Shaving

Right Veeky Forums, I'm finally sick of all the bullshit of trying to get a good shave with my electric meme razors. I'm going to buy a safety razor TODAY. What should I know before I use it? I feel like this is the last hope left for my face.

I don't get why this shit is always framed as electric VS. manual. USE THEM BOTH.

Good god. I use my electric to knock the bulk of the whiskers off then finish with manual for a close shave.

I cannot be the only one who does it this way.

If your facial hair gets even remotely more than a few days long, using only manual is pulling hell.

Electric and manual complement each other.

This.

not sure, I have always used a straight razor

Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to your face.
The motion should be slow and steady. Rinse it with hot water after each motion to remove hair and cream.
Rinsing it with hot AND cold water damages the blade.

I just use an electric razor to get the stragglers so I don't have to shave over the same area again, causing irritation or cuts

Why Veeky Forums, ask your father.

Try something like a pre-shave cream. They make the blade easier to glide along the face

Try something like a Merkur 34C. Not too aggressive and can get a close shave with no irritation.

I would recommend trying a Derby blade, bit blunt imo but still good when you're learning. Astra SPs are even better and cause little to no irritation but sharper.

If you want to get into the soap/cream and brush stuff that is optional, but it can provide a more dense and protective lather. Just look for a very decently priced brush, around $12 is gucci, and a decent soap around the same price.

You can get all this shit at Italian Barber, lad

It's really not that hard. Don't apply too much pressure and go with the grain. There is a reason they are called safety rasors - they're shave.

Just get a Gillette Mach 3.

are you talking about a cartridge razor? because yeah they're shit at long hair but the OP safety razor is just a sharp blade and is way better for taking off a full beard in one go.

Gillette Fusion would be better. I own both and 5 blades are just so nice in the Fusion. they do a much better job than just 3. because the Mach 3 doesn't get off everything.

You will probably nick yourself in the beginning.
Get an alum stick with your razor.

Try out different blades and see what you like. Feather makes the sharpest and best blades by far, but they are not beginner friendly.

OP here. I can't fucking believe it. I've searched York for 3 fucking hours and I didn't find a single safety razor. What's going on? How are people getting good shazes if nobody's selling the good razors?

>get a shittier shave for like 10x more per shave
no thanks

I just started on mine, coming from an electric. I did this to cut down on irritation and ingrown hairs, and get a closer shave generally. I went with canned cream though I may try wet shaving after I master the basics.

It takes forever and I'm nicking myself and missing spots left and right. This will get better with time.

I still have my electric, which I'll use to clean up sideburns between haircuts.

What's the point of a safety razor anyway, compared to a throwable one?

Closer shave, less irritation as cartridge ones work by cutting so much then tugging the rest of the hair.

Fucking amazon morning express you peasant

Can't. I'm a university student, deliveries to my accommodation are extremely unreliable.

Is there a reason why every article shaving-related is expensive as shit? I'm talking about the beard balms, oils, the proraso stuff...

It's all so expensive.

I'd recommend getting some shaving soap and a brush and apply it thoroughly in circles. Reapply if it starts to dry. Shave right after a warm shower. Don't go over the same area too many times.

Extremely cheap to buy blades.

Might be cheap, but they're hard to find. Boots occasionally sells refills and that's about it.

read the tux bell, whole section on it

It's to justify their new toy.

Everytime a movie comes out nerds get obsessed with de shaving

Last time it was James Bond Spectre with the special edition razors de and straight.

This time it's the trailer for kingsmen that played before wonderwoman.

That's the sole reason he wants to play Uber shaver

Lol at feather plus alum block. You're a bastard you know that?

>Lol at feather plus alum block

Aware me?

Isn't that basically just "get a safety razor"?

Try it and find out

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

You should do a deep sea salt and lemon juice facial to exfoliate too

I prefer the mach3 more control when shaving junk.

But I'm not about to lie. I got that lightsaber star wars Gillette fusion handle that came out with star wars vii

>proraso stuff
>expensive
Mate you have no idea how much worse it can get.

But come on, you can do de shaving on the cheap. Buy your choice of shaving cream/foam/soap, you need it either way, a synthetic brush if necessary, get one of those ~$30 merker razors and a sample pack of blades, switching up to a big box once you know what works. It's like $50 initially. Plus next to nothing for bulk orders of blades. That's it.

