Occultism & Magick: Library Update 33 (research edition)

Hello, Veeky Forums, been a minute. Today's update largely consists of academic material on the Gnostics as well as some new research into Enochiana (in honor of Peterson's publication of his new edition of Honorius).

First, the link:
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>A.'.A.'.>Philosophy
Malinowsky's Sex, Culture, and Myth
Catherine Bell's Ritual Theory: Ritual Practice (Oxford)
Palgrave Studies in Theater and Performance -The Theatre of the Occult Revival: Alternative Spiritual Performance from 1875 to the Present

>A.'.A.'.>Thelema
The Holy Guardian Angel and The Value of Divination by Hessle

>Babylonian
Inanna: Queen of Heaven (Her Hymns and Stories from Sumer)

>Chumbley>Cultus Sabbati
Goddesses' Elixirs and Witches Plants and Sexuality throughout Human History
Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic - Physical Evidence for Ritual Acts of Sorcery and Witchcraft (Hutton)

>Enochian
Treatise on Angel Magick
Liber Iuratus Honorii
In Operibus (04, DRJ)
The Cabala of Being: John Dee's Semiotic Ontology in the Monas
Putting British Seas on the Map

>Enochian>John Dee
Sloane MS 2599 Fixed
Sloane MS 3678

>European
Demoniality: Inccubi and Succubi
A Discovery of the Impostures of Witches and Astrologers
Demonic Possession and Exorcism in Early Modern England
Icelandic Magic: Aims, Tools, and Techniques of Sorcery
Writing Witch Hunt Histories

>Gnostic
City of Demons: Violence, Ritual, and Christian Power
Star of Bethlehem and the Magi
A Companion to Angel in Medieval Philosophy
The Coptic Encyclopedia vols 1-8.
Byzantine Magic

>Grimoires
Blood Expiation in Hittite and Biblical Ritual
Research Intelligence in Early Modern England (Prelude to Dee)
Demonology of King James (Tyson)

>Kabbalah
Kabbalah and Psychanalysis
Watchers of Satanail: Fallen Angels Traditions in 2 (Slavonic) Enoch
The Iyyun Circle

>LHP
Order of the Solar Temple: Temple of Death

Relevant stats:
37.6 GB
489 folders
5296 files

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10407759/r
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=2A2068EBF5E5B4615AE49DF964EF32B7
youtube.com/watch?v=UehA0qeqXUI
sacred-texts.com/oto/418/aetyr15.htm
youtu.be/y_5Nv1v9iD0
thedarkestart.wordpress.com/tag/salvator-rosa/
youtube.com/watch?v=NljxtaJv-68
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump for interesting source and academic texts on occultism, esoterica, and obscure cults through history.

Interesting stuff!

Thanks mate, I try to vet my files pretty well, relying most heavily on source materials and reputable academic publishers.

The new age shit's bad enough without adding in everyone's crappy self-published Wicca textbook.

Good to see this back here.

Veeky Forums might also be interested in this, I remember seeing a few questions on mysticism over there so I referred them to /omg/

Thanks for the heads up, though Veeky Forums has been historically hostile to the library; the have a very pissy A.'.A.'. member who seems to think anyone not running a public blog isn't a real aspirant.

You could try dumping on /x/ too

I already have a thread up there.
I posted here as well because it's been expressed to me more than once when I've hosted here that some people want this info but detest going on /x/ (I can't blame them) so I may as well bring the material to them instead of leaving Veeky Forums in the dark.

>tfw you're interested in all of this but doesn't know where to start and can't be arsed to meditate

Hold me, brehs...

>Can't be arsed
Get arsed, breugh.
I have a beginner's folder. Try starting there.

Polite bump as an alternative to Fedorafags v. Christtards.

According to the poll that is being posted in every thread, Atheists are 36%, followed Catholics 19%, Protestants 13%, Deism 6%, Sunni Islam 6%, Pantheism 6%, then Judaism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Shia Islam, Daoism, Hinduism, Sikhism, New Age.

strawpoll.me/10407759/r

3 out of 10 anons are neither atheist (the poll does not have an agnostic option) nor Nicene Creed Christian.

