mad all

there's always going to be "memecore". The idea of saturation of sillouetttes and their countering styles can't be avoided.

You're going to wear clothes every day for the rest of your life, basically. This is like asking why you'd want to cook. Why wouldn't you?

Anyways, I'm into fashion because of perspective and variation.

As I'm growing into fashion, I'm redifining how I look at people, at myself, and at society.
I'm noticing how appearance matters less on what justifications you have for wearing it (who designed it, how expensive, what occasion) and more on why you'd wear it (and whether or not you were sucessful at it.)
For example, if one wore an outfit to get pusy, then their appearance is dictated by what they think girls would want to see, not what they did to successfully flatter their body and personal style. If one wore an outfit to drift between avant-garde and safe, there's more of a focus of what their style can do to challenge a trend whilst making it appealing for others to wear.
I like how it gives an idea of what a person could be, and if they're sucessful, how they achieved it.
Sillouettes, textures, clothing construction,etc, had always been interesting to me, even when I was young, but I'm constantly learning to appreciate it more on the goals of an outfit.

three of them are wearing the same shoes kek

they're actually all different

1: they're not
2: it wouldn't be weird for a brand to show multiples of the same garment at a show you fucking idiot

They all look the same unless you pay close attention though.

copypasta

i like fashion but i definitely feel like i've grown out of Veeky Forums a little

also i am all for people using | as a shorthand for or

>2: it wouldn't be weird for a brand to show multiples of the same garment at a show you fucking idiot

I actually don't care about fashion that much. Even though it sounds like a paradox, I'm trying to develop the mindset of not caring about what anyone else thinks and I want what I wear to reflect that, but I don't want to look careless/lazy either

Because of that, all the clothing I wear is practical and comfy, but well-fitted and clean. My entire wardrobe consists of joggers, sweatpants, running sneakers, blank t shirts dark in color, and a hat . And as a watch, I wear an F91. I only seem to wear grey, black, dark blue, and maybe olive. "Dressing up" consists of me wearing slim jeans/chinos instead and maybe throwing something over my t-shirt.

I use fashion to mask the fact that I don't have a personality.

wow you sound REALLY interesting.

i do it to give myself a small burst of satisfaction. when you cop something you've wanted for awhile it's just pure ecstasy. i also do it to look good "look good feel good" i guess
also to give myself a shallow goal to follow so i dont end my life due to the thought of everything having no meaning and that life isn't worth living (a soul crushing daily grind for a moment of happiness).
why be Veeky Forums when you could be dead?

girls love being approached, just not by you

it's nice to feel like you look good

also, girls

I like to think of dressing well as trickle-down effaynomics - when I started buying expensive clothes, it felt weird not taking enough care of my skin and hair, or flossing teeth only once a week, or eating fast food, or drinking sugary drinks instead of water.

Sure, at the core of it it's just fondness of buying nice things, but it has improved my life substantially.

This my dude. Girls get off in the idea some guy has interest in them if they're attractive.
T. Guy with female friends and sister

I'm interested in fashion because I'm interested in art, design, and aesthetics in general. I'm also somewhat fascinated by consumer behavior in regards to branding, the sociological aspect of fashion-as-identity in signaling membership (or non-membership) of a tribe, group, class, subculture, etc. The short reason why people "lose interest" in capital-f Fashion with age is that one eventually settles in to who they are and your identity has a certain kind of inertia once you get past your mid-20s. But that's not always he case and there are also a thousand other reasons why one loses interest, not to mention constraints of time and money and responsibility and prioritization and employment that may make you outwardly appear to be disinterested in fashion. The reality is most people (including 92% of Veeky Forums) aren't interested in fashion beyond "not getting laughed at, fitting in, appearing worthy of a fuck and/or companionship," and that's been a very low bar for decades.

to laugh at idiots