What is the future of religion?

What is the future of religion?

Other urls found in this thread:

meaningness.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/protestant-buddhism/
buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/jerry-messing?utm_term=.gcz5YBPR6#.oxWwN20Ol
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Islam takes over.

Its gonna evolve into a different creature of what it is today like it always does.

Feel-Good cyber stuffs.

A decentralization of authority and the growth of numerous sects.

>>Islam takes over
lol no.

this

/thread

/board

/Veeky Forums

>pope denies divinity of Jesus Christ
>Europe either becomes protestant or abandons Christianity
>Putin declares himself tzar to prevent the spread of atheist Europe
>the United States kek's softly throughout the space time continuum

>mfw this delusional Slavshit actually believes any of this has even a remote chance of happening

There is going to be some kind of massive change in Islam in a couple of decades.

The New Age was supposed to be the future, but it's already in the past, it was never meant to have lasting practicioners, let alone be a project for eternity.

The future of religion in the West is the protestant-like scripturalist approach to any and all "foreign" faiths, regardless of whether they even give a shit about the scriptures in the original country, the example of a religion undergoing this process being Buddhism:

meaningness.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/protestant-buddhism/

I expect religiously-minded Jews to continue to convert to this bastardization of Buddhism in the US, presently 25% of US "Buddhists" are Jewish.

Islam appears to be the most resistant to this approach given it already underwent a reformation by Al Wahhab in the 18th Century, it will attract a lot of antimodernists and extreme antisemites.

Heterodox sects of Islam will attempt to proliferate, but simply do not possess the amount of capital the Saudis and Muslim Brotherhood can mobilize to build massive mosques and spread the word of Allah.

Christianity will continue its process of weakening in Europe and North America, while growing in the Souther Hemisphere, my pet theory is that there will be a series of extremely charismatic religious leaders from the latter that will evangelise in the former.

Vatican 2 Catholics hope to reunite with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinopole, Greek Catholics are already in communion with Rome while having great freedom not only in liturgy and the sacraments, but also in theology, same with Western Rite Orthodox.

I think Francis's Rome is humble enough to reinterpret the Primacy of Peter in a way it no longer disturbs the Orthodox, and Bartholomew is present wherever the Pope goes, it's just a matter of time. Should the project be successful before or during the Great Schism's 1000th birthday, there will be much jubilation. Even if the Pentarchy is restored, the Church in Russia won't be having any of this reunification thing.

Fusion with the simulation hypothesis.

Everyone, Muslims included, have been saying that about Islam since the day Muhammad died.

Guess what?

The only "massive change" has been the Shia-Sunni schism.

Reminder that god is dead.

why don't you get out of your mom's basement and try saying that in a public square in Riyadh, you smelly fedora-tipping neckbeard cuck

I'm waiting for the Bible to be novelized any day now 2bh

>>Christianity will continue its process of weakening in Europe and North America, while growing in the Souther Hemisphere,
Obviously.

>>my pet theory is that there will be a series of extremely charismatic religious leaders from the latter that will evangelise in the former.
The odds of them being successful are slim. 21st century westerners aren't post-roman europeans.

Saudi Arabia being a backwards shithole doesn't disprove what he said.

How can something be dead if it was never alive?

No one knows. The most likely scenario is that religion in general will further split into two basic groups, the fundie literalist who, as their numbers decrease will become even more fundie, and a moderate middle that will put its emphasis more and more on their holy texts being symbolic. There might also arise entirely new religious traditions, such as neopagan/pre-abrahamic traditions around the world. With their decentralized authority, this will probably be a breeding ground for new ideas and rituals

There is none because it fails to evolve.
An example would be the jews

>21st century westerners aren't post-roman europeans.
Indeed they are not, but they may feel abandoned all the same.

Modern Orthodox are trying. Reformed, Conservative, and Humanistic Jews are also quite recent phenomena in the very long history of Judaism.