>3 out of 10 anons are neither atheist (the poll does not have an agnostic option) nor Nicene Creed Christian.
Neat.
About the most traditional Christianity I can deal with is the non-Chalcedonian Eastern Orthodox.

I guess my target audience here would be (providing the poll's not terribly skewed/padded is the bottom 20% minus Islam.

In any case people's personal beliefs rarely have much bearing on the amount of baitposting at any given moment.

Thanks for the info, tho.

thanks bra

Sorry I can't be much more help; the library's geared toward the intermediate practitioner.

I studied occultism, Paganism, neo-Paganism/WIcca, and new age stuff for a while but found a lot of it to be obscure nonsense and symbolism without any content. Very little of it seemed to be very spiritually fulfilling, and no one touched on the universal aspect of the mystical experience. Are there any sources which follow the pantheistic, mystical train of thought or the process philosophy of the pre-Socratics?

Did you ever answer whether you've seen this:
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=2A2068EBF5E5B4615AE49DF964EF32B7

Wow, very interesting. What is the story behind this thread?

Im quite intrigued by these subjects but I have very little knowledge and dont know where to start off or which area to focus on(seems like a enormous body of literature). What would be a good starting point?

Already have a copy in the Abhinavagupta file, I'd actually had it since the day I put the library online but had been redacting it for reasons until about a year back.

You sound like you'd get a kick out of Neoplatonism and the EARLY Hermetic traditions emerging therefrom.

I've been keeping one of the best libraries on the internet for serious occultism for the last like four or five years. Not much more to tell than that; twice the size of grimoar.cz and with tons of 'exclusive' content from otherwise private trackers.

>starting
Beginner's folder if you have no context. Bardon's kinda wooly-headed, so maybe avoid him from that folder.

Swell.

You gonna upload some stuff on B or do you like cucking me

Just been kinda idling, I have a few files set aside that I THINK are in format, will probably start uploading when my ISP's billing period rolls over.

If you wanna cuck me it's okay (;

So I found a signed copy of one of Christopher Hyatt's books in a used bookstore the other day. $8. Sorta neat

I'd be more impressed if Doc Hyatt had taken is dick out of all those systems he didn't believe in.

metapuke.jpg

Great work!
Thank you for the recommendation

Should I download the whole thing to my computer or just leave it in the mega? OP there better not be any trick in here.

>Byzantine Magic
I might just check this one out. Thanks!

>Enochian is for reals guise
>ignore witchcraft traditions pls, trust me guise

Up to you, you can make a mega account, import the library, and browse at your leisure.

Not a problem.

Yeah I got it in the mega I'm just weary of downloading such a large amount of stuff from someone on an anonymous image board.

taiwanese flipbook forum*

What can you tell me about Abraxas

**Sino-Mongolian yak husbandry vbulletin.

Either Kurt Rudolph's "Gnosis: Nature and History of Gnosticism"...a paper about three charm amulets it's called...."Three Elusive Amulets". That or maybe the Greek Magical Papyrus.

Either way most of my Gnosticism interest rests elsewhere. Abarasax is about what you think it is; a single expression of duality.

Oh gret, I wanted these threads to show back - not because I give a flying shit about occultism but I've reached some barriers.

I'll ask you guys to tell me everything you know then I'll ask questions related to it so:

Why occultists compare YHWH with Allah and the Demiurge - it's like 99% of occultism is making puerile associations and making a body of puerile associations and calling it a new movement or religion.

Then why esoteric followers claim there's a connection between battle of Krishna with demon-snake Kaliya, Apollo with monster snake Python, and Perseus with winged snake.

I also the more I read - I see that lots of theories are built up on fictional works of literature, for example there's lots of speculation about third eye Wolfram von Eschenbach, parzifal – the medieval age song about Lucifer: while falling lossing the diamond from his crown and that diamond became the Holy Graal or the Third Eye in humans according to esoteric teachings... WTF – even wolfram when wrote it say he used inspiration from apocrypha text – book of enoch + he said it’s a work of fiction... it’s like oculists don’t understand what apocrypha means – they have 0 theological understanding, they claim they’re experts in Christianity and beyond it – then they also take fictional works as facts..

