What's the general consensus here about the samurai?

What's the general consensus here about the samurai?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_settlement_in_the_Japanese_Empire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is that supposed to be some kind of New Wave album cover?

his hates them because they are popular elsewhere

They are a Japanese warrior class.

/thread.
Also your picture shows models, not Samurai. Samurai were busy not wearing armor anymore. Heck some were wearing western uniforms.

>Samurai
overrated desu. not terrible, but not much better than other culture's warrior elite.
>samurai champloo
I wish this show could have gone on forever. ;_;

Bureaucrats.

Honorabru warriors and poets

Dumb gooks who deserved to be euthanized like every other slope to be born

Quality post

They were some of the greatest warriors ever, second only to vikings.

Lol, why theres a weaboo with a stormfront flag??

honorary aryans

They were cool.

only good during Sengoku Jidai, they literally became pointless during Edo Jidai, they got bored and were essentially either cucked pen pushers or bums until Meiji Restoration finally BTFO them for good, Bakumatsu best Jidai of my Jinsei

Feared by Jews.

So probably Veeky Forums too.

and what about the hundreds of years before the sengoku?

Death cult, kind of. Be perfect or die. One mistake and you die. You lose and you die. Bad system that made men believe swords could outperform machine guns on a battlefield.

Less hated then the Vikings.

There were actually western military men with similar thinking when it came to the shock value of cold steel. Of course they were all wrong

>Feared by Jews.
But they are Jews. Japanese are the lost tribes of Israel.

The historical samurai (and ninja) are pretty damn fascinating imo. Most morons can't tell the difference between the real thing and the cartoon fantasy variety sadly.

>overrated desu.
This. They're frogs in a well that excels at fighting each other but have limited scene in the international fields

This. The actual history of the Sengoku Jidai is fascinating in general.

They didnt do bad on the occasions they fought other cultures in hand to hand, they just were not some sort of ultimate warrior.

MUSASHI
U
S
A
S
H
I

Which is doubly insane when you consider that the best, and most prolific, gun-makers of the 1500s were the Japanese.

I think before they were banned, there were more guns in Japan than in all of Europe.

>I think before they were banned,
They were never fucking banned. The Tokugawa just monopolized it's production.
>there were more guns in Japan than in all of Europe.
The meme goes "than any singular European state per capita."

In case you didn't notice, Japan is fucking bigger and more populous than many European countries in the 1500's-1600's.

>In case you didn't notice, Japan is fucking bigger and more populous than many European countries in the 1500's-1600's.

More populous that pretty much all of them except France.

>They were never fucking banned. The Tokugawa just monopolized it's production.

They were available for purchase by any who wanted? Nope.

>The meme goes "than any singular European state per capita."

The figures say more than Europe.

Japan was about the size of France, I think.

Became a samurai after having done all of what he is usually remembered...

Then that's a tall fucking claim for a country that still considers archery viable military weapons while in Europe, its completely phased out.

Besides, Nips sucked at artillery.

>archery

Do you mean /to this day/?

They considered archery an art-form. For the centuries when samurai was a class of bureaucrat, it was an art-form. During the period when Japan was actually at war, they went full gun faster and harder than Europe; in the peace that followed, they successfully banned guns, and general sword ownership (the Great Sword Hunt).

>artillery

That's because they banned the wheel. I don't know, man. Everywhere has weird shit. The weird shit in Japan is that they went full gun, had the best guns, and then lost it for a couple hundred years.

>this is what /pol/ actually believes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_settlement_in_the_Japanese_Empire

Mostly officers during the Sengoku Jidai.

Later during the Edo period some joined administration jobs while most just became useless parasytes. Samurais from the South fight against the Shogunate and take them down.
Them they fight against the Emperor and the Emperor defeats them.

The Shogunate did nothing wrong.

A political class more than an effective military one.

I liked to show too, but no show should go on forever.

bamboo niggers desu

Their armor is cool, and they were decent enough warriors.

Regardless of how overrated they might be, I certainly wouldn't want to find myself fighting one.

>I certainly wouldn't want to find myself fighting one.

I assume on a sword fight, right?

The edo period was two hundred and fifty years, they had nearly six hundred years before that where there were either fighting or governing their own small fiefs.

I can't imagine any warrior class from any period of history that I would want to find myself fighting

They're an incredibly fascinating part of history. Of course, because they're so fascinating, mainstream society has also developed an interest in them, which leads to a lot of misconceptions, which leads to Veeky Forums hating them.

Oh, of course. Matter of fact, my opinion on the Samurai is more or less the same on my opinions of European Knights or Roman soldiers.

Interesting but overrated by weebs.
The weapons and armor they had were not very good because of Japan's metal situation and success they had was in spite of that, not because of some folded a thousand times meme.

this

Some historians say the ancient Israelites went to Japan and established a Shumer (ie Chuck Shumer) community, known as Samurai (Shumeria).

Memes

They were like any other feudal nobility. Some may have bee rightous and honourable but they could also be corupt assholes that fuck over thier subjects

>tfw celts and vikings did similar folding long ass time before them

killer fits, possibly the most aesthetic warrior class

They imported iron. Japan did not exist in a vacuum.

What about sexy Amazon warriors who want to capture and breed with you

>ywn be abducted by Amazons

I don't know, but is that samurai waving a White Pride flag? O.O

Knowing that the practices of the real Sarmatians (the people who inspired the amazons) included scalping, brutal human sacrifice and less than humane treatment of prisioners, i don't believe anyone would ever enjoy being captured by them.

The Sarmatians were brtutal, and sadly one of the most underrated warrior tribes/"barbarians" in all of history.

