I'm heading to college next semester, and I pretty much want to do one of those build your wardrobe things...

I'm heading to college next semester, and I pretty much want to do one of those build your wardrobe things. I want to start dressing nice, and have enough clothes that'll allow me to do so. Could you guys help me in making a good wardrobe for college? Any help is appreciated, such as a checklist of shit everyone should have in your opinion, or more detailed help. Here's pretty much my entire wardrobe: pastebin.com/vDtvhD1s.

I'm a skinny, somewhat lanky male. Also I have a 100$ Kohl's giftcard that I will be wanting to use. I'm sure some of you have fun helping people do this

Other urls found in this thread:

hm.com/us/product/65718?article=65718-F#article=65718-F
amazon.com/Salomon-Ultra-Hiking-Autobahn-Pewter/dp/B00ZLMZ5WA/
amazon.com/dp/B01HH8BT1G
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shit wardrobe, ugly cheap gimmicky furniture

Not mine

Try not to take advice from Igor.

Not sure where you're going to school but heres some general advice:

-Start with the basics. Buy some pants and T-shirts that fit you the way you want them to.
-Get some collared/oxford shirts that are good for business casual
-Get some shoes that don't look tacky

Once you have the basics down, you can start to experiment more because you'll know what fits your style or doesn't, or if you want to evolve, etc.

>men's clothes
>jonas brothers poster
it just doesnt add up

are you going to be living in the dorms? or an apartment off-campus? i know for me, dorm closets didn't provide shit space to do anything

It's a school in the midwest

this is a really stupid question, but a lot of times I feel like basic solid-colored tees are mainly for using as undershirts or for layering, so I don't have many of them. is this not the case?
in the dorms, but to be fair i think i've heard there's more closet space than usual where i'll be staying (still might not be a lot)

It is not the case. What is your overall budget? I know you have the Kohl's giftcard but I'd highly recommend Uniqlo for most basics.

I wouldn't really want to go over a few hundred dollars, preferably under 200.. but it really depends, I have money for a higher budget but I have other expenses such as textbooks and dorm stuff I'll need to take care of

The thing with ordering online is, I'm always scared of how it will fit, since you can't try it on in-store. I know Uniqlo is great for basics, but again I just have a little bit of a fear for stuff not fitting right and having to go through a pain to return it. What should I spend my Kohl's card on, if not for basics? I'm not sure if there are certain things that are fine to buy from there and certain things to definitely not buy from them.

I'm not really sure about the Kohl's card since the store isn't really well documented. I went through this exact phase with college/university so I'll try to give my input but I didn't have to spend anything on outerwear since I live in California so keep that in mind.

Pants are probably the easiest category. I'd recommend wearing nothing but black pants and I mean this seriously. It is extremely difficult to mess up a fit with black pants if you have the right colors on top. I like Levi's but I think I prefer Uniqlo more for the comfort. Not much else to say here. If you like Levi's, get them. 511s are universally good and you can always get them tailored (hemmed/tapered) for the perfect fit. H&M has some cool pants every now and then. I love their cargo pants, both the joggers and trek pants or w/e they call them.

T-shirts are super important. I have a darker wardrobe, so the colors I'd prefer as a starter are black, white, gray, navy blue, maroon, brown. These colors all go extremely well with black pants. This can also apply to sweatshirts. I'd prioritize the first 4 since you can't mess up the colors.

Shoes are honestly up to you. I preferred the runners aesthetic when I started. Roshe Runs lasted me ~3 years with no maintenance throughout all of college.

Pants will run you ~70 if you buy 2 pairs (wait for sales). T-shirts about 60 if they're $10 each but idk how much they cost as Kohl's. Shoes will be $60-70. This is around $200 but you still need to account for sweatshirts and outerwear if you need it. Don't be afraid to order online and return anything that doesn't fit (its free on most big websites). Don't be afraid to buy things secondhand from Grailed/eBay. Don't be afraid to thrift. Fashion is all about expressing yourself so make sure to lurk and build your own style. If you have any questions please let me know.

