Did people from Ancient Greece actually believe Zeus was real the same way modern Christians believe in a Christian God?

Did people from Ancient Greece actually believe Zeus was real the same way modern Christians believe in a Christian God?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bb22YcUlhjA
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810005000851
youtube.com/watch?v=e1CWBKRWIg0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do you say God is a Christian?

I don't have historical evidence to support this, but given how much time they spent on their mythology, it's probably not unreasonable to think that it wasn't mythology to them. But there's also no reason to think that they were deluded enough to create deities and then believe these deities existed on their own.

So you're saying Christians can believe in a non-Christian God?

why would Cuckrist be any more "real" than Zeus?

Because historians unanimously agree that Jesus existed.

> the same way modern Christians believe in a Christian God
They believed in him even more. Moderns Christians are glorified larpers.

>Did people from Ancient Greece actually believe Zeus was real

Considering that they prayed to them, yes.

D-DELET THIS

Not quite unanimously, but overwhelmingly sure

Yes, at least during the early period.

i'm not talking about the man, i'm talking about their 3-in-1 "God"

what makes him any more "real" than Zeus/Odin/Krishna/Amaterasu/etc?

No, I'm saying God is not a Christian.

He is God.

So he is the god as described by christians, aka the christian god

Er, God's not a Swiss Army knife. He's an eternal triune supernatural entity Whom you will meet face-to-face.

And you're really not ready for that meeting.

He's God as revealed by God. He's YHWH. He's the Great I Am. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is Christ Jesus Himself.

Zeus is just Adam deified by the Greeks. You can see it on their pottery; you can see it on the Parthenon.

> not ready for that meeting
You don't need to be ready. God wouldn't kill you or even harm and if he tried... Well he is God and how you gonna to stop him?

What if God is just an asshole and he likes people suffering so much that he even created an eternal place of torture for his entertainment? Who said God had to be good by nature?

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

It's a horrifying thought, is it not?

For starters nobody claimed he was created like any of those, nor did they give a location of his house with a distinct longitude, and latitude

I dont care about your fan fiction

Because evil is the absence of God

And I don't care about yours.

From what I understand, not quite.

While he was top-dog, he wasn't the one behind creation,
he didn't create humans and is more "worldly" then how I would imagine most Christians see YHWH.

They probably saw him as a Man-Upstairs who shouldn't be fucked with, but Zeus by far was more tumultuous, physical and sexual.

I believe user is offering a thought experiment.

Maybe that's what he wants you to believe

> absence
> of omnipresent being

Zeus is just Adam.

Do none of you know that the pagans made their gods and demi-gods after people?

Why would you? Good thing I havent offered any

>Legitimate and interesting historical question derailed into YET ANOTHER THEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT ABOUT CHRISTIANITY
God damn it I hate Veeky Forums more every day

> Zeus is just Adam

>Asked Abraham to sacrifice his son
>Nah man chill, it was just a prank!
What would we do without God?

God doesn't real and Zeus is not Adam.

That's your fanfic.

Constantine just went directly from Jupiter to Apollo. Horrible pic.

My book says so.

And a God Who could just raise Isaac from the dead, so that He could keep His promise to Isaac's unborn heirs?

What shall we do with that God?

>derailed
I wouldn't say that. It's more of a group of anons reducing their opponent's argument ad absurdum to try to come up with an answer for OP.
That, or your average ad hominem thread, in which case you're right.

Hahahahahah

Great contribution. A man killing himself. Great poster, you. Just awesome.

It's like asking if Buddha is a Buddhist.

This is the autism of autism

Autism = lack of empathy = atheism = cannot realize God is a person = psychopathic thinking behaviors.

So, that would be you, not me.

>what do you mean he's a Christian God?
>he is Christ
Are you legitimately retarded?

Weren't there a little group of modern pagans who still believe Zeus is real?

>Zeus is just Adam deified by the Greeks
It would be the other way around, since Zeus's name came before Adam and Amun before Zeus.

And you're not really ready for an adult conversation

So then the soul isn't eternal, got it.

I never claimed god didnt exist. I never even claimed zeus wasnt adam, although that is a hilariously retarded idea and im claiming it now

Is Buddha a Buddhist?

Zeus, literally the first man, after someone else.

kek

Father of humanity. First man. Adam. Zeus.

Correct. Your soul did not exist before you were conceived.

Once conceived, then it lives forever. Don't be deceived by your own misunderstanding of that verse; the destruction is eternal, not "until you don't exist".

>backpedaling this fast after your pretentious question was BTFO

If Buddha was considered a god by only Buddhists, then he'd be the Buddhist god. No fucking shit

God is not a Christian.

He is God.

