What historical event would make the best movie or miniseries?

What historical event would make the best movie or miniseries?
My pick would be the Cortés Expediton and fall of the Aztecs.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sovereign's_Servant
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It would get so many protesters it would be sort of ridiculous.

Paris Commune, 1871
Mexican Revolution
English Revolution

Fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Crusader States.

Fall of Constantinople.

Marco Polo's adventures (yes I know there's a show but it skipped his entire journey there which defeats the point)

It would probably try to portray Coryés as some ruthless white conqueror trying to oppress the peaceful natives. Completely ignoring the thousands of human sacrifices the Aztecs performed every year.

The Wars of the Roses deserves better than The White Queen and The Hollow Crown.

Maybe it could go for a middle ground and show both sides having both redeeming and questionable features, and avoiding any moral judgement whilst instead just saying "this is what happened."

The history of Arab Nationalism from the Arab Revolt to the Syrian Civl War.

Mongol invasion of Middle East

late 70's / early 80's in Formula One
Rise of the Rothschilds
Haitian Revolution
Time of Troubles

Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca easily, it's just an amazing expedition

>Was attached to the first expedition in the unknown territories of North America (the present Gulf states) initially numbered about 600 men
>They were hit by a hurricane after sail from Cuba, several deaths among the crew
>After they arrival at Florida, they spend several months of fighting native inhabitants through wilderness and swamp in Florida and all the way to the Mississipi river.
>Slaughtering and eating their remaining horses, they gathered the stirrups, spurs, horseshoes and other metal items. They fashioned a bellows from deer hide to make a fire hot enough to forge tools and nails. They used these in making five primitive boats to use to get to Mexico
>They were again hit by a hurricane in the mouth of the Mississipi River, 80 survivors
>After the winter, they are down to just 15 men
>they got enslaved by american indian tribe
>After escaping from the tribe, Cabeza de Vaca explored what is now the U.S. state of Texas, as well as the northeastern Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo León and Coahuila, and possibly smaller portions of New Mexico and Arizona. He traveled on foot through the then-colonized territories of Texas and the coast.
>After 8 years, only 4 men (Cabeza de Vaca included) reached New Spain.

Both of the powers were Cunts, both had good people, both did unspekable things, both were great. Why is so hard to points the lights and darks of ancient people without injecting actual politics to it?

This guy Cabeza de Vaca also discovered the Iguazu falls. Now that would be a great scene.

Vasco da gama's trip to India.

Aka a movie about the luisiads

great meme wars of 2009

The rise and fall of Mobutu

The conquest of Mexico was like a fantasy epic

I just wish they could do it like Zulu. It should be the standard on how to deal with colonialism in movies.

Justinian rise and fall series would be really cool.

The retreat from Kabul

The Siege of Sarajevo

The Siege of Stalingrad

The Bitch Wars

The Muntiny on the Bounty

The War of the Triple Alliance.

Bataan Death March

The Cuban Missile Crisis
The Fall of the Aztecs would be epic OP.

Oh man this would be dope as fuck. Especially the last war with Rwanda and Kablia.

>The Troubles

That would be a terrible watch.

the japanese invasion of manchuria

>The War of the Triple Alliance.

MFW the episode about the massacre of the children of Acosta-Ñu

The RAPE of the Sabine women.

Rated adult and on HBO.

Maybe if you are a brit

You caught me.

>his life.

1848 revolutions in Europe, Italy or Hungary

Never gonna happen.

Very true, but would need a great director, casting and to actually listen to the history advisors. Although giving more credit than he deserves to Procopius would make for an interesting scene or two.

The last two roman-persian wars. Start Maurice and Khosrow being bros an fighting Chobin in the first season so the audience can have sympathy for both sides in the second season, and avoid a 300 three: Heraclian Boogaloo.

A third season where both empires fall to Islam would be great but impossible to make.

>A blond 6ft conquistador sits atop a gold throne, flanked by native corpses, with a mirthless expression
>"Cortes, what shall we do with the women?"
>"Rape them, rape them all!" he thunders

wasn't exactly great for the irish either.

I would like to see a cold war documentary focusing on nothing but black markets in the middle east, southeast asia, africa and south america.

I'd give it three seasons

30 years war. Completely brutal warfare and interesting politics.

Vasco de Gama would be cool as well

If watch the fuck out of that

Showing all the perspectives from grizzled mercenaries to humble tribesmen to naive humanitarians to all the corrupt, crazy, stupid, and genius political players

Great Northern War, specifically focusing on Charles XII or Peter the Great

And who, are you...

>Mexican Revolution
this would make an intense as fuck movie, and it would have a sad as fuck ending

>Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.

A comfy show about Ibn Battuta's travels.

The Spaniards were shorter than the Aztecs at the time, living in disease infested (sometimes literal) shitholes does that to ya

>opening scene is the Defenestration of Prague
>all that violence to follow

30 Years War is heavily overlooked, a miniseries would be awesome

Conquest of Mexico would be great.

Napoleon's Egyptian campaign.

Battle of Zama.

Siege of Alesia

Battle of Eylau

Fall of Constantinople

Petersburg Siege

German invasion of France through the Marne campaign

>My pick would be the Cortés Expediton and fall of the Aztecs.

My nigga, I'm still amazed such a poetic story gets nothing but "le evil white memery", especially after Apocalypse, I mean Cortés crew were literally out of GoT:

>Captain Cortés, basically an outlaw who risked everything for a dream
>Alvarado, the bloodthirsty bastard
>Aguilar, a castaway friar
>Malitzin, Indian woman in love with Cortés
>That cabin boy who made himself friend of Moctezuma
>the warrior woman
>that necromancy guy
>the smallpox negro
>etc

seen this one?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sovereign's_Servant

Zulu was ahistorical propaganda. It showed the Zulu doing all kinds of crazy battle stuff that they never did in reality. Like standing in line getting shot at to "test" the firepower of the brits. Absolute bullshit that never happened.

>whilst instead just saying "this is what happened."

I wish more historical films were like this rather than the director moralising and finger wagging at every fucking opportunity

Yeah but something about the troubles would never be made because British people would not want to watch it out of colonial guilt

There are several bretty good movies about the Troubles, lads. 50 Dead Men Walking and '71 are the best known.
The best Troubles movies are the ones that show things from the eyes of an Irish/catholic youth in NI, because there's a big grey area between the idea of fighting British oppression and then becoming a civilian-targeting terrorist. Very interesting.

>inb4 Irishboo

Easter Rising, 1916.
Hardly the biggest nor the most significant event at the time, if we're looking at "what would make a good TV show or Movie" I'd say there's some potential. Probably Netflix-original tier though.

>Debates amongst members of the proposed rising about under what circumstances an uprising should take place, or where the line must be drawn to mark where fighting is called for
>Smuggling of gun, ammunition and other military supplies by Germans to Ireland
>The editing of a British conscription document to imply that those in support of an unprising would be arrested, as well as other tactics to combat the slow recruitment for the cause
>The crucial shipment of arms from the Germans arriving at the wrong time and being found out by the British
>The fuck up in orders that messed up mobilization of the rebels
>Initial success and hopeful attitude
>Britain bringing the rebllion to heel
>Realisation that it's all hopeless by the leaders
>Aftermath, executions and the affect it had on the populace

I dunno, I feel like focusing on a few of the key commanders and players while having some faggy "footsoldier" underlying plot that shows parallels between the leaders of the uprising and the people who were recruited to it would be interesting, and give insight as to how the rising actually went.