Also why is Third Eye associated with pineal gland - it has no connection, just because in the history of medicine at some point - Descartes said it might be located there means anything?... again work of delusion a mistake in the progress of science... then occultists today claim that there's a connection with Hinduist third eye ( which is not an organ first of all - it's an energetic body located at the junction of eyebrows ) so is the Chinese Taoist third eye which again it's more of an concept - they say something like there are 3 layers, like eyes - of understanding and third eye is the absolute spiritual understanding...

I don't even want to continue - I'm actually disgusted by this occultism bullshit - it's one of the most retarded things that had to rise from medieval times... going to just ignore it.

>Why occultists compare YHWH with Allah and the Demiurge
New to me. That's mostly a new-age thing. Id' say the puerile correpsondances are more a quality of the specific shitty people you've interacted with than "Occultism".

Anyone describing YHVH as anything more than an elemental (or perhaps sexual with some tweaking) formula need to go back and do more research on what various actual occult figures had to say on the matter.

>Esoteric followers claim
See above.

>etc., etc., etc.
Some yogis do speak in terms of chakras and glandular/endocrine functions but it's rare and vague, tangential to Ayurveda.

I suggest you read more academic books in my library instead of interacting with functional retards.

Siamese cave painting owl circuit

You did not respond anything - fuck this shit you people are dumb as fuck - going to leave and never touch things again...

you now started to explain me about yogis - who the fuck gives a shit about them.. and what were the connections....

bye anyway.

Oh, k then.
>An argument can be made that secret mystical instruction's a feature of religious action going all the way down the rabbit hole into prehistory. You can look at The Pyramid and Coffin Texts or recent Brill editions on Babylonian witchcraft to get an indication of this.

But to each their own, I wish you luck in finding a more interesting use of your time.

Tibetan rune carving symposium

Is it all just Satanism?

Beat me to it, damn.

Akkadian cuneiform scribbling secret society

You guys are alright.

Good stuff in here by the way, thanks.

The results are worth it m8, just get off the computer for 20 minutes and do it.

I try to keep the materials top notch.
Doesn't always work out that way for sake of completion in some folders (Hessle's material in the Thelema folder) but no text repository's going to be perfect.

Quality is more important than completeness.

So, I don't have even the slightest interest in occultism, but would meditation be worth pursuing anyway?

I'd be inclined to agree in most respects.
Then, I'm trying to get a snapshot of the current.

No, the health benefits can be gained through other activities.
The goal of yoga is Liberation (Mukti, etc.), not feeling healthy.
youtube.com/watch?v=UehA0qeqXUI

Yes. Just be aware that there is a purpose to it and that purpose is getting to know reality as it is. If that isn't occult in the most basic sense of the word, I don't know what is. Removed from that purpose, it's just some extremely noticeable cognitive benefits.

Bump?

>that video
r u a krishnite now? wow what a cuck, color me surprised

OP, can you give an explanation of what this is in Layman's terms, please?

>minus Islam
What about Sufis?

Ape or whoever, what is the Holy Grail?

It's a collection of primary sources and academic texts on esoteric practice. It's the kind of thing you'd read in a comparative religion class. On the other side of things, it's a smorgasbord of manuals for the practitioner or mystic. It's also a big fuck you to how controlled knowledge is in the occult community. There are tons of rare or private documents that have been kept under wraps ore are just hard to find in physical form. Many of the books in the chumbley folder sell for over a thousand dollars right now because they were boutique runs of a couple hundred copies.

>Bardon's kinda wooly-headed, so maybe avoid him from that folder.

Maybe he shouldn't be there. Or maybe placed in a folder of deprecated material?

kek

>New to me. That's mostly a new-age thing.

Seriously?

>Anyone describing YHVH as anything more than an elemental (or perhaps sexual with some tweaking) formula

Pretty sure Jehovah was, and is, a god worshiped in Judaism. Christianity began as a Jewish sect and Islam began as essentially a Christian sect. Therefore, there is a certain historic equivalence between Jehovah and Allah. The prophet of the latter seems to thought so, too.

The relation between Jehovah and the Demiurge should be kinda obvious.

kek

Depends on who is interpreting, really. For me, it's the yoni.

Sounds interesting.

RE Yaweh- i was more leaning on late occult interpretation rather than the Godform in and of itself.