1/4 world population will be Muslim

1/4 will be atheist fedora

1/4 poo-in-loo Hindoo

and 1/4 will be 'Other' (consisting of cultural Christians, token religionists in East Asia, Buddhists, animists, folk religion, etc.)

Out of these, the Muslims will take this religion stuff the most seriously, followed by the Hindoos. The people in the Other category will have a more cultural approach to religion.

Most jews aren't religious though.

Atheism.

About half of them, to be precise, we'll see whether this changes.

Pic related.

In America
Here in Israel most I know are religious or at the very least are tolerant of religious people(aka Chris Hitchens like figures are seen as too extreme among athiests here)

>Vatican 2 Catholics hope to reunite with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinopole, Greek Catholics are already in communion with Rome while having great freedom not only in liturgy and the sacraments, but also in theology, same with Western Rite Orthodox.

>I think Francis's Rome is humble enough to reinterpret the Primacy of Peter in a way it no longer disturbs the Orthodox, and Bartholomew is present wherever the Pope goes, it's just a matter of time. Should the project be successful before or during the Great Schism's 1000th birthday, there will be much jubilation.
So much this. Hope for it really hard.
And this will likely make the oriental orthodox want to join the party, and assyrians will continue leaking into the Chaldeans,

Christianity becomes a an African religion. Even if it will decline in other places it will have a boom in Africa due to the demographic growth.

>Indeed they are not, but they may feel abandoned all the same.
Abandoned by what? People have all sorts of religious options now and if we're talking about material concerns last time I checked most modern developed nations have welfare states.

Which was a massive change, tbf.

Honestly that's the only way I see Christianity surviving as a potent ideology in Europe and much of the Western world.

Reunification would be a massive event, religiously unprecedented, and if done well and with the support of the main figures on both sides, could revitalize and re-energize believers. Orthodox zeal combined with Catholic modernity and the vast geographical area it would cover might make Christianity an intriguing religion to outsiders.

>Everyone, Muslims included, have been saying that about Islam since the day Muhammad died.

"Spiritualized atheism" of some kind. New agey type beliefs revolving around self-actualization and the belief that each of us is a "god" in his own right. Aka the religion of the Antichrist.

Why would the Antichrist support a good thing? Wasn't he supposed to be evil?

>More muslims, all over the place
>More christianity in the third world
>Less jews, they're population is in decline
>Ever more splintering into smaller sects and people just flat out leaving religion as has been the trend for a long time

The Antichrist isn't a psychopathic serial killer, he is someone who tries to replace Christ (i.e. the Truth) and put self worship in its place.

Nigger tier logic at its finest

Why would any of those dunehead scribbles be the correct religion?

>Implying that the Orthodox Patriarchs would renounce being mini-popes in their country.

They can do that within the Pentarchy

The trash.

islam doesn't even have a civilization, it's all bombed-out shitholes and fat princes with uncle sams hand up their ass, they're about as relevant as the alabama hillbilly megachurches in the larger context of thought

lol, I don't get why calling religious people fedoras is even an "argument". It's symbolic of the classic atheist, sure, but it doesn't mean they're wrong... it just seems like "shit what do I say? Fedora? sounds good lol rekt!"

>It's symbolic of the classic atheist, sure,

It's nothing to do with atheism, full stop. It's a shitposting meme started by a bunch of religious people plastering quotes on a bunch of random pictures of people wearing fedoras.

Even the main 'fedora guy' is religious and moans on Facebook about being called an atheist.

buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/jerry-messing?utm_term=.gcz5YBPR6#.oxWwN20Ol

This.

Very true. Interesting article, hadn't seen that (even though it is buzzfeed). The fedora meme is shitty though

Some moderate almost liberal version of European islam and plenty of atheists.

>almost liberal version of European islam
That will be the day.

The followers of one go to heaven, the followers of all others go to hell.

Iran in the 1950s

Iran then, Bosnia, some Asian countries, new generations of Muslim minorities in Europe, Turks.
Turkey is pretty seculare and moderate in fact, do people fail to realize this?

The age of the Holy Spirit, which follows the recently finished age of The Son