I've never been a huge fan of black pants, mainly because I feel like they get noticeably dirty really easily.. don't like looking down and seeing hairs and shit.. i'll think about buying a pair though

For shoes I feel like I have enough, besides maybe missing one pair of nicer dress shoes.

really just try to never reply to him

> under 200
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I said i'm open to higher

Well to start with basics go for some basic t-shirts you will need at least 2 in white and 2 or 3 in different colours (like navy, grey or black) maybe 1 or 2 polo shirts for summer.
Button up shirts are your best friends becouse they are versitile and formal enough to be worn to lectures you will need at least 1 white and one in other color (don't get fooled by checkered shirt meme go for simple color like navy or forest green). For colder days you should invest in a nice sweater basic or with some inoffensive pattern like stripes or dots.
Pair of nice black or dark grey pants will be perfect for every ocasion I'd recommend chinos but you can get jeans if you like just don't get them in any shade of blue its played out and IMO looks too informal for some occasions.
If you want to dress nice then you can also go for some nice black derbies but they tend to be pretty expensive so white leather basic sneakers shoud be ok too (could be stan smiths or court vantage if you don't mind the basic bitches all around you wearing them all the time and if you do check shoes in COS they have really nice white sneakers for about 100$)
I guess thats enough to start with

helpful, thanks friend

kek

nice fucken jonas brothers poster

thanks, i'm also building a wardrobe. i'm 5'9 24 male. i'm gravitating towards short sleeve polos and long sleeve dress shirts and don't intend to use t-shirts. also thinking about only getting "slim fit" clothes. slim fit chinos and jeans only. i don't like shorts. i took some measurements:
waist 31 1/5
chest 34
abdomen 30 1/2
head 21
shoe size 10.5
probably not relevant.
i've already started purchasing. i've only ever known autism clothes. so far i have bought these:
hm.com/us/product/65718?article=65718-F#article=65718-F
one in light beige and another in black, i just bought these yesterday and now today they are $7 cheaper :(

amazon.com/Salomon-Ultra-Hiking-Autobahn-Pewter/dp/B00ZLMZ5WA/
and these shoes because they are tactical

i'm looking at h&m and uniqlo and banana republic for slim fit polos and dress shirts now

also want to mention that i have an embarrassing receding hairline so i like hats like this i just ordered:
amazon.com/dp/B01HH8BT1G

nothing obnoxious or anything, and i know they know i am wearing it because of my hairline and that is acceptable to me

I was in a similar spot starting college a few years ago. As others have said, finding your own style is top priority. Anything else is going to look/feel like a costume otherwise. You can get by on ~$200, but considering half of that is in Kohl's you're somewhat limited. I don't think button downs and dress shoes are a realistic daily option, so I wouldn't go down that road just yet.. save up for higher quality clothes you can wear to an interview later down the road.

Uniqlo is having a decent clearance sale right now. You're probably a small in their shirts, I'm 6'0 and wear small for a true fit. Other than that, get some black jeans and cheap sneakers you won't mind beating up from wear every day. A lot of retro runners are cheap, check ebay or similar before going straight to adidas, nike, reebok websites. I haven't been to Kohl's in a while, don't really know what to tell you for that.

I might be blind, but I don't really see this sale you're talking about

Dress like a bro so you are accepted to the massive free pussy community known as Sorority girls and people will think you are a jock and approach you for friendships. Doesn't matter what skin color you are or weight. Wear polo or neon muscle tee, backwards hat, ray bans, sperrys, a sunburn, and either khaki shorts or gym shorts.

freshman help general? freshman help general.

i will personally be going to college in two months; while I have a general look going for me I'm not quite sure how I should go about organizing it. I have a system for shirts; but not so much for pants and skirts. any advice?

bump-desu