I understand that, and you're right, but in this context I should think the godform is what's being compared to Allah and Ialdabaoth.

Hell, in some traditions of Gnosticism YHVH's a fucntional subordinate of Ialdabaoth/ a separate entity from Demiurge altogether.

>Depends on who is interpreting, really. For me, it's the yoni.
A symbol of the feminine, then?

Pic related, I presume.

Damn no Pentecost

Ape has more eclectic tastes than that.

JAI MAAAAAAA

MAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm so glad I found a way to commune with her that doesn't involve smacked against the ocean floor for over a minute.

So what is ganesha in relation to shaivism? I get the sense that he is a creation of the manifest that stands between it and consciousness but is also the means by which they interact. Thus, illusion and the means by which to transcend it. I read it as a metaphor for ego identity in the sense that it is the waves made by the manifest which are merely reflected within the subject but isn't either. That ego in this sense isn't to be removed but a gate to be opened.

In this sense, he is the verbal component of subject-object relations, the action taken. It also rather nicely explains the incestuous overtones as a predilection for that which is not self mistaking its relationship with the manifest and coming between what lies beneath. But that's just my experience.

>I read it as a metaphor for ego identity in the sense that it is the waves made by the manifest which are merely reflected within the subject but isn't either. That ego in this sense isn't to be removed but a gate to be opened.
I feel this is a valid interpretation when we try to draw parallels between Kynokephalos and Thoth.

The "doingness" of subject/object interplay is sort of implied in comment on Maya. Map ain't the territory, and the map's notations may actually be more interesting than the location being represented.

Oh, yeah. Plus, the Jehovah we inherited is a composite figure. The original god of that name came out of Edom, or some such, and was merged with other west Semitic gods.

Hard to argue with Gabriel. A bit chaste, for my taste.

I was basing it in my interpretation of Lucifer as a hermetic trickster magician and map of the territory. It is the ground of interaction with reality and the source of wisdom in seeing where the map is wrong. Both posts were mine, I was just reiterating. So yeah, I'm drawing a lot of parallels with Thoth, though leaning heavily on the ape as source of wisdom the way a guru mirrors your own behavior in hopes you learn something.

>A bit chaste, for my taste.
>mfw Gabby

>The Ape as Wisdom
My Probation name is Kynokephalos, the Ape of Thoth.
There's a LOOOOOT of interesting material there.

May I direct you to The Vision and the Voice?
sacred-texts.com/oto/418/aetyr15.htm
>And the tablet blazeth ever brighter till it filleth the whole Aire. And behold! there is is one God therein, and the letters of the stars in his crown, Orion, and the Pleiades, and Aldebaran, and Alpha Centauri, and Cor Leonis, and Cor Scorpionis, and Spica, and the pole-star, and Hercules, and Regulus, and Aquila, and the Ram's Eye.

>And upon a map of the stars shalt thou draw the sigil of that name; and because also some of the letters are alike, thou shalt know that the stars also have tribes and nations. The letter of a star is but the totem thereof. And the letter representeth not the whole nature of the star, but each star must be known by itself in the wisdom of him that hath the Cynocephalus in leash.

OP, do you actually believe in this stuff? Or is it just something that interests you

Heh.

I'm actually a sucker for the Pre-Raphaelites generally.

Good, I'm barking up the right tree. Time to get syncretic though my poetics arent very aesthetic but I hope that my dialectic prosody reveals to me the way that be most beneficial to self initiation for those inclined to procrastination in this Aquarian sea of information drowning imaginations and sedating the inclination to self realization.

Yes.

Just keep the internal syntheses coming. Don't mistake a good thesis or antithesis for truth.

You should be fine.

My Savlator Rosa's too huge to post.

Kvlt as fvck.
youtu.be/y_5Nv1v9iD0

Is there an over-arching reasoning in Occultism for the existence of evil?

Probably, if you believe in [spoiler] jeebus [/spoiler]

Several theodicies for several traditions.

Occultism is not an unified body even though there's a lot of crossing over going on.

Even then they seem far more concerned with finding a way out.

>My Savlator Rosa's too huge to post.

Witches at their incantations?

thedarkestart.wordpress.com/tag/salvator-rosa/

Ignorance might do.

