Why do American neckbeards, typically not of Greek or surrounding heritage...

Why do American neckbeards, typically not of Greek or surrounding heritage, seem to have a heavy interest the Byzantine Empire?

I feel like the stereotype of them liking vikings is essentially over. Nowadays what I mainly see is them obsessing over Byzantium.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CnvCjG_gEHc
youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because like the Byzantine Empire, we too will be overrun by Muslims. We must learn from the past to fight for our future.

Cause they can't be Catholic or Protestant because it's too mainstream, so they rebel by becoming Orthodox.

What you can learn from Byzantine? Being in debt and calling le helpful venetian merchant for a help?

As an American, I'll say it's fascinating because it sort of blows our minds.

We go through all our high school days learning that the Roman Empire fell in the 5th Century AD. This gets DRILLED into us. We're very much children of Gibbon, still.

Then we go to college or start reading, and we find out there's almost an entire extra millennium of the Roman Empire, it's just not based in Rome.

It is, as I said, mind-blowing. It's like finding out that the the Sun orbits the Earth after all. It's something we were taught as children turning out to be totally, completely wrong. It fascinates us.

I myself have ancestry from Southern Italy which was part of the Byzantine empire for many years. I find the Byzantine empire to be fascinating but I don't particularly care for it as much as say the classical Roman Empire and to the point where I'll shitpost on threads and being very obnoxious about it.

The Byzantine Empire wasn't overrun by muslims, it was destroyed by Christians and civil wars

Oh shit. I didn't realize that was a stereotype; I've liked Byzantines forever, now I feel like people are gonna think I'm some kind of faggot poser.
The Byzantine Empire was fairly advanced for it's time, had a lot of inner conflict, and the Muslim encroachment is interesting. The sack and later fall of Constantinople, the Latin shit, Manzikert, etc are all very entertaining subjects.

I'm a byzaboo american neckbeard with Greek heritage and for me it's partially the 10/10 aesthetic, partially the fact I'm greek and partially the fact that it was a powerful empire brought down by backstabbings, incompetence, and invaders at the gates with few true allies to speak of. It makes for a great story that appeals very much to a Game of Thrones crowd.

To be honest, I don't think this is it at all. Maybe for you personally, but not for others.

I think for others, it's mainly born out of a fetishization of the Crusades. Especially with anti-muslim sentiments being stoked in neckbeard circles these past few years.

That and the realization that vikings were neither very important nor interesting.

here
To be clear I'm keeping this solely in line with the demographic OP laid out: white american dudes with no mediterranean heritage who previously stereotypically loved viking/celt/germanic shit

Also don't forget the Byzzies are very viking adjacent, with the Varangian guard being the Emperor's bodyguard after all

Americans have some kind of brain problem concerning heritage. Like you'll see retards going on about how they're Irish or German.

>vikings were neither very important nor interesting

Maybe if you went to a shit school. We learned about the ERE pretty thoroughly.

I think it's just the contrarian tendency you find among such sorts. Vikings were once cool because they were considered badass and demonized extensively, then once it became more commonly known that they were successful traders, explorers, colonists, etc. they stopped being cool and thus the Byzantine empire which carried on the glory of Rome (sort of, but not really) for a millennium while being somewhat unknown was an interesting next step.

There's that, but I'm still leaning on what I see as the occam's razor answer, which is that byzantines had a lot of high-profile conflict with early islam and that appeals to neckbeards nowadays.

Google some combination of "byzantine" and "remove kebab" to see what I mean. I think a lot of them were only very dimly aware of the civilization 5 years ago.

>I'm Greek

You're not.

>Google some combination of "byzantine" and "remove kebab" to see what i mean

oh jesus christ

americans pls stop ruining memes

My maternal grandmother's name was Stasinopoulos. I said I have Greek heritage

"the fact I'm greek"

no you're not

If you don't have black hair and hairy-ass legs and a cousin named Zacharias who's kind of a guido and your mom doesn't talk like this youtube.com/watch?v=CnvCjG_gEHc including the eye-squint thing

you're not greek

Part Greek then. I'm sorry.

You're probably part Mongol too, yet you're not over here claiming to be Mongolian. Some vague genetic link to a far off place doesn't make you a part of that culture or people. You're American.

No none of my family comes from Finland

He never said he was Greek. He said he has Greek heritage.

Dude fuck off its a tangible link to another culture stop being an autist he can be interested in his heritage if he wants

Oh, disregard. I'm an idiot.