>they just were not some sort of ultimate warrior.
Wrong, if you disregard the individuals martial prowess, the legitimate samurai is the ultimate warrior. They are the physical incarnate of honour and service above all.

They were okay, but people that obsess over their history are weeaboos.

I don't think it means that to them. Another of them is holding a flag with a triforce, it doesn't represent Legend of Zelda in that situation.

It's a symbol of the Hojo Clan IIRC.

I mean the "Triforce" not the "pride flag"

>the ultimate
Read more history books and you will find many more examples of devoted warriors little different from samurai including many with the same fascination with suicide. It is just that for whatever reason the samurai were glorified more in the modern era.

>It is just that for whatever reason the samurai were glorified more in the modern era.

Because you have a bias against them. You cannot see that they are literally the pinnacle of honour among men. I am not saying this honour didn't exist elsewhere in the world, it's just they are the top, simple as that.

>with the same fascination with suicide
That's not the point.

>Read more history books
I've already read the only important piece of material relating to honour and warriors.

And it's not Hojo, but looks like Shimazu.

I hate weaboos

couldn't even invent the shield

>they just were not some sort of ultimate warrior.
they were, though

not all of them but the high ranking ones usually descended from men that trained pretty much during all their waking moments and when they weren't fighting each other they were training how to kill each other.
so yeah, they couldn't cut tanks with katanas but they were still a very powerful caste which took centuries to perfect

and i'm not even a weeboo but generally the classic samurai would probably do better than the classic knight in terms of martial prowess but ultimately lose since their swords weren't that good and their armours were inferior when compared to the european ones

samurais - specially in the end of their era- were pretty much all a bunch of dicks
they would assassinate, rape and do all kinds of lowly acts and intrigue their way to the top

usually the ones following bushido/the warrior code to the letter were usually the low ranking retainers and the higher you climbed the social pyramid the less loyality (and probably valour) you had

Maori would have eaten them

Thats the Shimazu symbol.

The people from the south were the ones who kickstarted the rebellions against the Shogunate.

Assuming those models are standing for the "last samurai" i'm pretty sure it would be normal for them to use Shimazu flags

Yeah, Satsuma was the base for the Shimazu Clan.

Saigo Takamori, the leader of the Shimazu rebellion, assisted the current leader of the clan

Thanks. I'll be honest, I was wondering why they had a simple cross on their flag, which I personally associate with gnosticism.

Its aight.
I honestly doubt that has anything to do it as the symbol has been used for a long time but the Shimazu were one of the main supporters of christianity in Japan

I've read about some Shimazu clan member joking around that that mon is supposed to symbolize their ability with the 'one-stroke kill". The Circle is the enemy's dome, the horizontal line is the enemy's sword unable to defend the blow and the vertical line is the Shimazu's fast sword slicing the head in two.

There are stories that jigen ryu swordsmen, the most popular style in satsuma, struck with such force during the bakumatsu that people who tried to block their strike ended up with the flat of their blade embedded in their skulls.

Jigen ryu swordsmen would practice thousands of strikes on a wooden target a day

That was probably the story i heard, but couldn't remember

Shimazu clan symbol, and the triforce is the hojo clan one.

That's a hollywood meme, you imbecile. They used firearms ever since the portuguese got there.

I sentence you to death... by SNU SNU!

>Hollywood meme.
Shut up. Sure they fucking used muskets but archers still had a place in a nip battlefield.

user there is literally spouting hollywood memes with gun-bans when IRL they just centralized the production of it.

I know they used archers, but firearms were a very important part of their warfare and the user I was responding to seemed to think The Last Samurai is an historical movie.

last samurai is an historical movie?, are saying that glorious samurai trained white boys in the way of the bushido?

I call it bullshit.

It's the Shimazu clan emblem, the celtic cross is different as the two bars slightly extend outside the circle.
The Shimazu were one of the most important clans of Japan and one of the last to surrender during the Meiji reformation.

"Triforce clan" is the Hojo.

>I've already read the only important piece of material relating to honour and warriors.
Ah yes, written like two centuries after any major wars, he certainly knew about warriors...

Problem is when you compare the Hagakure to what the samurai and bushi routinely did before the Tokugawa shogunate.

Look it up. The Last Samurai is actually based on a true story. Not every scene ofc but the general story of the movie is based off a French officer siding with the Samurai in a similar manner

>Shut up. Sure they fucking used muskets but archers still had a place in a nip battlefield.
When?

>I've already read the only important piece of material relating to honour and warriors.
You might as well watch Star Trek.

>Which is doubly insane when you consider that the best, and most prolific, gun-makers of the 1500s were the Japanese.

Nope.

Chinese.

Japanese army got BTFO by Ming China's cannons and three barrelled guns.

>sandals and socks

No.

Nope.jpg.

Muskets Per Capita m8. Ming China had lotsa guns but it wasn't evenly distributed among it's military forces. China had a huge fucking army, not to mention it's steppe units are cavalrymen reliant on archery, though supported by musketeers & cannons.

Although the Ming Dynasty aces the shit out of Japan in terms of artillery, number of artillery, distribution of artillery and artillery tactics and deployment. Which is why Chink doctrine can live with uneven firearms distribution so long as there's fucking cannons supporting even a traditional Chink army.

Maori were only could at making earthworks and trenches to lure in whitebois for a trap. Niggas didn't even have missile weapons like bows

You're out of your mind

Japanese didn't do too well against Ming cavalry.

Byeokjegwan and Jiksan show that the Japanese had trouble even with superior numbers.

Best warriors in the world.

What comic?

That's because unlike vikings samurai were at least fighting armed men.

>Colorful armor

they look like gay parade

Nice bait friend.