What would be the ethical thing to do in this version of the trolley dilemma?

What would be the ethical thing to do in this version of the trolley dilemma?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I guess, you steer towards the building which you know only has 1 dude inside?????

it's not revealed which one has the one person, just that one does.. which goes without saying, which is why no ethicist is impressed with it.

When you picked a building at random, you had a 1/3 chance of choosing the one with 5 persons in it, and 2/3 of choosing one with 1 person in it.
The revelations means you don't know if the building you're running into has 5 people, but you do know at least one of the other buildings has 1 people in it.
Since it's the opposite of the classic Monty Hall problem (you're trying to AVOID the 1/3 outcome, instead of trying to find it) you shouldn't switch tracks, lest you increase your chances of crashing into 5 people.

it only revealed that one had 1 person in it, it didn't reveal that the other one DIDN'T, meaning the odds for switching tracks are exactly the same.

Also I just assumed you can't steer towards the building that was revealed, else it's not a problem at all.

>It only revealed that one had a goat in it, it didn't reveal that the other one didn't
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

>the odds are exactly the same

"Vos Savant suggests that the solution will be more intuitive with 1,000,000 doors rather than 3. (vos Savant 1990a) In this case there are 999,999 doors with goats behind them and one door with a prize. After the player picks a door the host opens all but 1 of the remaining doors. On average, in 999,999 times out of 1,000,000, the remaining door will contain the prize. Intuitively, the player should ask how likely is it, that given a million doors, he or she managed to pick the right one initially. Stibel et al. (2008) proposed working memory demand is taxed during the Monty Hall problem and that this forces people to "collapse" their choices into two equally probable options."

DONT

TOUCH

THE

SWITCH

>out of control trolley
>you control which building you slam into
choose

You can control its direction with regard to the 3 tracks, but you can't control its speed.

The odds changed because it's an entirely different decision with new knowledge.

Wait a second. If there's two buildings that only have one person, and you have three choices, there will ALWAYS be at least one of the two other buildings that has one person. You would already know this and it wouldn't make any difference.

This is not the monty hall problem

The lynchpin that makes Monty Hall work is that Monty KNOWS where the goats are and will ONLY reveal a door that has a goat behind it.

Without this prerequisite, the revealed door may have been chosen by random chance and therefore you learn no information that changes the expected values of the doors.

If you thought Monty Hall applied here, it shows that you didn't really understand the Monty Hall problem.

trick question since I would not have decided randomly which building to slam into. I would have to make no decision.

I pick any building cause I don't have a moral system and the Internet desensitized me

Everything this guy said.

This is an inverse Monty hall problem. You have better odds of choosing a building with one person to start with, so your best odds are to stay on your current track.

this
really bums me when people misrepresent the problem
first time someone told it to me I asked if the presenter had to pick a wrong door necessarily and the dude told me "it doesn't matter"

waste no time jumping off the trolley

Well it hinges upon the fact that you don't know whether or not you're currently headed towards a building with one person in it. However, because you can apparently freely choose which building to hit, you know one building only contains a single person, and the presumed goal is to kill as few people as possible, there's literally no reason not to switch to the revealed building.

Unless the goal is to kill five people, in which case you should NOT switch. Because now your chances of having picked the right one are fifty fifty, and switching doesn't actually help your chances of killing the most people.

they have trolleys in russia?

Best chance of attempting to save any other of the single buildings.

Who was the retard that built those on top of the rails?