Smart man.

Yeah, Proraso and Arko is the cheapest shit you can get, what are you even looking at? I know their balms are a little pricey but their soaps are peanuts

|
|>
|

Anyone here got any experience with straight edge razors? they look sick so i was thinking about getting one. are they really that hard to use? would you recommend them?

U can get it delivered to ur local paki shop m9

Bullshit.

You're all faggots

After I shave I put on aftershave to sterilise the minor cuts. It feels good and clean that day but the following day I come up in a rash. Any way to stop this?

Astras are really good DE blades
they shave well with almost any DE razor

blades a pretty person dependent, just buy a sample pack and test different ones.

persona blues work best for me (cut like feathers but stay sharp longer), don't know why, not care.

I don't think they're related. Maybe you're using a blade that doesn't work well on your skin. Or you're just shaving too aggressively. Also use a styptic pen for nicks, not fucking aftershave.

I think I shave too aggressively but I can never get a clean shave the first time. Does that mean my razor is blunt?

Could go either way. It's likely blunt if you're making multiple passes just to get a clean shave, but super sharp blades on sensitive (or even normal) skin can cause razor burn too. Are making one or more passes against the grain? And are you putting a bit too much pressure? Either can be problematic.

best advice I can give is to not apply any pressure

follow that and you'll be fine

The first round I shave with the grain but a lot of hair is left so I reapply shaving cream and go against the grain but I think apply too much pressure to make sure I get a clean shave.

Where do you even get those? I've never seen one for sale anywhere.

Fucking hell, managed to cut myself twice with an electric razor. I fucking hate these things, if I only go with the grain then the cut isn't anywhere near close enough, but if I go against it I fucking cut myself.

I'd check local barbers or shaving shops depending on where you live. You can also buy them online of course but I'd get one second hand if possible so you can try it without paying out the nose.

>local barbers
What fucking barber sells razors?

Oh shit so did I! It's my daily shaver

eBay
plenty of shave ready razors for sale

>not waxing your face every 5 weeks

>start off by soaking razor in rubbing alcohol
>wash face like normal, then exfoliate
>wash everything off face then get a moist, hot towel (but not wet)
>get some oil & rub it over where you want to shave (there's actual shaving oil, but baby oil works in a pinch). try to apply it going upward
>hold the hot towel over the area you're going to shave for at least 3 minutes
>take it off & put on shaving cream going upward again. the kind you actually lather yourself gets a closer shave than the spray-on stuff
>wash razor in cold water to get the alcohol off & wash it regularly in cold water to make sure it stays clean
>shave with the grain on your face, making sure to avoid the beard & sideburns areas
>go back over the areas, against the grain this time
>repeat last 2 steps with remaining areas
>wash face with cold water & soak in alcohol
>rub block of alum on wet face areas you just shaved
>try to work some aftershave in if you want

????
>Get out of shower or splash face with hot water
>Apply shaving cream, Let it sit for a minuet
>Run razor under hot water
>Shave with the grain and across
>Rinse with cold water

>>hold the hot towel over the area you're going to shave for at least 3 minutes
lol

Total overkill.

I can recommend slanted razors like the ikon x3
gives me super smooth shaves while also being more aggressive and easier to use than my old ej89

wunderbar slant is another good one

>wunderbar slant
Sounds like a German meme.

Plenty in Stockholm anyway. Everything from hair products to razors and blades.

This

Most of them retail parker

Unless you go to like Supercuts or some lame shit

have you heard of online shopping?

I use a safety razor from walmart. I forget the brand but it comes in an orange box and works like a charm. Blades last forever.
Unscrew that bad boy a little and it gets extra sharp. Perfect for close shaves. Don't let it unscrew itself too much though because then you end up with a bloody mess.

Straight Razor is best for long beard hair imo

DE razor for daily shave

Supermarkets here in Aus sell the blades at $10 for a box of 10.

I buy them online for $20 for a box of 100. Their cheap price means you can dispose of them more frequently thus getting a new blade and a better shave more often

I shave every second day and use a blade 3 times before throwing it.

6 days per blade, pack of 100 = 600 days of shaving for AU$20.