That's somewhat taking it out of context.

sounds like your thread is bollox

Autists got bored and started to LARP as crusaders

>"Deus Bult, my ancestors speag to me"

Because Byzantium was Rome, a civilisation that created western civilisation and it fell in a very tragic and dramatic way.

ΣΩΣΟΝ ΚΥΡΙΕ ΤΟΝ ΛΑΟ ΣΟΥ

Ο ΜΑΡΜΑΡΩΜΕΝΟΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΙΑΣ ΘΑ ΣΗΚΩΘΕΙ

ΠΑΛΙ ΜΕ ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΜΕ ΚΑΙΡΟΥΣ ΠΑΛΙ ΔΙΚΙΑ ΜΑΣ ΘΑ ΝΑΙ

>>I feel like the stereotype of them liking vikings is essentially over.
You're wrong. I like both Classical polytheist rome and also vikings.

Byzantium does absolutely nothing for me.

T. Neckbearded American.

>being anti-muslim means you're a neckbeard.

Feel free to redirect me to /pol/ like the memer you are, but I don't think you're on the right website.

Crusaders have always been idolised, it's not a modern trend.

>implying bulgayyrians trigger byzaboos

How is that the "Occam's razor" when it's based entirely on your own dumb biased opinion you fucking retard?

I could just as easily say people like Byzantium because they're colored purple in gs games, Occam's Razor bruh, simplest answer.

Why the fuck would he be part Mongol

>le X% of people are related to Genghis Khan

Yeah, because most of the world's population just so happen to live where he did all his raping. That doesn't mean a fucking inuit or a Welshman is likely to have Mongol blood.

That's not what he said though.

>anti-muslim sentiments being stoked in neckbeard circles

The neckbeard circles (ie: 4chins) are already established, and people are stoking those sentiments within them. It doesn't equate neckbeard to anti-islam or vice versa.

The Crusades weren't always idolized either. They had their detractors same as anything else.

christ man learn to read in the right direction

>turks are steppeshits related to mongols
>turks take over ERE including all of Greece
>"I'm Greek"
>high probability of having some% Mongol genes

QED

Here, I apologize and admit I am but a neckbeard with greek HERITAGE and that's why I'm interested in them, due to me being a quarter greek but ultimately being American byzaboo and you admit you're being an autist and misreading my intent. Deal?

They've been idolised throughout all of modern history. Basically ever since the Crusades actually ended the Crusaders were shown as idolic figures in many pieces of European and Christian art. I would say that the demonising of the Crusaders and equating them with groups like ISIS is more of the modern trend

What did he mean by this?

>Implying

Turks are less than 5% central asian turk, not even Mongolian

And that percentage is even lower in west Turkey

Turks are just turko-persianized Anatolians

>All Greeks are turk rapebabies which is why they no longer have glorious snow white skin, blue eyes and blond hair

""""""PROBABILITY""""""

What a shitty symbol. Never liked their eagle.

Extremely low

I got something more your speed.

>rebel by becoming orthodox

odd

this was it for me. i had no idea the byzantine empire existed until late high school when i found out about it by myself. it was never brought up or mentioned in world history, ever. rome fell in 476 AD and then it was all the middle ages, which only focused on what was going on in western europe. actually the middle ages were pretty well skipped over so we could get to the renaissance

t. muttiest mutt of an american who is such a fucking mutt he has zero connection to any of his heritage, and spergs out whenever a person claims he has x heritage if its not 100%. Just fuck off m8

>This gets DRILLED into us
No it doesn't you retarded nigger

In England, most people I know don't even know there was an Eastern Empire

Roman history is just interesting, i dunno why this is hard to get.

t.not american not greek or from the balkans

>people like the Byzantine Empire because they idolize the Crusades
what sort of mental gymnastics does one have to train in to reach this sort of conclusion

if you weren't such a fucking bluepilled nu-male and watched RealCrusadeHistory you'd realise the fall of byzantium was 100% the fault of the muslims. The fucking Catholics did EVERYTHING THEY FUCKING COULD to save the holy land and Byzantine, but the fucking muzzies had to go and fucking conquer.

Fourth Crusade
Robert Guiscard & the Normans

fuck off cuckold

check out this channel: youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory

it's the only legitimate source for the crusades; now get redpilled.

nice false flag
shitpost somewhere else faggot

There is another reason why the Byzantine Empire should interest you.

In 50 years or so you will become a lot like it.

shut the fuck up

posting fucking sources of education isn't fucking shitposting

I'm trying to fucking educate that other guy with the true history, not go through "a covert operation to deceive by a nation or state" you fucking autist cuck.