This seems difficult for you to understand for some reason.

If you agree that God is a person, Christfags try to damage control hard because they don't want him to be a literally Jewish sky wizard.

>But there's also no reason to think that they were deluded enough to create deities and then believe these deities existed on their own.

Isn't that the basis of every religion?

I have no problem with Jesus being the Root of David, the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the King of the Jews, and the King of Kings.

Why would I?

But it doesn't live forever if its destroyed, so the claim that the soul is eternal is false. Only the Christian soul would be eternal.

Again, being destroyed forever. No end. You never die. The fire never goes out. Eternal torment.

Zeus was neither the first man nor the father of humanity. He was the eldest of the second generation of gods. Men were created by prometheus, a member of the first generation of gods

But he is the Christian God

> Zeus
> literally the first man
Are you pretending to be retarded here? He wasn't the first man or even the first God.

If he Kings of Kings does it means that he rules over himself?

Its doesnt say hes the king of king of kings so no

youtube.com/watch?v=Bb22YcUlhjA

Apparently you don't understand what the word destruction is. Oh wait I forgot, the Bible can be translated literally any fucking way you'd like, nvm.

No, He's God.

He existed before there were Christians.

I can't imagine why this is a difficult concept.

kek

King of King of Kings.

And apparently you cannot fathom that you are an eternal being, and that your destruction would take an eternity.

And still not be accomplished.

>autism=psychopathy
shut the fuck up kid and kill yourself. you're of no use to this planet and you're perspective on life and its effect on society is fucking cancer.

Prove it. Since you cant prove it, the christian gods is just one of millions of proposed gods, and as such needs to be distinguished from the others

Zeus has literally nothing in common with adam that isnt

>God is a person

Getting really fucking Heretical there.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810005000851

Responding to the emotions of others: Dissociating forms of empathy through the study of typical and psychiatric populations

So mad.

So ill advised.

youtube.com/watch?v=e1CWBKRWIg0
Two can play this game, user

Might as well just post Zeitgeist.

kek

This is some bizarre fucking trolling I'm witnessing.

dude you're a fucking idiot. Destruction is the opposite of creation. It is annihilation. Ceasing to exist. To do so eternally is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

Why would I be mad? Your just one more nameless person whose wrong on the internet. You dont even have any bad arguments to induce rage

No, at most they agree that a man named Jesus existed, who claimed to be the son of god, who claimed to do magic shit.

But Jesus is a character in a book, doing literal magic. Just because there might be a kid named Harry Potter in England, who claims to be a wizard, doesn't mean that Harry Potter, the character from the books, actually exists.

God isn't a real entity that have an emotions. So you can't diagnose autism from atheism anyway.

>Egyptians were the ancient creators of religion
Sumerians didn't exist?

And when that process, that destruction process, like setting something on fire, has as its core an eternal being?

Then the fire is eternal. And the eternal person never dies.

Mark 9 quoting Isaiah
And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— where

‘Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.’

Sumerian religion has far more interesting parallels with abrahamic but everyone pushes the tenuous or nonexistent egyptian shit

Says who, you?

Didn't everyone who was born before Jesus go to hell, or something like that? And Jesus had to go pick 'em up after centuries of torment for the sin of being born before him?

Dont think about it too hard, every explanation cascades out into more problems than it solves

>there are people on this board, who believe that an all-knowing being, who routinely sends revelations to people about future, can not know deeds of all men from now to end of the world
>there are people on this board, who believe that even if said being knows all future, it still can judge people he created KNOWING THEY WOULD DISOBEY HIM
>there are people who think that said being could judge people over deeds they had no influence on (as the future was already known to this being) without being evil, cruel and unjust
>moreover, they think that a man who made this being's masterplan possible by allowing son of this being (a son to a woman it wad not married to, I might add) to take all sins from all humans
>all that while still not being able to answer if all-powerful being can create a stone too heavy for it to lift

You could argue that when god shows people prophecys or whatever hes nott seeing the future hes stating the things he will make happen at a later date

Nothing can be said with any certainty whatsoever about the type of god which Christians propose.
To live your life based on your interpretation of it if it even exists should be classifies as a mental disorder.
Half of this thread belongs in a mental asylum as far away from society as possible.

Which would make him even more of an asshole.

Perhaps, but a more logically consistent one

t. Lord Voldemort

You are fundamentally incorrrct. The greeks created their gods in man's image rather than the other way around

>actually believe Zeus was real the same way modern Christians believe in a Christian God?
modern christians don't actually believe god is real.

>Who said God had to be good by nature?
Erm, he did...

That argument can equally be applied to any religion

What's the point of discussing the history of religion on this board when true believers derail this shit every time?

For fucks sake.