That's equivalent to 2 decent cartridge razors here

I don't even use cream. Just some l'occitane hair conditioner. Works better than any cream I've ever used. Shaving cream is a scam.

get a feather (japanese brand)

just shaved. kinda insane what a big difference 5 blades make instead of just 3 or worse 2.

I shaved cutthroat for many years and it can easily take off a beard in 1 pass. If your razor is pulling then it isn't sharp, if you can't cut hair with a gentle push then get it sharpened. When you actually cut use a scything motion to make the cutting even cleaner.

You don't need any of that. Just a razor, strop, some oil or wax, and preferably some kind of shave soap. Respectively these are like $20, $2, $5, $10. And you could reuse soap as wax, and diy a strop if you are really poor

>Wash face with hot water
>Build lather and apply to face
>wash razor with hot water
>Shave with the grain
>rinse face with cold water
>rinse razor with hot water, dry then apply oil to prevent rust

fucking patrick bateman tier shit

I haven't bought a new razor in years, haven't used shaving creme in about a decade, and shave every day. I just use water & a mach 3. Takes me 60 seconds to shave in the morning.

how the fuck does shaving without any shaving foam work? I imagine you could only do that if you shave literally every single day because once the hairs are too long it's gonna hurt and be difficult. it's not even nice when you do it if they are really short.

I could go a week or longer without shaving, shave in the shower no problem. It will just take a little longer to shave, maybe 3-5 minutes.

I could literally grow a beard about an inch long almost and still do this. Though it would be easier and faster to use clippers first.

You start off gradually. First you use mineral or olive oil and go slow. Then just warm water. Then just cool water. Your skin becomes so easy to shave, and isn't sensitive to knicks or razor burn, etc. I never use any sort of aftershave either. Skin is healthy as fuck this way.

>apply oil to prevent rust
The fuck are you shaving with, Carbon steel blades?

that's pretty impressive. maybe I try that olive oil method and see if it works for me.

Do you need to spent a lot of time to learn using these?

Yes. Modern day carts are stainless but stainless has poor edge retention so real deal shavers and some de blades are made from steel sometimes hardened

>Shave with the grain
This is never sufficient.

>warm water to face
>apply some oil
>shave slowly, gently
>do this 1-2 weeks
>ween off the oil
>slowly, gently with just warm water for a while

Eventually your skin will toughen up after a few weeks, and you can shave in 30 seconds like me.

I don't even think about it anymore. You will think it "hurts" at first because the alcohol in all the shit you currently use has made your skin sensitive as shit.

This. I don't know why people constantly say to only shave with the grain. Even if I do it twice over with the grain, I still have a rough face.

If I actually want a smooth face I need to do it once with the grain and once against it. Nothing else is good enough.

I'd agree, but going against fucking cuts me.

use a single-edge razor
nice and sharp

It's a blade, How much of a retard to you have to be to fuck up shaving?

this stuff works pretty well as a pre-shave

Aftershave probably contains alcohol, and dries up your skin buy an aftershave without alcohol

anyone use thayers as an aftershave?

Why would you even bother with an aftershave at all?

Never used the stuff just heard it is good for beginners, others swear by it.

1. Learn your grain pattern. If you want a successful shave with a DE Razor, you must know how to follow the grain.

2. Do not use ANY pressure. They're built to be naturally top heavy, so the weight will naturally cut hairs without added pressure from you. To resist the urge, try grabbing it near the tip of the handle and cutting that way.

3. Invest in a shaving brush and a quality cream or soap. Using propellant shaving creams are great in a fix, but they dry too quickly and can lead to knicks and cuts. It might seem daunting to buy a $10 shaving cream, but it will last you FAR longer than a can of Edge, as you only need to use an almond sized amount per shave. I can tell you personally that my shaves increased tenfold by making the switch - it is THAT IMPORTANT!

This. Start with Astra then switch to Feather when you feel comfortable.

A $20 carton of Astra blades lasts forever, as one blade can easily stay sharp until the 3rd or 4th shave.

i like to use barbasol stuff because its quick. am i missing out?

The shit in it that gives it that rubbery feel is known to cause cancer

what?! really?!

Is this decent enough to start?

I would recommend a decent synthetic brush
over badger or boar brushes.

this, if I wait more than 3 days, it the automatic for sure and then manual

Wait more than 3 days for what?