Schlomo get out

yes I do fucking believe that the crusades were a good thing

I do believe the holy land should be defended

I do believe that Byzantine shouldn't have fallen

I do believe that Christian lands should be defended by Christians

if that fucking "offends" you, then that's too bad. Because I don't care.

was the Fourth Crusade a good thing though

/pol/tards like you are an embarrassment to Christians, and need to larp elsewhere

Its original goal was to sack Cairo and thus cripple one of the stronger Muslim forces in the ME. Venice holding the debts Crusaders owes is the one who had them attack fellow Christians.

glad you can use Wikipedia
did you know the Venetians weren't Muslims?
did you know another goal of diverting to Constantinople was to heal the schism that had occured a few decades before and persists today?

Isn't that eagle a selcuk türk symbol? :^)

its the symbol of the Palaiologos dynasty you smelly roach

>its the symbol of the Palaioloğlu dynasty
fixed

TAKE IT BACK

I don't get it. Is this Turkish innuendo? It sounds like something only Turks would find funny.

Sorry, you seem to be confused, but the helpful users of Veeky Forums's History and Humanities board are here to gladly help clear this up.

What is often thought of as "Byzantium", "the Byzantines", or "the Byzantine Empire", is actually in fact "the Roman Empire". This is due to the Roman Empire in Constantinople's former status as the Eastern Roman Empire. When the Western Roman Empire was gone, the Eastern Roman Empire became the one and true Roman Empire, and as it was ruled by the Emperor of Rome. Any usage of any form of "Byzantium" is reductive to the dignity of the Roman Empire at this time, and lends credence to the belief that the Western Roman Empire continued in the form of the Holy Roman Empire, which was in fact not holy, not Roman by any reasonable stretch, and not actually an Empire in anything but name. There was also no such office or title as "Emperor of Byzantium" or "Emperor of the Byzantines" at any point in history.

I'm glad to have been helpful in addressing this small matter and I hope you have a good day :)

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

What you’re referring to as Byzantium, is in fact, Basileia Romaion or to you English speakers, The Roman Empire. Byzantium is not a historical name unto itself, but rather another example of Germanic revisionism.

>Roman
>doesn't include Rome
k

>created by Roman people
>isn't Roman
k

Just kill yourself
The Roman state moved the center of it's empire, and eventually lost territory to other kingdoms in the west. This isn't up for dispute, and ever actual historian will say the same thing. This is coming from someone who thinks the Byzantines were trash, and the 4th crusade was one of the best things to happen in the medieval world

fuck off
>>>/venice/

>t.
>yurocuck who has nothing else but indoctrinated nationalist rhetoric to fall back on
pay your debts pls greeks

(You)

Arrived late for the party but I think a lot of if has to do with their enfatuation for memeodoxy.

Modern man craves for sanity in an insane world.

Protestantism = wars for Israel.
Catholicism = washing refugee feet.

Memeodoxy seems like the best alternative.

>infatuation*

>m-muh muh Byzantine huritage

if it doesn't have rome then it can't really call itself the roman empire

Why not? It was the Senior Empire, it had the direct line of government succession.

>You're probably part Mongol too
And you're probably part Turk considering your slut of a great-grandmother more than likely spread her legs for every Kebab this side of the Dardanelles.

I mean for the last hundred years of the Western Roman Empire the city of Rome itself was regarded as a bit of a dump and all the important stuff happened in Ravenna.

Yes and then overrun by Muslims.

It's plausible I don't deny it. I'm not over here claiming to be Ottoman or some shit though.

Because americans have an irrational fear of muslims, while ignoring the butchery done by cartels just south of their border. I don't get it, I'm not saying go love muslims or anything but americans tend to fear enemies far beyond more than the enemy within or just outside. More Americans are killed by cartels than muslim terrorism but still media only shows them isis and they eat whatever they are served.

Most of them don't know about much of the history either, An american was began to talk shit about muslims when I was mentioning the sack of constantinople in 1204, I wish I was joking.

No one denies that, but only amerifats go muh 1/64 heritage.

For all that eurotrash talk america has a good culture a long tradition and a strong identity, stop trying to be something else, being 1/64 does not make you a greek, having a greek great grandmother does not make you a greek. If you tell you are a greek but cannot talk in greek people will just laugh at you.

>Watching RealCrusadeHistory
That fucker hates muzzies so fucking much, that the shit he says is laughable. it is worse yet when he brings on "studied academic" from the local Community College to jerk him off

Why does everyone assume that the entire African continent is just going to join up in the future?

Because they're fucking idiots.