Could you list some of the reasonings if possible?

Are there any books in the library related to the dark night of the soul/crossing the abyss stage of spiritual evolution?

The one, in being all things, is beyond such distinctions. From our view, it is ignorance that causes us to act in a harmful way and ignorance of our nature that causes us to suffer. Good and evil don't really play any part. They are dualistic illusions masking the true nature of things that is beyond comprehension.

I saw this on /lit the other day, been browsing, much thanks and appreciation.

How "beginner" is beginner?

Should I know anything else besides world myth/comparitive religion? Can I rely on what I've learned in academics, or do these follow a different train of thought?

For example, even within Gnosticism the Demiurge isn't always the villain, he's somewhat less malevolent and sort of testing the souls in Valentinianism.

Look, I recall a nice Kabbalist interpretation, involving the Zohar, that explains God sometimes not acting in a particularly agreeable manner.

In Judaism, God is the creator of light and darkness (Isaiah 45:7), and the boss of Satan (see the Book of Job).

Hesed, the 4th of the Sephiroth is the right hand of God, the Bahir says it's 'the righteousness of God, His mercies and kindness with the entire world...'

Hesed is translated as loving-kindness.

Gevurah, the 5th of the Sephiroth, is the left hand of God, the Bahir says it's 'the essence of judgment (DIN) and limitation, and corresponds to awe and the element of fire...'

Gevurah is translated as strength, might.

When God executes judgement, if both hands are joined you get justice: proportional, agreeable, directed towards the guilty party only...

When Gevurah detaches itself from the right hand, it will not be mitigated nor directed by Hesed, cue God's wrath in full, and minus the grace.

Now that I think about it, it is very common in mystic and occult traditions to say: "If you're with us, we have the way out, but the lesser man is ignorant, is not with us, he does not know how not to commit evil, he is a slave to his passions, etc."

Well, a would-be Gnostic profits from being acquainted with Plato's Republic and having read the Bible with the Apocrypha (pay special attention to Wisdom and Sirach because of based Sophia, you can save yourself from reading the "historical" books like Esther, the Maccabees and Judith, they suck).

One way or the other you never really stop learning, that's the point.

Butanese story-telling conference call

>Lucifer as hermetic trickster magician

mfw:
youtube.com/watch?v=NljxtaJv-68

What can a person expect from studying these subjects and/or performing whatever exercises prescribed. Is it purely an intellectual undertaking or can something practical or beneficial be acquired, wether in form of wisdom or magic(k)?.

I want to believe that these things actually have merit, but im still skeptical and hesitant to begin.

its not all rituals and incantations, user. Just start with the less magicky stuff.

And what can be expected from the "less magicky stuff"?

buzz-words aside, I'd say a better way to think and live, but I am not OP nor an occult master, I just like the Hermetic stuff

Opinions on Evola, Ape?

>never really stop learning
Sounds good. I will pick up where I left off a few years back learning about Hermetics. I still can't tell if Crowley is over my head or just not for me. Probably over my head.

I'm reading Franz Bardon Initiation into Hermetics. He is using some kind of Tarot deck to aid his writing, anyone know which deck he's using so I can look up the pictures?

Also opinions on Bardon? My first time reading him.

Thank you for the reply user.
So basically a system of thought and a set of virtues it seems.

Low to mid tier.
The Atlantis shit is inexcusable.
He's a better social commentator, and best before he backslid into Christism.

^^^This.

>cue God's wrath in full, and minus the grace.
Poor Sodom.

>Bardon
You're way better going to the core traditions. The deck he's using is his own creation, and to my understanding, never finished or printed.

Look up the number one single star review for IIH on Amazon, that covers most of the pertinent gripes.

>tfw you reached the ultimate truth via Astrotheology and the journey ended right there

Well, it was fun i must admin. But now that i know, nothing amuses me more than pulling the strings. Entertainment is the ultimate truth.

>Hail to Thee, O' Azhdeha, O' Thou ancient dragon of the starry abyss, who art the power beyond all naming, and the primal uncoiling of I!

>mfw limited pseudo-occult books with made up shit are now a thing amongst the "sikret" online roll playing circle jerks

lmfao, that books trailer made me laugh so hard i almost pissed my pants